PDA

View Full Version : Are the Pacers screwed?

keep-itreal
07-05-2015, 02:41 AM
Hibbert, David West, Lance Stephenson all gone.

Paul George coming off leg injury.

Are the Pacers fcked?

hawksdogsbraves
07-05-2015, 02:45 AM
Mmm they're kind of an enigma heading into next year honestly. As much as Bird wants to play small-ball, they made two consecutive ECF's playing big, and I'm not sure that they can reach those same heights with this roster.

Ellis looks like he could be a good fit though, if George comes back healthy I could see them having a solid year. If they don't then I could see George start to look for a way out :eek: Indy isn't exactly a destination town.

MellowYellow
07-05-2015, 02:46 AM
The real loser is Monta Ellis, why would he go to a team without a pf or c.

bdreason
07-05-2015, 02:47 AM
It's the East. Monta + PG will have them battling for a playoff spot.

hawksdogsbraves
07-05-2015, 02:49 AM
It's the East. Monta + PG will have them battling for a playoff spot.

Absolutely. Monta Elllis is the sort of player who will NEVER be on a championship contender but will always have his team in the playoffs. A shoot-first point guard who shoots sub 30% from 3, he's a good player but he's literally the opposite of what the NBA wants right now.

bdreason
07-05-2015, 02:55 AM
I'm a big Monta fan, but his ideal NBA role would be playing 20-30 minutes off the bench as a 6th man. It's not that he isn't talented enough to be a starter, it's that his skillset isn't what you're looking for in a starting PG or a starting SG.

bdreason
07-05-2015, 02:58 AM
And honestly, I could see Monta on a championship team, but only as a roleplayer, which means he would have to check his ego. He's only making $11m per year, which in a couple years, will be a roleplayers salary. If you could bring him on a contender, and convince him to play the role, he could be deadly.

Cone
07-05-2015, 03:52 AM
I can definitely see Monta on a contender if he comes off the bench as a super 6th man ala Harden or Ginobili. (not saying he is as good as them though)

He can prob drop almost 20ppg in 30mpg coming off the bench against 2nd units.

Cone
07-05-2015, 03:54 AM
As for the OP, the Pacers are not scrwed at all.

GHill, Ellis, and PG is a great 1-2-3 and will easily put them in the playoffs in the East. I say top 4-6 seed. 2nd round exit. and thats their roster as is with no C and PF.

salwan
07-05-2015, 03:58 AM
well, they tried to get rid of hibbert, they won't miss him.
west is geting old.

it's time to rebuild around PG.

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
07-05-2015, 04:04 AM
uhhhh..........yall nikkas know Indy playin small next season right. Bird got tired of watching the sht offense, George said he wants to play PF more, Vogel talked bout it

Turner will be C, George PF, Solomon or Miles SF and Hill/Monta 1/2

Indy will look alot different next season

MellowYellow
07-05-2015, 04:09 AM
uhhhh..........yall nikkas know Indy playin small next season right. Bird got tired of watching the sht offense, George said he wants to play PF more, Vogel talked bout it

Turner will be C, George PF, Solomon or Miles SF and Hill/Monta 1/2

Indy will look alot different next season

Sounds terrible

VIntageNOvel
07-05-2015, 04:13 AM
Hibbert, David West, Lance Stephenson all gone.

Paul George coming off leg injury.

Are the Pacers fcked?

https://cdn2.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/_oY_o7y7qmmXBBISrpo4J_wRteM=/0x1009:3301x3210/730x487/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/45630750/usa-today-8341398.0.jpg

keep-itreal
07-05-2015, 04:15 AM
https://cdn2.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/_oY_o7y7qmmXBBISrpo4J_wRteM=/0x1009:3301x3210/730x487/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/45630750/usa-today-8341398.0.jpg
:oldlol:

mentallooser
07-05-2015, 04:40 AM
No. I'll miss that core as it was fun to watch.... On defense. This looks to be a very different style of team. Looking forward to it

PacerRaptor
07-05-2015, 08:31 AM
With the Lakers taking Hibbert's massive contract, the Pacers are under the cap and can trade for a big man, like David Lee, without sending any assets. They'll be able to absorb a contract

