PDA

View Full Version : NBA Players Idolize Kobe They Don't Idolize Lebron

JohnMax
06-18-2015, 10:59 PM
This right here is what it's all about....what the media thinks of Kobe means nothing compared to this type of admiration....and it further shows why Lebron will never be in Kobe's class...I literally could go on and on with about 90% of the players with the same viewpoint....from Trevor Ariza wearing Kobe jerseys on the streets to John Wall and Carmelo to Dr. J picking Kobe saying Kobe is the best post MJ to Shaq picking Kobe over LeBron...to Bird threatening to burn his MVPs if they didn't give Kobe one to MJ picking Kobe as his successor ....the list is non ending.

Dirk Nowitski:

“He’s probably the greatest player in my generation that I played against,” said Nowitzki, who has 27,239 career points and will likely pass Elvin Hayes and Moses Malone over the next few weeks to move up to seventh on the list.

“Obviously Shaq was very dominant, Tim Duncanwas great, but I just loved watching Kobe. I don’t think there will ever be another MJ, but he’s definitely as close as it gets that we’ll ever see.

“He had it all. He’s a clutch player, can make shots from anywhere. I’ve had a blast from watching him during his career very closely. That’s a heck of an accomplishment for sure.”

Nick Young on how he lied to MJ so the Bobcats would give him a contract:

“He asked me where I learned my fadeaway from,” Young recalled after working out for the former Charlotte Bobcats seven years ago. “Jordan was looking at me dead in my eyes. I was going to say Kobe Bryant, but I was forced to say Jordan at that moment because I wanted him to pick me.”

Paul George on idolizing Kobe:

It’s so hard to compare anyone to Michael, but I think it’s fair to say Kobe is the second coming of MJ,” said Indiana Pacers forwardPaul George, who grew up watching Bryant while playing for Knight High in Palmdale. “Kobe has transcended the league the same way I felt Michael did.”
George endlessly mimicked Bryant’s mannerisms in pick-up games, ranging from his fadeaway jumpers to his jaw strutting.

Lebron James idolizing Kobe:

Cleveland forward LeBron James recently told reporters he had a Bryant poster on his bedroom wall growing up. The poster served as an inspiration for James as he followed Bryant’s path in morphing from high school phenom to NBA star.

Kevin Durant idolizing Kobe:

Oklahoma City forward Kevin Durant told L.A. News Group last year he endlessly watched Bryant’s scoring outbursts with hopes he could somehow replicate them.

Klay Thompson Idolizing Kobe:

Golden State Warriors guard Klay Thompson took similar notes, the former Santa Margarita standout often imitating Bryant’s footwork and post-ups.“To get on his level is going to take a lot of work. It’s basically impossible,” Thompson said. “But he’s never afraid to take the big shot, and that’s what I’ve always tried to do.”

Brandon Jennings:

Both Thompson and Detroit Pistons guard Brandon Jennings attended Bryant’s summer camps years before turning pro. “For a guy to be able to do that and still get ready for practice was pretty amazing,” said Jennings, a Compton native. “That just made me want to work harder every day.”

Stephen Curry:

I talk to Luke all the time just about his journey with Kobe and with the Lakers and championships and stuff."

Zach LaVine wears the No. 8 because of Kobe:

"I feel like everyone has that one person," LaVine said. "I feel like that was it for me. That was just my idol growing up. It's crazy competing on the same floor, growing up my whole life watching this dude

D-Wade: Kobe is the second greatest Alltime:

"Well, it used to be Kobe Bryant ... the second best all time ... now, I have a new favorite player to play against ... my former teammate, LeBron James." Not only did Wade show respect to Kobe in terms of always anticipating their matchups every single year, but he also called him the second best all time.

Westbrook and James Harden:

Westbrook and Harden played together on the same junior high AAU basketball team during Kobe’s three-peat era in Los Angeles. They can recall their worship of Bryant as a basketball god amongst mortals. "We all wanted to be Kobe more than anything in the world and it seemed like everyone had dawned a poster of him on their bedroom walls next to their Dragonball Zposter."

