PDA

View Full Version : SBNation - Laker mystique is dead.

Springsteen
07-02-2015, 12:53 PM
http://www.sbnation.com/2015/7/2/8880797/la-lakers-lamarcus-aldridge-rumors-nba-free-agency-2015

Some interesting points from the article.

Two seasons in the tank is bad enough. But now, the Lakers have struck out on their top free agent targets three years in a row. In 2013, Dwight Howard decamped for Houston after a bizarre season in L.A. and an even weirder courtship. In 2014, Carmelo Anthony chose the awful Knicks over the awful Lakers and LeBron didn't even bother considering L.A.

And now, the Lakers appear to have lost all three of their top free agent targets on Day 1 of the 2015 free agency festival. Kevin Love decided to stay in Cleveland, Jimmy Butler is staying in Chicago and LaMarcus Aldridge has reportedly ruled out L.A. after a late-night meeting.

Reflect on that for a second. The Lakers were envious that the Rockets could make a legitimate basketball case to Aldridge because the Rockets, you know, have great players. The Lakers do not. This turns out to be a pretty big deal!

It's also at least in part due to Kobe, or more accurately the crazy contract extension the Lakers gave to Kobe. He's on the books for $25 million this season. L.A. was essentially unable to offer Aldridge a second free agent star because of Kobe's contract. The Lakers would have no problem promising a co-star in 2016 when the cap rises and Kobe's deal falls off the books. But why would Aldridge waste a year of his prime mentoring up rookies and popping shots out of Bryant's shadow when there are options to contend for a title elsewhere?

This is also where we note that the Lakers' 2016 first-round pick will transfer to the Sixers unless it lands in the top three. This was a really bad July 1 to botch given that there's even less upside than normal in being awful next year. Unless L.A. can pull a DeMarcus Cousins out of a hat or something, this could get even worse before it gets better.

So much for Lakers exceptionalism.

Thoughts? :confusedshrug:

J Shuttlesworth
07-02-2015, 12:54 PM
Once Kobe retires, people will want to play there again. Most of the real Laker fans have accepted this.

Derka
07-02-2015, 01:00 PM
Once Kobe retires, people will want to play there again. Most of the real Laker fans have accepted this.
There's a lot more to that than people think.

I don't want to say its an outright anti-Kobe sentiment, either. But while he's there, its his team and he eats first. I don't think other guys looking to put a stamp in that franchise's history would relish the idea of being second fiddle to Kobe right off the jump.

GIF REACTION
07-02-2015, 01:01 PM
There's a lot more to that than people think.

I don't want to say its an outright anti-Kobe sentiment, either. But while he's there, its his team and he eats first. I don't think other guys looking to put a stamp in that franchise's history would relish the idea of being second fiddle to Kobe right off the jump.
No.... it's just Kobe...

http://picture-cdn.wheretoget.it/emb3us-i-c50x50.jpghttp://picture-cdn.wheretoget.it/emb3us-i-c50x50.jpg

Magic 32
07-02-2015, 01:07 PM
I wonder if SBnation writers get paid by volume.

TheMarkMadsen
07-02-2015, 01:10 PM
Once Kobe's contract is up and the cap is higher , people will want to play there again. Most of the real Laker fans have accepted this.

Fixed that for you..

Anyways.

The media seems to be chomping at the bit to put out anything negative about the lakers/ Kobe

Meanwhile other players get marketing campaigns built around excuses for losing.

I guess when you've been winning for so long the haters just line up to see you fall.. The media is still butthurt after Kobe made them eat shit when he proved he could "do it without Shaq"

Funny how the biggest stories so far haven't been where these players are going, but instead that they're not going to the lakers..

Magic 32
07-02-2015, 01:11 PM
A lot of conclusions considering the 3 "failures" he is mentioning.

Dwight is a spineless loser.

Carmelo is a cancer and a money-first guy.

LA has yet to make any official statement.

And all this during a time then the Lakers best players are either under 20 or over 36.

Le Shaqtus
07-02-2015, 01:16 PM
That's what happens when you give all your money to an egotistical has been.

STATUTORY
07-02-2015, 01:19 PM
that's why we secured meetings with all the top FAs right

:facepalm

Lebron23
07-02-2015, 01:20 PM
That's what happens when you give all your money to an egotistical has been.

