PDA

View Full Version : In your opinion, was Kobe a better shooter than Jordan?

HOoopCityJones
06-21-2015, 08:11 PM
https://youtu.be/P2vNyQAf4tY

https://youtu.be/PoYeFQ4Q1Go

The baseline one dribble pull up J is just filthy. :wtf:

SexSymbol
06-21-2015, 08:12 PM
Yes, he's better in long mid-range and better from 3 by a wide margin.
They're pretty equal in short-mid mid-range.

24-Inch_Chrome
06-21-2015, 08:13 PM
http://i.giphy.com/O5NyCibf93upy.gif

iamgine
06-21-2015, 08:14 PM
Long range yes.

Young X
06-21-2015, 08:14 PM
Better long distance shooter. Jordan was better everywhere else. LOL @ "equal midrange".

SexSymbol
06-21-2015, 08:15 PM
Better long distance shooter. Jordan was better everywhere else. LOL @ "equal midrange".
easily, maybe even edge to Kobe, especially prime-peak Kobe who lived in mid-range.

24-Inch_Chrome
06-21-2015, 08:16 PM
easily, maybe even edge to Kobe, especially prime-peak Kobe who lived in mid-range.

http://i.giphy.com/O5NyCibf93upy.gif

Cold soul
Long range yes and I truly believe Kobe is slightly better shooter overall.

HOoopCityJones

We acting like Kobe's mid range game is pedestrian now? :oldlol:

pauk
06-21-2015, 08:17 PM
Kobe was better throughout his career from perimeter (3), but Jordan became as good from there eventually, as good as Kobe ever was.... and always was better from midrange and if it counts anything closer anyways (but we are talking about jumpshooting right?).... so all in all i think Jordan became somewhat of a better jumpshooter.

Cold soul
06-21-2015, 08:18 PM

Both MJ/Kobe have GOAT mid range game not many players in history were better.

24-Inch_Chrome
06-21-2015, 08:19 PM

Kobe had a really good midrange game...but it's not at Jordan's level. That shouldn't diminish Kobe's midrange shooting, it just shows how great Jordan's truly was. No one is using a word like "pedestrian," it can still be elite without equaling Jordan.

Spurs5Rings2014
06-21-2015, 08:20 PM
Kobe was better throughout his career from perimeter (3), but Jordan became as good from there eventually, as good as Kobe ever was.... and always was better from midrange and if it counts anything closer anyways (but we are talking about jumpshooting right?).... so all in all i think Jordan became somewhat of a better jumpshooter.

Can you please direct me to your first posts back, sir?

HOoopCityJones
06-21-2015, 08:20 PM
https://youtu.be/eL7bacWPh3o

Mid range seems pretty fuccing lethal.

pauk
06-21-2015, 08:21 PM
Can you please direct me to your first posts back, sir?

What?

SamuraiSWISH
06-21-2015, 08:23 PM
Jordan was easily better from mid range. Not that Kobe wasn't very good himself, however. Kobe was better from long, long range. Mike wasn't incompetent three point shooter, and got better as his career progressed. It wasn't a staple of his game though, letting defenses off the hook.

Wade's Rings
06-21-2015, 08:24 PM
https://youtu.be/eL7bacWPh3o

Mid range seems pretty fuccing lethal.

Nobody said it wasn't lethal. They said it wasn't as great as Jordan's :facepalm

eliteballer
Kobe's a much better shooter off the dribble, from anywhere on the floor basically:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idBaZWbH1qQ

STATUTORY
Jordan's midrange game was based on the threat of drive and thus ability to get open midrange shots, Kobe had the uncanny ability to knock down midrange to 3 pointers with hands in his face the way Jordan was never able to.

So if the question is who could get the highest percentage midrange jumper in a live basketball game, I'll tip my hat to Jordan.

If the question is who can make the most difficult shot consistently, Kobe and it's not even close

SamuraiSWISH
06-21-2015, 08:27 PM
Kobe had the uncanny ability to knock down midrange to 3 pointers with hands in his face the way Jordan was never able to.
a) that's called a dumb shot
b) no, MJ did and could make difficult, contested shots
c) we are faulting MJ's superior ability to create separation

:biggums:

pauk
06-21-2015, 08:28 PM
Kobe was the closest thing to Jordan only visually... you know starting with same size/position, to gamestyle, to mannerisms... and he didnt keep that intention as a secret at all....