Incoming Rookies name their favorite player:

From Schuhmann of NBA.com:
1: Kobe Bryant, L.A. Lakers — 21.2 percent

2: LeBron James, Miami — 15.2 percent

T-3rd: Kevin Durant, Oklahoma City & Dirk Nowitzki, Dallas — 12.1 percent

T-5th: Kevin Garnett, Brooklyn & Chris Paul, L.A. Clippers — 9.1 percent

Others receiving votes: Carmelo Anthony, New York; Vince Carter, Dallas; Tim Duncan, San Antonio; James Harden, Houston; Kawhi Leonard, San Antonio; Steve Nash, L.A. Lakers; Dwyane Wade, Miami

Conclusion:

“That door is closed. Good luck waiting on another Kobe Bryant,” said ESPN analyst Jalen Rose. “The sport is his first, second and third priority.”

Bryant expressed indifference on whether he will pass the torch to anyone. But he still believes he has served a purpose in instilling values that he believes has influenced the NBA’s current generation that he described as “gym rats.”

SouBeachTalents
06-18-2015, 11:02 PM
Thanks TMZ

SugarHill
06-18-2015, 11:02 PM
Thanks TMZ

outbreak
06-18-2015, 11:03 PM
https://pmcdeadline2.files.wordpress.com/2014/09/tmz-logo.jpg?w=446&h=299&crop=1

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
06-18-2015, 11:06 PM
https://31.media.tumblr.com/83c31f81cf7a1ac335a484886e299db4/tumblr_ndyue3RA4F1rk5hjao1_500.gif

ArbitraryWater
06-18-2015, 11:07 PM
http://i.gyazo.com/8e996ce422050b0aea7b2a01dc4daef7.png

monkeypox
06-18-2015, 11:09 PM
How is this at all like TMZ? This is more like deadspin or bleacherreport.

FKAri
06-18-2015, 11:09 PM
And yet nobody wants to play with Kobe
dat respect doe :oldlol:

STATUTORY
06-18-2015, 11:10 PM
There's nothing really admirable or aesthetic about Lebron's game, it doesn't connect on emotional level with players or fans. That's the disconnect between his statistical greatness and failure of the eye test

IncarceratedBob
06-18-2015, 11:11 PM
who has the better life?

kobe's daughters hate his guts and have been bullied in school because their dad is a "rapist"

lebron has a great family life and will be a billionaire before his 35th birthday.INSANE

kennethgriffin
06-18-2015, 11:12 PM
And yet nobody wants to play with Kobe
dat respect doe :oldlol:

i wouldn't wanna play on a team with god either

too much pressure

Solid Snake
06-18-2015, 11:13 PM
I'd like to know specifically what Kobe did to show indifference about passing the torch. I'm just curious like how he vocalized that indifference lol.

Dro
06-18-2015, 11:14 PM
If true.....

Which it is.......

:applause:

FKAri
06-18-2015, 11:14 PM

too much pressure

Spoken like a true kobestan :oldlol:

34-24 Footwork
06-18-2015, 11:16 PM
I think everyone who plays basketball has tired to at least practice Kobe's turn-around fade away. Practice that shit for countless hours and it still looks suspect. Not sure how the fvck he does it over 6'10 guys...

Rocketswin2013
06-18-2015, 11:17 PM
To be fair, LeBron is a lot harder to replicate. I'm not trolling when I say this either, but if you can get a shot up, you can emulate Kobe. Just chuck, with style. You see guys like that at your local recreational center. The shit LeBron does isn't something that looks feasible.

Like, a chase down block and a ****ing tomahawk makes your heart beat faster when you see it live, but you won't attempt that shit.

A fade-away? A lot easier to attempt. Accuracy is another thing altogether, though.

This is why I loved Nash, Stockton, Paul, Iverson etc. Normal sized human beings who did stuff I could practice. 3's, layups, ball-handling, passing, steals, etc. Btw, I had my.growth spurt late, when I was 10 - 13, a small guard was my only hope.

