PDA

View Full Version : The smart teams will load up with long player contracts this offseason....

toxicxr6
06-30-2015, 11:10 AM
I think this is being overlooked.. fans boasting about having small amount of player contracts on their books 2016 and beyond... But really is that a good idea.. I honestly think it is not.. And here is why

Once the cap increases so does every players ability to ask for more money.. And almost every player signing contracts from 2016 and beyond will be paid significant more money. Teams will offer free agents more money to change teams.
Teams really need to think about that this offseason.. Loading up players on 4/5 year contracts this offseason in reality will be reducing how much they are paying in the future and will actually be reducing their salary base from 2016 onwards... And when you think about it going abit over the cap next year with this in mind might actually even out or save them money over the next 3-4 years.
So I'm saying the smart teams will load up on FA this offseason.. Increasing how much they will be able to spend from 2016 onwards
Will be interesting to see..

kshutts1
06-30-2015, 11:31 AM
Problem is.. the players, and their agents, know about the cap increase. The only players that are willing to sign long term deals are those with stupid agents (is LMA really gonna do that? It would surprise me), or those that are overpaid in today's market, and potentially underpaid in the market two years from now.

So... kind of handicapping your team with the second scenario. For two years, anyway.

UK2K
06-30-2015, 11:35 AM
Problem is.. the players, and their agents, know about the cap increase. The only players that are willing to sign long term deals are those with stupid agents (is LMA really gonna do that? It would surprise me), or those that are overpaid in today's market, and potentially underpaid in the market two years from now.

So... kind of handicapping your team with the second scenario. For two years, anyway.

LA is already 30. He's got maybe 3 more seasons playing at an all-star level.

Who is going to offer a 31 year old a huge 5 year contract knowing he will be past his prime in 2 years, if that.

kshutts1
06-30-2015, 11:56 AM

Who is going to offer a 31 year old a huge 5 year contract knowing he will be past his prime in 2 years, if that.
Wow I didn't know he was so "old".

I'm not even sure he's worth a max offer anymore. I had this impression of him being 27 or so, lol. Where does the time go? wow.

But anyway.. Knicks would. See - Melo. :lol

DMAVS41
06-30-2015, 11:58 AM
Yea.

It doesn't have to be star players though. Guys like Danny Green...getting him on a 4 year 48 million dollar deal is actually smart imo.

PP34Deuce
06-30-2015, 12:06 PM

Players like Love and Aldridge have faced injuries.... 100 million now guaranteed sounds better than waiting 170 million risk of injuries again.

I do believe that Aldridge wants his money and to have fun. So I believe the reports of it being either the Lakers or Blazers.

fiddy
06-30-2015, 12:28 PM
Smart players wont.

UK2K
06-30-2015, 12:36 PM
Wow I didn't know he was so "old".

I'm not even sure he's worth a max offer anymore. I had this impression of him being 27 or so, lol. Where does the time go? wow.

A max offer this season? Sure, he can still ball at a high level barring injury for another four or five years. It'll be rough paying an Aldridge $25m at age 35 if he makes it that long.

Max offer next season (~30m)? No.

iamgine
06-30-2015, 12:45 PM
Why can't they just put a little stipulation in the contract?

'Player sign for 5 years but will be allowed to renegotiate the contract next season on this date."

Xiao Yao You
06-30-2015, 02:20 PM
Jazz will have to sign Gobert to max in 2 years and Hayward can opt out. That's two max deals. The next year Favors and Hood. That could be 4 max deals. Not to mention Burks and Exum. So I don't see them acquiring anyone unless it's 2 years or less, maybe 3.

chips93
06-30-2015, 02:31 PM
Jazz will have to sign Gobert to max in 2 years and Hayward can opt out. That's two max deals. The next year Favors and Hood. That could be 4 max deals. Not to mention Burks and Exum. So I don't see them acquiring anyone unless it's 2 years or less, maybe 3.

Are jazz fans really that high on hood? He looked very one dimensional at duke.

Xiao Yao You
06-30-2015, 04:15 PM
Are jazz fans really that high on hood? He looked very one dimensional at duke.

He did it all after the all-star break. Rookie of the month in April. Looks like he could be better than Hayward. Hopefully his body holds up better this season.

Derka
06-30-2015, 04:20 PM

In the NBA? Plenty of teams.

Xiao Yao You
06-30-2015, 04:29 PM
In the NBA? Plenty of teams.

especially since max will be a lot more in 5 years and his contract could still be looking pretty good

gts
06-30-2015, 04:30 PM
Why can't they just put a little stipulation in the contract?

'Player sign for 5 years but will be allowed to renegotiate the contract next season on this date."there's player options but the conditions for when it can be added to a contract are strictly governed by the CBA.

what you're suggesting is against the rules in the CBA, if that were allowed it would circumnavigate a pile of the rules in place to protect a teams ability to retain their own free agents by creating a massive bunch loop holes

example

bulls offered butler a one year 4 million dollar offer AND a 5 year max deal, it was a deal set up to minimize what other teams can offer butler as he comes off his rookie contract

the way it's set up with the two separate offers any team that wants to make butler an offer now has to offer a minimum of 3 years, a max of 4 years with no team or player options allowed until after the 3rd year

under your premise any team could undercut the bulls offer by saying ok here's a three year offer but we'll renegotiate next year so you can get a bigger contract than you'd get with the bulls...

the CBA is set up to allow teams to compete for a players services on equal footing with a slight edge going to the team he is already under contract to. your suggestion would throw that all away

iamgine
06-30-2015, 08:18 PM
there's player options but the conditions for when it can be added to a contract are strictly governed by the CBA.

what you're suggesting is against the rules in the CBA, if that were allowed it would circumnavigate a pile of the rules in place to protect a teams ability to retain their own free agents by creating a massive bunch loop holes

example

bulls offered butler a one year 4 million dollar offer AND a 5 year max deal, it was a deal set up to minimize what other teams can offer butler as he comes off his rookie contract

the way it's set up with the two separate offers any team that wants to make butler an offer now has to offer a minimum of 3 years, a max of 4 years with no team or player options allowed until after the 3rd year

under your premise any team could undercut the bulls offer by saying ok here's a three year offer but we'll renegotiate next year so you can get a bigger contract than you'd get with the bulls...

the CBA is set up to allow teams to compete for a players services on equal footing with a slight edge going to the team he is already under contract to. your suggestion would throw that all away
Hmm, how about if it's a stipulation only for the max? 'This player's sign a max 5 year deal but if the cap increase this player's salary increase with it to the maximum allowed for a player.'

hawksdogsbraves
06-30-2015, 08:20 PM
He did it all after the all-star break. Rookie of the month in April. Looks like he could be better than Hayward. Hopefully his body holds up better this season.

God why did we pick Adreian fking Payne :cry:

rmt
06-30-2015, 08:33 PM
Yea.

It doesn't have to be star players though. Guys like Danny Green...getting him on a 4 year 48 million dollar deal is actually smart imo.

Yep. Lock up Leonard and Green in LONG term contracts. They both just turned 24 and 28 a few days ago. Players who haven't had a big contract yet should be looking for security - not these 1-2 year deals.

Pity Parker's contract is gonna mess up SAS getting LMA.

Blue&Orange
06-30-2015, 10:27 PM

Does not compute.