Le Shaqtus with no regard for human life.

Doranku
07-02-2015, 01:26 PM
Ever since Jerry died, the organization has been in a free fall.

Jim Buss :facepalm :facepalm :facepalm :facepalm :facepalm :facepalm

Springsteen
07-02-2015, 01:26 PM

Securing meetings = Current FA Juggernaut? By that logic, the Knicks are just as influential.

STATUTORY
07-02-2015, 01:27 PM

The buss family needs to sell the team NOW

they are too chickenshit and small potatoes in term of networth to own a team like the lakers

Dan Gilbert can buy the Buss family OUTRIGHT

Haymaker
07-02-2015, 01:29 PM
Lakers died with Jerry Buss.

ShackEelOKneel
07-02-2015, 01:30 PM
Apparently Lakers offered Monroe a max contract and he still chose Bucks :eek:

https://twitter.com/ramonashelburne

Springsteen
07-02-2015, 01:31 PM
they are too chickenshit and small potatoes in term of networth to own a team like the lakers

Dan Gilbert can buy the Buss family OUTRIGHT

There may be some truth in this. The Buss family is probably the only team whose sole income now comes from NBA revenue.

ClipperRevival
07-02-2015, 01:33 PM
As a Laker fan, I'm not going to sit here and say our brand hasn't diminished the last few years. It's definitely not what it used to be. In the past, guys would by tripping over themselves to be "the man" in purple and gold. But I don't think it's as bad as it looks. Once Kobe retires, a lot of stars will want to come here once again.

Mirror
07-02-2015, 01:35 PM

:roll:

Mr. Jabbar
07-02-2015, 01:36 PM
small di.ck era

Braincells
07-02-2015, 01:47 PM
Jim Buss destroyed the Laker brand the moment he went with Mike Brown over Adelman as the head coach in 2011. Then he went completely senile a year later and hired D'Antoni in an effort to bring back the showtime lakers. The only problem with that was the Gasol and Howard front-court. Clearly, this is a case of an owner who doesn't know how to think straight and get the best out of his roster. Kobe doesn't make terrible management decisions nor does he have any say in them, so I don't think he deserves the blame.

fiddy
07-02-2015, 01:49 PM
small di.ck era
/thread

Rooster
07-02-2015, 02:03 PM
Jim Buss destroyed the Laker brand the moment he went with Mike Brown over Adelman as the head coach in 2011. Then he went completely senile a year later and hired D'Antoni in an effort to bring back the showtime lakers. The only problem with that was the Gasol and Howard front-court. Clearly, this is a case of an owner who doesn't know how to think straight and get the best out of his roster. Kobe doesn't make terrible management decisions nor does he have any say in them, so I don't think he deserves the blame.

Jim Buss said the reason he did want hire back Phil Jackson was he know he's gonna be working under him. So he let his ego got in a way for the team. He should refrain himself from making basketball decision.:rolleyes:

Springsteen
07-02-2015, 02:07 PM
small di.ck era

Anyone who doesn't want to sign with this team is A: soft, B: can't handle the "big lights", C: has a small dick, or D: is not a alpha.

Not because they don't want to play on a shitty team, right.

Braincells
07-02-2015, 02:08 PM
Jim Buss said the reason he did want hire back Phil Jackson was he know he's gonna be working under him. So he let his ego got in a way for the team. He should refrain himself from making basketball decision.:rolleyes:

He wears a baseball cap to meetings. I'm sure the meeting ended with LaMarcus Aldridge thinking "does this nikka think we're playing baseball... SMH"

The way you conduct yourself represents the organization. He looks like he doesn't know what he's doing to be honest.

LoneyROY7
07-02-2015, 02:13 PM

This dude's really hyping up the Lakers SECURING MEETINGS! :roll:

My how the mighty have fallen.

gilalizard
07-02-2015, 02:28 PM
Even Kobe's ridiculous contract and end-of-career insanity isn't the core problem.

Jimmy Boy Buss is. He's a born bumbler. Jeannie needs to force him out and bring back Phil.

The Zen Master rebuilds the castle. Princess Jeannie as the sexy lady boss. Dump Scott. Get a fresh coaching face, or bring Fish back over if Phil is confident in him.

