PDA

View Full Version : Once again Lakers losing out on free agents?

oh the horror
07-01-2015, 12:23 PM
When I listen to anyone on the lakers front office they always spew the narrative of their legacy and their history and blah blah blah. However I was having a chat with coworkers and I'm of the opinion like others that past accolades mean shit when you're trotting out D-league team, two promising pieces and a broken down Kobe Bryant eating up your cap space. Every off season I just shake my head at that contract.

Fans know that the real rebuild won't occur until Kobe is gone right?

Who will the Lakers sign eventually? Because from where I'm standing they aren't rebuilding with any meaningful pieces anytime soon

r15mohd
07-01-2015, 12:25 PM
When I listen to anyone on the lakers front office they always spew the narrative of their legacy and their history and blah blah blah. However I was having a chat with coworkers and I'm of the opinion like others that past accolades mean shit when you're trotting out D-league team, two promising pieces and a broken down Kobe Bryant eating up your cap space. Every off season I just shake my head at that contract.

Who will the Lakers sign eventually? Because from where I'm standing they aren't rebuilding with any meaningful pieces anytime soon

well they'll need pieces to lure superstars next summer when Kobe's gone...so that in itself is an issue, too.

i don't see any big names going there until somewhat of a foundation is built by the rookies/sophmores or they grab an all-star who can then be built around for a year or two, then make that run for a superstar to lock in the rebuild.

ArbitraryWater
07-01-2015, 12:27 PM
Have trust, let this man #24 work his magic

Droid101
07-01-2015, 12:28 PM
They're going to have enough for two max plus one mid next year, even if they sign a max guy this year. Another almost max guy the next year.

If that doesn't look like a promising situation, what does?

And that's not even taking into account the fact that it's Los Angeles. Players want to play here for reasons that have nothing to do with basketball.

longtime lurker
07-01-2015, 12:29 PM

I've been saying it from time, but no one wants to listen. Stars want to play with other stars. The Lakers front office can't entice all stars to sign with them "just because we're the Lakers and we're awesome!" Start building an actual team and players will sign. Sometimes you have to take a chance on the non household name and hope he develops into an allstar. Let's see what they do.

oh the horror
07-01-2015, 12:30 PM
well they'll need pieces to lure superstars next summer when Kobe's gone...so that in itself is an issue, too.

Bingo. It's literally being stuck between a rock and a hard place. Kobe's contract KILLED them in terms of either A. Being bad enough to warrant quality draft picks to solidify an actual rebuild through nice rookies on cheap contracts.

B. No space to sign anyone where you can legitimately form a foundation to ATTRACT actual free agents to play there.

Lakers front office needs to cut out the politician speak and just tell people straight up that the rebuild isn't going to be in a season or 3. It's going to be more like 5 years.

HOoopCityJones
07-01-2015, 12:31 PM
We need to move on from the big names and attack other guys like Robin Lopez, Tyson Chandler etc. before the market dries up.

r15mohd
07-01-2015, 12:32 PM
They're going to have enough for two max plus one mid next year, even if they sign a max guy this year. Another almost max guy the next year.

If that doesn't look like a promising situation, what does?

And that's not even taking into account the fact that it's Los Angeles. Players want to play here for reasons that have nothing to do with basketball.

yea, but the problem is no one is wanting to go through this next year alongside Kobe. so it will be a bit before they land something...and again, these superstars arent looking to go and rebuild a team...more so transitioning to a team that will be better than their last.

for instance with KD next summer...it gets worse with him moving to LA from OKC.

as for the latter of the comment...stars havent been coming by lately to the Laker side, more leaving than staying.

Levity
07-01-2015, 12:32 PM
We need to move on from the big names and attack other guys like Robin Lopez, Tyson Chandler etc. before the market dries up.

:cheers:

this was our problem last off-season, as well.

r15mohd
07-01-2015, 12:33 PM

not Tyson...maybe Robin Lopez and Monta would be a good start for them in luring a superstar in the future. :confusedshrug:

HOoopCityJones
07-01-2015, 12:41 PM

this was our problem last off-season, as well.
You just look at this list and there are so many capable names available that it would be ridiculous to only go all in on DJ and LMA like they did with Melo and Bron last season. If we strike out on a big in free agency then I think this Russell pick is viewed a little less favorably.

I have faith tho since we had a meeting set up with Greg Monroe literally right after Aldridge, but if I was them i'd lock down the Lopez bro who's the better defender and hope Randle has a break out year.