But dont get confused.... even though Kobe was great Jordan was everything Kobe was AND MUCH MORE of literally all of it... except for i guess 3pt% & ft%...

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
06-21-2015, 08:29 PM
Not sure who's the better shooter, but if you're going with absolute effectiveness from all-around the floor, you gotta roll w/ Mike.

I believe Mike/Bird/Kobe are in the same tier of mid-range jumpshooters though.

STATUTORY
06-21-2015, 08:30 PM

no I was just trying to clarify OP's question

I concede MJ could create easier shots. I'm saying if Kobe and MJ had to take the same type of shots, Kobe would make more of them cause he's a better pure shotmaker. But MJ was the better shotcreator

SamuraiSWISH
06-21-2015, 08:30 PM
Kobe's a much better shooter off the dribble, from anywhere on the floor basically:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idBaZWbH1qQ
Same way MJ was a vastly superior off the ball player, better at the catch and shoot. Which allowed him to better blend into an offense scoring high volume without the need for pounding the rock to get into rhythm for his jump shots.

Cold soul
06-21-2015, 08:31 PM
Not sure who's the better shooter, but if you're going with absolute effectiveness from all-around the floor, you gotta roll w/ Mike.

I believe Mike/Bird/Kobe are in the same tier of mid-range jumpshooters though.

Don't forget about Dirk amazing from mid range too his pull up from distance. :bowdown:

G0ATbe
06-21-2015, 08:32 PM
By far. Jordan was absolute shit from 3 point land, midrange its a little more debatable but kobes fadeway gives him the edge. And kobe was light years ahead of Jordan in terms of making contested shots.

HOoopCityJones
06-21-2015, 08:32 PM

Only dumb if you miss. Homie was alittle extreme, but you know what I mean.

Kobe didn't win those GM surveys about the last shot for nothin.

Prometheus
06-21-2015, 08:33 PM
Jordan was easily better from mid range. Kobe better from long range.

This.

It also seems that Kobe was streakier, while Jordan was more consistent.

Overall, you've got to give "better shooter" to Kobe. If for no other reason than the fact that he's better at the harder ones.

SamuraiSWISH
06-21-2015, 08:34 PM
Only dumb if you miss.
You serious right now?

Kobe didn't win those GM surveys about the last shot for nothin.
He lost to Jordan ...

Asukal
It's a toss up. They're clearly as good as each other in shooting.

The difference is that Jordan takes better shots and Kobe takes too many low percentage shots. It might be due to IQ or athleticism or both that sets them apart. :confusedshrug:

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
Don't forget about Dirk amazing from mid range too his pull up from distance. :bowdown:

Absolutely. Dirk/Nash/CP3/King/Dantley/English ... All of those guys (and a few more who I'm not really thinking about) are in that Tier 1 category, IMO.

Ne 1
06-21-2015, 08:36 PM
By far. Jordan was absolute shit from 3 point land, midrange its a little more debatable but kobes fadeway gives him the edge. And kobe was light years ahead of Jordan in terms of making contested shots.

Welcome back pauk/kobe143/godbe

HOoopCityJones
06-21-2015, 08:37 PM
You serious right now?

He lost to Jordan ...

I'm not even saying he's better, but those dumb shots are Kobe's shots.

https://youtu.be/2KKJmSYaC8E

Listen to Kenny at 1:20 for what i mean.

Wade's Rings
06-21-2015, 08:38 PM

STATUTORY
06-21-2015, 08:39 PM
so in summary Kobe takes more difficult shots and make them on consistent basis the way MJ could never do

MJ because of his big hands and athleticism and weaker defensive era was able to create easier shots for himself

So the answer to the question depends on what the OP really means.

G0ATbe
06-21-2015, 08:41 PM
http://replygif.net/i/1355.gif

Cold soul
06-21-2015, 08:48 PM
The big difference between Kobe and MJ were Jordan had higher basketball IQ, better off the ball, greater and smarter shot selection, better natural athleticism, quickness and easier separation from defenders, superior defender Jordan was more consistent player game in and out basics.

SamuraiSWISH
06-21-2015, 08:48 PM
so in summary Kobe takes more difficult shots and make them on consistent basis the way MJ could never do
Couldn't or didn't? Because this is pure hyperbole now.

Of course MJ made some incredibly difficult shots. He just didn't take them at near the rate Kobe does because a) he created better looks, and b) he didn't take dumb shots near as consistently as Kobe.

weaker defensive era
Troll gonna Troll, I see. Dude was averaging 29 PPG at 35 years old, in a more offensive depressed era.

:oldlol:

Mr. Jabbar
06-21-2015, 08:51 PM
I love easy questions: YES.

https://youtu.be/PoYeFQ4Q1Go?t=42

Rocketswin2013
06-21-2015, 08:58 PM
Absolutely. Dirk/Nash/CP3/King/Dantley/English ... All of those guys (and a few more who I'm not really thinking about) are in that Tier 1 category, IMO.
Yeah Paul is probably current best midrange shooter. Possibly better than Kobe was.

Btw, MJ was better. At the very least, he utilized it better.

ArbitraryWater
06-21-2015, 09:18 PM

KB got the long mid range you say? Okay, pretty equal short mid range? What about, mid, mid range?

Prime_Shaq
06-21-2015, 09:48 PM
Kobe is a better 3 point shooter. Jordan's mid range game is slightly ahead but he's GOAT in mid range shooting, Kobe is really good as well maybe about Top 3-5 all time.

andgar923
06-21-2015, 09:52 PM
Stupid question.

MJ hands down the better mid range shooter, that's how he made his legacy and won multiple rings and scoring championships.

3pt shooting Kobe has the slight edge.

But this non-sense that Kobe is better at making tougher shots, pure idiocy.

MJ is so good that he makes Kobe's tough shots seem pedestrian.

MJ simply got better separation, elevated better, jumped quicker, hung in the air longer and more importantly didn't get himself in tough situations like Kobe. MJ beat double teams before they arrived, and when needed hit the shot over 2 or 3 people, short, tall, middle sized, you name it. He'd double pump in between 2 defenders in mid air from three point land, you name it he did it.

There is nothing that Kobe did that MJ didn't or couldn't do.

Kobe simply took more 'tough' shots (at least tough for him) because he couldn't get easier ones, but he also missed a ton of them. To make it seem as tho he was great at it is silly and highly misleading.

ClipperRevival
06-21-2015, 09:52 PM
The big difference between Kobe and MJ were Jordan had higher basketball IQ, better off the ball, greater and smarter shot selection, better natural athleticism, quickness and easier separation from defenders, superior defender Jordan was more consistent player game in and out basics.

I would agree with everything except the IQ part. Kobe had as good an IQ. And i would say Kobe's skills were a tad higher, because, as you said, MJ had the superior athleticism to fall back on. To me, Kobe was the most skilled wing player ever.

andgar923
06-21-2015, 09:56 PM
I would agree with everything except the IQ part. Kobe had as good an IQ. And i would say Kobe's skills were a tad higher, because, as you said, MJ had the superior athleticism to fall back on. To me, Kobe was the most skilled wing player ever.
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

The simple fact that Kobe took so many dumb ass contested shots is proof that he's not as smart as MJ, nor does he have the same skill level.

That alone is a huge piece of evidence.

If he was so skilled and had such a high IQ he wouldn't rely so much on the 3pt shot and he'd have more than one season averaging 50% fg and more than a few scoring titles.

KObe imo is the most skilled offensive scorer of his era, but not better than MJ. I will say that he might be the closest to MJ which is a huge compliment.

Imo the most skilled player ever is Bird.

ClipperRevival
06-21-2015, 10:01 PM
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

In terms of abilities as an iso scorer, yeah, i would say Kobe was right there with MJ and possibly a tad higher because he didn't have MJ's off the charts quickness and explosive first step. Even at 35, MJ was quicker than a 32 year old Kobe.

plowking
06-21-2015, 10:06 PM

It is actually the opposite.

Kobe is great from 10-15 feet, but quite average from 16-23 feet his whole career.

http://www.hoopdata.com/player.aspx?name=Kobe%20Bryant

STATUTORY
06-21-2015, 10:26 PM
It is actually the opposite.