HylianNightmare
07-05-2015, 09:34 AM
I hope not,I want to see playoff PG

Fallen Angel
07-05-2015, 09:39 AM
George Hill
Monta Ellis | CJ Miles
Paul George
Myles Turner | Lavoy Allen
Ian Mahinmi

That squad is already better than last year's Pacers team, who barely missed the playoffs.

bdreason
07-05-2015, 02:13 PM
With the Lakers taking Hibbert's massive contract, the Pacers are under the cap and can trade for a big man, like David Lee, without sending any assets. They'll be able to absorb a contract

David Lee would do wonders for that team.

Carter_17
07-05-2015, 02:13 PM
Pacers landed the 3rd best SG all time and the best player in this FA. So no they are not screwed, they are ready to compete. I can see them beating Cavs in ECF Finals and then go vs Warriors at NBA Finals.
Ellis will win Warriors in 5 and take revenge for his trade to the freaking Bucks.
:rockon:

DMAVS41
07-05-2015, 02:15 PM
I love what the Pacers have done.

Turner is going to be a perfect fit on this team....they should be really good in that joke of a conference.

Carter_17
07-05-2015, 02:15 PM
David Lee would do wonders for that team.

Man that would be the dream. GOATEllis and Lee in a quest to redeem themselves facing Warriors in NBA finals.
http://i.imgur.com/g7IsB.gif

Carter_17
07-05-2015, 02:17 PM
I love what the Pacers have done.

Turner is going to be a perfect fit on this team....they should be really good in that joke of a conference.

Said the Mavs fan :facepalm

Parsons ,DJ getting payed the max , Lin as your starting PG , Paying 17 mil a guy who just recovered from a possibly career ending injury, letting the best SG in the league right now walk.

Guess who will be the joke of the NBA next season :lol

bdreason
07-05-2015, 02:19 PM
Apparently they signed Stuckey as well.

DMAVS41
07-05-2015, 02:24 PM
Said the Mavs fan :facepalm

Parsons ,DJ getting payed the max , Lin as your starting PG , Paying 17 mil a guy who just recovered from a possibly career ending injury, letting the best SG in the league right now walk.

Guess who will be the joke of the NBA next season :lol

I don't follow this at all. So because I'm a Mavs fan...I can't comment on other teams?

This is like the third time someone has posted something like this. Which makes no sense at all regardless, but makes even less sense as I've been against pretty much everything the Mavs have done over the last 2 years.

Are you kids like 10 years old? Am I wasting my time talking ball here with 5th graders?

:facepalm

Carter_17
07-05-2015, 02:29 PM
I don't follow this at all. So because I'm a Mavs fan...I can't comment on other teams?

This is like the third time someone has posted something like this. Which makes no sense at all regardless, but makes even less sense as I've been against pretty much everything the Mavs have done over the last 2 years.

Are you kids like 10 years old? Am I wasting my time talking ball here with 5th graders?

:facepalm

I honestly read "they should do really good as the joke of the conference" so my bad. Though you were sarcastic.
:cheers:

Dro
07-05-2015, 02:37 PM
Screwed? Here I was being pretty optimistic and thinking we'll have a pretty good team.

Miles Turner looks pretty good. I like George Hill and Ellis in the same backcourt, great fit to me. I love Miles and Solomon Hill off the bench. David Lee, I'm fine with. They brought back Lavoy Allen. If they want him at the 4, I'm fine with that. If they want Scola back, I'm fine with that. I like the new direction. I like PG at the 4 sometimes this year, I'm fine with the team actually and I think we'll be pretty good.....

My main concern is PG's health. That's been my main concern the entire time.

Stuckey too? If we add anyone else, this forum will be talking about how stacked we are :rolleyes:

Dr. Cheesesteak
07-05-2015, 02:38 PM
I know some ppl are buying the Pacers. I'm not.

Mahinmi
M Turner
PG
Ellis
G Hill
-------
L Allen
S Hill
Rudez
CJ Miles
Stuckey
J Young

Solid team. Really, I don't think they're bad. But even in the East, I doubt they make the playoffs. 3 teams in their own division are significantly better.