LoneyROY7
07-01-2015, 12:42 PM
Just another letdown in La-La Land.

brownmamba00
07-01-2015, 12:46 PM
Jim Buss is really ****in up

TheMan
07-01-2015, 12:53 PM
The LA Lakers have been one of the NBA's most successful franchises ever, their last title was just a few years ago. Sorry, not really feeling bad for poor suffering Laker fans :lol

For real though, Kobe should consider going to a contender as a sixth man, why would he want to spend his last useful year or two on a bad team? It would also help LA, they could start making moves to become relevant again. Win win situation.

wakencdukest
07-01-2015, 12:53 PM
Op is absolutely right. The Lakers have scored one big time free agent in the last 40 years and that was Shaq. The whole myth about players coming to LA just because it's LA is bullshit. It's about the biggest paycheck and going to a contender. This team is going to have to build through the draft and smart mid level signings.

triangleoffense
07-01-2015, 01:00 PM
Op is absolutely right. The Lakers have scored one big time free agent in the last 40 years and that was Shaq. The whole myth about players coming to LA just because it's LA is bullshit. It's about the biggest paycheck and going to a contender. This team is going to have to build through the draft and smart mid level signings.
Yes but it's about what we do with the pieces as well. That one big free agent just happened to net us three championships and although we haven't had any big FA signings in a while we've had some pretty damn successful sign and trades with Gasol, Artest (mid-level exception pre hard-cap) and then obviously Dwight and Nash... I'm still on the conspiracy theory side that Nash went to LA just to troll the team.

Also the above bolded comment applies to any championship level team. Remember all those mid-level/sign and trade type of contracts that the Heat and Celtics had to sign during their championship run.. one huge story-line that I think wasn't played enough during 2010 was that Shaq was on the celtics and almost won one with the Lakers most hated rival.

Charlie Sheen
07-01-2015, 01:06 PM
Relax. Everyone knew the Lakers would have to move on from Kobe eventually. I'm actually a fan of the way they've handled it, all things considered. Dwight and Nash team was the last stand for a championship contender around Bean and it didn't work. Management stood firm, not chasing free agents who held no clear value long term. Honestly, if Kobe getting the top NBA salary as a Thank You for the 5 titles he's been a major part of comes at a cost of being able to add Channing Frye type player...I'm okay with that.

I kinda get where you're coming from too. A place of frustration. This past season was especially hard to get through. Randle first and then KB's season ending injury really sapped all the excitement out of the club.

gts
07-01-2015, 01:08 PM
This is the first season they've been in a place to start the rebuild, last season the groundwork was laid, now begins the building.... Laker fans need to relax, it was a 3 to 4 year process when they started it and nothing has changed.

ArbitraryWater
07-01-2015, 01:10 PM
^ that and also let Kobe work his experience in those Meetings and you'll be fine.

Ca$H
07-01-2015, 01:12 PM

KD in 2016. Westbrook and Ibaka in 2017.

Russell
Westbrook
Durant
Randle
Ibaka

:biggums:

triangleoffense
07-01-2015, 01:12 PM
I have supreme confidence in the Lakers FO. They have Magic, Kareem, West, and pretty much all previous Laker hall of fame players as special consul to the Buss family as well as a GM wizard in Kupchak. Wait a few years and you can add Kobe to that list as well.

Also Lakers training/rehab staff is one of the best sports medicine teams in the world.. Vitti was instrumental in keeping Kobe out of injury trouble during that 4-5 year championship run.

r15mohd
07-01-2015, 01:14 PM
KD in 2016. Westbrook and Ibaka in 2017.

Russell
Westbrook
Durant
Randle
Ibaka

:biggums:

OKC 2.0 :rolleyes:

imnew09
07-01-2015, 01:17 PM
OP is dumb af. Because of TeamBe contract, we drafted two players with grat potential, Randle and D Angello. They are cheap for a few years. After this season, Lakers have ALL the cap unless we sign another max this season. We are in the perfect scenario at the moment

HurricaneKid
07-01-2015, 01:24 PM

Meh. Plenty of guys including Kobe, Magic, Kareem all forced their way to LAL. Just because they didn't wait until FA doesn't mean the destination didn't give the Lakers a ton of leverage.

I do think there are plenty of people who are finally admitting that Kobe isn't one of those guys you want to go join up with. That is a new admission around here.

