PDA

View Full Version : Exposing Bran's 2015 Playoff Run

sundizz
06-18-2015, 02:29 AM
Bran's ridiculously good raw stats are super skewed for the 2015 playoffs. Let's look at them honestly. My eye test says to me that a lot of what he did was "stat padded" in ways that don't have the same raw impact as the numbers would suggest.

First up, rebounds. My eye test said that Bran got a whole bunch of rebounds that didn't really have a big impact on the game and where a result of him just grabbing easy boards (due to his placement on the floor as a bigger sized guy).

LBJ: Rebounds per game: 11.3
TT: Rebounds per game: 10.8

LBJ: Contested rebounds per game (opponent within 3.5 feet): 3.8
TT: Contested rebounds per game (opponent within 3.5 feet): 5

LBJ: Uncontested rebounds per game (no opponent within 3.5 feet): 7.4
TT: Uncontested rebounds per game (no opponent within 3.5 feet):5.8

Out of the top 10 rebounders per game (2015 playoffs) of Dwight, James, Tristan, Dray, Deandre, Blake, Bogut, Timofey, Millsap and Horford.....Lebron James has the LOWEST contested rebound percentage out of all of them at 34.1% Funny enough, his teammates Timofey is the highest at 52.1%

Next up, his passing. My eye test showed me that Bran loves to hold the ball and not ever let his teammates get the statistical rewards. He could of easily drawn double teams and made the hockey assist pass, but instead preferred to drive/etc and make the hero pass for the shot attempt.

What the stats say, for the 2015 playoffs Bron averaged 1.1 hockey assists per game. Again, out of other players that had similar amount of usage he performed poorly (e.g., Curry was at 2.0, Wall at 2.3, and Paul at 2.6). The argument of his "bad" teammates is flawed since both Wall and Paul don't really have great passing players on their team either.

Lastly, his shooting. Ridiculously bad. Out of the top 10 ppg in the playoffs, Lebran had the 2nd worse (just above Lemarc) effective field goal percentage at 44%. That's terrible. Everyone else had above 50% (Curry and Paul at 57% being the highest)

All in all the stats show that Bran played a style of basketball that resulted in a ton of raw statistics but not an overall effective style of hoops to win against a good team. His only effective play was to drive. However, he wasted energy on getting useless rebounds, on holding the ball way way way more than any other player in the playoffs and not playing a team oriented style of hoops. Considering this is the whole playoffs and not just the finals it can't be said that at any point in these playoffs he was necessarily playing the right way (just good enough to beat the weak East). As many of us have said all along, it's Bran ball, or nothing. He has still, at this age, not learned how to utilize teammates or play within an offense and learn to conserve energy to drive the ball in the 4th when it matters. Just felt satisfied with raw stats and took a lot of terrible shots when it mattered.

Mr. Jabbar
06-18-2015, 03:15 AM
yup. long story short; 50 mpg with the ball in his hands

nba_55
06-18-2015, 03:21 AM
What a dumb post :lol :lol

''He could of easily drawn double teams and made the hockey assist pass,'' :lol :lol Really? Can you explain how he could have done that exactly?

plowking
06-18-2015, 03:23 AM
You can't stat pad rebounds and assists... What is he supposed to do, not grab those uncontested boards? He has the lowest contested rebound percentage out of those guys you mentioned? I imagine so, since he is the shortest mentioned after Green, and plays away from the basket more than they do.

Bron, and the Cavs in particular played in a way that focused on hiding their weaknesses rather than excelling their strengths. It was a must given their injuries. The fact is that series was close, and the Cavs were severely depleted. What exactly do you think was the reason for that? Lebron was the only one that consistently showed up. The stats showing they shot 18% without him on the floor, and their PPG with him off the floor halved tells you enough.

sundizz
06-18-2015, 03:54 AM
You can't pad points easily but you can def pad bounds. Assists are not being intentionally padded, but are a padded because he chooses to play a ball dominant style of hoops.

Tt was doing very well on the low block. He should of gotten way more touches in games 4, 5 and 6. Instead Bron would hold the ball forever, then do either a low percentage outsidr shot or wait until the double team came and pass it with less than 7 on the shot clock. The player that gets it only has time to hoist up a shot. There is not enough time left to do anything else.

Compare that to Curry who would get into the offense right away, draw the double and pass it to Dray with 12+ left on the shot clock. Plenty of time to make another pass, drive, etc.