I will say, I think the fight for the 6~8 seed in the East will be more fun than in the West. I think the West is pretty predictable on what teams will vie for playoff spots - the entire Southwest, GSW, LAC, Phoenix, and OKC (though I think the Jazz will be a new low seed contender, replacing the Blazers).

But the East? I honestly think Cleveland is the only shoe-in. I think any combination of a dozen teams can fill those remaining 7 playoff spots. But yeah, I'll acknowledge Indy is one of those dozen teams...

Dro
07-05-2015, 02:43 PM
George Hill/Rodney Stuckey
Monta Ellis/CJ Miles/Stuckey
Paul George/CJ Miles/Solomon Hill
Lavoy Allen/Damo Rudez/Miles Turner and whoever else David Lee, Scola, etc.
Miles Turner/Mahimi

Like I said, they just need a big man and PG to stay in healthy. In the East? Thats a top 4 team.

Dr. Cheesesteak
07-05-2015, 02:46 PM
George Hill/Rodney Stuckey
Monta Ellis/CJ Miles/Stuckey
Paul George/CJ Miles/Solomon Hill
Lavoy Allen/Damo Rudez/Miles Turner and whoever else David Lee, Scola, etc.
Miles Turner/Mahimi

Like I said, they just need a big man and PG to stay in healthy. In the East? Thats a top 4 team.
can I get some of that sh*t? :pimp: Pacers have a chucking Ellis, a recovering Paul George who is no longer the 2nd best player in the world, and their best big is a rookie?

Who are your other 2 non-Cleveland teams? I don't see Pacers being on the same level as Washington, Toronto, Chicago, Milwaukee, Atlanta, or a healthy Miami. Hell, I think even Boston and Orlando will be vastly better this season... I like the Pacers wing depth and Mahinmi is a defensive presence, but I have no idea how this team can be viewed as a Top 4 team, as currently constructed.

Dro
07-05-2015, 03:18 PM
can I get some of that sh*t? :pimp: Pacers have a chucking Ellis, a recovering Paul George who is no longer the 2nd best player in the world, and their best big is a rookie?

Who are your other 2 non-Cleveland teams? I don't see Pacers being on the same level as Washington, Toronto, Chicago, Milwaukee, Atlanta, or a healthy Miami. Hell, I think even Boston and Orlando will be vastly better this season... I like the Pacers wing depth and Mahinmi is a defensive presence, but I have no idea how this team can be viewed as a Top 4 team, as currently constructed.
I don't really see any those teams being all that great except MAYBE Atl and I want to see them prove it a 2nd year in a row like a lot of people so yeah, I think we just as good a chance to be as good as any of them......

Carter_17
07-05-2015, 03:21 PM

Cavs, Hawks, Bulls , Wizards, Pacers, Raptors will make the playoffs 100%

They are 1 tier above every other team. Heat will be there aswell if they stay healthy. There is 1 spot left and will go to either Bucks, Celtics or Detroit if Jennings stay healthy.

But there is no doubt for the first 6 teams.

Dr. Cheesesteak
07-05-2015, 04:32 PM
I don't really see any those teams being all that great except MAYBE Atl and I want to see them prove it a 2nd year in a row like a lot of people so yeah, I think we just as good a chance to be as good as any of them......
well, I didn't say they'd be great. Just better than Indy... =P

Cavs, Hawks, Bulls , Wizards, Pacers, Raptors will make the playoffs 100%

They are 1 tier above every other team. Heat will be there aswell if they stay healthy. There is 1 spot left and will go to either Bucks, Celtics or Detroit if Jennings stay healthy.

But there is no doubt for the first 6 teams.
I dont know, I must be missing something here. Like I said, I like the Pacers roster. I still dont see them on the same level as Hawks, Bulls, Wiz, etc. Maybe I'm just putting too much value on PG's injury? Maybe I need to know more about Miles Turner? Or have more faith in Monta?

