PDA

View Full Version : Where Would You Rank Peak Kevin McHale Today?

Milbuck
07-05-2015, 07:01 PM
Where would you rank Kevin McHale in today's NBA ?

GIF REACTION
07-05-2015, 07:04 PM
Kevin McHung.

christian1923
07-05-2015, 07:04 PM
Best white player. Maybe top 15 overall

ArbitraryWater
07-05-2015, 07:05 PM
Best white player. Maybe top 15 overall

dumb as shit

tpols
07-05-2015, 07:10 PM
Other than bron, durant, davis, steph, paul, and Westbrook idk of any are hands down better.

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
07-05-2015, 07:16 PM
Best big man for sure, top 5 player
can u fcking imagine Mchales torture chamber of a postgame with the arsenal of shots and footwork in todays league with these post defenders:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: he was a really good defender and rebounder too

smoovegittar
07-05-2015, 07:25 PM
He'd still be that talented pain in the ass. Hated him back then.

SHAQisGOAT
07-05-2015, 07:35 PM
His 1987 "version"? Only PF I'd take over him, nowadays, would be Anthony Davis, also because of potential/upside.

-> Peak McHale would've clearly been a top10 player right now, borderline top5 even...
Similar to what he "was" back then.

It lasted very little though, only major downside to it, pretty shameful...
He was really coming into his own by 1984, kept improving and they had to move him into the starting lineup in 1985, still took that extra step and really peaked in 1986-87... But then played through a broken foot for the 1987 Playoffs which really screwed him, never the same again, just kept going downhill from there into his 30's...

Describing him at his peak:

Dude was just a great scoring PF.
He had every move you can think of while in the post (only Hakeem rivals him at that), extremely close to unstoppable there 1on1, terrific soft-touch around the rim, had a hook-shot and a turnaround fader.
Had very good basketball IQ, moving without the ball going to his best spots, winning position.
Could hit plenty of open jumpers with some range to it, shot over 80% from the FT line.
Great overall defensive player, pretty good rebounder...

Not what you'd call a bad passer (in terms of skill) but certainly not that close to a good one and could turn into a blackhole plenty, many times tried to do too much if not "influenced" otherwise.
Was very tall, extremely long, pretty mobile but not very strong or physical.
Didn't have that pick-n-roll/pop game.
Despite being a great defender, didn't have that defensive bigmen anchor type of impact, ala Timmy or KG.
Didn't have that killer mentality either, nor that alpha-dog work ethic.

turret
07-05-2015, 07:37 PM
He wrote the book on up/ under & his version of the sky hook he was near unstoppable
With the ticky tack sh*t they call now, he might out do Harden on the line.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdtgUOiWHJg

Barkley on open court said he was the best he ever played against
and Charles was a beast.

easy top 5 today

SHAQisGOAT
07-05-2015, 07:49 PM
He wrote the book on up/ under & his version of the sky hook he was near unstoppable
With the ticky tack sh*t they call now, he might out do Harden on the line.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdtgUOiWHJg

Barkley on open court said he was the best he ever played against
and Charles was a beast.

easy top 5 today

That vid always gets me, beautiful display of scoring in the post, just amazing :applause: :bowdown:

Don't know about best but he definitely said, plenty of times, that McHale was his toughest matchup (could even be on both ends combined).

Wouldn't say easy top5 today though, not at all...
Active players I'd take over 1987 McHale would be LeBron, Durant, Curry, Davis, probably Westbrook and CP3, you also got Harden... So, wouldn't really say top5 but very close to it anyways.
Like I've said, similar to what he "was" back then.
And, again, shame that it lasted very little.

LAZERUSS
07-05-2015, 08:04 PM
His 1987 "version"? Only PF I'd take over him, nowadays, would be Anthony Davis, also because of potential/upside.

-> Peak McHale would've clearly been a top10 player right now, borderline top5 even...
Similar to what he "was" back then.