Same with boards. If there is no one within 3.5 feet then you are not really rebounding. Anyone on the team could of stayed back to grab that. Bron could of gone ahead to get good post position. Instead he would just wait back. Poor decision making. Remember, these are stats for the whole playoffs not just one series.

While these mistakes didn't cost them against weaker teams, they did cost them against a great team.

It led to his fatigue. Kobe knew that you had to somehow get your teammates to keep you even for 3 quarters and you take over, be it rebounding, scoring, assisting etc in the 4th since you have energy left. Bron did the opposite - he did way too much in the first 3 quarters.

They had clear clear advantages in some areas but instead of using them he decided he shoumd try to do it all himself.

In either scenario, he would of lost. However, as someone that loves bball I hate seeing great players lose playing the wrong way. And he did play the wrong way - the stats show it. The only result of playing his chosen way was that he could lose while racking up big stats and be able to throw his teammates under the bus.

navy
06-18-2015, 04:01 AM
Hahha all that shit you posted and the only solution you made was to post up TT of all people. TT cant pass when help comes and he cant score consistently. They tried. The reality is that the Cavs were a 50 ortg team without Lebron and shot less than 20 percent on plays he didnt create.

Despite how bad the Cavs were offensively, if you check the stats they actually shot pretty well when Lebron was making the plays.

The plays he didnt create is what killed them. That's what happens when you go up against a defense that can switch anything and a team has no more healthy play makers. But I don't think it's fair to say he should have upped his usage.

imdaman99
06-18-2015, 04:04 AM
I saw him steal many rebounds from his own teammates :roll: I'd be ok with if it was because he wanted to run a fastbreak and score in transition... but nope, he slowed it down and milked the shotclock 20 seconds... I thought I was being rough when I said he is a stat-hog, he will steal everyone else's stats on the team but I guess I wasn't wrong.

warriorfan
06-18-2015, 04:07 AM
Agreed.

LeBron doesn't feed his teammates consistently, and if he does it's off the same play every time. It gets predictable down the stretch.

buddha
06-18-2015, 04:40 AM
but did you check his stats

SyRyanYang
06-18-2015, 04:50 AM
He does pad rebounds by playing terrible defense.
I wouldn't say he pads assists, it's just a result of his playing style.

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
06-18-2015, 05:13 AM
Check my shats

Trollsmasher
06-18-2015, 06:27 AM
He should've just let all those boards go (they were already getting outrebounded by the dubs anyway) and should've also let Delly create off the dribble or let Tristan post up instead of hogging the ball:applause:

That's a winning strategy right there

STATUTORY
06-18-2015, 08:31 AM
You can't stat pad rebounds and assists... What is he supposed to do, not grab those uncontested boards? He has the lowest contested rebound percentage out of those guys you mentioned? I imagine so, since he is the shortest mentioned after Green, and plays away from the basket more than they do.

Bron, and the Cavs in particular played in a way that focused on hiding their weaknesses rather than excelling their strengths. It was a must given their injuries. The fact is that series was close, and the Cavs were severely depleted. What exactly do you think was the reason for that? Lebron was the only one that consistently showed up. The stats showing they shot 18% without him on the floor, and their PPG with him off the floor halved tells you enough.
:facepalm
is this dude for real?

keep-itreal
06-18-2015, 08:42 AM
lebron "check my stats" james

andgar923
06-18-2015, 08:47 AM
I disagree with the OP when he states this is why Bron got "fatigued".

Once again I must reiterate, how can he get fatigued if he's not fighting for rebounds?

How can he get fatigued if he's not playing much defense?

How can he get fatigued if he's literally standing on the left perimeter on offense waiting for the ball almost all game long, not really cutting or moving without the ball?

How can he get fatigued if he's not double or triple teamed?

It's horseshit.

If he got tired he's not that great of an athlete like the world makes him out to be.

Dresta
06-18-2015, 09:05 AM
Amen - everything those who have watched Lebron's game closely understand about how he plays, and his clear limitations, brought on by him never really having played a team-orientated game in his life. Feel bad for Mozgov: looking like he's not carrying his weight on the boards, but that's just because Bron is taking all the easy ones from him :roll:.

guy
06-18-2015, 09:37 AM
The impact of rebounds and assists are overrated anyway.

sdot_thadon
06-18-2015, 10:01 AM
Seems like everybody running their mouths didn't really watch the series or what? Bunch of things in concert here that give you the results we saw. Lebron was tired, he was doing way too much. It's hard to do so many things well at once and energy consuming as well.