Kobe is great from 10-15 feet, but quite average from 16-23 feet his whole career.

http://www.hoopdata.com/player.aspx?name=Kobe%20Bryant

do you understand shot selection? Kobe takes contested shots and still makes them at above average clip, that shows how good of a pure shotmaker he is. Yet you are using htat stat to discredit him :oldlol: :oldlol: :oldlol: :roll:

plowking
06-21-2015, 10:36 PM
do you understand shot selection? Kobe takes contested shots and still makes them at above average clip, that shows how good of a pure shotmaker he is. Yet you are using htat stat to discredit him :oldlol: :oldlol: :oldlol: :roll:

Why should I reward him for taking contested shots? Taking dumb shots at the detriment of the team should somehow be rewarded? And that narrative is so played out. Kobe occasionally takes some over the top shots, but as a total over a season, they don't make up more than 50 of the total shots he takes.

How many dumb shots do you think Kobe takes exactly? Either way, it isn't changing his % by more than 1-1.5% over a season.

BBallZen83
06-21-2015, 10:46 PM
MJ was a better midrange shooter simply because he was more consistent. Kobe can be extremely streaky. When he is lights out, there is no one in the history of mankind that can hit some of the shots he hits, but he doesn't have near the consistency that MJ had. The only thing Kobe has over Jordan is an outside shot. The vast majority of people (outside of ISH) would tend to agree.

Droid101
06-21-2015, 11:16 PM
Kobe taking a contested mid range shot was a much better decision than letting Smush Parker/Kwame Brown/whoever else take ANY shot ANYWHERE on the floor, and those are simply facts.

Kobe's bbiq is higher than anyone on this stupid forum. If you think he was chucking to chuck, you're dumb as hell.

PickernRoller
06-21-2015, 11:21 PM
Kobe is the better shooter overall. MJ is the better finisher at the rim - like A LOT better. MJ had more dynamism.

STATUTORY
06-22-2015, 12:20 AM
Why should I reward him for taking contested shots? Taking dumb shots at the detriment of the team should somehow be rewarded? And that narrative is so played out. Kobe occasionally takes some over the top shots, but as a total over a season, they don't make up more than 50 of the total shots he takes.

How many dumb shots do you think Kobe takes exactly? Either way, it isn't changing his % by more than 1-1.5% over a season.
cause the question is how good of a shooter he is?

plowking
06-22-2015, 12:26 AM
cause the question is how good of a shooter he is?

And he is as good as his numbers tell us.

STATUTORY
06-22-2015, 12:33 AM
And he is as good as his numbers tell us.

no because you just admitted the numbers are biased because of selection bias

plowking
06-22-2015, 12:48 AM
no because you just admitted the numbers are biased because of selection bias

If you take into the sheer amount of shots that a player like Kobe takes over a season, you'd see that given those so called crazy shots, the percentage change would be negligible.

Not to mention the so called "selection bias" you take into account is a constant. Not that I agree it even exists, and that it is overblown. Kobe has never really been all that great a 3 point shooter or a long 2 shooter as his fans make him out to be.

All time great 10-15 feet though. As good as Mike. I think they're equal both 10-15 feet and 16-23 feet. Kobe better from the 3 point line, while Mike is just far and above Kobe at the ring. Take into account that Jordan is taking far more shots at the ring, and settling for less 16-23 foot shots, and it makes sense that he has a 5% advantage from the field in total.

jstern
06-22-2015, 12:58 AM
I always felt that it was weird that Jordan was the better mid-range shooter (from just watching them play), yet Kobe was "better" at 3 pointers. But is you look at Jordan's 3 point shooting percentage his first few years, he usually shot like 20 a season, and back then those were bailout shots. And then in 89-90, the year where Jordan decided to make the 3 point shot part of his game, and he more than double his career total, he shot better than all but one of Kobe's 19 seasons. Not including Kobe's rookie year where the line was shorter. So imagine that, the one season he decided to shoot often, it was more elite than Kobe's.

So overall I feel Jordan is a more capable jump shooter, just that he didn't rely much on the 3.

