PDA

View Full Version : Western Conference teams the Spurs have beat in the playoffs during Duncan era

Purch
07-08-2015, 10:41 AM
1998' Phoenix Suns
1999' Minnesota Timberwolves
1999' Los Angelas Lakers
1999' Portland Trailblazers
2001' Dallas Mavericks
2001' Minnesota Timberwolves
2002' Seattle Supersonics
2003' Phoenix Suns
2003' Los Angeles Lakers
2003' Dallas Mavericks
2004' Memphis Grizzlies
2005' Denver Nuggets
2005' Seattle Supersonics
2005' Phoenix Suns
2006' Sacramento Kings
2007' Denver Nuggets
2007' Phoenix Suns
2007' Utah Jazz
2008' Phoenix Suns
2008' New Orleans Hornets
2010' Dallas Mavericks
2012' Utah Jazz
2012' Los Angelas Clippers
2013' Los Angelas Lakers
2013' Golden State Warriors
2013' Memphis Grizzlies
2014' Dallas Mavericks
2014' Portland Trailblzaers
2014' Oklahoma City Thunder

The Duncan era spurs have beaten every franchise in the Western conference in a post season series, except the Houston Rockets. That's insane. They've even claimed wins over both Seattle and Oklahoma city in playoff series.

It's insane to me, because when I look at this list, you really get a picture of how many cores have started and broken up over the Duncan era. See how many teams on this list were once considered "teams of the future" or "contenders'. It's amazing that the spurs kept it together this long.

Derka
07-08-2015, 10:43 AM
Dat dynasty :bowdown:

Fallen Angel
07-08-2015, 10:45 AM
http://i.gyazo.com/602424af6446e60a5f0b443e6e1aa211.png

tamaraw08
07-08-2015, 10:52 AM
Dat dynasty :bowdown:

Spurs is a great team but they are not perfect. Failed to go back to back FIVE TIMES.
Last year, lost first round to the Clips.
4 yrs ago, lost to OKC after leading the series.
2011, lost to Memphis first round
2010, swept by Suns in West semis
2009, Lost to Dallas first round.

Purch
07-08-2015, 10:52 AM
I get a feeling we're gonna see a San Antonio- Houston playoff series this year

BlakFrankWhite
07-08-2015, 10:53 AM
Top 3 all time

Mirror
07-08-2015, 10:53 AM
I get a feeling we're gonna see a San Antonio- Houston playoff series this year

With Spurs coming out on top.

KelticForce1349
07-08-2015, 10:58 AM
Spurs is a great team but they are not perfect. Failed to go back to back FIVE TIMES.

Not perfect...but how about pretty freaking amazing?

Purch
07-08-2015, 10:59 AM

You can add .4, The Manu Foul against Dallas, and the 2013 finals

Definitly not perfect. One of the consequences of being in the playoffs 17 years, is that you're gonna have a lot of failures. Coaches always talk about just how important luck is to winning a championship... A lot of things have to go your way

West-Side
07-08-2015, 11:02 AM
It's not really a testament to the "Duncan" era; it's a testament to the organization. They have done an outstanding job at drafting talent, signing the right pieces and coaching them.

So, I'm giving full credit to their front office and Gregg Popovich.

West-Side
07-08-2015, 11:07 AM
You can add .4, The Manu Foul against Dallas, and the 2013 finals

Definitly not perfect. One of the consequences of being in the playoffs 17 years, is that you're gonna have a lot of failures. Coaches always talk about just how important luck is to winning a championship... A lot of things have to go your way

I have never understood the .4 excuse!
Duncan's prayer was ANSWERED too, prior.
LA were winning the game until Duncan made a ridiculous shot; it was a complete fluke. It hit off the damn back board. I don't even know how he got it off.

So please; don't act like the Fisher shot was the only lucky shot in those last 5 seconds. :rolleyes:

In 2013, Miami was lucky but SA still LOST in over time.
Manu foul was bad, but it wasn't the NBA finals so it's not like they were robbed of a title in that series. They got screwed from reaching the NBA finals, sure.

toxicxr6
07-08-2015, 11:09 AM
It's not really a testament to the "Duncan" era; it's a testament to the organization. They have done an outstanding job at drafting talent, signing the right pieces and coaching them.