That will re-establish the mystique.

Soundwave
07-02-2015, 02:36 PM
It happens. Boston lost their luster a long time ago, the Lakers just got lucky that Shaq had (very misguided) ambitions of being a movie star which then basically set off a chain of dominos that got them out of their post-Magic Johnson retirement funk.

Today with the internet and marketing campaigns being viral and all that and TV becoming less relevant to marketers, the idea that you have to be in a LA/New York/Chicago to be a big star is pretty much kaput too.

Curry, Durant, and LeBron James are the three biggest stars in the NBA and none of them play in any of LA/NY/Chicago.

The Lakers aren't even the best team in LA anymore.

Going to a team that a good basketball fit has become much more of a priority. LeBron could've gone to New York or Chicago, but opted for Miami and then back to Cleveland. Melo chose New York. We've seen where that's gone.

Mirror
07-02-2015, 02:37 PM

:lol

PejaNowitzki
07-02-2015, 02:59 PM
There may be some truth in this. The Buss family is probably the only team whose sole income now comes from NBA revenue.

Pretty sure the Suns owner sold off like half of their 1st rounders in one decade.

warriorfan
07-02-2015, 03:03 PM
I don't know why people complain about renting prices in Los Angeles, around here it always seems free.

RightTwoCensor
07-02-2015, 03:04 PM
I'm die-hard Lakers fan and I can confirm we suck and will suck for decades on.

I wish we were the Houston Rockets, now those guys are winners.

Rooster
07-02-2015, 03:06 PM
I'm die-hard Lakers fan and I can confirm we suck and will suck for decades on.

I wish we were the Houston Rockets, now those guys are winners.

winners:facepalm :oldlol:

gts
07-02-2015, 03:26 PM
I wonder if SBnation writers get paid by volume.you wonder if they get paid at all :lol

People need to ask themselves when was the Lakers last big name free agent signing of a player in his prime then check themselves before saying things like Lakers can't draw big name free agents anymore, the mystique is gone...

hint it was 19 years ago

Springsteen
07-02-2015, 03:28 PM
I don't know why people complain about renting prices in Los Angeles, around here it always seems free.

Are you actually a Warriors fan? Everytime I see you post it seems you are slobbering the Lakers and Kobe's knob 24/7

dazzer87
07-02-2015, 03:30 PM

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

KG215
07-02-2015, 03:31 PM

:oldlol:

Because the Bucks are in a much better state as an team/organization right now than the Lakers.

That's a sentence I never thought I'd post on ISH.

senelcoolidge
07-02-2015, 03:35 PM

This. It won't be the same lakers. Those glory days are gone. Jerry Buss in not coming back from the dead.

alanLA92
07-02-2015, 03:36 PM
you wonder if they get paid at all :lol

People need to ask themselves when was the Lakers last big name free agent signing of a player in his prime then check themselves before saying things like Lakers can't draw big name free agents anymore, the mystique is gone...

hint it was 19 years ago

Lakers do the most damage in trades. Funny how people forget this and think the Lakers always get the FA like the Yankees.

STATUTORY
07-02-2015, 03:40 PM
free agency is a suckers play in the NBA

lakers rebuilding through draft like always

Springsteen
07-02-2015, 03:45 PM

Yea, Shaq was a real steal in the draft by the Lakers. Don't know how Jerry pulled that one off.

Mirror
07-02-2015, 03:45 PM

:lol

Bosnian Sajo
07-02-2015, 03:55 PM

I still don't understand how or why Mitch and Jeanie just stayed quite and let all that happen. Had Phil come to the team, I don't think we would ever be in this position. Those coaching moves were so damn frustrating, Brown is an IDIOT ****ING MORON and 'antoni just straight up didn't fit on the team, at ALL...at least Byron isn't a nut job.

BBallZen83
07-02-2015, 03:55 PM

You're trying too hard.

Megabox!
07-02-2015, 03:56 PM

:lol :applause:

Mr. Jabbar
07-02-2015, 05:03 PM
Anyone who doesn't want to sign with this team is A: soft, B: can't handle the "big lights", C: has a small dick, or D: is not a alpha.

Not because they don't want to play on a shitty team, right.

right