3ball
06-22-2015, 01:14 AM
I always felt Jordan was the better mid-range shooter
the best, or very close

3ball
06-22-2015, 01:18 AM
If you take into the sheer amount of shots that a player like Kobe takes over a season, you'd see that given those so called crazy shots, the percentage change would be negligible.

Not to mention the so called "selection bias" you take into account is a constant. Not that I agree it even exists, and that it is overblown. Kobe has never really been all that great a 3 point shooter or a long 2 shooter as his fans make him out to be.

All time great 10-15 feet though. As good as Mike. I think they're equal both 10-15 feet and 16-23 feet. Kobe better from the 3 point line, while Mike is just far and above Kobe at the ring. Take into account that Jordan is taking far more shots at the ring, and settling for less 16-23 foot shots, and it makes sense that he has a 5% advantage from the field in total.
A lot of the shots Kobe makes look hard, wouldn't look as hard for MJ.

This is a fact.

24-Inch_Chrome
06-22-2015, 01:18 AM
3ball, do you have any shooting numbers for Jordan (as in FG% by distance)? I could swear that you posted a link to a site that had them at some point.

3ball
06-22-2015, 01:19 AM
Jerry West thought MJ was the best jumpshooter in the game (2nd paragraph):

http://articles.latimes.com/1996-05-12/magazine/tm-3107_1_michael-jordan/4

Ron Artest said MJ was Reggie Miller from mid-range:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5dXZxj6Zbc&t=0m57s

People don't realize that MJ was the best athlete in the game AND the best jumpshooter - MJ was like a mid-range version of Steph Curry, with GOAT athleticism.

Soundwave
06-22-2015, 01:24 AM
Kobe's a better 3 point shooter than MJ, but Jordan is a better mid-range shooter and a better finisher at the rim/in the key.

TheBigVeto
06-22-2015, 02:43 AM
No, definitely not. Jordan >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Kobe.
But Jordan isn't GOAT jumpshooter in the history of the game, that's just Jordantard talk.

f0und
06-22-2015, 10:27 AM
kobe is only slightly better than jordan in 3pt%...in the regular season. and thats pretty much it. jordan's 3pt% was better in the playoffs and in the finals. and everywhere else(midrange, in the paint) in every other circumstance, jordan was better.

kobe gives you the illusion of being a better shooter by taking alot of tough shots and making some of them. for some idiots, kobe gets a few extra admiration points for each make. like how alpha it is. how tough it is. how noone else could make it. but they never stop to think how absolutely stupid that shot is in the first place.

f0und
06-22-2015, 10:30 AM
Kobe taking a contested mid range shot was a much better decision than letting Smush Parker/Kwame Brown/whoever else take ANY shot ANYWHERE on the floor, and those are simply facts.

Kobe's bbiq is higher than anyone on this stupid forum. If you think he was chucking to chuck, you're dumb as hell.

thats no excuse. his efficiency from that time is about the same as it was during his time with shaq. or his time with team USA. the fact is, it doesnt matter who he plays with, he always takes dumb shots. and plus, he's not as good a shooter as people make him out to be.

julizaver
06-22-2015, 10:55 AM
https://youtu.be/P2vNyQAf4tY

https://youtu.be/PoYeFQ4Q1Go

The baseline one dribble pull up J is just filthy. :wtf:

If they are in a gym shooting 3 pointers or FTs Kobe had a chanse to outshoot Jordan. But this doesn't count as Jordan was the better player, better scorer (high efficient) and better player overall. In his prime years 87-93 he was virtually unstopable and doesn't need 3 pointers to dominate the game. He scored on jump shots, fadeaways, was strong finisher at the post (lay ups, dunks). Although Kobe perfected some of his moves he tryes a lot of risky, sometimes unusually difficult shots, gambling on offence instead of just pass the ball (something he could do btw).

PsychoBe
06-22-2015, 10:59 AM
thats no excuse. his efficiency from that time is about the same as it was during his time with shaq. or his time with team USA. the fact is, it doesnt matter who he plays with, he always takes dumb shots. and plus, he's not as good a shooter as people make him out to be.

kobe takes "dumb" shots because he makes "dumb" shots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0OfOIDLsIo

no other basketball player in the history of game has consistently made these kind of shots. none.

plowking
06-22-2015, 11:05 AM
kobe takes "dumb" shots because he makes "dumb" shots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0OfOIDLsIo

no other basketball player in the history of game has consistently made these kind of shots. none.