How exactly was he supposed to make a hockey assist pass? That's ridiculous. For one the passes he did make out of doubles and traps weren't clean and didn't lead to as many quality looks as we're accustomed to seeing. Why? Well for starters with Kyrie and Love out by default the spacing was shit from there on out. Gs played it perfectly to prevent making many big plays for his teammates. They closed out on the shooters extremely well the last 3 games because they didn't have to cover as much ground. So Kick outs were leading to pump fakes and awkward passes to the next man on the perimeter. Not to mention the the guys didn't do as good a job at finding open spaces as they did during the season.

He rebounded as well as he could have contested or not, I'd imagine a lower contest rate would come from I dunno, being a perimeter player on both ends?:facepalm

Fg% definitely was impacted by Love and Kyrie's absence. There were on off stats floating around ealier in the year tell the difference. Lebron is a big guy, he needs spacing to operate at his best. This is a known theme. That said he grinded out an incredible series with the odds stacked the other way.

andgar923
06-18-2015, 10:06 AM
Seems like everybody running their mouths didn't really watch the series or what? Bunch of things in concert here that give you the results we saw. Lebron was tired, he was doing way too much. It's hard to do so many things well at once and energy consuming as well.

How exactly was he supposed to make a hockey assist pass? That's ridiculous. For one the passes he did make out of doubles and traps weren't clean and didn't lead to as many quality looks as we're accustomed to seeing. Why? Well for starters with Kyrie and Love out by default the spacing was shit from there on out. Gs played it perfectly to prevent making many big plays for his teammates. They closed out on the shooters extremely well the last 3 games because they didn't have to cover as much ground. So Kick outs were leading to pump fakes and awkward passes to the next man on the perimeter. Not to mention the the guys didn't do as good a job at finding open spaces as they did during the season.

He rebounded as well as he could have contested or not, I'd imagine a lower contest rate would come from I dunno, being a perimeter player on both ends?:facepalm

Fg% definitely was impacted by Love and Kyrie's absence. There were on off stats floating around ealier in the year tell the difference. Lebron is a big guy, he needs spacing to operate at his best. This is a known theme. That said he grinded out an incredible series with the odds stacked the other way.
Ya'll are seriously sticking to this aren't you guys? :rolleyes:

I guess if it makes you feel better.

ArbitraryWater
06-18-2015, 10:27 AM
never seen someone more tired and worn down, too much damn fatique.... actually, most minutes ever in a 5-year span, 98+ games for 5 straight seasons, WITH olympics, surpassed MJ & Russell this year in all time playoffs minutes :lebronamazed:

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
06-18-2015, 10:28 AM
never seen someone more tired and worn down, too much damn fatique.... actually, most minutes ever in a 5-year span, 98+ games for 5 straight seasons, WITH olympics, surpassed MJ & Russell this year in all time playoffs minutes :lebronamazed:
Pretty crazy that hes played more in the playoffs than Russell and MJ in a much weaker conference than both and he isnt anywhere close to either as a playoff performer:biggums:

GIF REACTION
06-18-2015, 10:30 AM
Pretty crazy that hes played more in the playoffs than Russell and MJ in a much weaker conference than both and he isnt anywhere close to either as a playoff performer:biggums:
He just took the third best team of all time to 6 games with the 2nd worst supporting cast in the finals of all time while scoring or assisting on 62% of all Clevelands points in the 6 games

The Iron Fist
06-18-2015, 10:37 AM

You just don't get it. lebron spent 2 hours picking lettuce in the field, then another hour washing cars. After a moldy bologna sandwich and a palmful of water from the hose, he went and mowed three lawns. Then he went to the arena for pregame warmups.

sdot_thadon
06-18-2015, 10:56 AM

So you mean to tell me that playing help defense on one end, getting the rebound, bringing the ball up the floor, then working yourself into the post from the 3 pt line or setting up and making the only realistically possible play for your team on offense several times a quarter (who knows how many a game) wouldn't be taxing on top of the regular rigors of an nba game. Mind you playing a minimum of 46 minutes or so as well. I mean the guy barely took a 2 minute break per 1st half. He literally couldn't sit without the lead ballooning to 10. You can't be serious.