It lasted very little though, only major downside to it, pretty shameful...
He was really coming into his own by 1984, kept improving and they had to move him into the starting lineup in 1985, still took that extra step and really peaked in 1986-87... But then played through a broken foot for the 1987 Playoffs which really screwed him, never the same again, just kept going downhill from there into his 30's...

Describing him at his peak:

Dude was just a great scoring PF.
He had every move you can think of while in the post (only Hakeem rivals him at that), extremely close to unstoppable there 1on1, terrific soft-touch around the rim, had a hook-shot and a turnaround fader.
Had very good basketball IQ, moving without the ball going to his best spots, winning position.
Could hit plenty of open jumpers with some range to it, shot over 80% from the FT line.
Great overall defensive player, pretty good rebounder...

Not what you'd call a bad passer (in terms of skill) but certainly not that close to a good one and could turn into a blackhole plenty, many times tried to do too much if not "influenced" otherwise.
Was very tall, extremely long, pretty mobile but not very strong or physical.
Didn't have that pick-n-roll/pop game.
Despite being a great defender, didn't have that defensive bigmen anchor type of impact, ala Timmy or KG.
Didn't have that killer mentality either, nor that alpha-dog work ethic.

:cheers:

And right now...I would take a peak McHale over AD. Long term, probably not.

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
07-05-2015, 08:08 PM

Agreed:applause:

christian1923
07-05-2015, 08:16 PM
dumb as shit
You probably never watched him play

SHAQisGOAT
07-05-2015, 08:23 PM

Hmm, I don't know, you could definitely say that though...
Kevin was clearly a better scorer although AD has been a clear-cut #1 option while being a better rebounder and showing he can pass or share the ball better/more than McHale. Their defensive impact, as of right now, is pretty comparable.
McHale at his best was a proven winner though, a very smart, "refined" veteran with very good impact on some great teams...

Long term? Knowing what I know now? I'd definitely take AD (providing he keeps it up and stays healthy), as he's only 21 and prime McHale lasted very little...

FKAri
07-05-2015, 08:35 PM
He'd be worse defensively but better offensively in today's league.

SHAQisGOAT
07-05-2015, 08:42 PM
He'd be worse defensively but better offensively in today's league.

Why, worse defensively?

Better offensively? Probably when you look to the current crop of bigmen yea, but wouldn't make HIM necessarly better.

j3lademaster
07-05-2015, 08:54 PM
Best big man for sure, top 5 player
can u fcking imagine Mchales torture chamber of a postgame with the arsenal of shots and footwork in todays league with these post defenders:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: he was a really good defender and rebounder tooare the current bigs right now THAT bad from the defensive standpoint? I thought the complaint was always the lack of DRob/ Dream-esque 2wayers.

Anyway, McHale had beast defensive versatility. Dude was 6'10 with 7'5 wingspan and was able to guard Dominique Wilkins as well as anyone could have so I have no doubt he'd do a pretty decent job on KD and Lebron. Maybe not my first choice as a defensive anchor, but no slouch. Smart cutter and elite post skills means he'd be hanging around 20 ppg. Maybe 7-10 rebounds(I know big descrepancy) depending on who his teammates are and what kind of defensive role he was put in. He was a better rebounder than his numbers suggested though, it's just that he played with Bird and Chief and one of the best bench centers ever: bill Walton.

Akrazotile
07-05-2015, 09:03 PM
One of the game's most underrated players.

Dudes like him, Kidd, D-Rob etc don't get their due on all time lists because of all the rings/sidekick/fmvp retard rhetoric. I'd take any of those guys over Kobe, EASY.

FKAri
07-05-2015, 09:20 PM
Why, worse defensively?

Better offensively? Probably when you look to the current crop of bigmen yea, but wouldn't make HIM necessarly better.

Big men have to come out on hard shows or switches a lot more. He'd have trouble not fouling quick guards (as everyone does). Offensively, he'd put up better numbers not because of a weaker crop of big men as much as the way the game is officiated now. His game is very conducive to drawing ticky tack fouls.

Do these things make him worse or better? Maybe not but the results on the course would be as such.