There is nothing consistent about it. Your argument is all over the place.

You guys say his shooting percentages are lower because of these shots he takes, but then he somehow makes them consistently? Do you know the word "oxymoron"? :oldlol:

Kobe_6/8
06-22-2015, 11:08 AM

http://persephonemagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/charlie-murphy-crazy-laugh.gif

PsychoBe
06-22-2015, 04:30 PM
There is nothing consistent about it. Your argument is all over the place.

You guys say his shooting percentages are lower because of these shots he takes, but then he somehow makes them consistently? Do you know the word "oxymoron"? :oldlol:

what an amazing strawman.

first off, kobe doesn't have "low" shooting percentages, he has been pretty much well above the league average his entire career (league average is around 42-44% and kobe is consistently around 45-47%, which is only 1-2 makes below 50% i.e. 18-40 or 20-42).

secondly, i was merely explaining why kobe takes the kind of shots he does...because he can make them. you call them "dumb" shots, but they're not dumb for kobe, because he can, and has, made them.

none of your favorite players can make the kinds of shots kobe has made. none.

comerb
06-22-2015, 07:56 PM
From 3? Kobe.

From midrange? Jordan.

Cold soul
06-22-2015, 08:01 PM
Jordan better from mid range but it's a lot closer than some will admit.

comerb
06-22-2015, 08:06 PM
secondly, i was merely explaining why kobe takes the kind of shots he does...because he can make them. you call them "dumb" shots, but they're not dumb for kobe, because he can, and has, made them.

Kobe's circus shots are shot well below the league average for shooting percentage, and they've dragged what would be an otherwise extremely efficient scorer down. It doesn't matter if he "can and has made them". They're stupid and inefficient, and he insistence on taking them is one of the primary black marks against his game.

f0und
06-22-2015, 08:48 PM
what an amazing strawman.

first off, kobe doesn't have "low" shooting percentages, he has been pretty much well above the league average his entire career (league average is around 42-44% and kobe is consistently around 45-47%, which is only 1-2 makes below 50% i.e. 18-40 or 20-42).

none of your favorite players can make the kinds of shots kobe has made. none.

kobe kids say all the time "the only difference between 45% and 50% is 1 shot out of 20". well thats stupid because the real world results dont turn out that way.

because kobe is such a stupid shot jacker and an overrated shooter, his shooting is unreliable. in nearly 1 out of every 3 games he has a game shooting under 40%. in comparison to jordan, who is a smart shot taker and good midrange shooter, he shoots under 40% in about 1 out of 8 games. thats something you can rely on.

and because jordan takes smarter shots and is a good shooter, he's more likely than kobe to get on a hot streak.

when we talk about the great scorers in nba history, jordan ranks up near the top in every statistical category in scoring records, volume, and efficiency. kobe on the other hand is up there in volume, but is at the bottom in nearly every efficiency category. that should tell you something. but yeah, lets keep pretending that theyre equal scorers and shooters.

OldSchoolBBall
06-23-2015, 06:09 PM
Kobe was better outside 23 feet. Jordan was better everywhere else. As you get 21 feet and in, Jordan's edge gets larger and larger the close in you get. All the data we have shows MJ to be an all-time level midrange shooter. The data shows only that Kobe is good, not all-time level. Jordan was automatic from midrange.

IIRC, MJ was in the 47-50% range from midrange for the years/stretches we have data for, while Kobe is in the 43-45% range.

Micku
06-23-2015, 06:39 PM
Kobe was better outside 23 feet. Jordan was better everywhere else. As you get 21 feet and in, Jordan's edge gets larger and larger the close in you get. All the data we have shows MJ to be an all-time level midrange shooter. The data shows only that Kobe is good, not all-time level. Jordan was automatic from midrange.

IIRC, MJ was in the 47-50% range from midrange for the years/stretches we have data for, while Kobe is in the 43-45% range.

Yeah, we do got data from his 97, 98 and 02, 03 years.

It was on nba.com. I don't know if it's there anymore (going to check), but he shot about 49% from midrange. That's dirk levels. I don't think Kobe has ever shot that well. In 98 it was about 43% or something?