Angel Face
06-18-2015, 11:05 AM
So you mean to tell me that playing help defense on one end, getting the rebound, bringing the ball up the floor, then working yourself into the post from the 3 pt line or setting up and making the only realistically possible play for your team on offense several times a quarter (who knows how many a game) wouldn't be taxing on top of the regular rigors of an nba game. Mind you playing a minimum of 46 minutes or so as well. I mean the guy barely took a 2 minute break per 1st half. He literally couldn't sit without the lead ballooning to 10. You can't be serious.

Dude Jordan played large minutes in his Finals as well and on the top of that, he played lockdown defense. He was sick in game 5 of 1997 Finals ffs and hit a clutch shot to win the game.

OldSchoolBBall
06-18-2015, 11:38 AM
He just took the third best team of all time to 6 games

GS isn't even one of the 20 best teams of all time, much less top 3. :roll:

sdot_thadon
06-18-2015, 03:19 PM
Dude Jordan played large minutes in his Finals as well and on the top of that, he played lockdown defense. He was sick in game 5 of 1997 Finals ffs and hit a clutch shot to win the game.
So, let's just start this off with :oldlol:
The reason being I never mentioned jordan whatsoever. You guys bristle at the mere mention of lebron and jordan yet you guys are the main ones fueling the debate, ironic.

Back to the lesson at hand, MJ's burden is well known, documented, and unfortunately overstated. He always did the bulk of the scoring, he had guys to help with playmaking, as well as rebounding. He's never carried this kind of burden so deep into the playoffs. It is what it is. There's way too much evidence of Lebron's load this year to act like this. Please don't compare this to Mj because Mj hasn't done anything comparable to this.

Elosha
06-18-2015, 03:43 PM
So, let's just start this off with :oldlol:
The reason being I never mentioned jordan whatsoever. You guys bristle at the mere mention of lebron and jordan yet you guys are the main ones fueling the debate, ironic.

Back to the lesson at hand, MJ's burden is well known, documented, and unfortunately overstated. He always did the bulk of the scoring, he had guys to help with playmaking, as well as rebounding. He's never carried this kind of burden so deep into the playoffs. It is what it is. There's way too much evidence of Lebron's load this year to act like this. Please don't compare this to Mj because Mj hasn't done anything comparable to this.

I beg to differ. 1993 Jordan, same age as Lebron, did more than Lebron. Over 41 ppg on over fifty percent shooting plus 8.5 rebounds and over 6 assists. Not to mention far greater defense than Lebron and better ball control. Moreover, when his team truly needed a win in game 4, he scored 55 including a dagger over Charles Barkley to seal the game. That's a level of scoring Lebron simply couldn't reach.

So yes, what MJ did isn't comparable, it's better.

Now that's NOT to say that Lebron's overall effort and performance wasn't tremendous. It was. I'd give him a 9/10, and the only reason it wasn't higher is his overall poor shooting and lack of success in the clutch. We can make all kinds of excuses as why he didn't perform better in the clutch, but at the end of the day, he failed in that regard. And that's all that matters when your team needs that from you. Lebron's Finals was one of the best I've personally seen, but there were significant flaws in his performance. Perhaps when the media can take their eyes off his gaudy stats, they will start realizing that too.

Da_Realist
06-18-2015, 03:59 PM
http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showpost.php?p=11490051&postcount=47

He took 13 games off in the regular season, including 8 straight at one point. And he averaged 36 mins per game this season in the games he did play. That's like taking a whole quarter off per game! He also had NINE days off between the Conference Finals and the NBA Finals. How much more rest did he need?

Da_Realist
06-18-2015, 04:01 PM
I beg to differ. 1993 Jordan, same age as Lebron, did more than Lebron. Over 41 ppg on over fifty percent shooting plus 8.5 rebounds and over 6 assists. Not to mention far greater defense than Lebron and better ball control. Moreover, when his team truly needed a win in game 4, he scored 55 including a dagger over Charles Barkley to seal the game. That's a level of scoring Lebron simply couldn't reach.

