PDA

View Full Version : Stephen Curry's overall championship playoff run

sundizz
06-19-2015, 12:33 AM
How good was it?

Stephen Curry (2014-2015)
28.3 ppg, 6.4 apg, 5 rpg, 1.9 spg on 46%, 42%, 84%, efg of 57%, 31.04 usage percentage

For comparison (their 1st chip as the undisputed #1 man, perimeter players):

Dwyane Wade (2005-2006)
28.4 ppg, 5.7 apg, 5.9 rpg, 2.2 spg, 1.1 bpg on 50%, 38%, 81%, efg of 51%, 31.73 usage percentage

Kobe Bryant (2008-2009)
30.2 ppg, 5.5 apg, 5.3 rpg, 1.7 spg, .9 bpg on 46%, 35%, 88%, efg of 49%, 32.95 usage percentage

Lebron James (2012-2013)
30.3 ppg, 5.6 apg, 9.7 rpg, 1.9 spg, .7 bpg on 50%, 26%, 74%, efg of 52%,
29.24 usage percentage

To me, it seems like he did comparatively well, and played less minutes than those three. They all had an equally good cast of supporting players (Gasol, Odom, Shaq, Wade, Bosh). He did it within a team concept and still put up #1 option stats.

Agree/disagree? You can talk about his defense, but he played pretty good defense over the course of the playoffs. He is a point guard, so his impact on that side of the ball will of course be diminished a lot in comparison to a ball hawking shooting guard like Wade or Bryant. He did his role within an excellent defense - similar to a Tony Parker or Chauncey. He was more effective than the rest of these players (efg) and had a lower usage rate.

plowking
06-19-2015, 12:38 AM
To me, it seems like he did comparatively well, and played less minutes than those three. They all had an equally good cast of supporting players (Gasol, Odom, Shaq, Wade, Bosh). He did it within a team concept and still put up #1 option stats.

In what way was Wade's 06 team comparable to any of these teams? :oldlol:
I'm a Heat fan and I can tell you that 06 was one of the weakest finals champions in a while. :oldlol:

What Wade did was as impressive as it gets given his average team. Saying that though, the league was in a bit of a rut post that 3 peat Laker team. It was pretty bad watching some of the ball from 05-07, so Wade's competition was slightly worse too.

Curry was great, but he is behind all 3 of those guys in terms of impact on the court IMO.

keep-itreal
06-19-2015, 12:38 AM
he faced no competition in the run

warriorfan
06-19-2015, 12:44 AM
How good was it?

Stephen Curry (2014-2015)
28.3 ppg, 6.4 apg, 5 rpg, 1.9 spg on 46%, 42%, 84%, efg of 57%, 31.04 usage percentage

For comparison (their 1st chip as the undisputed #1 man, perimeter players):

Dwyane Wade (2005-2006)
28.4 ppg, 5.7 apg, 5.9 rpg, 2.2 spg, 1.1 bpg on 50%, 38%, 81%, efg of 51%, 31.73 usage percentage

Kobe Bryant (2008-2009)
30.2 ppg, 5.5 apg, 5.3 rpg, 1.7 spg, .9 bpg on 46%, 35%, 88%, efg of 49%, 32.95 usage percentage

Lebron James (2012-2013)
30.3 ppg, 5.6 apg, 9.7 rpg, 1.9 spg, .7 bpg on 50%, 26%, 74%, efg of 52%,
29.24 usage percentage

Agree/disagree? You can talk about his defense, but he played pretty good defense over the course of the playoffs. He is a point guard, so his impact on that side of the ball will of course be diminished a lot in comparison to a ball hawking shooting guard like Wade or Bryant. He did his role within an excellent defense - similar to a Tony Parker or Chauncey. He was more effective than the rest of these players (efg) and had a lower usage rate.

His stats are even better if you compare per 100 possessions to adjust for the fact that Curry played less minutes.

