PDA

View Full Version : How good is the West?

Joyner82reload
07-04-2015, 01:40 PM
Assuming all teams are healthy

OKC 65-70 wins
Golden state 60-65 wins
San Antonio 60-65 wins
Houston 55-60 wins
Dallas 50-55 wins
Memphis 50-55 wins
New Orleans 45-50 wins

:bowdown:

TheMarkMadsen
07-04-2015, 01:42 PM
they really need to do something about the playoff seeding

14 of the best 16 teams will be in the west this year

Braincells
07-04-2015, 01:42 PM
The conference disparity gets even worse. :facepalm

I'm not sure if it's ever been this bad.

Adam Silver needs to change the playoff format. Penalize teams that make playoffs with losing records.

Nash
07-04-2015, 01:46 PM
who cares, the best team will always win in the end

Rocketswin2013
07-04-2015, 01:48 PM
Clippers should make the playoffs, I think.

UK2K
07-04-2015, 02:09 PM
Playing against high school teams while you sleepwalk to the finals is a big advantage.

And1AllDay
07-04-2015, 02:26 PM
Are we gonna act like both East and West don't only have 2 (maybe 3) teams at most that will actually be contenders, though?

Last year for West it was Warriors and Spurs (imo) and once the Spurs flopped it was the Warriors to lose (which they didn't).

Last year for East it was Cleveland and Chicago, and we no doubt saw Cleveland emerge from the East.

Every year, maybe only 2 teams at most are title worthy from East/West but we just like to pretend an underdog will make the Finals. Hardly ever happens in the NBA, and multiple 7-game playoff series.

I bet most could predict who would come out of the East/West nearly every year for the past 10 years if given two choices from both sides. For example, in the West, we like to "pretend" the Clippers and Rockets and Grizzlies and Pelicans are contenders, but we very well know none of those are making the Finals. We just know it. We can have wishful thinking, but we all know only 3 teams can come out of the West: Spurs, Warriors, or Thunder

Just like we know only 2 teams can come out of the East: Cavaliers or Bulls

:confusedshrug:

DMAVS41
07-04-2015, 02:30 PM

Not true....and that isn't even the point.

As fans...we don't want to watch the best teams play each other in round 1 or miss the playoffs....in favor of watching the dumpster fire east teams.

It needs to change, but it won't.

And it sucks...it really hurts the nba product on the court throughout the year and hugely in the playoffs.

The NBA has so many quick easy fixes to make the product a lot better.

Shorten season and no back to backs in regular season
top 16 playoff format

level of importance and play in the regular season would go up tremendously...and playoffs would be much more interesting.

dubeta
Not as good as the East...

And1AllDay
they really need to do something about the playoff seeding

14 of the best 16 teams will be in the west this year

I do agree that the West has more "better" teams but that doesn't change the fact that at the top you really only have 5 contenders in this league. When playoffs are based off of 7-game playoff series the better teams are almost always going to come out on top with a higher chance.

I only see three teams coming out of the West (some might see only two) and those teams are: Spurs, Warriors, or Thunder (only if KD comes back healthy and beast mode like he was in 2014).

So, yeah it's great to see the Mavs and Grizzlies and Rockets and Clippers are "better" teams than what most of the East has to offer, but they still aren't advancing...

DMAVS41
07-04-2015, 02:31 PM
Are we gonna act like both East and West don't only have 2 (maybe 3) teams at most that will actually be contenders, though?

Last year for West it was Warriors and Spurs (imo) and once the Spurs flopped it was the Warriors to lose (which they didn't).

Last year for East it was Cleveland and Chicago, and we no doubt saw Cleveland emerge from the East.

Every year, maybe only 2 teams at most are title worthy from East/West but we just like to pretend an underdog will make the Finals. Hardly ever happens in the NBA, and multiple 7-game playoff series.

I bet most could predict who would come out of the East/West nearly every year for the past 10 years if given two choices from both sides. For example, in the West, we like to "pretend" the Clippers and Rockets and Grizzlies and Pelicans are contenders, but we very well know none of those are making the Finals. We just know it. We can have wishful thinking, but we all know only 3 teams can come out of the West: Spurs, Warriors, or Thunder

Just like we know only 2 teams can come out of the East: Cavaliers or Bulls

:confusedshrug:

chicago? :wtf:

they were not a contender last year..

