PDA

View Full Version : Why is Cleveland overpaying for all of their role players?

JerrySeinfeld
07-06-2015, 03:39 PM
Shumpert, Varejao, Delly, potentially Tristan Thompson. none of these guys would get what they got/are getting on the open market.

Does Cleveland have no leverage or something? Players should want to play there, it's like a free trip to the finals every year, something that gets your name known to the casual fans/masses

In the past if you had 3 max contract guys it seems like basically the rest of your roster had to be minimum contract guys.

Cleveland about to have 4 max contract guys, 2 guys making 10M a year, and a few others in the 3-5M a year range :biggums:

atljonesbro
07-06-2015, 03:41 PM
The better question is how can they afford to pay all these players? It's out of hand, they even wanna trade for Joe johnsons contract.

dubeta
07-06-2015, 03:43 PM
This is what happens when you don't have a cheap Hick Owner that trades Harden for a bag of chips

JerrySeinfeld
07-06-2015, 03:44 PM
This is what happens when you don't have a cheap Hick Owner that trades Harden for a bag of chips

you overpay? Lol why does it have to be one or the other?

Spurs seem to be the model to follow, if any. Thunder are closer than that to Cleveland, you just can't try to replicate that model w/ Brooks as the Popovich

Bandito
07-06-2015, 03:45 PM
Do you miss your old team the Heat?

dubeta
07-06-2015, 03:46 PM
Do you miss your old team the Heat?

Nah man gotta move on

Laker fan for life :rockon:

kennethgriffin
07-06-2015, 03:46 PM
they have 80 million dollars invested into 4 guys

lebron 25
thompson 20
love 20
kyrie 15

the cap is 67 million for god sake

they basically have that with just lebron/triastan/love at 65 million

JerrySeinfeld
07-06-2015, 03:47 PM
The better question is how can they afford to pay all these players? It's out of hand, they even wanna trade for Joe johnsons contract.

I'll never get used to or approve this level of stacking the deck, especially considering how depleted and weak the East already is. Why the hell do they need Joe Johnson as well, especially at 20M or whatever it is for next year?

JerrySeinfeld
07-06-2015, 03:50 PM

lebron 25
thompson 20
love 20
kyrie 15

They are becoming the Yankees of the NBA lol

Foster5k
07-06-2015, 03:56 PM
Dan Gilbert reminds me of Mark Cuban before Cuban won the championship. Cuban was willing to do whatever it took to get that trophy. Gilbert has all his guns blazing. He's a man on a mission. He will not stop until Cleveland gets that trophy. I'm starting to like this guy.

Mirror
07-06-2015, 03:58 PM
Delly was actually re-signed cheap.

JerrySeinfeld
07-06-2015, 04:00 PM
Dan Gilbert reminds me of Mark Cuban before Cuban won the championship. Cuban was willing to do whatever it took to get that trophy. Gilbert has all his guns blazing. He's a man on a mission. He will not stop until Cleveland gets that trophy. I'm starting to like this guy.

I get that, but why do they have to overpay?

For a team that's basically a lock to reach the finals you'd think guys would take less to play there if anything, instead guys are getting overpaid like Cleveland is a lottery team

Bandito
07-06-2015, 04:01 PM
Nah man gotta move on

Laker fan for life :rockon:
:rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

My *****,..

PickernRoller
07-06-2015, 04:06 PM
A LeTard put it simply:

"Lebron is making sure he gets the help he needs...."..:lol :lol :oldlol: :roll: :facepalm :facepalm :oldlol: :lol :facepalm

Meticode
07-06-2015, 04:20 PM
They are overpaying for these players because if they let these players walk, the Cavaliers simply don't have open cap space to use on someone else. You either overpay them to keep the core together or let them walk, basically don't open up your cap space and sign a bunch of worse players for the minimum or way less money.

They can afford to do this because owner Dan Gilbert has said numerous times he doesn't care about spending the money. He will do it to keep the team competing.

JerrySeinfeld
07-06-2015, 04:22 PM
A LeTard put it simply:

"Lebron is making sure he gets the help he needs...."..:lol :lol :oldlol: :roll: :facepalm :facepalm :oldlol: :lol :facepalm

If the reports about him refusing to talk to Cleveland's management until they sign Thompson are true, then he's a bitch.

Think of winners like Duncan and how he got along with the Spurs FO all those years to win 5 rings. It wasn't by holding them hostage until they gave into all of his demands.

But hey, that's the reason that LeBron is 2/6 and other greats aren't. It's also the reason I can't help but roll my eyes everytime I see ESPN or any sports media website do their bullshit "LeBron would get X amount of dollars with no salary cap" evaluation every year or whenever they promote the idea than no team in the league would say no to LeBron.

I strongly doubt every front office would put up with that. If Cleveland was smart from the get go they would have held him to his word of developing the young core and they'd still be sitting with Wiggins, and more cap room for TT with less of a luxury tax fine. Even considering that they didn't, they should still DARE LeBron to leave Cleveland. His legacy would go even lower than people thought was humanly possible if he bailed on Cleveland again.

Droid101
07-06-2015, 04:23 PM
branny will cry if they don't.

comerb
07-06-2015, 04:33 PM

Gilbert is worth 5 billion, he can afford it. If he doesn't pay them, it's not like he's freeing up money for other players, he'll be constrained by the cap regardless. The prestige, legacy, and power that would be gained from being the owner that finally brought a championship to Cleveland? It's a pretty smart gamble with a massive payoff.