Bankaii
06-18-2015, 11:17 PM

too much pressure
Gods don't get carried to a championship by a 7 foot mortal.

HOoopCityJones
06-18-2015, 11:19 PM
This is already known that legends and new booty alike prefer Kobe.

Dr. J said he was Top 5 all time.

Angel Face
06-18-2015, 11:20 PM
Who would try to immitate Lebron in the first place? Lebron's game is ugly, poor foot work, shitty post moves, ball hogging stat padder, choker, he leaves when things gets tough, quitter and the list goes on.

34-24 Footwork
06-18-2015, 11:22 PM
To be fair, LeBron is a lot harder to replicate. I'm not trolling when I say this either, but if you can get a shot up, you can emulate Kobe. Just chuck, with style. You see guys like that at your local recreational center. The shit LeBron does isn't something that looks feasible.

Like, a chase down block and a ****ing tomahawk makes your heart beat faster when you see it live, but you won't attempt that shit.

A fade-away? A lot easier to attempt. Accuracy is another thing altogether, though.

This is why I loved Nash, Stockton, Paul, Iverson etc. Normal sized human beings who did stuff I could practice. 3's, layups, ball-handling, passing, steals, etc. Btw, I had my.growth spurt late, when I was 10 - 13, a small guard was my only hope.

Chris Paul, Iverson , Stockton and Nash have 0 rings combined.

Keep practicing your layups though, tiger.

DetroitPistonFan
06-18-2015, 11:23 PM
LeBron needs to go to a big market team in order for players to like him.

jstern
06-18-2015, 11:23 PM
Someone can clearly create this exact same thread for Lebron. It's just a bunch of favorable quotes from players about Kobe, with a title suggesting, making the not so bright reader think that by praising Kobe, they are putting down Lebron.

Get a bunch of quotes from players saying that Lebron is the GOAT, and then pick and choose from probably thousands of favorable Lebron quotes that have been said throughout his career.

Don't be stupid.

FKAri
06-18-2015, 11:31 PM
Chris Paul, Iverson , Stockton and Nash have 0 rings combined.

Keep practicing your layups though, tiger.

duh. that's basketball. Height = championships. How long have you been watching?

BBallZen83
06-18-2015, 11:39 PM

too much pressure

Bingo. That's actually how you view the guy. You need to get outside and get some fresh air bro.

knicksman
06-18-2015, 11:41 PM

if its too easy, then why cant bran do it. Especially after being constantly exposed in the finals. LOLs you dont know shit about basketball beyond stats.

triangleoffense
06-18-2015, 11:44 PM
who has the better life?

kobe's daughters hate his guts and have been bullied in school because their dad is a "rapist"

lebron has a great family life and will be a billionaire before his 35th birthday.INSANE
Link or gtfo

24-Inch_Chrome
06-18-2015, 11:49 PM
This is already known that legends and new booty alike prefer Kobe.

Dr. J said he was Top 5 all time.

I guess that settles it. :rolleyes:

Oscar Robertson said LeBron was the GOAT so I guess that's now official.

HOoopCityJones
06-19-2015, 12:21 AM
I guess that settles it. :rolleyes:

Oscar Robertson said LeBron was the GOAT so I guess that's now official.

Get the fucc out your feelings stan, I'm just saying this isn't some new thing a lot of Legends prefer Kobe to Lebron, and vise versa. Bill Laimbeer said something similar about how he'd take Lerbon over Jordan earlier this month.

The point is everyone has their preferences when it comes to these two.

And of course Oscar said that, he plays a similar game. Like wise for Dr. J and Kobe.

keep-itreal
06-19-2015, 12:24 AM
only Paul George and Kevin Durant idolize Lebron.