So it's a coincidence that this all starts when Duncan was drafted? How were the Spurs doing before they drafted Duncan?
You dam laker fans salty as hell..
Spurs just keep on competing no matter what while the lakers sit in the lottery

Duncan is top 5 gtfo

DMAVS41
07-08-2015, 11:11 AM

While the Spurs have been amazing, Duncan has been the driving force behind it on and off the court in a way very few, if any, players have ever been in NBA history.

Put it this way...if Duncan gets drafted by the Celtics. There is a much better chance there is a post like this about the Celtics then there is about how great of an organization the Spurs have been.

Duncan is the most important factor here....easily.

toxicxr6
07-08-2015, 11:11 AM
LA were winning the game until Duncan made a ridiculous shot; it was a complete fluke. It hit off the damn back board. I don't even know how he got it off.

So please; don't act like the Fisher shot was the only lucky shot in those last 5 seconds. :rolleyes:

Manu foul was bad, but it wasn't the NBA finals so it's not like they were robbed of a title in that series. They got screwed from reaching the NBA finals, sure.

So you think Duncan hitting a jumper with plenty of time to set up a play is the same as fisher just throwing the ball up as soon as he catches it..
:facepalm :facepalm :facepalm

West-Side
07-08-2015, 11:14 AM
So you think Duncan hitting a jumper with plenty of time to set up a play is the same as fisher just throwing the ball up as soon as he catches it..
:facepalm :facepalm :facepalm

Go watch those last 5 seconds again.
Duncan took a HORRIBLE shot and got lucky.

Fisher took a brilliant shot and got lucky.

Nuff Said
07-08-2015, 11:16 AM
How many teams have actually managed to repeat? Is it a feat that all great teams accomplish of it is a really exclusive club?

West-Side
07-08-2015, 11:17 AM
So it's a coincidence that this all starts when Duncan was drafted? How were the Spurs doing before they drafted Duncan?
You dam laker fans salty as hell..
Spurs just keep on competing no matter what while the lakers sit in the lottery

Duncan is top 5 gtfo

Yeah they stayed competitive because they kept getting the right pieces around Duncan. :oldlol:

Getting Manu, Parker, Leonard.
Those were their RECRUITERS doing a good job. Than they'll sign some journey man and turn them into central role players on the team; mostly because of how great Pop is as a coach.

Why you think the Patriots are so good? Because of Tom Brady? Sure.
But BB and their ability to scout talent is also a huge part of why they sustained their dominance for so long.

But yeah lets give every credit to Duncan, as ****ing usual.
The man has played 30 MPG last 4/5 years and SA are still winning 50 games every season.

Just shut up people.

DMAVS41
07-08-2015, 11:25 AM
Yeah they stayed competitive because they kept getting the right pieces around Duncan. :oldlol:

Getting Manu, Parker, Leonard.
Those were their RECRUITERS doing a good job. Than they'll sign some journey man and turn them into central role players on the team; mostly because of how great Pop is as a coach.

Why you think the Patriots are so good? Because of Tom Brady? Sure.
But BB and their ability to scout talent is also a huge part of why they sustained their dominance for so long.

But yeah lets give every credit to Duncan, as ****ing usual.
The man has played 30 MPG last 4/5 years and SA are still winning 50 games every season.

Just shut up people.

You seem to create a lot of straw men in your arguments.

Lets give "every credit" to Duncan? Nah...I don't see anyone saying that...just that Duncan was the driving force behind it all.

Like I said before, if Duncan goes to the Celtics in 98...there is a very good chance you are sitting here talking about how great the Celtics have been around Duncan....and pretty much a 0% chance talking about what a great organization the Spurs are.

Doesn't mean the Spurs haven't been amazing, they have, it's just that Duncan has been more important.

Tell me what you refute here.

Please no straw men.....

hawke812
07-08-2015, 11:27 AM
Duncan just lucked out on a great organization. He isn't that good:confusedshrug:

PsychoBe
07-08-2015, 11:32 AM

Lets give "every credit" to Duncan? Nah...I don't see anyone saying that...just that Duncan was the driving force behind it all.

Like I said before, if Duncan goes to the Celtics in 98...there is a very good chance you are sitting here talking about how great the Celtics have been around Duncan....and pretty much a 0% chance talking about what a great organization the Spurs are.

Doesn't mean the Spurs haven't been amazing, they have, it's just that Duncan has been more important.

Please no straw men.....

stop the hypotheticals. if kobe gets bashed for having had the pleasure of playing and maturing alongside shaq just because he wanted to play for the lakers, then duncan should get bashed for having an all-time great and legendary franchise consistently carry him for over 15 years.

you can't have your cake and eat it too. kobe had a 2-3 year stretch where his team had no business doing anything and he still won more titles in the 2000's than duncan did, who was competing every single year. that's just a factoid.

