PDA

View Full Version : Why all the fuss over Aldridge?

kshutts1
07-01-2015, 01:20 PM
What is the love for Aldridge? I used to think he was only 27; in the prime of his career, still some of his best years ahead of him, plenty of time left to learn the game and get better... then I learned he was 30.

Dude has basically maxed out his skillset. He's not an elite rebounder, not an elite defender... he's basically a worse player than Bosh was in Toronto, and doesn't offer the 3 point threat that Bosh does.

What is all this love for him? Why is he a franchise savior? How good are his post moves and passing out of the post? I have not watched him enough to know these things.

ArbitraryWater
07-01-2015, 01:23 PM
Everything Bosh has done he had done, on a great Team in a stacked conference... opposed to Bosh on a lottery Team, no pressure, etc.

automatically giving him the edge. Have you taken a look at Bosh's career Playoff Performances?

Rocketswin2013
07-01-2015, 01:23 PM
His biggest weakness to me is his inability to draw fouls. It makes him inefficient. If he's the guy in their offense, it makes them more predictable, IMO. Average passer, loves jumpers.

Noyze
07-01-2015, 01:27 PM
Can't put my finger on it. He's elite but not elite. His numbers suggest a top 15 player but something is missing, and it's not just post season success.

ShackEelOKneel
07-01-2015, 01:28 PM
Aldridge won't lead a team to a championship, but he can certainly be a final piece. This is exactly why Spurs is a great fit, and not the Lakers.

kshutts1
07-01-2015, 01:29 PM
What he's missing is a lack of "wow". I don't know... as a fan, I'm not scared to face him. I think Aldridge is a player like JR Smith (though infinitely better) in that both of them could get hot and hit their jumpers and destroy your team... but you're kinda willing to take that chance.

Aldridge seems like Sheed in a sense.. a player that is overly reliant on his jumper, but if that's not falling... too bad. Maybe my perception is way off, but that's why I'm not a fan of his, considering his age.

kshutts1
07-01-2015, 01:30 PM
Aldridge won't lead a team to a championship, but he can certainly be a final piece. This is exactly why Spurs is a great fit, and not the Lakers.
It's an expensive "final piece". But otherwise.. good assessment.

IncarceratedBob
07-01-2015, 01:30 PM
Elite scorer, solid defender, amazing teammate and a great guy in the community. His bball IQ is said to be insane. He's been stuck in a shithole for so long that no one's noticed but he's always been a top 10 player and still has 4 years of his best ball left.

Smoke117
07-01-2015, 01:33 PM

I agree. The spurs are the only team where I can think he's actually worth the max because of the way they play. They don't really feature one player offensively and that's perfect for him. He's not really worth the max period...but if someone is going to pay it, the Spurs will be the ones to get the most out of him.

ArbitraryWater
07-01-2015, 01:34 PM
Can't put my finger on it. He's elite but not elite. His numbers suggest a top 15 player but something is missing, and it's not just post season success.

Its easy to see... lotta points for allota shots with Little defense, doesn't have any obvious leadership Qualities. Kawhi will still be their best Player.

Raymone
I'd rather have Blake Griffin or a prime Bosh, but out of the available PFs Aldridge is a pretty good option. :confusedshrug:

kshutts1
Elite scorer, solid defender, amazing teammate and a great guy in the community. His bball IQ is said to be insane. He's been stuck in a shithole for so long that no one's noticed but he's always been a top 10 player and still has 4 years of his best ball left.
How do you define an elite scorer? I'm only looking at numbers, but I don't typically define one with "22ppg on 48% shooting for a PF"

Can he create his own shot well enough that the numbers don't tell the whole story? Does he have a bevy of strong post moves? Are his shooting numbers relatively low because his system didn't use him properly at all? What should we expect from him in the Spurs system, if he goes there?

T_L_P
07-01-2015, 01:47 PM
Yeah, he's really overrated.

But I don't mind getting him if it means Green stays.

tpols
07-01-2015, 01:50 PM
He's a really nice player.. kinda reminds me of pau to the bulls. He should thrive in that system

bdreason
07-01-2015, 01:51 PM
I don't care where Aldridge signs... as long as it isn't with the Spurs.

rmt
07-01-2015, 01:55 PM
He's a really nice player.. kinda reminds me of pau to the bulls. He should thrive in that system

Skilled players like Pau will thrive in any system that's not run 'n gun like the old PHX Suns.

Hopefully, LMA will add another dimension to Spurs' offense and will fit perfectly beside Duncan for the next 2 years.

rmt
07-01-2015, 01:57 PM
I don't care where Aldridge signs... as long as it isn't with the Spurs.

GSW won't be able to play small ball with Draymond at center vs a possible Duncan/LMA - they'd have to play Bogut and slow it down.