Raymone
07-01-2015, 01:30 PM
The LA Lakers have been one of the NBA's most successful franchises ever, their last title was just a few years ago. Sorry, not really feeling bad for poor suffering Laker fans :lol

For real though, Kobe should consider going to a contender as a sixth man, why would he want to spend his last useful year or two on a bad team? It would also help LA, they could start making moves to become relevant again. Win win situation.

Kobe isn't going to jump ship now. He has too much loyalty with the Lakers organization.

r15mohd
07-01-2015, 01:31 PM
OP is dumb af. Because of TeamBe contract, we drafted two players with grat potential, Randle and D Angello. They are cheap for a few years. After this season, Lakers have ALL the cap unless we sign another max this season. We are in the perfect scenario at the moment

there arent that many potential superstar FA's for the next few years to be in a perfect scenario for landing one tho

you basically have the OKC trio of KD, WBrook and Ibaka coming off next yr and the year after, and hopeful a rook/sophmore pans out in the next 3-4yrs

every other superstar is pretty locked up for the future :confusedshrug:

magictricked
07-01-2015, 01:32 PM
It's only been 13 hours and at least 6 of them were called the middle of the night :facepalm

IncarceratedBob
07-01-2015, 01:33 PM
Lakers don't actually want Aldridge and they didn't want Melo last year. They're only holding these meetings to appease the fans to give the appearance that they're trying to sign these guys. Rumors are the Lakers didn't even offer Lamarcus or Melo the max. They had to know they aren't gonna get these guys if you don't offer a max contract. The Lakers want to build from within.

dazzer87
07-01-2015, 01:34 PM
Kome cant recuit for sh!t..............Rondo and DJ........:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Rooster
07-01-2015, 01:35 PM

i don't see any big names going there until somewhat of a foundation is built by the rookies/sophmores or they grab an all-star who can then be built around for a year or two, then make that run for a superstar to lock in the rebuild.

This is the way to do it. Let the youngster be the foundation of rebuilding. Superstars want the best of both worlds. Win and get paid. If they can get that somewhere else, they will go there.

oh the horror
07-01-2015, 01:38 PM
there arent that many potential superstar FA's for the next few years to be in a perfect scenario for landing one tho

you basically have the OKC trio of KD, WBrook and Ibaka coming off next yr and the year after, and hopeful a rook/sophmore pans out in the next 3-4yrs

every other superstar is pretty locked up for the future :confusedshrug:

I'm not entirely sure who the fans think the Lakers should even sign within the next few years that would put them anywhere meaningful. Again I don't see the Lakers (and hopefully they don't) throwing big money at mediocre talent out there

Rooster
07-01-2015, 01:42 PM
This is the first season they've been in a place to start the rebuild, last season the groundwork was laid, now begins the building.... Laker fans need to relax, it was a 3 to 4 year process when they started it and nothing has changed.

A lot of people want a quick fix. I've been saying that when Shaq got here, Lakers were already a 50 win team and it took us 4 years and Kobe get into the mix before we finally win it all. That Lakers before Shaq was built around Divac, Campbell and Van Exel. Getting Eddie Jones and Ceballos turn us around and Shaq made us a championship contender. The only way I'm all in is if we get 3 superstars in their prime or close to it at the same time like Miami. Other than that, build through the draft and let our young guys develop. Stop taking guys like Boozer or some players that will cut our young guys minutes.

Rooster
07-01-2015, 01:46 PM
I'm not entirely sure who the fans think the Lakers should even sign within the next few years that would put them anywhere meaningful. Again I don't see the Lakers (and hopefully they don't) throwing big money at mediocre talent out there

Yes save the cap for marquee players while the young guys continue developing. Don't overpay for role players, built our identity first and see who fit the system.

rmt
07-01-2015, 01:46 PM
With the coming explosion of the salary cap, draft picks/rebuilding will have less value than luring ready-to-win free agents to a team. Bad timing to be in rebuilding stage - great time to be a contender trying to add that extra piece to take them over the top. I see this as the rich getting richer and the poor (rebuilding) teams staying down/out. Wonderful time to be locking up talent in long-term contracts before the salary cap explosion. C'mon to the Spurs, LMA.

kshutts1
07-01-2015, 01:59 PM
With the coming explosion of the salary cap, draft picks/rebuilding will have less value than luring ready-to-win free agents to a team. Bad timing to be in rebuilding stage - great time to be a contender trying to add that extra piece to take them over the top. I see this as the rich getting richer and the poor (rebuilding) teams staying down/out. Wonderful time to be locking up talent in long-term contracts before the salary cap explosion. C'mon to the Spurs, LMA.
Not entirely true, as max offers are based on a percentage of the cap. So, in theory, we can almost extrapolate out all salaries on a linear progression, and everything stays the same.

rs98762001
07-01-2015, 02:08 PM
It's simple: the cream of the crop have no faith in Jim Buss and Byron Scott.