TheCorporation
06-19-2015, 12:45 AM
Curry played broke down teams, right? All teams had a major injury or two

Grizzlies - Conley
Rockets - Beverly
Cavs - Love, Irving, Varejao

Harison
06-19-2015, 01:14 AM

Grizzlies - Conley
Rockets - Beverly
Whats your point? Which Lebron's championship run havent faced injured teams? None? Exactly.

illmaticone
06-19-2015, 01:17 AM
Definitely a great run, however I agree with one of the above posters that his impact on the court isn't quite on the level of the other 3 guys.

D-Wade316
06-19-2015, 01:18 AM
Nowhere near good as the 3, to be honest. Offense as well as defense.

Spurs5Rings2014
06-19-2015, 01:19 AM
Whats your point? Which Lebron's championship run havent faced injured teams? None? Exactly.

Good point. These Bran stans don't know when to call it quits.

:oldlol:

plowking
06-19-2015, 01:24 AM

Who was injured in 2011-12 playoff run on any of the teams Bron faced?

Outside of Deng in 12-13, I can't think of anyone else they faced while injured too.

In fact, the Heat dealt with the Bosh injury, while the teams they played against were healthy in comparison to what they had that year.

sundizz
06-19-2015, 01:30 AM
I do think that Lebron, Wade and Kobe are better, but it is mainly due to the eye test. They are bigger, badder, and just seem more like the prototypical type of players to win in the NBA. Lebron def was better, and that run was probably the best playoff run of the past 10-15 years. He was a beast.

Curry does stuff that people can't really comprehend in my opinion. The gravity he has on the floor is similar to what Shaq had. You have to cover him from 28 feet in, there is no weakness in his offensive game when it comes to scoring. He can hit the three, hit the midrange, finish inside, hit the floater etc (as seen by his efg).

His biggest weakness by far is his ability to pass through/around double teams. He def got flustered and made some turnovers etc because of that. It is something he'll work on in the offseason. That constant doubling pressure in the playoffs was new and he struggled with it against some teams. Once he figured it out (usually halfway through game 3 or game 4 in both Memphis and Cleveland) it was pure dominance from there on out.

He scored 10.8 ppg at 75% TS in the 4th. That is unbelievable almost. It is better than any of those above mentioned first year runs by a wide margin.

Curry scores better in bunches than any of those players. If he was as aggressive a shooter as those guys he could of easily dropped his efg by 3-5% and upped his scoring by 6 ppg. Would it of made his team better? Likely not - they succeed as a team. Others would of had less rhythm and shot a poorer percentage.

Wade had Shaq. Shaq in the East is just not fair. Curry had the best team, but his 2nd best player practically became a nobody during the playoffs. It was a clear cut #1 and an excellent 2 to 7 type team. Historically, the playoffs have had either two top 7 (at the moment playing) players like a Wade + Shaq, Kobe + Gasol, Lebron + Wade to win a ring. He combined the Spurs system with the production of one straight superstar.

In a vacuum Dray, Klay, Iggy, Shawn, Barbosa, Speights, Lee, etc are all just good to possibly great (Iggy, Klay) players. With him on the floor they become unstoppable at times. The amount of space given to the other players on the floor because of him is similar to what people got with a prime Shaq. Iggy was taking practice jumpers out there.

D-Wade316
06-19-2015, 01:30 AM
His stats are even better if you compare per 100 possessions to adjust for the fact that Curry played less minutes.
Oh really?

Wade - 36.3ppg, 7.5reb, 7.3ast, 49.7fg%, 80.8ft%, 5.0tov, 26.9PER, .240 WS/48
Lebron - 38.7ppg, 12.4reb, 7.2ast, 50.0fg%, 73.9ft%, 4.5tov, 30.3PER, .284 WS/48
Kobe - 39.0ppg, 6.9reb, 7.1ast, 45.7fg%, 88.3ft%, 3.3tov, 26.8PER, .238 WS/48
Stephen - 36.9ppg, 6.5reb, 8.3ast, 45.6fg%, 83.5ft%, 5.1tov, 24.5PER, .228 WS/48

Rocketswin2013
06-19-2015, 01:32 AM

Grizzlies - Conley
Rockets - Beverly
DMO being out with a back injury was bigger than Beverly being out IMO. D-MO is secretly the Rockets second-best player. He undoubtedly was in the regular season too. The defense stayed borderline elite without Dwight out there. DMO was basically playing center and was second option for large chunks of the year.