Not surprising that both of them got owned by Lebron. Bunch of betas

Kobe_6/8
06-19-2015, 12:25 AM
This right here is what it's all about....what the media thinks of Kobe means nothing compared to this type of admiration....and it further shows why Lebron will never be in Kobe's class...I literally could go on and on with about 90% of the players with the same viewpoint....from Trevor Ariza wearing Kobe jerseys on the streets to John Wall and Carmelo to Dr. J picking Kobe saying Kobe is the best post MJ to Shaq picking Kobe over LeBron...to Bird threatening to burn his MVPs if they didn't give Kobe one to MJ picking Kobe as his successor ....the list is non ending.

Dirk Nowitski:

I stopped reading after the Nowitzki spelling error.

24-Inch_Chrome
06-19-2015, 12:29 AM
Ge the fucc out your feelings stan, I'm just saying this isn't some new thing a lot of Legends prefer Kobe to Lebron, and vise versa. Bill Laimbeer said something similar about how he'd take Lerbon over Jordan earlier this month.

The point is everyone has their preferences when it comes to these two.

And of course Oscar said that, he plays a similar game. Like wise for Dr. J and and Kobe.

Sarcasm = stan, coolio. That logic. :applause:

Former players are incredibly fickle with their rankings of current players, their opinions aren't worth much because they're constantly changing and are more often than not biased in one way or another (ie. Laimbeer taking LeBron because he's bitter about Jordan).

There's not much of a point in citing their opinions, let alone trying to pass them off as being indicative of anything valuable. Kobe and LeBron are not top 5 caliber players, the only time you'll see either in that tier is in lists coming from their stans.

HOoopCityJones
06-19-2015, 12:36 AM

Former players are incredibly fickle with their rankings of current players, their opinions aren't worth much because they're constantly changing and are more often than not biased in one way or another (ie. Laimbeer taking LeBron because he's bitter about Jordan).

There's not much of a point in citing their opinions, let alone trying to pass them off as being indicative of anything valuable. Kobe and LeBron are not top 5 caliber players, the only time you'll see either in that tier is in lists coming from their stans.

And NBA legends apparently. :confusedshrug:

SouBeachTalents
06-19-2015, 12:40 AM

I never got why people put such emphasis on former players opinions, when like you said they can be just as biased as anybody else. I would think Jordan's performance as GM would help prove that even the GOAT can be terrible at evaluating players/talent.

Not only that, some of them are just plain dumb. Donovan McNabb was in the league 10 seasons and didn't even know a game could end in a tie, something I knew when I was 9. And here's Emmitt Smith, the all time leading rusher, he's played and been involved with football his entire life, and here is his "analysis"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGT08DTk3NM

You're telling me I should take his advice on football over somebody else just because he used to play?

24-Inch_Chrome
06-19-2015, 12:41 AM
And NBA legends apparently. :confusedshrug:

Hakeem is an NBA legend, he isn't anywhere close to the top 5. :confusedshrug:

Exact same thing applies to Kobe and LeBron.

Kobe_6/8
06-19-2015, 12:43 AM
I never got why people put such emphasis on former players opinions, when like you said they can be just as biased as anybody else. I would think Jordan's performance as GM would help prove that even the GOAT can be terrible at evaluating players/talent.

Not only that, some of them are just plain dumb. Donovan McNabb was in the league 10 seasons and didn't even know a game could end in a tie, something I knew when I was 9. And here's Emmitt Smith, the all time leading rusher, he's played and been involved with football his entire life, and here is his "analysis"

You're telling me I should take his advice on football over somebody else just because he used to play?

Playing skill is not the same as coaching skills, or scouting skills. A great player (McNabb) doesn't need to know a game can end in a tie, because he plans to win every game.

sportjames23
06-19-2015, 12:44 AM
who has the better life?

1) How do you figure Kobe's daughters have been bullied?

2) Lebron's got a looooong way to go if he wants to be a billionaire. MJ just recently became a billionaire after 30+ years and his endorsements still dwarf Lebron's. Bron ain't becoming a billionaire no time soon.

