PDA

View Full Version : What's the reason for the massive cap increase?

gyu
07-01-2015, 06:10 PM
Could someone please fill me in? Seems odd considering there was a lockout not too long ago due to contract disputes between owners and players and now the cap is about to explode.

outbreak
07-01-2015, 06:11 PM
NBA negotiated a much bigger TV deal

JimmyMcAdocious
07-01-2015, 06:11 PM
http://grantland.com/the-triangle/nbas-new-tv-deal-blow-up-the-salary-cap/

gts
07-01-2015, 06:17 PM
Could someone please fill me in? Seems odd considering there was a lockout not too long ago due to contract disputes between owners and players and now the cap is about to explode.Read the grantland article posted above

Cliff note's, the new TV deal that starts in the 2016-17 season is massive and since players are guaranteed basically 50% of the revenue and that's tied to the cap they're paychecks are going up

Riley Martin
07-01-2015, 06:18 PM
http://grantland.com/the-triangle/nbas-new-tv-deal-blow-up-the-salary-cap/

Disney (ESPN/ABC) and Turner (TNT/TBS) will pay the NBA nearly $2.7 billion per year, on average, over nine years

Where's NBC? I miss NBA on NBC. :(

EnoughSaid
07-01-2015, 06:18 PM
NBA is increasing in popularity, basketball becoming the most played college sport, etc. lead to a crazy new TV Deal.

Max contracts end up going from around $22-23 mil all the way up to $40 million.

HurricaneKid
07-01-2015, 06:27 PM
Could someone please fill me in? Seems odd considering there was a lockout not too long ago due to contract disputes between owners and players and now the cap is about to explode.

The CBA outlines the revenue split between the players and owners. It outlines that the players receive ~51% of Basketball Related Income (BRI). The amount of BRI dictates the cap, etc. So when the TV deal increased TV revenues from ~800M to ~2.7B and the players get half of that. Which is reflected in the new, much higher, salary cap/salary floor, etc.

Bosnian Sajo
07-01-2015, 06:28 PM
Why does it seem odd? That was the reason there was a lockout, because they knew the tv deal was coming and wanted a cut from that. NBPA did a good job.

gts
07-01-2015, 06:44 PM
Why does it seem odd? That was the reason there was a lockout, because they knew the tv deal was coming and wanted a cut from that. NBPA did a good job.Actually they didn't.. players got bent over last time around.. they would be making more money and have better freedom to move from team to team via sign and trades and what not under the old CBA

That's also why D Fish is out as well as Billy Hunter.. they effed it all up good

ImKobe
07-01-2015, 06:45 PM
increase in revenue plus inflation