On the topic: OP this is too vague. You have to show more, like the post here. http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=343591

There are more things to look at than just those stats. Honestly, Currys might be the worst when you consider everything. I only say "might" because I dont know too much about Wade's run outside of his great Finals.

SyRyanYang
06-19-2015, 01:34 AM
He played better defense than Lebron did this year.

sundizz
06-19-2015, 01:39 AM
Personally, I have him as the worst too.

1. Lebron
2. Wade
3. Kobe
4. Curry

I just am tired of the shtick that he isn't an amazing generational player. He has changed the way basketball is being played. He is not a fraud like Rose, or a non-champ like Nash (who i have the utmost respect for), or an inefficient chucker (who is the most entertaining player in the league) like Westbrook. He is legitimately as good as anyone in the league on a given day.

Does anyone have the "Respect ratings" for the playoff? If you aren't familiar with what that is, this is copy/pasted from the insider article:

Back in October, we took a close look at the concept of gravity and the players who have the most gravitational pull on the basketball court. What do we mean by gravity? Check out Kevin Pelton's helpful FAQ and a ranking of the NBA's top floor-spacers using STATS LLC's SportVU player-tracking data.

Looking at last season's data, Curry topped the list in my respect rating, which quantifies a player's gravitational pull by using SportVU's proprietary gravity score and distraction score -- two fancy STATS LLC metrics provided to ESPN Insider.

To recap, gravity score measures how closely a player's defender sticks to him off the ball. Higher gravity scores generally belong to bigs because their primary defender must stay close and also protect the basket. On the other hand, guards typically have lower gravity scores simply because defenders have more liberty to shade off their guy on the perimeter. But elite shooters typically generate more attention off the ball.

Then there's distraction score, which quantifies how much a player's defender is willing to help off the ball to stop the ball handler. The worse he is as a shooter, the more likely his defender will be distracted by the ball handler. To identify the most effective floor-spacers in the NBA, I created a composite score that combines the two metrics. The result is what I've called "respect rating," which has now been translated to a 1-to-100 scale with 100 being the most magnetic (think sharpshooters) and 1 being least magnetic (think non-scoring bigs).

SouBeachTalents
06-19-2015, 01:40 AM
OP, how would you compare it to '10 Kobe & '13 LeBron?

Cleverness
06-19-2015, 01:41 AM

Grizzlies - Conley
Rockets - Beverly

lol nope

Was anyone calling the Heat with major injuries when LeBron wore a mask? If anything, Conley inspired the team by wearing a mask

Beverly was TORCHED during the reg season by Curry.. in fact, Curry probably would have put up better numbers had Beverly not sat on the bench the entire series. RP Beverly? lol please, 4-0 vs him... would have been 4-0 in playoffs too if she played

Cavs - Yes; can't deny that an injured Kyrie Irving & Kevin Love changed the series. But you also have to give credit to the way Warriors play... they play smart and shoot open shots so they don't get injured as much as guys who play like AI/Wade

And if you wanna compare opponents, please name some great opponents that 06 Wade, 09 Kobe, and 2013 LeBron played... doubt half this board even watched the 06 playoffs. (Pistons were pretty good, but don't tell me Mavericks with #2 option Jason Terry was a great team)

'09 Kobe played a Rockets team without it's two best players lolwow and his best competition was either a Carmelo-led Denver (Knicks) squad or Dwight Howard-led Magic with Turkoglu as his second option, while Curry played a Rockets team with 1st team all NBA mvp runner-up James Harden with Dwight as the 2nd or 3rd banana. '15 Rockets >>> '09 Magic

'13 Bron? Milwaukee Bucks had a losing record lolwtf, Bulls' #1 option Derrick Rose was injured, so they beat a Joakim Noah-led Bulls team lol, taken to 7 games by a 49-win Indiana Pacers wow great run Ray Allen

And given the fact that Curry played far less minutes than those guys, I'd say he played at least on their level, but didn't have the pressure to carry the team as much as those guys. Also, Curry had just as much impact by getting his teammates involved and running the offense instead of playing iso ball all game.

navy
06-19-2015, 01:42 AM
Curry had a great run. He hasnt reached the level of the players you listed, but I think he has a chance to show the world if he does something similar again. Lebron and Kobe both repeated. Wade couldnt match it.