And why would they?

kshutts1
07-01-2015, 02:08 PM
Dark horse of an offseason for Lakers....

What if they do cheap, under-the-radar signings... think Koufos, Alan Anderson, Afflalo, Teletovic, Beasley, McDaniels... nothing earth shattering, but keep that salary low!

Then they provide salary dumps for teams, and pick up picks in the process.

Salary dumps that come to mind (and remember, it's not necessarily about the player, but the near-guaranteed attached pick)...
David Lee
Vince Carter
Pekovic
Kevin Martin
Rockets roster
Channing Frye
Gerald Wallace

etc.

Thoughts on that?

oh the horror
07-01-2015, 02:31 PM
My only issues with certain cheap short term signings is you should allow at this point in time for your younger pieces to develop and see what they're capable of.

Guys like Randle, and Russell should be getting a good amount of minutes to even see what they're about. So if you do want to bring on contracts then I think you have to be cautious about who they are.

oh the horror
07-01-2015, 02:57 PM
Taking a beating his offseason. Woo wee

ArbitraryWater
07-01-2015, 02:59 PM
Taking a beating his offseason. Woo wee

still got MAMBA! He gon' get some pieces, BELEHH DAT

Raymone
07-01-2015, 03:02 PM
still got MAMBA! He gon' get some pieces, BELEHH DAT

Such douche chills reading your posts.

ArbitraryWater
07-01-2015, 03:03 PM
Such douche chills reading your posts.

okay mister 'I met Megan Fox at a writers party' :lol

OG LeeTSkeeT
07-02-2015, 01:45 AM
Now its vital D'russ, randle or clarkson turns into a superstar on their rookie contract to entice a superstar to want to join.

Bosnian Sajo
07-02-2015, 02:14 AM

Who said anything about Kobe leaving? His massive contract will be over, but he is still going to be a Laker. No way he goes out on a losing team, just not his style.

Bosnian Sajo
07-02-2015, 02:16 AM
Now its vital D'russ, randle or clarkson turns into a superstar on their rookie contract to entice a superstar to want to join.

Russ is gonna make an impact right away imo, I caaaaaan't wait for summer league to start to watch these guys in action. Think NBA TV will have all of the Laker games?

I<3NBA
07-02-2015, 02:16 AM
They need to target AD. that would bring in free agents like bees to a honey.

EllEffEll
07-02-2015, 02:18 AM
Between Kobe's contract, the salary cap, the money being thrown at mediocre FA's, and having Jim Buss in the driver's seat, the Lakers have little to no shot at luring the big fish to the Lakers.

Hell, it's so bad for the Lakers these days, players would MUCH rather play for the Clippers rather than the Lakers.

By hook, or by crook, the Lakers were a destination where top tier talent wanted to land, but those days are long gone thanks to the neutering of the Lakers via the salary cap, and reigns being passed to the worst spoiled fruit of the good Dr. Buss' overexerted loins. Here in June of 2015, KB's bloated contract is just the cherry on the cake.

A top tier FA would have to have their head examined if they agreed to sign with the Lakers this summer. Expecting Mitch Kupchak to pull a bedazzled rabbit out of his tuchus is just plain unrealistic. Wouldn't surprise me if the Lakers were a lottery team again, maybe win 30 to 35 IF they stay pretty healthy. If they win more than 35, I'll consider it a qualified success. Just keepin' it real, and waiting for next summer, when there might be a realistic chance to get this train back on the tracks.

L.A. Jazz
07-02-2015, 02:23 AM
Mitch, Jim and Kobe have to go. All 3 dont get it. They think they can say Lakers and Chips and everybody wants to come.

Why was Kobe even there? And why was he talking about how he and LMA would work like him and Pau? If i am LMA i would tell him straight that this doesnt help. Kobe is old and on his way out. LMA doesnt care about chemistry with Kobe. He wants to know if they get another FA 2015 and Durant 2016.

:hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: