PDA

View Full Version : BREAKING: Cory Joseph to the Raptors

GoRapz
07-05-2015, 10:20 PM
Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine 13m13 minutes ago

ESPN sources say newly unrestricted free agent Cory Joseph is closing in on a deal with the Toronto Raptors

Terms haven't been released yet but hopefully Masai got Cory for low-low. This is a great signing none the less and I could see Cory eventually taking over for Lowry in the future.

EDIT: 4 years at 30 million. Overpaid

Cocaine80s
07-05-2015, 10:20 PM
Lpurs

T_L_P
07-05-2015, 10:24 PM
Damn, that's a big blow. I love CoJo. :(

He deserves more money and a larger role though.

BoogieWoogieMan
07-05-2015, 10:27 PM
Come back home, young man. :applause:

dubeta
07-05-2015, 10:28 PM
Now more minutes for the best Spur of the last decade: Tony Parker

Milbuck
07-05-2015, 10:31 PM
Damn, that's a big blow. I love CoJo. :(

He deserves more money and a larger role though.
:facepalm

Kujo
07-05-2015, 10:32 PM
I knew this had a good a chance of happening once the Spurs re-nounced his rights. He's improved a lot since his rookie year, and is one of the best backup PGs in the NBA.

Always hoped he'd end up a Raptor one day. Finally, a Canadian on the Raptors roster. Masai fulfilled his promise. :applause:

ArbitraryWater
07-05-2015, 10:32 PM

dafuq :roll: :roll:

who is this now.. Milbuck or moe?!

imnew09
07-05-2015, 10:35 PM
dafuq :roll: :roll:

who is this now.. Milbuck or moe?!

Both are fggot

T_L_P
07-05-2015, 10:35 PM

Go celebrate with fries and a shake, just like the guy in your avatar is. :coleman:

dubeta
07-05-2015, 10:36 PM
Go celebrate with fries and a shake, just like the guy in your avatar is. :coleman:

Why would Parker celebrate? he needs more rest after carrying Duncan and the Spurs for the last decade. :coleman:

T_L_P
07-05-2015, 10:43 PM
Why would Parker celebrate? he needs more rest after carrying Duncan and the Spurs for the last decade. :coleman:

He's been able to rest for 15 games a year lately. Spurs had no problem going 30-12 without him.

Spurs5Rings2014
07-05-2015, 10:54 PM

Parker was worse than Dellavedova in the post-season.

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Dr.J4ever
07-05-2015, 10:56 PM
The report or rumor seemed to say "closing in", but he hasn't signed yet, has he?

Well, at least I hope not. Cory has been heavily discussed and a wish list for the 76ers in the last few days. We don't see him as our PG of the future(we think we can draft a top tier PG next year with a ton of picks in the 1st round), but we do see Cory as a stop gap PG or valuable rotation guy for us.

Oh well.:(

toxicxr6
07-05-2015, 10:58 PM
Could see that happening..

What do the Spurs have to offer another PG? Have they got anything left to offer.. I really hope they don't think the combo of Parker/mills is enough to get through the season.. Given parkers health issues they really need another realiable PG

GoRapz
07-05-2015, 11:29 PM
4 years at 30 million. Overpaid :facepalm

Springsteen
07-05-2015, 11:38 PM
:(

rmt
07-06-2015, 12:16 AM
Wow - $30m/4 years - Spurs role players getting paid by other teams. That makes Leonard's and Green's contracts seem cheap. I feel sorry for Mills who locked in at $13m/3 years - a year too early. Timing's everything.

gyu
07-06-2015, 12:22 AM
What does Cory joseph do well?

JimmyMcAdocious
07-06-2015, 12:24 AM
Defend. I don't see how he's a starter down the line tho.

BurningHammer
07-06-2015, 12:32 AM
Very expensive backup PG, unless Lowry is shipped away soon.

yeaaaman
07-06-2015, 12:35 AM
What does Cory joseph do well?

He's a good defender, smart player learning from pop, can run an offense and doesn't turn the ball over much. Good decision maker with good potential. I think it's a good signing.

Twiens
07-06-2015, 12:45 AM
Raps signing nothing but defenders, love the direction we're going.

gyu
07-06-2015, 12:45 AM
He's a good defender, smart player learning from pop, can run an offense and doesn't turn the ball over much. Good decision maker with good potential. I think it's a good signing.
How about his weaknesses?

Legends66NBA7
07-06-2015, 12:56 AM
Barkleynash is getting his way :oldlol: . Also agree with Tweins that Masai is signing guys that are well above average defensively and should by all accounts improve next year in that regard.

But I'm still going to hold on to fact that this a redundant move. Both Delon Wright and Cojo play the same position and both like to drive the ball and pass. Cory needs to shoot the ball much better from 3 when he plays off guard to become less of a redundancy because Wright doesn't have much range at the moment. Once he does that, then they can become a much better backcourt tandem.

yeaaaman
07-06-2015, 01:09 AM
How about his weaknesses?

He's not a great shooter at this point, obviously he's limited in that he's a role player but he's a solid, smart role player whose still young and can grow. I don't think hes the fastest but he's quick enough to play good D and slash.

Let's not go overboard his "weakness" is he's basically not a make or break player. But, when you're trying to change your culture, I think it's good to get defensive players that are young and compete. Especially with championship pedigree on a team that got embarrassed in last years playoffs.

Legends66NBA7
07-06-2015, 01:30 AM
He's not a great shooter at this point, obviously he's limited in that he's a role player but he's a solid, smart role player whose still young and can grow. I don't think hes the fastest but he's quick enough to play good D and slash.

Let's not go overboard his "weakness" is he's basically not a make or break player. But, when you're trying to change your culture, I think it's good to get defensive players that are young and compete. Especially with championship pedigree on a team that got embarrassed in last years playoffs.

Like I said before, this description basically describes Delon Wright minus the championship pedigree. Why pick Wright and then sign Cory, when they are redundants ? This was the same problem with Lou and GV last year, they dominated the ball too much and didn't play much defense.

Cory has to become better from range if he's going to play off guard. I can't see him or Delon starting unless there's a trade in the works involving Lowry for a PF and I doubt that his happening at this point.

nzahir
07-06-2015, 01:32 AM
4 years 30 million for a good backup pg...holy **** the nba has gone mad.

PickernRoller
07-06-2015, 01:34 AM
Good. How are we looking at the PG position for the Spurs? Parker and Patty Mills.

A feast for West PG's.

gyu
07-06-2015, 01:40 AM

Thanks, repped you for the Cory player overview :cheers:

gyu
07-06-2015, 01:40 AM
4 years 30 million for a good backup pg...holy **** the nba has gone mad.
After adjusting for the cap increase, it isn't.

Done_And_Done
07-06-2015, 01:53 AM
Don't like the price tag at all. He's done nothing to warrant such a drastic pay hike. However, I do like the player a lot. He's a steady eddy point guard who comes from the greatest franchise in the league. But my goodness @ that contract.

I very happy to have Cojo aboard. I just wish he was coming in for a few mill less

barkleynash
07-06-2015, 02:29 AM
Hey Legends, yeah, I have been calling joseph to raps for a while. The raps are trying to get younger, because, lets be honest, Cleveland is going to probably own the east for a few years.
I think the raps have no choice but to stay with their core this year, as they are hosting the allstar game.
lowry, joseph, Wright
Derozen, Ross powell
Demarre, JJ Bruno
Patterson, Free agent Daniels
Val biyombo

Lots of lineup flexibility. Some nice 2 point guard looks. Ross off the bench as a shooter.
JJ able to play both forward spots. Demarre able to play both forward spots. I still think raps will make one trade. Maybe Ross or James Johnson going out. Or just use ridnour and remaining 3 mill in cap space to get a serviceable power forward. We have 4 first rounders in the next two years too, so they could still make a trade.

Still an outside chance they trade Demar for that power forward or lowry. I think they stand pat with what they have, make one more signing or trade involving JJ or Ross to get the power forward and that is the team going forward. I wouldn't mind Dorrell wright on the vets minimum just as a three and d glue guy. Especially if they trade one of Ross or JJ. Or bring back chuck hayes on minimum for leadership.

Cactus-Sack
07-06-2015, 03:56 AM
7.5/year is gonna be a steal for years 3 & 4.

Really sad to see Cory go. It's been a pleasure watching him develop over the last four years. Good that he went home though, ic can see him retiring a raptor.

Nice pick up raps fans.

bdreason
07-06-2015, 04:01 AM
Very good backup point. $7m sounds like a lot now for a backup PG, but that's like MLE money in a year.

yeaaaman
07-06-2015, 07:58 AM
Don't like the price tag at all. He's done nothing to warrant such a drastic pay hike. However, I do like the player a lot. He's a steady eddy point guard who comes from the greatest franchise in the league. But my goodness @ that contract.

I very happy to have Cojo aboard. I just wish he was coming in for a few mill less

Well to be fair, Vasquez was making 6.6 mil and couldn't play any defense, wasn't a great decision maker and had already peaked. Joseph hasn't even hit his prime and still has room to grow, especially with increased minutes, and according to Michael Grange is their best guard defender.

Michael Grange ✔@michaelgrange
Raptors consider Cory Joseph better than any of the guards they have, defensively. Love his character. Local angle is third.
10:24 PM - 5 Jul 2015

red1
07-06-2015, 08:42 AM

I don't get it either. They overpaid big time

Velocirap31
07-06-2015, 08:42 AM
You guys need to realize that 7.5/year is not going to be much money in a few years when the salary cap goes up over 30%

Masai keeping busy, very cool. He's going to fill the team with hard working defenders that can shoot, that's looking obvious.

barkleynash
07-06-2015, 08:50 AM
What would they do with the one million extra that they had if they got him for 6.5million. Nothing. They needed to fill that position and this guy has amazing character, defence, runs a team well is way younger than Vaz. To me it's a win/win.
He can keep lowry's minutes down so he can stay healthy. Plus lowry can swing over and play some shooting guard in 2 point guard lineups. The problem with lou and vaz is neither played D and they were both pretty selfish offensively. They were definately not a good fit. Ujiri figured he may as well get rid of them both. Personally, I want the culture to change, to one of more team oriented ball, strong defence and playing a bit faster. I think they have accomplished that with the draft pick and their 3 free agent signings.
cojo
Demarre
Biyombo
Wright
That's a pretty darn good summer with maybe a trade to bring in another power forward to top it off. 4 first round picks the next 2 years and hosting the all-star game. In two short years, Ujiri has done amazing things with this roster. Casey now gets some defensive type players and we will see what he can do with it.
Valunciunus must make huge strides this year. If they can make him more of a focal point, this team could really take off.

Sakkreth
07-06-2015, 08:54 AM
What would they do with the one million extra that they had if they got him for 6.5million. Nothing. They needed to fill that position and this guy has amazing character, defence, runs a team well is way younger than Vaz. To me it's a win/win.
He can keep lowry's minutes down so he can stay healthy. Plus lowry can swing over and play some shooting guard in 2 point guard lineups. The problem with lou and vaz is neither played D and they were both pretty selfish offensively. They were definately not a good fit. Ujiri figured he may as well get rid of them both. Personally, I want the culture to change, to one of more team oriented ball, strong defence and playing a bit faster. I think they have accomplished that with the draft pick and their 3 free agent signings.
cojo
Demarre
Biyombo
Wright
That's a pretty darn good summer with maybe a trade to bring in another power forward to top it off. 4 first round picks the next 2 years and hosting the all-star game. In two short years, Ujiri has done amazing things with this roster. Casey now gets some defensive type players and we will see what he can do with it.
Valunciunus must make huge strides this year. If they can make him more of a focal point, this team could really take off.

Good points, we need more defense and less iso shot jacking bs. Masai knows that clearly, hopefully he convinced Casey...

Velocirap31
07-06-2015, 09:17 AM
Val needs to get some attention from the coach. Casey runs zero plays for the guy and regularly plays him less than 25 minutes a game, whether he's in foul trouble or not. We can't expect the guy to take off if the team ignores him on offense despite him proving he can score well in the post.

Phenith
07-06-2015, 09:43 AM
I like plucking a nice young defensive guard from the Spurs system, and he's Canadian. Not sure if he has the ceiling to be a solid full time starter, but like others have been saying, he is a good defender, young, Canadian, and only making slightly more than general Grevious did for us last year... all in all, with the cap going up, this will probably be a good signing when we look back on it.
Grade for Raptors - B
Grade for Cory Joseph - A

Spurs5Rings2014
07-06-2015, 09:44 AM
LOL at Spurs.

2/7. Get ready for it, boy.

gasolina
07-06-2015, 09:48 AM
Val needs to get some attention from the coach. Casey runs zero plays for the guy and regularly plays him less than 25 minutes a game, whether he's in foul trouble or not. We can't expect the guy to take off if the team ignores him on offense despite him proving he can score well in the post.
His awful P&R defense with Ross might actually have to do with that. With Amir gone then I don't think Casey has a choice now.

Nastradamus
07-06-2015, 11:05 AM
Raptors are going all out on improving their perimeter D. Wright and Joseph is a huge upgrade on Williams and Vasquez(2 of the worst guard defenders in the league).

Plus landing Carroll at SF,who was also a defensive up grade. I think they try to trade Derozan for a PF maybe. Losing Amir did hurt.

Dbrog
07-06-2015, 02:21 PM
Now more minutes for the best Spur of the last decade: Tony Parker

:wtf: :lol

Mirror
07-06-2015, 04:02 PM
4 years at 30 million. Overpaid

Dang.

yeaaaman
07-06-2015, 05:43 PM
Like I said before, this description basically describes Delon Wright minus the championship pedigree. Why pick Wright and then sign Cory, when they are redundants ? This was the same problem with Lou and GV last year, they dominated the ball too much and didn't play much defense.

Cory has to become better from range if he's going to play off guard. I can't see him or Delon starting unless there's a trade in the works involving Lowry for a PF and I doubt that his happening at this point.

Fair enough, I just don't think it's bad to have Joseph as a proven backup on a championship team over a rookie who has never played an NBA game. I doubt they'll be redundant. We already know that Joseph can put pressure on the ball at a high level in the NBA.

I don't think Wright is going to walk in bringing the same things, at the same levels, to the backup position as Joseph does. Between backup and off ball minutes, I'm sure it will work fine. These guys (Ujiri and Casey) did way more scouting than either of us, I'm sure they have a game plan just have some faith. I think you may be pleasantly surprised.