West-Side
07-08-2015, 11:32 AM

Please no straw men.....

Uhm, I'd give more credit to the FO and Pop than I would Duncan for sustaining their winning ways over the last 17 years. It's the same FO that drafted Tim Duncan. The fact that this team are still contending for titles despite Duncan's age and role within the team dynamics, simply verifies my sentiment.

I mean; SA were 60+ win team not too long ago. I could barely even notice Duncan on the floor. He seemed like an average role player. Of course, he became instrumental in the playoffs for them; but my point is clear, SA's terrific run of 50+ win seasons (for nearly two decades) is in much larger part because of their ability to recruit, draft, sign and coach their rosters.

Of course Duncan is a big part of it; but they wouldn't have sustained the winning tradition if they didn't consistently re-group their roster with the right talent.

It's not my fault people like you seem to think this man is god.
Sure he's a legend, a top 10 player but he's also been very fortunate to play for Gregg Popovich and the Spurs organization; just like they were very fortunate to draft him.

It's a two-way street, don't make everything seem like it's all Duncan.

Purch
07-08-2015, 11:35 AM
Uhm, I'd give more credit to the FO and Pop than I would Duncan for sustaining their winning ways over the last 17 years. It's the same FO that drafted Tim Duncan. The fact that this team are still contending for titles despite Duncan's age and role within the team dynamics, simply verifies my sentiment.

I mean; SA were 60+ win team not too long ago. I could barely even notice Duncan on the floor. He seemed like an average role player. Of course, he became instrumental in the playoffs for them; but my point is clear, SA's terrific run of 50+ win seasons (for nearly two decades) is in much larger part because of their ability to recruit, draft, sign and coach their rosters.

Of course Duncan is a big part of it; but they wouldn't have sustained the winning tradition if they didn't consistently re-group their roster with the right talent.

Sure he's a legend, a top 10 player but he's also been very fortunate to play for Gregg Popovich and the Spurs organization; just like they were very fortunate to draft him.

You do realize that In the season you're referring to... Duncan was 1st team nba?

West-Side
07-08-2015, 11:37 AM
You do realize that In the season you're referring to... Duncan was 1st team nba?

Because there's soooooo much competition out there at the center spot, right?

DMAVS41
07-08-2015, 11:37 AM

So in a post that I call the Spurs front office "amazing"...you feel that the bold is an appropriate response?

You have some decent ideas about the game and how there should balance in credit to players and circumstances...etc....that I agree with.

But you tend to create straw men constantly and you also seem incapable to address the points of other posters.

You also just under-rate Duncan's value on the court pretty largely it seems.

Side note...don't give credit to the Spurs for drafting Duncan. Every single team in the league would have taken him first.

So I'll try this again.

If Duncan had been drafted by the Celtics. Do you think there is a better chance you'd be saying this about the Celtics right now than the Spurs organization? Please answer.

Purch
07-08-2015, 11:39 AM

What are you talking about. I was just referencing moments in which the Spurs failed to win. To reinforce that they weren't perfect,

No one ever said .4 was lucky, the Manu foul was lucky or game 6 was lucky.

I said that it takes luck and opportunity to win championships. You somehow combined two independent points of my post, to make an imaginary point, to then argue against it. Thats the definition of a strawman

Purch
07-08-2015, 11:40 AM
Cousins, Marc, Dwight? All 3 are stars, so why wouldn't they win it over a role player?

Derka
07-08-2015, 11:43 AM

If we're requiring perfection out of our dynasties, there will never be dynasties.

DMAVS41
07-08-2015, 11:44 AM

Again...I don't say this to attack you, but you really need to go back and so some work on just how good Duncan has been as a player.

He had as good a run as just about any player outside a select few, if that, from 1998 through 2007. He was a two way monster that could play any style and fit in with just about any team.

And as he's aged...he's remained one of the most valuable players in the game into his last 30's....

His durability and longevity, for example, blow Kobe's out of the water at this point. Please educate yourself.

West-Side
07-08-2015, 11:45 AM
[/B]

So in a post that I call the Spurs front office "amazing"...you feel that the bold is an appropriate response?

You have some decent ideas about the game and how there should balance in credit to players and circumstances...etc....that I agree with.

But you tend to create straw men constantly and you also seem incapable to address the points of other posters.