HOoopCityJones
06-19-2015, 12:46 AM

Do you not know the difference between not well spoken and uninformed? If he didn't have to keep up the analytic persona and just talked about the game no holds barred , he'd be very knowledgeable about the game he played his entire life. :facepalm

The problem with you stat geeks is you think just because you know how to crunch numbers means you know the game better, it just means you know math bruh, real talk.

HOoopCityJones
06-19-2015, 12:49 AM
Hakeem is an NBA legend, he isn't anywhere close to the top 5. :confusedshrug:

Exact same thing applies to Kobe and LeBron.

Opinions vary. When did you become the authority on Top anything exactly?

24-Inch_Chrome
06-19-2015, 12:52 AM
Opinions vary. When did you become the authority on Top anything exactly?

Of all the top 10 lists I've ever seen, the only ones that feature Kobe or LeBron in the top 5 are those created by player stans. Their opinions are worthless, their lists are worthless, they are worthless.

HOoopCityJones
06-19-2015, 12:54 AM
Of all the top 10 lists I've ever seen, the only ones that feature Kobe or LeBron in the top 5 are those created by player stans. Their opinions are worthless, their lists are worthless, they are worthless.

Bro, stop trying to kid yourself. You're just as big a stan as anyone on this forum, just because you don't let it casually be known you use it to your advantage but I'm certain your own top ten is full with bias for somebody.

24-Inch_Chrome
06-19-2015, 12:58 AM
Bro, stop trying to kid yourself. You're just as big a stan as anyone on this forum, just because you don't let it casually known you use it to your advantage but I'm certain your own top ten is full with bias for somebody.

I've said multiple times that Steve Nash is my favorite player and that I'll go overboard defending him, that's the closest I'll come to being a stan. When I do defend him, I use more than conjecture to back my argument and I do accept his weaknesses.

Only player in my top 10 who I may be giving too much credit to is Tim Duncan, but I've also been careful to make it clear who he's tiered with (and should be considered essentially on a level with despite being ranked slightly higher).

HOoopCityJones
06-19-2015, 01:00 AM
I've said multiple times that Steve Nash is my favorite player and that I'll go overboard defending him, that's the closest I'll come to being a stan. When I do defend him, I use more than conjecture to back my argument and I do accept his weaknesses.

Only player in my top 10 who I may be giving too much credit to is Tim Duncan, but I've also been careful to make it clear who he's tiered with (and should be considered essentially on a level with despite being ranked slightly higher).

So basically , because Steve Nash is no where near anyone's Top ten you'll penalize the actual great players like Lebron and Kobe for as long as you can? Ok, got it. You can stan Timmy all you want, he's in my Top 5 for sure.

24-Inch_Chrome
06-19-2015, 01:01 AM
http://www.gifsforum.com/images/gif/funny%20gifs/grand/retard-funny-gifs-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-804.gif

:sleeping

Duncan > Kobe/Bron doe.

HOoopCityJones
06-19-2015, 01:02 AM

Duncan > Kobe/Bron doe.

That's what I just said, you should use that retard gif on your self sweetie. Got yo ass mad as fucc you don't even know what just went down. :facepalm

24-Inch_Chrome
06-19-2015, 01:04 AM
http://www.gifsforum.com/images/gif/funny%20gifs/grand/retard-funny-gifs-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-804.gif

HOoopCityJones
06-19-2015, 01:04 AM
You steaming :roll:

kawhileonard2
09-03-2022, 11:41 PM
Agreed!

1987_Lakers
09-04-2022, 01:03 AM
2) Lebron's got a looooong way to go if he wants to be a billionaire. MJ just recently became a billionaire after 30+ years and his endorsements still dwarf Lebron's. Bron ain't becoming a billionaire no time soon.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/06/04/lebron-james-becomes-first-active-nba-player-billionairethe-money-lesson-he-learned-as-a-kid.html#:~:text=LeBron%20James%20has%20officially %20become,retired%20basketball%20star%20Michael%20 Jordan.

:oldlol:

This dude is never right

Spurs m8
09-04-2022, 07:19 AM
Still rings true 7 years on