Now that's NOT to say that Lebron's overall effort and performance wasn't tremendous. It was. I'd give him a 9/10, and the only reason it wasn't higher is his overall poor shooting and lack of success in the clutch. We can make all kinds of excuses as why he didn't perform better in the clutch, but at the end of the day, he failed in that regard. And that's all that matters when your team needs that from you. Lebron's Finals was one of the best I've personally seen, but there were significant flaws in his performance. Perhaps when the media can take their eyes off his gaudy stats, they will start realizing that too.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Elosha again. :facepalm

Da_Realist
06-18-2015, 04:02 PM
The impact of rebounds and assists are overrated anyway.

Especially the way Lebron gets them. I'm not saying they mean nothing or aren't valuable but sometimes his numbers look better than his game.

HOoopCityJones
06-18-2015, 04:05 PM

Every one of the Greats played large minutes when they were at his age or younger. Including the likes of Duncan, Dirk and Kobe. You never hear them whining or their fans complaining about fatigue. Didn't LeBJ clown Dirk for being sick in 2011? :roll:

The past few days , you would think Lebron is the only Sports figure in history to have carried a heavy work load. It's ridiculous to even discuss.

sdot_thadon
06-18-2015, 04:22 PM

So what you're telling me is Mj had that series with pippen missing every game after game 1 of the finals? You're also telling me Mj had this same series and didn't have grant from the 1st round on either? And just for shit's and giggles was missing any one of Paxson, BJ armstrong, bill cartwright, bill wennington........right.

And that's not to say maybe Mj couldn't have, but he didn't.

Elosha
06-18-2015, 04:50 PM
So what you're telling me is Mj had that series with pippen missing every game after game 1 of the finals? You're also telling me Mj had this same series and didn't have grant from the 1st round on either? And just for shit's and giggles was missing any one of Paxson, BJ armstrong, bill cartwright, bill wennington........right.

And that's not to say maybe Mj couldn't have, but he didn't.

No MJ didn't have all those teammates missing. But there's a very important point when comparing Lebron in 2015 to Jordan's Finals performances. Just like Lebron shouldn't be penalized for having these injuries to deal with, MJ shouldn't be penalized for not having to a lot players out with injuries. You can't discount Jordan's stats by saying he was playing with a full roster and then handicap Lebron's performance by saying he was playing without a full roster.

Put it this way. If Love and Kyrie Irving (and Varejo) were playing the full series would Lebron's overall stats be as good? Very likely not, his ppg/rebounds/assists would all probably take a hit, he'd shoot significantly less and his fg percentage would likely go up. But overall his numbers would be less. Lebron did what he had to with his depleted roster. Just as I believe Jordan would have done probably even more in 1993 if Pippen and Grant were out.

Bottom line is both players played the hands they were dealt against very good opposing teams. The main difference is Jordan put up overall superior stats and won, and Lebron also put up incredible stats but lost. The final difference is that Jordan played incredible in the clutch, (which really he did in at least 5 of his Finals), and Lebron, once again, did not.

Elosha
06-18-2015, 04:53 PM
"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Elosha again."

:facepalm

LOL, who the hell said that about me? Are people around here really that desperate for "reputation?"

Da_Realist
06-18-2015, 05:42 PM
"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Elosha again."

LOL, who the hell said that about me? Are people around here really that desperate for "reputation?"

No, I tried to add to your rep but ISH wouldn't let me. That's the message that showed up.

sdot_thadon
06-18-2015, 05:52 PM
No MJ didn't have all those teammates missing. But there's a very important point when comparing Lebron in 2015 to Jordan's Finals performances. Just like Lebron shouldn't be penalized for having these injuries to deal with, MJ shouldn't be penalized for not having to a lot players out with injuries. You can't discount Jordan's stats by saying he was playing with a full roster and then handicap Lebron's performance by saying he was playing without a full roster.

Put it this way. If Love and Kyrie Irving (and Varejo) were playing the full series would Lebron's overall stats be as good? Very likely not, his ppg/rebounds/assists would all probably take a hit, he'd shoot significantly less and his fg percentage would likely go up. But overall his numbers would be less. Lebron did what he had to with his depleted roster. Just as I believe Jordan would have done probably even more in 1993 if Pippen and Grant were out.

Bottom line is both players played the hands they were dealt against very good opposing teams. The main difference is Jordan put up overall superior stats and won, and Lebron also put up incredible stats but lost. The final difference is that Jordan played incredible in the clutch, (which really he did in at least 5 of his Finals), and Lebron, once again, did not.
I only really disagree with the 1st paragraph of your post. The thing is, this topic is about Lebron's performance. The conditions surrounding the performance are as important as the numbers themselves, so discarding the context I don't agree with whatsoever. The situation is what really makes this a bad comparison. Let's not play the what if game, let's talk about what actually happened.