IncarceratedBob
07-01-2015, 01:59 PM
GSW won't be able to play small ball with Draymond at center vs a possible Duncan/LMA - they'd have to play Bogut and slow it down.
what's the point in even discussing that if the spurs can't get passed the clippers

rmt
07-01-2015, 02:02 PM
what's the point in even discussing that if the spurs can't get passed the clippers

I'm just commenting on a GSW's fan not wanting LMA to go to the Spurs. What? You don't think they'd get by Clips with LMA instead of an injured Splitter. More to the point is does LMA help against OKC? OKC is always Spurs' biggest threat.

Alamо
07-01-2015, 02:04 PM
I'll start off by saying that I'm not a huge fan of the LMA.

But in the case of the Spurs last year, they lacked offensive fire power big time. Half of the season, when he was healthy Kawhi leonard was playing the first option role. That's not his role. With Parker injured/aging, no one on the Spurs really drew much defensive attention especially in the playoffs. The Spurs weren't the Spurs, the shooters didn't get the same open looks as 2013/2014.

With LMA, you don't have to ask Duncan and Diaw to step up as 1st scoring options in place of Parker and Leonard.

So while Splitter's defense is nice (when healthy), he's a china doll. And the team loses too much on the offensive side with him on the floor imo.

I'm not the biggest fan of LMA, but his value over Splitter is huge in both of those regards (health, midrange offense). If the Spurs could sign another defensive minded backup center who can play big minutes, that would make this whole thing huge.

tldr; overrated or not, he's a upgrade.

Rocketswin2013
07-01-2015, 02:05 PM
I'm just commenting on a GSW's fan not wanting LMA to go to the Spurs. What? You don't think they'd get by Clips with LMA instead of an injured Splitter. More to the point is does LMA help against OKC? OKC is always Spurs' biggest threat.
Who knows. The West is gonna be so exciting next year.

ninephive
07-01-2015, 02:07 PM
I've always wondered why he hasn't had more postseason success. The first time I saw the guy play, I thought he was going to be elite for sure, but it never really materialized until the 2014 playoffs when he went for 44.5/13 in the first two games against Houston. I still can't believe how easily the Spurs beat them the next series, but Lilliard just couldn't stop Parker on the defensive end (averaged 23 PPG in the 4 games he played).

Fudge
07-01-2015, 02:08 PM
I'll start off by saying that I'm not a huge fan of the Spurs.

ya u are alamo

Alamо
07-01-2015, 02:08 PM
ya u are alamo

lmao

KG215
07-01-2015, 02:38 PM
His biggest weakness to me is his inability to draw fouls. It makes him inefficient. If he's the guy in their offense, it makes them more predictable, IMO. Average passer, loves jumpers.
He also loves really tough, heavily contested 15-18 footers and/or heavily contested 12-15 foot fadeaways.

Don't get me wrong, he can get cookin' and make those tough shots look easy a lot of nights. He can also be a beast on the low block and has a nice back to the basket game. However, he's shot 47% and 46% from the field the last two years which isn't anything special for a frontcourt player; and his TS% has been 51% and 53% the last two seasons which is pretty abysmal for a frontcourt player. In fact, he's only had one season in his career where his TS% was higher than 55%. Granted, when you factor in how many mid-range jumpers he takes, I guess he is efficient enough. I think my gripe with Aldridge is that he's got a very polished back to the basket game and should spend more time setting up with the ball closer to the basket.

With that said, I expect him to fit in pretty seamlessly into Pop's system, although he's nothing special as a frontcourt passer, either. But I do think his efficiency will go up as he'll get more open looks in San Antonio's ball-movement offense.

Beastmode88
07-01-2015, 02:49 PM
Just ask the rockets.

Inferno
07-01-2015, 03:46 PM
Doesn't need athleticism for his game...he's fine at 30.

ImKobe
07-01-2015, 03:52 PM
He's a very consistent player in terms of giving you 20 and 10 a night plus he's had big games in the Playoffs. Impact-wise he isn't going to be the best player on a title team, but he's still a very good #2 guy.

Chris Bosh is the perfect comparison. He took over a 1000 jump shots and shot 39% on them with 35% from 3, that's better than most guards in the league. He's also efficient in the paint.

AirFederer
07-01-2015, 03:54 PM
I think he`s really really overrated - but then again, if POPOGOAT wants him bad, I might be mistaken :lol

Dro
07-01-2015, 03:57 PM
He also loves really tough, heavily contested 15-18 footers and/or heavily contested 12-15 foot fadeaways.

Don't get me wrong, he can get cookin' and make those tough shots look easy a lot of nights. He can also be a beast on the low block and has a nice back to the basket game. However, he's shot 47% and 46% from the field the last two years which isn't anything special for a frontcourt player; and his TS% has been 51% and 53% the last two seasons which is pretty abysmal for a frontcourt player. In fact, he's only had one season in his career where his TS% was higher than 55%. Granted, when you factor in how many mid-range jumpers he takes, I guess he is efficient enough. I think my gripe with Aldridge is that he's got a very polished back to the basket game and should spend more time setting up with the ball closer to the basket.

