PDA

View Full Version : Mota Ellis finally found his fit?

Fowl
07-02-2015, 11:24 PM
So Monta Ellis is finally on a team where the Point Guard isn't ball dominant and the team doesn't rely on him to play great defense.

The list of point guards he hasn't worked with is pretty long, it includes Steph Curry, Brandon Jennings, and Rajon Rondo.

What do they all have in common? Ball dominant.

Now with George Hill he has way more freedom and he knows George Hill is just there to play his role.

Then he has Paul George. This will be a very great duo because while Monta Ellis is an offensive player, Paul George is one of the best defenders in the league.

Both these guys love to run so expect the Pacers to have an up-tempo offense with a lot of athleticism.

CelticBaller
07-02-2015, 11:25 PM
With a frank Vogel offence?

T_L_P
07-02-2015, 11:27 PM
He just played with Tyson Chandler, who is a better player than Hibbert.

Agree with the rest though - I quite like this fit.

Locked_Up_Tonight
I'm not sure. He should fit with a lot more teams. But his moodiness and temper tantrums may make him volatile.

Is he as bad as Lance Stephenson? No.

But if it aint "Monta Ball" then Monta aint happy.

Fowl
With a frank Vogel offence?
To be fair I think Frank Vogel conducts that offense like that because of the Pacer's lack of go-to scoring.

I'm sure there will be changes made to the gameplan now that Monta Ellis is in the mix.

Locked_Up_Tonight
07-02-2015, 11:29 PM
The offense will probably be adjusted moreso because:

West is gone
Hibbert is gone

Thoe two guys were not suited for an uptempo style.

hawksdogsbraves
07-02-2015, 11:57 PM
He fit pretty damned well in Dallas but yeah it seems like Indy is a good fit too.

DMAVS41
07-02-2015, 11:59 PM
There probably isn't a better pg and sf to put next to Ellis than Hill/PG....

How the rest of their team works is a different matter, but Ellis really learned how to play within an offense and he got really good at running the pick and roll.

He absolutely does not have to only play Monta ball to be good.

His issues with his personality and moods? Those are still issues however.

Locked_Up_Tonight
07-03-2015, 12:02 AM
THe absolutely does not have to only play Monta ball to be good.

His issues with his personality and moods? Those are still issues however.

The former (lack thereof) is why the latter occurs. If he aint "loved"... if he aint getting the ball and being the "man"... then he won't talk to the media... pouts... won't get into team huddles (see Denver game)... etc.

DirkNowitzki41
07-03-2015, 12:04 AM
I aint really worried about 'Monta ball' and his attitude. They were much better in Dallas for a year and a half.. literally everything got worse with Rondo. IDK what happened but it wasnt long ago when Monta was saying he wanted to retire in Dallas.

edit: it was early february...

IMO, Monta got the best fit in Indy. He's a fantastic addition for them.

DMAVS41
07-03-2015, 12:05 AM
The former (lack thereof) is why the latter occurs. If he aint "loved"... if he aint getting the ball and being the "man"... then he won't talk to the media... pouts... won't get into team huddles (see Denver game)... etc.

I don't know about that...I feel like he grew a lot in Dallas.

Hard to judge him on what happened this year....a lot of players would not have reacted well to the shit show.

We'll see....

DMAVS41
07-03-2015, 12:07 AM
I aint really worried about 'Monta ball' and his attitude. They were much better in Dallas for a year and a half.. literally everything got worse with Rondo. IDK what happened but it wasnt long ago when Monta was saying he wanted to retire in Dallas.

edit: it was early february...

IMO, Monta got the best fit in Indy. He's a fantastic addition for them.

Right...the Mavs built something nice in 14....then we go out and pay a guy big money in Parsons that doesn't really fit that well with Ellis as Parsons needs the ball a lot....then we go out and trade for a guy that doesn't work with well with Ellis either.

Not many guys in the league would handle that well....

We'll see....my guess is really good things from Ellis on the Pacers.

But I also won't pretend like there aren't issues with Ellis...there of course are.

Locked_Up_Tonight
07-03-2015, 12:10 AM
Indy looks like a good fit on paper. And his chukking tendencies happened while in Dallas. Dirk just covered up a magnitude of those shots because of spacing off the pick and rolls. He didn't have that in Milwaukee. But just like Mike Tyson says: everyone has a plan until they get hit.

The test for Monta will come when he aint the focus on offense.... or the media criticizes some of his decisions, etc. How will he handle it? He handled it horribly in Dallas.

DirkNowitzki41
07-03-2015, 12:11 AM
Right...the Mavs built something nice in 14....then we go out and pay a guy big money in Parsons that doesn't really fit that well with Ellis as Parsons needs the ball a lot....then we go out and trade for a guy that doesn't work with well with Ellis either.

Not many guys in the league would handle that well....

We'll see....my guess is really good things from Ellis on the Pacers.

But I also won't pretend like there aren't issues with Ellis...there of course are.

Agreed. While we probably will never know what exactly happened backstage that caused him to be 'moody' and a 'headache'.. I still think Ellis could have handled the whole situation better than he did.

It's sad tho.. it was awesome seeing Ellis kill all those previous labels like 'chucker', 'bad attitude', etc.. then this year happened.

DMAVS41
07-03-2015, 12:12 AM
Indy looks like a good fit on paper. And his chukking tendencies happened while in Dallas. Dirk just covered up a magnitude of those shots because of spacing off the pick and rolls. He didn't have that in Milwaukee. But just like Mike Tyson says: everyone has a plan until they get hit.

The test for Monta will come when he aint the focus on offense.... or the media criticizes some of his decisions, etc. How will he handle it? He handled it horribly in Dallas.

I think that is way too strong...but don't care to debate it.

DMAVS41
07-03-2015, 12:14 AM
Agreed. While we probably will never know what exactly happened backstage that caused him to be 'moody' and a 'headache'.. I still think Ellis could have handled the whole situation better than he did.

It's sad tho.. it was awesome seeing Ellis kill all those previous labels like 'chucker', 'bad attitude', etc.. then this year happened.

Absolutely.

Hence why there are still issues regarding his maturity and professionalism...I don't deny that at all.

Locked_Up_Tonight
07-03-2015, 12:17 AM
I'll just leave this here... an article from last year:

Ellis had nothing to say, refusing to stop to talk to reporters as he exited the locker room with headphones covering his ears. Ellis often bucks NBA rules by blowing off the media, particularly after poor performances.

sundizz
07-03-2015, 12:35 AM
Monta gets a lot of unnecessary hate.

He is one of the best penetrating guards in the league and efficient scorers. He also doesn't have attitude problems. He was on GSW for a long time, and put up great numbers, never got any recognition and just kept his mouth shut and played hard every game.

He was the only player that stepped up for Dallas in the playoffs too. Put up 26 ppg on 47% fg, 37% tre with 5.2 dimes and 2 spg.

Cone
07-03-2015, 01:06 AM

He is one of the best penetrating guards in the league and efficient scorers. He also doesn't have attitude problems. He was on GSW for a long time, and put up great numbers, never got any recognition and just kept his mouth shut and played hard every game.

He was the only player that stepped up for Dallas in the playoffs too. Put up 26 ppg on 47% fg, 37% tre with 5.2 dimes and 2 spg.

True that.

nou1990
07-03-2015, 01:11 AM
he's a fit in most nba teams

warriorfan
07-03-2015, 01:14 AM

True talk