Angel Face
06-18-2015, 05:53 PM
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w119/massdagod/mj/ohhh_zps9da0bf9c.png

sdot_thadon
06-18-2015, 06:06 PM
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w119/massdagod/mj/ohhh_zps9da0bf9c.png
What this supposed to mean?

Oh and that last graphic is utter trash and I hope you don't use it any further for any arguments.....

1. They compared his 1st 3 rings to entire careers worth of casts.

2. And a quick glance tells you the numbers are false as well. In Mj 2nd year of his career he had Gervin as a teammate who himself had 12 allstar appearances.......unless they meant in years they actually played with the guys.

Angel Face
06-18-2015, 06:17 PM
What this supposed to mean?

Oh and that last graphic is utter trash and I hope you don't use it any further for any arguments.....

1. They compared his 1st 3 rings to entire careers worth of casts.

2. And a quick glance tells you the numbers are false as well. In Mj 2nd year of his career he had Gervin as a teammate who himself had 12 allstar appearances.......unless they meant in years they actually played with the guys.

Yeah, because Gervin played with MJ in the Finals. :facepalm

sdot_thadon
06-18-2015, 07:34 PM
Yeah, because Gervin played with MJ in the Finals. :facepalm
No matter how you slice it, it's wrong. Oscar played in the finals with guys that had a combined 24 appearances. Something isn't adding up. He didn't have 20 allstar teammates in 2 yrs either.:coleman:

Elosha
06-18-2015, 09:09 PM
I only really disagree with the 1st paragraph of your post. The thing is, this topic is about Lebron's performance. The conditions surrounding the performance are as important as the numbers themselves, so discarding the context I don't agree with whatsoever. The situation is what really makes this a bad comparison. Let's not play the what if game, let's talk about what actually happened.

Glad that we can agree on something. :cheers:

I don't believe I'm ignoring the context, I'm fully appreciative of the fact that the conditions Lebron found himself in dictated that he play at his incredible levels this year. But I think it's silly to believe that just because Jordan didn't have the opportunity (if you can call it that) to play with an injured roster means he couldn't have lifted his game to even higher levels. That's what some people here on ISH and some media members seem to be implying.

Duncan21formvp
06-18-2015, 09:13 PM
Jimmy Butler shut him down to. Too bad Della and JR Smith were getting off in that series.

Hey Yo
06-18-2015, 09:19 PM
Bran's ridiculously good raw stats are super skewed for the 2015 playoffs. Let's look at them honestly. My eye test says to me that a lot of what he did was "stat padded" in ways that don't have the same raw impact as the numbers would suggest.

First up, rebounds. My eye test said that Bran got a whole bunch of rebounds that didn't really have a big impact on the game and where a result of him just grabbing easy boards (due to his placement on the floor as a bigger sized guy).

So goddamn dumb ^^^

guy
06-18-2015, 11:47 PM
Especially the way Lebron gets them. I'm not saying they mean nothing or aren't valuable but sometimes his numbers look better than his game.

I mean just in general, not just with Lebron. Rebounds are overrated cause some of them can be somewhat pointless. A rebound doesn't necessarily lead to points or stops the other team from scoring (they may have not scored anyway). With assists, certain points that are granted assists still require a lot of skill from the scorer i.e. three-pointers for example. Not to mention, one player dominating the ball that much to the point that they get so many assists isn't necessarily a good thing for obvious reasons. This is why there are so many games by players with eye popping rebound and/or assist numbers that from watching don't really seem that impressive.

Of course, points can be overrated too. Could be on low efficiency, could be due to high pace, could be in blowouts where a player stat pads or is genuinely just trying to bring his team back but can't get the momentum back that they may have let get out of hand in the first place (Lebron 2014 Finals for example.) In general though, I see much less of this. Players taking a ton of shots to score a lot is usually out of necessity (Jordan 1998 Finals, AI 2001 Finals, Lebron 2015 Finals for example). High pace teams usually share the ball a lot so its not a ton of scoring from one individual. Scoring a lot in blowouts doesn't really happen a lot too much.

I guess in general, stats are overrated and can be very misleading.