(after checking)
So, they changed it, but you can still check out their shooting stats. Go to nba player stats sortable, and click the shooting stat. If anyone is up for the challenge, you can look at the Kobe stats and compare.

Anyhow MJ from 97:
MJ from 20-24 ft. shot 39.6% with 3.7 FGA.
MJ from 15-19ft shot 49.5% with 7.2 FGA.
MJ from 10-14 ft shot 51.5% with 5.7 FGA.
http://stats.nba.com/league/player/#!/shooting/?Season=1996-97&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&sort=15-19%20ft.%20FGA&dir=1

As I said, Dirkish level of midrange efficiency. I don't think Kobe has ever shot that well there, but correct me if I'm wrong.

In 98 and onwards, that's when MJ shot more Kobe levels imo.
20-24 ft. shot 38.5% with 2.2 FGA
15-19 ft. shot 42.8% with 7.4 FGA
10-14 ft. shot 45.5% with 5.1 FGA
http://stats.nba.com/league/player/#!/shooting/?Season=1997-98&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&sort=15-19%20ft.%20FGA&dir=1

Now you could argue that maybe the shorten line helped him or that 97 was probably MJ's peak at midrange since we don't have the numbers before then. But I dunno. In 92, MJ basically lived at the midrange game from what I seen. He shot a better percentage from the field, so I assume he was better. Plus he had more lift with his jumpshot.

Anyhow as ppl already said:

Kobe>MJ at range.

MJ>Kobe at midrange.

Kobe is a bit better at the 3pt too and is better at FTs every so slightly. MJ doesn't really take 3s, and but is solid at it when he takes 3 or more. Kobe takes at a higher chip and still manage to have a slightly higher % than MJ.

And also like what other ppl said, Kobe's great at midrange and is elite. But MJ is among Dirk, Nash, and a short list of others as being one of the best we ever seen/recorded at the midrange.

3ball
06-23-2015, 06:43 PM
no one would ever say Kobe was the best jumpshooter in the NBA.. that thought would never cross anyone's mind - he's never been viewed as a lights-out shooter, from ANY distance.

whereas, MJ was lights-out shooter, which is why various people have said MJ was the best shooter in the game - it's not outlandish to say that about MJ, but it is for Kobe.

Jerry West said MJ was the the best jumpshooter (http://articles.latimes.com/1996-05-12/magazine/tm-3107_1_michael-jordan/4) in the game (last sentence, 2nd paragraph)... Ron Artest said MJ's shooting was accurate like Reggie Miller's (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5dXZxj6Zbc&t=0m57s) (and that MJ was the hardest to guard).. Artest would never say that about Kobe, because Kobe's shot wasn't nearly as accurate - plain and simple (that's part of the reason his FG% was always significantly worse).

Btw, MJ has the best shooting form I've ever seen... It's flawless.. That's why he had the capacity to shoot 3's at an elite level when needed (41% on 3-pointers in Finals for 1st three peat, 1991-1993).. But MJ didn't need the 3-point shot to be the greatest scorer of all time - whereas today's player NEEDS the 3-point shot to even average 20+ PPG.

I doubt MJ would need to shoot a bunch of 3-pointers to be the best player today - in 2010, Wade averaged 30 PPG and had his best season without shooting the 3-pointer, and MJ is better than Wade in every way.. But if MJ needed the 3-point shot to be the best player in today's game, he'd quickly become one of the best 3-point shooters itl.. That's just the mentality he had - and again, his form was flawless - the best I've ever seen (something no one talks about, but you'd actually EXPECT the goat's form to be perfect).

OldSchoolBBall
06-23-2015, 07:19 PM
Yeah, we do got data from his 97, 98 and 02, 03 years.

It was on nba.com. I don't know if it's there anymore (going to check), but he shot about 49% from midrange. That's dirk levels. I don't think Kobe has ever shot that well. In 98 it was about 43% or something?

(after checking)
So, they changed it, but you can still check out their shooting stats. Go to nba player stats sortable, and click the shooting stat. If anyone is up for the challenge, you can look at the Kobe stats and compare.