Hey Yo
07-06-2015, 04:46 PM
A LeTard put it simply:

Quote from Mitch when talking about new luxury tax penalties (which would start the following season) when he already had Nash, Pau. Kobe and Dwight on the roster.

"My feeling is that we'll continue to pursue the top players in the league. There will always be an emphasis on having the franchise be able to survive and prosper."

Hey Yo
07-06-2015, 04:48 PM
If the reports about him refusing to talk to Cleveland's management until they sign Thompson are true, then he's a bitch.

Think of winners like Duncan and how he got along with the Spurs FO all those years to win 5 rings. It wasn't by holding them hostage until they gave into all of his demands.

But hey, that's the reason that LeBron is 2/6 and other greats aren't. It's also the reason I can't help but roll my eyes everytime I see ESPN or any sports media website do their bullshit "LeBron would get X amount of dollars with no salary cap" evaluation every year or whenever they promote the idea than no team in the league would say no to LeBron.

I strongly doubt every front office would put up with that. If Cleveland was smart from the get go they would have held him to his word of developing the young core and they'd still be sitting with Wiggins, and more cap room for TT with less of a luxury tax fine. Even considering that they didn't, they should still DARE LeBron to leave Cleveland. His legacy would go even lower than people thought was humanly possible if he bailed on Cleveland again.
links?....thanks

JerrySeinfeld
07-06-2015, 04:50 PM
links?....thanks

There are multiple places posting about it, here's one link

http://www.businessinsider.com/report-lebron-wont-re-sign-with-cavs-until-thompson-deal-2015-7

comerb
07-06-2015, 04:52 PM

After what Gilbert pulled with his letter, I'd make sure that shithead paid every god damn dime I could squeeze out of him.

WolfGang
07-06-2015, 04:54 PM

I don't understand this way of thinking. If you are a scrub, then a team will trade your ass in a second. Where is the loyalty there? Good players can dictate how things play out. That's just the way it goes.

Hey Yo
07-06-2015, 04:58 PM
There are multiple places posting about it, here's one link

http://www.businessinsider.com/report-lebron-wont-re-sign-with-cavs-until-thompson-deal-2015-7
Interesting........thanks again.

oh the horror
07-06-2015, 04:59 PM
I don't understand this way of thinking. If you are a scrub, then a team will trade your ass in a second. Where is the loyalty there? Good players can dictate how things play out. That's just the way it goes.

And yet that shit doesn't fly in San Antonio that has had more success all around.

That can't be a coincidence.

midatlantic09
07-06-2015, 05:00 PM

lebron 25
thompson 20
love 20
kyrie 15

Absolutely hilarious...he's worth maybe half of that. You're not supposed to pay hustle/energy guys 20 mil a yr.

NumberSix
07-06-2015, 05:01 PM
Christian Johnson, wind defenders apparently turned down $20 million per year for 4 years....... :roll:

Who does this guy think he is?

midatlantic09
07-06-2015, 05:05 PM
Christian Johnson, wind defenders apparently turned down $20 million per year for 4 years....... :roll:

Is he in the NBA?

oh the horror
07-06-2015, 05:06 PM

What?

zizozain
07-06-2015, 05:13 PM
Money Laundering.

and it's not only Cleveland.

raprap
07-06-2015, 05:39 PM
Meticode already answered OPs question and OP continues to ignore his post to push his agenda. What a great troll. :applause: :oldlol:

Funktion
07-06-2015, 05:56 PM
Spurs taking pay cuts and discounts while Bran and Co. ask for more.

Bernkastel
07-06-2015, 06:42 PM
LeGM. The Billy King of players.

WolfGang
07-06-2015, 06:54 PM
Spurs taking pay cuts and discounts while Bran and Co. ask for more.

The Spurs are fossils. They don't want the money like the younger Cav players do. There are a lot of different factors. I do agree that Thompson is a 4 year 20 mil player at best.

JerrySeinfeld
07-06-2015, 09:10 PM
Meticode already answered OPs question and OP continues to ignore his post to push his agenda. What a great troll. :applause: :oldlol:

No he didn't.

He said that they were overpaying because they didn't want their players to walk, because of the obvious knowledge that you can't just go way over the tax signing free agents from other teams like you can signing your own free agents.

But that explanation didn't really answer my question. Why do they have to overpay, regardless of that situation? Players should WANT to play on a team that has a guaranteed trip to the finals every year for the foreseeable future. That alone should deter these players from wanting to go take LESS or the same money for some shit franchise like the Bucks, 76ers, Kings, whoever.

David West just turned down 12M for the Pacers to go play for the Spurs for like 1M, a team who most people would consider at best to have like a 50% chance to make it to the Finals while Cleveland has a 50% chance at the absolute worst. So why on earth is Cleveland shelling out 10M to guys like Varejao and Shumpert when they already have 3 max contract guys, and have another guy who wants the max.

There's a difference between an owner doing whatever it takes to win and being stupid. (Just like there is a difference between Wiggins and Love) Cleveland were the favorites to win it all last year and will be next year simply because the better teams in the West cancel eachother out when it comes to odds. Cleveland are basically the favorites to win it all every year for the next few years unless the playoff system gets reformatted. A team like that should not be overpaying role players just to stay when their value is even less on the open market.