I did see some Pacer games last season, when they were depleted by injuries, and I don't see how adding Monta, a rookie big, and a recovering PG suddenly makes them a great team in the East.

Plus how can you say Bucks will only vie for an 8 seed? You realize they were a 6 seed last season and have vastly improved? We should be talking about them as a possible Top 4 team, not the Pacers.

Carter_17
07-05-2015, 06:58 PM
well, I didn't say they'd be great. Just better than Indy... =P

I dont know, I must be missing something here. Like I said, I like the Pacers roster. I still dont see them on the same level as Hawks, Bulls, Wiz, etc. Maybe I'm just putting too much value on PG's injury? Maybe I need to know more about Miles Turner? Or have more faith in Monta?

I did see some Pacer games last season, when they were depleted by injuries, and I don't see how adding Monta, a rookie big, and a recovering PG suddenly makes them a great team in the East.

Plus how can you say Bucks will only vie for an 8 seed? You realize they were a 6 seed last season and have vastly improved? We should be talking about them as a possible Top 4 team, not the Pacers.

You need to put more faith in Monta. Dude is easily the 2nd best SG in the league and if he can bring a team with second best player being 36years old Dirk in the West playoffs then he can sure bring those Pacers to East playoffs.
Plus Pacers guards can actually defend so they can hide Monta's only weakness.

Dr. Cheesesteak
07-05-2015, 08:51 PM
You need to put more faith in Monta. Dude is easily the best SG in the league
:lol :lol :lol :lol

stopped reading.

Carter_17
07-05-2015, 09:15 PM
:lol :lol :lol :lol

stopped reading.

Forgot about Harden tbh.
Still top2

Dro
07-05-2015, 09:41 PM
Forgot about Harden tbh.
Still top2
Yeah, you did...But I'd give him 2. Its between him and Thompson I guess. Monta better at creating his own shot...Klay better on defense. The gap on defense may be larger than the gap on offense so I'd probably put Klay ahead of Monta....

Can't even think of that many other good SG's...What happened to the SG's?

Carter_17
07-05-2015, 09:53 PM
Yeah, you did...But I'd give him 2. Its between him and Thompson I guess. Monta better at creating his own shot...Klay better on defense. The gap on defense may be larger than the gap on offense so I'd probably put Klay ahead of Monta....

Can't even think of that many other good SG's...What happened to the SG's?

Monta still more clutch and proved that he can carry teams, unlike Klay who almost shat the bed in the finals. But I dont hate Klay he is borderline top3 or you could say he shares the 2 spot just because of Monta's lack of defense.

Zone defense happened to SGs .There is no space get past your defender and drive. WIth the old rules the defense was forced to guard the Tony Allen of your team in the 3 point line so players like M.J could just get past 1 guy and have a walk to the basket or hit an open midrange.
SG is an outdated position , more outdated than Center in today's NBA.

Reggie43
07-05-2015, 10:50 PM
Pretty excited to watch a diff playing style from the team and if they get a decent defensive anchor to pair up with all those scorers they have they're far from being "screwed".

TheBigVeto
07-05-2015, 11:19 PM
Dude is easily the best SG in the league

LOL take it easy dude. I know he's better than Kobe, but let's not get carried away, there are many other SGs in the league who are better than Kobe.

Carter_17
07-05-2015, 11:24 PM
LOL take it easy dude. I know he's better than Kobe, but let's not get carried away, there are many other SGs in the league who are better than Kobe.

Yes after all these injuries and at 37 years old there are 3 SGs better than him:
Monta Harden and Klay.
He is still better than Jordan

Dr. Cheesesteak
07-06-2015, 12:38 AM
Yes after all these injuries and at 37 years old there are 3 SGs better than him:
Monta Harden and Klay.
He is still better than Jordan
Monta has skill and ability, no doubt. But I'd say Harden, Klay, Jimmy Butler, and Beal are all better than Monta, overall. So I'll give Monta the #5 spot. And those are just the pure SGs. Not even counting combo guards like Bledsoe, Jennings, etc.

But that doesn't even mean I'd only take those 4 over him. There's probably a handful of other SGs I'd take over Monta. You know, ones that can pass and defend.