Also you meant 11-12 Lebron in the OP. Not 12-13.

ClipperRevival
06-19-2015, 01:44 AM
28.3 ppg in a championship winning playoff run is impressive. He was clearly "the man" and that carries additional weight.

HOoopCityJones
06-19-2015, 01:54 AM
lol nope

Was anyone calling the Heat with major injuries when LeBron wore a mask? If anything, Conley inspired the team by wearing a mask

Beverly was TORCHED during the reg season by Curry.. in fact, Curry probably would have put up better numbers had Beverly not sat on the bench the entire series. RP Beverly? lol please, 4-0 vs him... would have been 4-0 in playoffs too if she played

Cavs - Yes; can't deny that an injured Kyrie Irving & Kevin Love changed the series. But you also have to give credit to the way Warriors play... they play smart and shoot open shots so they don't get injured as much as guys who play like AI/Wade

And if you wanna compare opponents, please name some great opponents that 06 Wade, 09 Kobe, and 2013 LeBron played... doubt half this board even watched the 06 playoffs. (Pistons were pretty good, but don't tell me Mavericks with #2 option Jason Terry was a great team)

'09 Kobe played a Rockets team without it's two best players lolwow and his best competition was either a Carmelo-led Denver (Knicks) squad or Dwight Howard-led Magic with Turkoglu as his second option, while Curry played a Rockets team with 1st team all NBA mvp runner-up James Harden with Dwight as the 2nd or 3rd banana. '15 Rockets >>> '09 Magic

'13 Bron? Milwaukee Bucks had a losing record lolwtf, Bulls' #1 option Derrick Rose was injured, so they beat a Joakim Noah-led Bulls team lol, taken to 7 games by a 49-win Indiana Pacers wow great run Ray Allen

And given the fact that Curry played far less minutes than those guys, I'd say he played at least on their level, but didn't have the pressure to carry the team as much as those guys. Also, Curry had just as much impact by getting his teammates involved and running the offense instead of playing iso ball all game.

Yao didn't get hurt til Game 3 or 4 and The Rockets made it to the post season damn near without Mcgrady. Still took us to 7. Denver was The Knicks? lol keep reaching.

the Dwight led Magic was better than Houston too, just look who they beat that year out East.

navy
06-19-2015, 02:00 AM
or a non-champ like Nash

Do you think Nash could win a campionship with a defense as good as the Warriors?

(Suns got robbed by the refs but that's another topic :facepalm )

Cleverness
06-19-2015, 02:02 AM
Yao didn't get hurt til Game 3 or 4 and The Rockets made it to the post season damn near without Mcgrady. Still took us to 7. Denver was The Knicks? lol keep reaching.

the Dwight led Magic was better than Houston too, just look who they beat that year out East.

Yao got hurt in game 3, and yeah, I was exaggerating about Denver Nuggets. They were the toughest opponent for the Lakers that year, and imo on par with the '15 Rockets. Kobe was phenomenal in that series.

knicksman
06-19-2015, 02:18 AM
how bout you include fts? Thats where curry stands out. And his TS is much better than the others. When it comes to offense, curry is better than all of them. And bran and wade played in the least

navy
06-19-2015, 02:20 AM
how bout you include fts? Thats where curry stands out. And his TS is much better than the others. When it comes to offense, curry is better than all of them.
He did.

warriorfan
06-19-2015, 02:22 AM
how bout you include fts? Thats where curry stands out. And his TS is much better than the others. When it comes to offense, curry is better than all of them.

Yes, Curry doesn't have to rely on free throws to score 30 points. He can get his points within the flow of the game and doesn't have to rely on mass iso flopping to get his.

plowking
06-19-2015, 02:24 AM

The Bulls didn't have Rose all season. It isn't like they lost part of their dynamic or synergy because he didn't play all of a sudden after playing a full season. He literally didn't play a game that entire season.