With that said, I expect him to fit in pretty seamlessly into Pop's system, although he's nothing special as a frontcourt passer, either. But I do think his efficiency will go up as he'll get more open looks in San Antonio's ball-movement offense.
I don't think he has the strength to consistently post up closer to the basket. I think its why he settles for midrange jumpers and eventually made it his strength...I think he was forced into it...Just guessing here........

KG215
07-01-2015, 04:08 PM
I don't think he has the strength to consistently post up closer to the basket. I think its why he settles for midrange jumpers and eventually made it his strength...I think he was forced into it...Just guessing here........
You might be right. He does have a longer, wiry build, so that makes sense.

Dro
07-01-2015, 04:09 PM
You might be right. He does have a longer, wiry build, so that makes sense.
It reminds of we all wanted KG, Rasheed, even Jermaine Oneal and others to post up closer to the basket but they just never develop the strength to do so.

JimmyMcAdocious
07-01-2015, 04:28 PM
His FG% is about where Dirk was doing his prime (48%-ish). It's not bad for a guy who relies on his jumper.

Probably going to have to account for the Spurs system as well. Aldridge likely isn't shooting as much, taking the same difficulty of shots, etc... You think Pop is going to iso Aldridge most of the game?

Mr. Jabbar
07-01-2015, 04:30 PM
his jumper has been shit lately, mitch was wise

KG215
07-01-2015, 04:33 PM
His FG% is about where Dirk was doing his prime (48%-ish). It's not bad for a guy who relies on his jumper.

Probably going to have to account for the Spurs system as well. Aldridge likely isn't shooting as much, taking the same difficulty of shots, etc... You think Pop is going to iso Aldridge most of the game?
Yeah, but with Dirk you get great 3P shooting. His career TS% is 58%, whereas Aldridge's career TS% is 53% and his best season is 56%.

rmt
07-01-2015, 05:09 PM
Don't know if he's overrated as some say, but for sure, he's an upgrade on Splitter - especially if the rest of the team remains intact. Since he can score, teams can't go (ultra) small ball on the Spurs and force him off the court the way they did Splitter. Splitter was injured a lot and even when healthy, he was only useful for big teams.

The-Legend-24
07-01-2015, 05:23 PM
When nikkas like Alridge are the most sought after free agents; you know the FA market is ass :oldlol:

JimmyMcAdocious
07-01-2015, 06:01 PM
Yeah, but with Dirk you get great 3P shooting. His career TS% is 58%, whereas Aldridge's career TS% is 53% and his best season is 56%.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I think TS% favors 3pt shooters. Up until last year when Aldridge shot a modest 35% on 105 attempts, he didn't attempt more than 28 3pters in a single season. Dirk has only had one season where he attempted less, and that was his lockout rookie year while playing 20 mpg. And you know... He looked like a gawky Euro scrub. Then Dirk proceeded to make a career out of being an elite perimeter shooter.

Don't think anyone sees Aldridge on the same level as Dirk as as shooter (who, frankly, is up there with Bird, Nash, and all the other greats).

FWIW, if Aldridge shot 88% from the line for his career like Dirk has, that bumps his TS% 54%. Negligible, but then consider the value of the 3pt shot in TS% and 15.9% of Dirks made FGs have come from 3, compared to 1.1% for Aldridge.

And I know Aldridge won't shoot 88% from the line (~80% for his career, basically improving every year in his career to 84.5% last year). Nor will he start bombing away threes like Dirk, and definitely not start making them at the same efficiency. The point is: comparatively and assuming I think I know how TS% is calculated, the difference is a little misleading. Also in case someone misreads, I'm not comparing the two as talents. Dirk is a 25 greatest, MVP peak player. He's just so happened to be the first name I thought of when I was thinking of jump shooting bigs.

Nevertheless, when I was looking at Aldridge's numbers I noticed his efficiency decrease as he jumped from 16 fga to 20 fga the last two seasons. Which interestingly coincides with Lillard's emergence. Wouldn't mind hearing from a Portland perspective what happened there. If I were to guess, he goes back down in FGA, along with the Spurs system, and his FG% jumps right back up (where he was over 49% in his first 7 years).

bluechox2
07-01-2015, 06:06 PM
all this fuss cause the laker fans made a hundred threads on it

OG LeeTSkeeT
07-02-2015, 01:32 AM
Perfect fit for the Spurs, west will be stacked with Warriors, Clippers, Spurs. all vs. Cavs

keep-itreal
07-02-2015, 01:34 AM
poor man's Anthony Davis

TheBigVeto
07-02-2015, 01:35 AM

Ya but prime Dirk is god and he's also 2nd GOAT PF. He gives you more than LMA does.

warriorfan
07-02-2015, 01:44 AM
Not athletic

Not a good defender

Not a good rebounder

Not an efficient scorer

I'm just gonna let you know there is no way in hell you are going to win anything with a player like LaMarcus Aldridge being your starting PF. The only shot he has is joining a very strong system like SA and then his lack of rim protection being hidden by Tim Duncan.