Anyhow MJ from 97:
MJ from 20-24 ft. shot 39.6% with 3.7 FGA.
MJ from 15-19ft shot 49.5% with 7.2 FGA.
MJ from 10-14 ft shot 51.5% with 5.7 FGA.
http://stats.nba.com/league/player/#!/shooting/?Season=1996-97&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&sort=15-19%20ft.%20FGA&dir=1

As I said, Dirkish level of midrange efficiency. I don't think Kobe has ever shot that well there, but correct me if I'm wrong.

In 98 and onwards, that's when MJ shot more Kobe levels imo.
20-24 ft. shot 38.5% with 2.2 FGA
15-19 ft. shot 42.8% with 7.4 FGA
10-14 ft. shot 45.5% with 5.1 FGA
http://stats.nba.com/league/player/#!/shooting/?Season=1997-98&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&sort=15-19%20ft.%20FGA&dir=1

Now you could argue that maybe the shorten line helped him or that 97 was probably MJ's peak at midrange since we don't have the numbers before then. But I dunno. In 92, MJ basically lived at the midrange game from what I seen. He shot a better percentage from the field, so I assume he was better. Plus he had more lift with his jumpshot.

Anyhow as ppl already said:

Kobe>MJ at range.

MJ>Kobe at midrange.

Kobe is a bit better at the 3pt too and is better at FTs every so slightly. MJ doesn't really take 3s, and but is solid at it when he takes 3 or more. Kobe takes at a higher chip and still manage to have a slightly higher % than MJ.

And also like what other ppl said, Kobe's great at midrange and is elite. But MJ is among Dirk, Nash, and a short list of others as being one of the best we ever seen/recorded at the midrange.

Jordan had a cracked knuckle and torn ligament on the index finger of his shooting hand which badly hampered his shooting for like the first 15-20 games of the 1998 season until he adjusted his form to compensate. I'd be interested in what the numbers were from game 20 onward.

Also, PHILA's 1990-1992 Jordan stats (130 games overall, link here: http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=317950) showed that he was at 51% in the midrange, and 47% in the playoffs (link: http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=292414). Some selection bias is possible, but even if you drop him a couple of percentage points that's still all-time level. Quote here:

126 Games Total

http://i.imgur.com/g3XPS5u.png

1989-90: 35 games
1990-91: 44 games
1991-92: 47 games

Shot Chart

At Rim: 629/847 FG (74.3%)
In Paint (Overall): 786/1333 FG (59.0%)
Midrange: 793/1552 FG (51.1%)
3 Point: 93/243 FG (38.3%)

Micku
06-24-2015, 11:03 PM
Jordan had a cracked knuckle and torn ligament on the index finger of his shooting hand which badly hampered his shooting for like the first 15-20 games of the 1998 season until he adjusted his form to compensate. I'd be interested in what the numbers were from game 20 onward.

Also, PHILA's 1990-1992 Jordan stats (130 games overall, link here: http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=317950) showed that he was at 51% in the midrange, and 47% in the playoffs (link: http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=292414). Some selection bias is possible, but even if you drop him a couple of percentage points that's still all-time level. Quote here:

Yeah. It's honestly pretty amazing, especially with the high volume of shots he used to take. I am curious of what other ppl used to shoot from there tho. Apparently the midrange game got lost over time, so I assume there are others who are great at the midrange like Alex English or something.

Regardless, MJ seems like at a all time level at the midrange. And as you said, he was hurt in 98, but still manged to be elite. His midrange numbers was the same in 02 and 03. Elite, but not all time like he was in 97 and probably below.

dubeta
06-24-2015, 11:06 PM
The only place Kobe can consistently release more shots is in Colorado

warriorfan
06-24-2015, 11:09 PM
The only place Kobe can consistently release more shots is in Colorado

:kobe:

TAZORAC
06-25-2015, 07:07 AM
Kobe was the closest thing to Jordan only visually... you know starting with same size/position, to gamestyle, to mannerisms... and he didnt keep that intention as a secret at all....

But dont get confused.... even though Kobe was great Jordan was everything Kobe was AND MUCH MORE of literally all of it... except for i guess 3pt% & ft%...

Your probably like 20 and never seen Jordan play. Jordan had weaknesses just like EVERY ATHLETE in their sport. Kobe was a better shooter.