And1AllDay
07-04-2015, 02:34 PM
chicago? :wtf:

they were not a contender last year..

I'm saying only two teams had a chance of coming out of East/West, regardless.

I guess you can add Atlanta to the East, but my point still stands. The better teams almost always still come out on top, anyway...

rmt
07-04-2015, 03:06 PM

Nope. Coasting to the Finals takes a lot less out of a team than the bloodbath that's the West. Look at LAC vs SAS. A first round loser would have beaten that Cavs team in the Finals.

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
07-04-2015, 03:28 PM
Utah will be in the playoff hunt as well

Phoenix, Minny, Denver are all solid teams too that are better than most teams in the Least.

If Kings werent retards and aint sign Rondo and give up Thompson they couldve made noise.......

as is Portland and Lakers are ONLY bad teams in West. Kings will still be better than half the Least teams but still mediocre

DMAVS41
07-04-2015, 03:38 PM
I'm saying only two teams had a chance of coming out of East/West, regardless.

I guess you can add Atlanta to the East, but my point still stands. The better teams almost always still come out on top, anyway...

I don't think anyone had a prayer outside of Cleveland last year. And the results show that.

Yea, the better teams almost always win.

The problem is...upsets are far more likely when good teams are the underdogs.

And it's just way more fun to watch good teams play longer in the playoffs.

And lastly, how tough your road is to the finals matters.

Would the Clippers have lost to the Rockets if they didn't have to play a brutal first round with Paul wearing down/injured? I don't know for sure of course...nobody does...but it certainly would have helped the Clippers if they got to play a joke East team in round 1 in a 4 or 5 game series.

It all matters....

There is no argument for having an unfair and unbalanced system.

The rest is just noise. It's already a big enough advantage to play in the weaker conference to get more wins (if the format was top 16)...but to double the advantage by giving the same teams an easier path...just silly

Why would someone be for an unfair system if they aren't incredibly biased?

Tell me the argument for keeping a system that we know is unfair...

It's going to be some bullshit about tradition and rivalries and "that's how it's always been"....and that's crap

NugzFan
07-04-2015, 03:39 PM
Assuming all teams are healthy

OKC 65-70 wins
Golden state 60-65 wins
San Antonio 60-65 wins
Houston 55-60 wins
Dallas 50-55 wins
Memphis 50-55 wins
New Orleans 45-50 wins

:bowdown:

:roll: nice try homer.

pastis
07-04-2015, 03:42 PM
lol at dallas winning 50-55 games. right now we wont even sniff the 50 mark.
guys overrating with a DJ, who has to prove that he doesnt rely only on CP3 assists right now. and then we have matthews with the woat injury for an prof. athlet.

i rather see sacramento stealing mavs place for the fight for the 8th place

DMAVS41
07-04-2015, 03:45 PM
lol at dallas winning 50-55 games. right now we wont sniff even the 50 mark.
guys overrating with a DJ, who has to prove that he doesnt rely only on CP3 assists right now. and then we have matthews with the woat injury for an prof. athlet.

there is a wide range on the Mavs wins this year.

could see as low as 40 if health is a problem and we don't fill out the roster well....and could see as high as 55 if things go well with health

not a contender so it doesn't really matter anyway. hope we find some chemistry and do enough on the court to attract a superstar this summer or become at least desirable enough to attract 2 2nd tier free agents to fill out the roster.

a big key is developing anderson. we need to find out how good he is as quickly as possible. need to play him 20 minutes a game regardless of outcomes. if we can develop him well this year it will pay huge dividends over the next couple.

pastis
07-04-2015, 03:55 PM
unfortunatelly i see anderson like Dominique jones. lots of potential, but not enough playing time due to carlise. same with rodrigue beaubois at some point

thing is, that mavs are still focusing on playoffs of course, and with this relative "weak" squad you have to play your veterans for reaching this goal - no time for rookies!

