PDA

View Full Version : So I went to the Atlanta Hawks' Draft Party for the 2015 Draft at Phillips Arena

Fallen Angel
06-26-2015, 03:06 PM
Probably 200-300 people were at the event

I got on the hardwood and saw that Phillips Arena looks smaller than you'd think

Had the obvious festivities you'd expect; they had the mascot and new jerseys displayed (actually looked better in person)

Saw Kent Bazemore, not that impressive vertically as I would expect

I had a nice seat in the lower deck to watch on the jumbotron

Karl Towns was no surprise, he got a good ovation after he was selected #1.

I told a guy sitting a couple seats next to me that the Lakers should draft D'Angelo Russell, but I didn't think they would. Low and behold he does get drafted #2 and he had me out my seat. Another round of ovations from the crowd.

I told the guy next to me that Sixers should take Mudiay, they take Okafor. People were impressed from the college highlights they showed and even more impressed when Jalen compared him to Brook Lopez.

The funniest thing of the night was the Knicks taking KP. The Knicks fans in Brooklyn boo'd their asses off while that little kid was crying to the pick. Everyone in Phillips Arena was laughing their asses off. I felt bad for KP because he's a decent player but I couldn't stop laughing at how the Knicks fans reacted.

skipping picks....

I was pissed that Winslow dropped so far to the Miami Heat. These dudes keep on lucking out.

On to the Atlanta Hawks' pick at #15, fans didn't want another PF. The people sitting near me wanted either Kelly Oubre or Sam Dekker. Kelly was drafted and the round of applause was given to from the Hawks fans. Immidiately people started to leave, but as they left ESPN reported that the Hawks traded that pick to the Washington Wizards for their pick and two additional second rounders. The people next to me were a bit bummed.

Fast forward to the Rockets pick at #18. I was confident we would draft Jerian Grant out of Notre Dame, so I joined in the look of shock that the Hawks fans gave the Rockets in drafting Sam Dekker. I'm mixed with this pick.

The Hawks were next at #19 and they took Jerian Grant. I, along with the fans sitting next to me thought it was a good pick. Hawks did need a backup PG and Grant would be a nice fit. So I prepped to leave, but as I was on my way to leaving I heard that the Hawks would trade Grant to the Knicks for Tim Hardaway Jr. I liked the move for Atlanta, turning #15 to Tim Hardaway Jr. and two second rounders for the future. Hawks fans liked it, too.

I left after that, pretty cool experience. Beats watching the draft alone at home, I'm surprised more people on ISH would rather watch the draft at home if they live in an NBA city where their teams are usually holding a draft party.

Carter_17
06-26-2015, 03:40 PM
Probably 200-300 people were at the event

I got on the hardwood and saw that Phillips Arena looks smaller than you'd think

Had the obvious festivities you'd expect; they had the mascot and new jerseys displayed (actually looked better in person)

Saw Kent Bazemore, not that impressive vertically as I would expect

I had a nice seat in the lower deck to watch on the jumbotron

Karl Towns was no surprise, he got a good ovation after he was selected #1.

I told a guy sitting a couple seats next to me that the Lakers should draft D'Angelo Russell, but I didn't think they would. Low and behold he does get drafted #2 and he had me out my seat. Another round of ovations from the crowd.

I told the guy next to me that Sixers should take Mudiay, they take Okafor. People were impressed from the college highlights they showed and even more impressed when Jalen compared him to Brook Lopez.

The funniest thing of the night was the Knicks taking KP. The Knicks fans in Brooklyn boo'd their asses off while that little kid was crying to the pick. Everyone in Phillips Arena was laughing their asses off. I felt bad for KP because he's a decent player but I couldn't stop laughing at how the Knicks fans reacted.

skipping picks....

I was pissed that Winslow dropped so far to the Miami Heat. These dudes keep on lucking out.

On to the Atlanta Hawks' pick at #15, fans didn't want another PF. The people sitting near me wanted either Kelly Oubre or Sam Dekker. Kelly was drafted and the round of applause was given to from the Hawks fans. Immidiately people started to leave, but as they left ESPN reported that the Hawks traded that pick to the Washington Wizards for their pick and two additional second rounders. The people next to me were a bit bummed.

Fast forward to the Rockets pick at #18. I was confident we would draft Jerian Grant out of Notre Dame, so I joined in the look of shock that the Hawks fans gave the Rockets in drafting Sam Dekker. I'm mixed with this pick.

The Hawks were next at #19 and they took Jerian Grant. I, along with the fans sitting next to me thought it was a good pick. Hawks did need a backup PG and Grant would be a nice fit. So I prepped to leave, but as I was on my way to leaving I heard that the Hawks would trade Grant to the Knicks for Tim Hardaway Jr. I liked the move for Atlanta, turning #15 to Tim Hardaway Jr. and two second rounders for the future. Hawks fans liked it, too.

I left after that, pretty cool experience. Beats watching the draft alone at home, I'm surprised more people on ISH would rather watch the draft at home if they live in an NBA city where their teams are usually holding a draft party.

Entire Hawks fanbase attended the draft party? Thats impressive :applause:

Bay Area Baller
06-26-2015, 03:48 PM

:wtf: oh snap ownd

Hotlantadude81
06-26-2015, 04:51 PM

Freebies must have been offered. Maybe Nique Bobbleheads.

FireDavidKahn
06-26-2015, 04:53 PM
Damn. Wolves had like 10,000 at the Target Center.:bowdown:

hawksdogsbraves
06-26-2015, 06:45 PM
Damn. Wolves had like 10,000 at the Target Center.:bowdown:

Teams picking in the top 2 or 3 always draw big crowds. I guess the Hawks just have to settle for having people in the building during the playoffs :confusedshrug: