PDA

View Full Version : Knicks acquire Kyle O'Quinn

outbreak
07-04-2015, 07:02 PM
4 year 16mill deal in a sign and trade, pieces haven't been announced.

Sad to see him go he's an under rated player and I really wanted him back

bluechox2
07-04-2015, 07:06 PM
who

outbreak
07-04-2015, 07:08 PM
who
http://www.asmsports.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/oquinn-asm-sports.jpg

He's a hustle big with a decent jump shot that can hit the occasional three and play some tough defence. Not a game changer but he's a nice back up big and I wish we'd been able to keep him. If he can keep his fouls down he's good.

Knicks giving up cash and the right to swap a future second, guess he just wanted to leave Orlando

Foster5k
07-04-2015, 07:11 PM
who
:oldlol:

Same thing Knick's fans will be saying. Who the hell is this guy? Phil Jackson is on the clock. So far, I haven't been impressed.

Shade8780
07-04-2015, 07:11 PM
Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 2m2 minutes ago

Sources: As part of O'Quinn sign-and-trade, New York will send Orlando cash and the right of swap a second-round draft pick in 2019.

https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/status/617470247814103041

niko
07-04-2015, 07:13 PM
He's a very solid player and we didn't overpay (again). It's another good move. People want this rebuild to be done in 12 seconds but that's impossible and this is what rebuilds look like.

TheMarkMadsen
07-04-2015, 07:13 PM
Knicks are really making some good moves in this free agency

Fallen Angel
07-04-2015, 07:14 PM
Knicks are really making some good moves in this free agency
:yaohappy:

http://i.gyazo.com/4f0cc387057e3990dfcaf3197d388edc.png

r0drig0lac
07-04-2015, 07:16 PM
playoffs baby http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/images/smilies/banana.gif

HylianNightmare
07-04-2015, 07:19 PM
Glad he got paid, sad to see him go. Very solid role player

Patrick Chewing
07-04-2015, 07:21 PM
Per 36 mins he's averaging 13ppg and 11 rebounds per game. Uhhh yes, thank you. I like that a lot.

TheMarkMadsen
07-04-2015, 07:23 PM
:yaohappy:

http://i.gyazo.com/4f0cc387057e3990dfcaf3197d388edc.png

how are they not..

every piece they've signed fits nicely alongside Melo.. they aren't over paying.. they have 2 good rookies who fit nicely in the triangle.. every player they've signed fits nicely in the triangle

Fallen Angel
07-04-2015, 07:27 PM
how are they not..

every piece they've signed fits nicely alongside Melo.. they aren't over paying.. they have 2 good rookies who fit nicely in the triangle.. every player they've signed fits nicely in the triangle
You're essentially giving another team free cash and the opportunity to swap second rounders in 2019 for a role player. What if the Knicks are still trash by then, teams like them, the Lakers, and Clippers don't know how to cherish draft picks. That's why all three of them are struggling filling their rosters.

JimmyMcAdocious
07-04-2015, 07:50 PM
Wow. Knicks stay winning this offseason.

Jameerthefear
07-04-2015, 07:59 PM
You're essentially giving another team free cash and the opportunity to swap second rounders in 2019 for a role player. What if the Knicks are still trash by then, teams like them, the Lakers, and Clippers don't know how to cherish draft picks. That's why all three of them are struggling filling their rosters.
cash and 2nd rounder means jack shit. the knicks got a steal. if KOQ can keep his fouling down he's really going to be a contributor.

NugzFan
07-04-2015, 08:10 PM
Wow. Knicks stay winning this offseason.

The Knicks won this offseason? :oldlol:

Is that all it takes to win in an offseason? Tear the team down to wait for max cap space and then spend it on afflalo, Lopez and oquinn?

Guarantee if you asked 100 knick fans 3 months ago if they only got those 3, at lest 95 would not call it a success.

christian1923
07-04-2015, 08:12 PM

Is that all it takes to win in an offseason? Tear the team down to wait for max cap space and then spend it on afflalo, Lopez and oquinn?

Guarantee if you asked 100 knick fans 3 months ago if they only got those 3, at lest 95 would not call it a success.
Yeah, I'm a Knicks fan and this ain't a success, solid moves though. But we're just happy cause ANYTHING is better then last year.

outbreak
07-04-2015, 08:13 PM

It isn't terrible but yeah lacks that big name you'd want. They are all decent signings though so there's nothing to be too upset about

ArbitraryWater
07-04-2015, 08:18 PM
Loved his dad on Lost

christian1923
07-04-2015, 08:20 PM
Looks like Phil is tryna build a defensive squad and let melo drop buckets. We're gonna have to find at least 2 shooters though.

NugzFan
07-04-2015, 08:21 PM
It isn't terrible but yeah lacks that big name you'd want. They are all decent signings though so there's nothing to be too upset about

Like I said ask 100 knick fans a few months ago (or even a few weeks ago) and this isn't what they wanted.

They are all "okay with it" now because it's better than nothing.

I'm pretty sure their goal wasn't to "not be upset about it".

kNicKz
07-04-2015, 08:23 PM

Based on what was available I think that Lopez was one of the better free agent signings this off season

:confusedshrug:

kNicKz
07-04-2015, 08:24 PM
Like I said ask 100 knick fans a few months ago (or even a few weeks ago) and this isn't what they wanted.

http://www.safechildren.ca/Portals/36/babycrying4.jpg

Genaro
07-04-2015, 08:25 PM
Phil have been making good moves. He didn't get Marc, DeAndre or LMA it is what it is, he moved on and he's doing the best he can after that.
O'Quinn is a good piece for the bench. I think the Knicks may make the playoffs, if healthy.

kunk75
07-04-2015, 08:26 PM
this is the kind of sensible signing i would never expect

NugzFan
07-04-2015, 08:28 PM
Based on what was available I think that Lopez was one of the better free agent signings this off season

:confusedshrug:

Whatever you gotta think to sleep at night.

NugzFan
07-04-2015, 08:29 PM
http://www.safechildren.ca/Portals/36/babycrying4.jpg

Exactly how knick fans feel after realizing who they spent all that cap space on.

kNicKz
07-04-2015, 08:30 PM
Exactly how knick fans feel after realizing who they spent all that cap space on.

try one of these bud

http://thedessertstomach.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Stephs-Snickers-Cake-Snickers-bar.jpg

Everything is going to be ok. I promise

NugzFan
07-04-2015, 08:33 PM
I don't want things to be ok.

So let me enjoy the rest of this offseason.

niko
07-04-2015, 08:55 PM

Phil tried, we couldn't get the big names, so we are building a solid team instead. I don't get your complaining. Should instead of realizing we need to do this we bitch and whine endlessly? How would that be realistic? What would that achieve?

If you didn't just watch the Knicks are realize we needed to shift gears then you're just nto paying attention.

niko
07-04-2015, 08:56 PM
I don't want things to be ok.

So let me enjoy the rest of this offseason.

Enjoy your running in place.

Patrick Chewing
07-04-2015, 09:00 PM

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y3/Babich4000/ezgif_com-add-text_zpsawgksdul.gif

NugzFan
07-04-2015, 09:06 PM
Phil tried, we couldn't get the big names, so we are building a solid team instead. I don't get your complaining. Should instead of realizing we need to do this we bitch and whine endlessly? How would that be realistic? What would that achieve?

If you didn't just watch the Knicks are realize we needed to shift gears then you're just nto paying attention.

First I'm not complaining.

Second, I'm not saying Phil shouldn't sign anyone. I'm saying it doesn't make the offseason a success when they are on plan Z.

You were that who got a 68% and thought it wasn't bad because Steve got a 55%

NugzFan
07-04-2015, 09:08 PM
Enjoy your running in place.

You think we will win 30 games again?!

That makes you the most optimistic nugget fan this year :cheers:

But I do thank you for the amazing draft pick next June.

NugzFan
07-04-2015, 09:11 PM
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y3/Babich4000/ezgif_com-add-text_zpsawgksdul.gif

:cheers:

roffie
07-04-2015, 10:49 PM
great signing. solid defender + passer. he will fit well in the triangle

jzek
07-05-2015, 12:06 AM
Just fire Phil Jackson now holy fukk :facepalm

FireMcFailPlease
07-05-2015, 12:13 AM
so are the knicks digging into their 2019 stash because 2016-2018 are already traded?

FireMcFailPlease
07-05-2015, 12:14 AM
whats there to hate? the knicks have the least appealing roster in the NBA

Pointguard
07-05-2015, 01:09 AM
He'a the third NBA player I coached. He's a native NYer.

Bay Area Baller
07-05-2015, 01:43 AM
Looks like Phil is tryna build a defensive squad and let melo drop buckets. We're gonna have to find at least 2 shooters though.

I herd Jr Smith coud shoot.

Just playing bro, liking the moves the Knicks are making. Phil Jackson favors flexibility rather that throwing money around. Seems like they are a couple players away from being a threat tho.

smoovegittar
07-05-2015, 09:07 AM
Whatever you gotta think to sleep at night.

...and I'm feeling your pain, Denver. Melo may be available next year; keep your fingers crossed.

smoovegittar
07-05-2015, 09:08 AM

Zinger is gonna be shooting the lights out if left open. Early should be much better, and Galloway can stroke it. We'll be fine.

smoovegittar
07-05-2015, 09:12 AM
It's nice to see that NY fans are seeing the big picture. MUST rebuild. Can't look back. Trolls revealing their own insecurities. At least NYC is moving forward.

niko
07-05-2015, 10:47 AM
First I'm not complaining.

Second, I'm not saying Phil shouldn't sign anyone. I'm saying it doesn't make the offseason a success when they are on plan Z.

You were that who got a 68% and thought it wasn't bad because Steve got a 55%
It wasn't bad. The only reason you think it's bad is because you a) want it to be bad and b) don't understand how basketball works.

I didn't want the Knicks to go out and try to look better because they got shitted on by the big names. Apparently you did.

niko
07-05-2015, 10:48 AM
It's nice to see that NY fans are seeing the big picture. MUST rebuild. Can't look back. Trolls revealing their own insecurities. At least NYC is moving forward.
We got crapped on by the big names. I'm not gonna lie on that. But once that happened, we moved on to a logical plan B. I like logical plan B's. Usually the Knicks after getting spurned go out and sign literally whoever will take the money and has the biggest name.

If this is 2 years ago we sign Rondo for $15M per for like 4 years.

HylianNightmare
07-05-2015, 11:21 AM
He'a the third NBA player I coached. He's a native NYer.
That's awesome, I remember reading he was a true new York guy, happy for him

longtime lurker
07-05-2015, 11:33 AM

How is this rebuilding? You've locked mediocre players into long term contracts? O'Quinn and Lopez are solid role players, but that's all they are. Williams and Afflalo are horrible. You have no assets and your top lottery pick is a huge project. I'm not haring on the Knicks but just trying to see how this isn't a shit show. What's your free agent pitch next year? Come play with Melo and Robin Lopez?

smoovegittar
07-05-2015, 11:38 AM
How is this rebuilding? You've locked mediocre players into long term contracts? O'Quinn and Lopez are solid role players, but that's all they are. Williams and Afflalo are horrible. You have no assets and your top lottery pick is a huge project. I'm not haring on the Knicks but just trying to see how this isn't a shit show. What's your free agent pitch next year? Come play with Melo and Robin Lopez?

So what would you have had us do contrary to what's going down? That's my question to you. IMO, Jax did the most logical thing he could, given the fact that he has Dolan and Carmelo shackled to his ankles.

smoovegittar
07-05-2015, 11:41 AM
We got crapped on by the big names. I'm not gonna lie on that. But once that happened, we moved on to a logical plan B. I like logical plan B's. Usually the Knicks after getting spurned go out and sign literally whoever will take the money and has the biggest name.

If this is 2 years ago we sign Rondo for $15M per for like 4 years.

There was only 1 guy I thought might give us a look - LMA. I can't blame players who don't want to take that chance here after all we've been through. But if we can show direction and Zinger proves his worth, eyes will open towards NY. We're still a big market team. Lots of "if's", but I agree.

I would have been very upset had we signed Rondo. Might be calling for Phil's head. But I'm still buying in so far...

Nastradamus
07-05-2015, 11:42 AM
The knicks are actually looking kind of interesting. They're still a star player away at least,but they have a base and they are getting an identity, which they've lacked.

Grant and Calderon are nice triangle PGs in their own way, love the fit.Galloway can play a bit too.

AFflalo was the kind of 3 and D SG they needed. He along with Lopez and O'Quinn gives them some toughness. Need a good backup here. Shved probable

You have Melo of course at the 3. You have Early, but they need a vet wing. Brewer would have been nice.

Their PF group is pretty interesting now with O'Quinn,WIlliams and Porzingis. All are young with upside.

I'm assuming they bring back Jason Smith behind Lopez, who is a quality starting C, though no star.Poor man's Deandre(good D, offensive efficiecy)

imdaman99
07-05-2015, 12:29 PM
I'm not gonna pretend to know who he is, but hearing that he is from NYC and is a hustle guy, I'll take it.

Baby steps, ANYTHING is better than the unwatchable that was the 2014-15 Knicks :oldlol:

Plus they don't have their pick, so wouldn't mind a playoff seed even if it is an unwinnable 7-8th seed.

NugzFan
07-05-2015, 12:35 PM
...and I'm feeling your pain, Denver. Melo may be available next year; keep your fingers crossed.

What pain?

And why would we sign melo? Makes no sense :facepalm

NugzFan
07-05-2015, 12:37 PM
It wasn't bad. The only reason you think it's bad is because you a) want it to be bad and b) don't understand how basketball works.

I didn't want the Knicks to go out and try to look better because they got shitted on by the big names. Apparently you did.

Oh trust me I do. That's why I know this isn't what Phil and knick fans planned on. Lots of denial itt.

Wish I made this thread back in May and read the replies...

"Haha no way we only get afflalo, Quinn and Lopez. Phil will definitely get better players!"

Pointguard
07-05-2015, 12:43 PM
That's awesome, I remember reading he was a true new York guy, happy for him
He and Speedy Claxton grew up about three blocks from each other. Charlie Villenueva went to the zoned HS. Kenny the Jet grew up a mile and a half away.

smoovegittar
07-05-2015, 01:24 PM
What pain?

And why would we sign melo? Makes no sense :facepalm
Was being snarky at Denver. Y'all have been taking shots round the board.

Patrick Chewing
07-05-2015, 01:47 PM
I think he can be our starting PF. Williams can be our energy guy off the bench.

Fudge
07-05-2015, 01:59 PM
Eat shit, Nuggets fans.

:lol :lol :lol

niko
07-05-2015, 02:09 PM
Oh trust me I do. That's why I know this isn't what Phil and knick fans planned on. Lots of denial itt.

Wish I made this thread back in May and read the replies...

"Haha no way we only get afflalo, Quinn and Lopez. Phil will definitely get better players!"
But we didn't. So we needed to switch gears, and we are in good shape after doing that. Why is this hard for you?

longtime lurker
07-05-2015, 02:31 PM
So what would you have had us do contrary to what's going down? That's my question to you. IMO, Jax did the most logical thing he could, given the fact that he has Dolan and Carmelo shackled to his ankles.

The first thing I would have done is drafted Mudiay over Porzingis. The Knicks need a player who can contribute immediately or at least 1 year vs a 3 year project. Triangle be damn, Mudiay has all the physical tools and most importantly work ethic to become a superstar in the league. In free agency I'd sign 2 young guys like Koufos, KJ McDaniels, Biyombo etc and lock them into a longer contract and use the rest of the cap space to absorb contracts like David Lee, Nene, Hibbert while accumulating assets.

For team like the Knicks, you can't build through the draft because you've traded your draft picks and you'll never land a superstar in free agency until you're at least a playoff team, but signing middle of the pack players won't get you into the playoffs so essentially you're better off taking a chance on signing young players and using cap space to collect assets to use a trade that can land you an all star. And signing 1 year contracts doesn't make sense because no one is going to give you any picks for them and if they end up playing well they'll most likely leave your team so you're back to square one.

Amar'e_Juwanna
07-07-2015, 04:18 AM
How is this rebuilding? You've locked mediocre players into long term contracts? O'Quinn and Lopez are solid role players, but that's all they are. Williams and Afflalo are horrible.

"solid role players" Lopez and KOQ got 4 year deals, while "horrible" williams and afflalo got 2 years. All of those players are better than the ones who got minutes last year. except for Lopez (who got paid for what he is - a starting C, at basically the same $$ as Chandler, who is 5 years older), all of them were signed for pretty good value in terms of years and $$.

I don't call it rebuilding, i call it building around Melo. We'll see how much Porzingis can contribute next year. I think Grant and Galloway will be effective.

Amar'e_Juwanna
07-07-2015, 04:19 AM
The first thing I would have done is drafted Mudiay over Porzingis. The Knicks need a player who can contribute immediately or at least 1 year vs a 3 year project. Triangle be damn, Mudiay has all the physical tools and most importantly work ethic to become a superstar in the league. In free agency I'd sign 2 young guys like Koufos, KJ McDaniels, Biyombo etc and lock them into a longer contract and use the rest of the cap space to absorb contracts like David Lee, Nene, Hibbert while accumulating assets.

For team like the Knicks, you can't build through the draft because you've traded your draft picks and you'll never land a superstar in free agency until you're at least a playoff team, but signing middle of the pack players won't get you into the playoffs so essentially you're better off taking a chance on signing young players and using cap space to collect assets to use a trade that can land you an all star. And signing 1 year contracts doesn't make sense because no one is going to give you any picks for them and if they end up playing well they'll most likely leave your team so you're back to square one.

Players want to win. If we get the Knicks to the point where 1 star free agent will put us into contention, along with the development of youth, the allure of NY will endure.

Blue&Orange
07-07-2015, 05:19 AM

:lol

How yeah absorbing contract of over the hill players nobody else wants, something Knicks never tried, might have worked :facepalm

C- Lopez(27)/O'Quinn (25)
Pf- Williams(24)/Porzingis(19)
SF- Melo(31)/Early(24)/Thansus(22)
SG-Afflalo(29)/Galloway(23)/Ledo(23)
Pg-Caledron(33)/Grant(22)

Young team, all complement well Melo and capspace preserved for next years.