It would be a different story if we would have had a top5 pick, like wall, irving, etc. those rookies play immediatly, no matter if the team is tanking or playing for the playoffs.

but we arent in a "timberwolves-esque"-situation where you can trial by error

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
07-04-2015, 03:59 PM
lol at dallas winning 50-55 games. right now we wont even sniff the 50 mark.

lol Sac aint gon be in the 8th seed hunt unless DMC has an alltime great season. You know they just signed Rondo right..............Rondo/Gay/Cousins:roll: :roll: no floor spacing AT ALL:roll:

Utah is the team to watch. Minny, Phoenix and Denver have a better shot than Sac

ArbitraryWater
07-04-2015, 04:00 PM
How long is Cousin's contract?

And1AllDay
07-04-2015, 04:13 PM
I don't think anyone had a prayer outside of Cleveland last year. And the results show that.

Yea, the better teams almost always win.

The problem is...upsets are far more likely when good teams are the underdogs.

And it's just way more fun to watch good teams play longer in the playoffs.

And lastly, how tough your road is to the finals matters.

Would the Clippers have lost to the Rockets if they didn't have to play a brutal first round with Paul wearing down/injured? I don't know for sure of course...nobody does...but it certainly would have helped the Clippers if they got to play a joke East team in round 1 in a 4 or 5 game series.

It all matters....

There is no argument for having an unfair and unbalanced system.

The rest is just noise. It's already a big enough advantage to play in the weaker conference to get more wins (if the format was top 16)...but to double the advantage by giving the same teams an easier path...just silly

Why would someone be for an unfair system if they aren't incredibly biased?

Tell me the argument for keeping a system that we know is unfair...

It's going to be some bullshit about tradition and rivalries and "that's how it's always been"....and that's crap

So because the Clippers had to play 2 more games (7 vs 5) you think that's why the lost the next round? I'm not buying that.

As for East vs West, I think traveling has something to do with it. As does rivalries, which you mentioned. I mean, you play your East teams how many times, 4 games a season? That gives you some time to plan for what they're going to throw at you in the playoffs. And yes, having rivalries does add to the reason to keep things the way they are.

If they wanted to do a top 16 vs 8 and 8 then wouldn't they essentially have to play every team the same number of games? I suppose that's possible.

rmt
07-04-2015, 04:27 PM
So because the Clippers had to play 2 more games (7 vs 5) you think that's why the lost the next round? I'm not buying that.

As for East vs West, I think traveling has something to do with it. As does rivalries, which you mentioned. I mean, you play your East teams how many times, 4 games a season? That gives you some time to plan for what they're going to throw at you in the playoffs. And yes, having rivalries does add to the reason to keep things the way they are.

If they wanted to do a top 16 vs 8 and 8 then wouldn't they essentially have to play every team the same number of games? I suppose that's possible.

It's even more unfair for the East that they're playing mostly against lesser competition. That record is based on inferior competition unlike say being in the Southwest division where a team is playing 16 division games vs playoff competition. Time to plan is not an excuse/explanation - the Finalists play each other only 2 times a year.

DMAVS41
07-04-2015, 04:54 PM

I never claimed it was "the reason" they lost. I said it absolutely was a factor.

Why would you have to change anything in the regular season though? Why wouldn't you just keep everything the same and take the top 16?

Does that not seem more fair given the state of the league the last 15 or so years?

ninephive
07-04-2015, 05:19 PM
Think about the Southwest Conference...all 5 teams made the playoffs last year and the Mavs got Jordan, Spurs got Aldridge.

Heavincent
07-04-2015, 05:25 PM

It's funny how Bran stans like you are the only ones opposed to change. God forbid Lebron doesn't get a cakewalk to the Finals.

DMAVS41
07-04-2015, 05:41 PM
It's funny how Bran stans like you are the only ones opposed to change. God forbid Lebron doesn't get a cakewalk to the Finals.

Yep.

Obvious is obvious.

Kobe_6/8
07-04-2015, 05:49 PM
I think the only East-West playoff series should be the Finals.

Also the 2-conference system exists because of travel. There's no easy way to keep the integrity of the schedule and change the seeding.

DMAVS41
07-04-2015, 05:50 PM
I think the only East-West playoff series should be the Finals.

Also the 2-conference system exists because of travel. There's no easy way to keep the integrity of the schedule and change the seeding.

You keep the regular season as is....

Change the playoffs.

Simple. Easy. Fixes many problems.

It's not perfect, but a whole lot better.