TheMilkyBarKid
06-19-2015, 02:26 AM
Oh really?

Lebron - 38.7ppg, 12.4reb, 7.2ast, 50.0fg%, 73.9ft%, 4.5tov, 30.3PER, .284 WS/48
Stephen - 36.9ppg, 6.5reb, 8.3ast, 45.6fg%, 83.5ft%, 5.1tov, 24.5PER, .228 WS/48
:applause:
Warriorfan with more unjustified crap.

It is an insult to Lebron, wade and kobe to have curry compared to them.

imnew09
06-19-2015, 02:27 AM
Nigguh wasnt even fmvp

tpols
06-19-2015, 02:48 AM

The 09 nuggets were just as good as the Rockets this year.. 09 Magic were better than this year Cleveland.

13 spurs >> any team golden state faced.

24-Inch_Chrome
06-19-2015, 02:50 AM
Oh really?

http://i.imgur.com/EOBJAyk.gif

iamgine
06-19-2015, 03:01 AM
All the opposing PGs got injured. Not Curry's fault but that definitely have an impact into making his stats look better.

Inferno
06-19-2015, 03:21 AM
he faced no competition in the run

Yeah, Anthony Davis, Gasol + Conley + Randolph, Harden + Howard, and Bron aren't any competition :lol

Inferno
06-19-2015, 03:26 AM
All the opposing PGs got injured. Not Curry's fault but that definitely have an impact into making his stats look better.

Curry torched Beverly in the regular season either way, Conley played all but 1 game, and Steph dropped like 25 or something in Game 1 with Kyrie on him.

Admittedly I don't watch Jrue Holiday that much so IDK how he'd fair against Steph, but he wouldn't change the series from a Warriors' sweep to a Pelicans' win :oldlol:

SyRyanYang
06-19-2015, 03:37 AM
Delly is way better at defense than Kyrie. Kyrie's injury cost Curry his FMVP if anything.

iamgine
06-19-2015, 04:02 AM
Curry torched Beverly in the regular season either way, Conley played all but 1 game, and Steph dropped like 25 or something in Game 1 with Kyrie on him.

Admittedly I don't watch Jrue Holiday that much so IDK how he'd fair against Steph, but he wouldn't change the series from a Warriors' sweep to a Pelicans' win :oldlol:
Playoff is different. Conley played but we know he played hurt pretty bad.

With Kyrie, Jrue and Conley healthy Curry would have to expand a lot more energy on defense and offense regardless of if he's guarding them or not. Also series would likely be longer. His energy level and stats would definitely take a hit.

Also no one is talking about Pelicans winning.

Cleverness
06-19-2015, 04:57 AM
The 09 nuggets were just as good as the Rockets this year.. 09 Magic were better than Cleveland.

13 spurs >> any team golden state faced.

Guess we just disagree. Imo

Dwight w/ James Harden, Jason Terry, Trevor Ariza, Josh Smith, etc >=
LeBron, Mozgov, Thompson, Jr, Shumpert, Deli >

Dwight w/ Turkoglu, Lewis, injured Nelson, Lee

ImKobe
06-19-2015, 06:50 AM
I don't get the injury excuse with his individual production

dude played consistently all Playoffs and earned his ring, look at the amount of 3s he shot and how his efficiency is still so high. You can say that Kyrie/Love were injured in the Finals, but he faced a better defender in Dellavedova. Who cares about Patrick Beverley lol, he's a scrub. Conley was injured yes but Curry's team overcame being down 1 - 2 in a series with a Game 4 on the road twice.

look at his elimination games

Game 4 vs NO - 39/8/9 on 55/75/92 shooting
Game 6 vs MEM - 32/6/10 on 44/62/100 shooting
Game 5 vs HOU - 26/8/6/5 on 33/27/75 shooting
Game 6 vs CLE - 25/6/8/3 on 42/27/75 shooting

he played an all-around game and contributed big even when his shot wasn't falling

raprap
06-19-2015, 06:54 AM
Sundizz is the best Curry fan on ISH. Well done bro. :applause:

knicksman
06-19-2015, 06:59 AM
He did.

i mean exclude. And he has the highest efg% which is same as TS