You also just under-rate Duncan's value on the court pretty largely it seems.

Side note...don't give credit to the Spurs for drafting Duncan. Every single team in the league would have taken him first.

So I'll try this again.

If Duncan had been drafted by the Celtics. Do you think there is a better chance you'd be saying this about the Celtics right now than the Spurs organization? Please answer.

They obviously wouldn't have as much success.
But what you're not getting; it's simply not clicking into your damn brain is this:

The continuous success of SA over the last 17 years has in large been because of their front office and their coaching staff. I'm sorry, Duncan has been in large part a very important role player the last five or six years now. The lack of competition in the C/PF roles these days makes it easy for YOU to make Duncan seem better than he truly is.

Ignore Duncan for a second.
Who else did SA get.
Possible future HOF'ers in Parker & Manu?
Now ask yourself, when were they drafted?
What pick did SA use on Leonard? Now ask yourself, what has he achieved in this league so far? Finals MVP and DPOTY?

Right?

Yeah.
It's frustrating watching you call me ignorant for the last two days, and saying how I don't "understand" other posters view, when on THIS forum; every time I get in a conversation, it's with trolls or people who are extremely condescending (you).

Try to understand what I am saying here; it's YOU that's changing the focus of the argument.

Your argument "Oh well, because they drafted Duncan they were so good for so long."

Mine Argument "JUST Duncan, wouldn't have given SA all this success they've sustained throughout almost TWO decades. Over this time period; they had to RE-GROUP via the draft, free agency and in some instances, trades. It is because of Pop's X&Os and management skills plus a fantastic front office, with great scouting skills; that Duncan has had the LUXURY of always having a team around him that will HELP him compete for a championship.

Derka
07-08-2015, 11:47 AM
While the Spurs have been amazing, Duncan has been the driving force behind it on and off the court in a way very few, if any, players have ever been in NBA history.

Put it this way...if Duncan gets drafted by the Celtics. There is a much better chance there is a post like this about the Celtics then there is about how great of an organization the Spurs have been.

Duncan is the most important factor here....easily.

I dunno about that, man. Duncan would have been drafted on to the Rick Pitino Celtics. The things Rick Pitino did took f*cking forever to recover from; almost like he made it a point to make the wrong decision at every possible turn. I'm not sure having a young Duncan around would have made that environment any better and I question whether Duncan would have stuck around.

I agree that Duncan is a huge reason why the Spurs organization became what it is now, but that front office and that ownership in San Antonio played a huuuuge role in it too.

West-Side
07-08-2015, 11:49 AM
Cousins, Marc, Dwight? All 3 are stars, so why wouldn't they win it over a role player?

They wouldn't sniff an all-star spot in the early 2000's or 90's.
Thanks for proving my point.

DMAVS41
07-08-2015, 11:51 AM
They obviously wouldn't have as much success.
But what you're not getting; it's simply not clicking into your damn brain is this:

The continuous success of SA over the last 17 years has in large been because of their front office and their coaching staff. I'm sorry, Duncan has been in large part a very important role player the last five or six years now. The lack of competition in the C/PF roles these days makes it easy for YOU to make Duncan seem better than he truly is.

Ignore Duncan for a second.
Who else did SA get.
Possible future HOF'ers in Parker & Manu?
No ask yourself, when were they drafted?
What pick did SA use on Leonard? Now ask yourself, what has he achieved in this league so far? Finals MVP and DPOTY?

Right?

Yeah.
It's frustrating watching you call me ignorant for the last two days, and saying how I don't "understand" other posters view, when on THIS forum; every time I get in a conversation, it's with trolls or people who are extremely condescending (you).

Try to understand what I am saying here; it's YOU that's changing the focus of the argument.

Your argument "Oh well, because they drafted Duncan they were so good for so long."

Mine Argument "JUST Duncan, wouldn't have given SA all this success they've sustained throughout almost TWO decades. Over this time period; they had to RE-GROUP via the draft, free agency and in some instances, trades. It is because of Pop's X&Os and management skills plus a fantastic front office, with great scouting skills; that Duncan has had the LUXURY of always having a team around him that will HELP him compete for a championship.

I'm going to try this one last time.

The Spurs front office has been amazing and absolutely critical to the success Duncan has had throughout his career.

What I'm saying is that Duncan himself has been more critical.

Without Duncan...it can't happen.

Without the Spurs? It could happen. Another franchise could have put great teams around Duncan as well.

I think most likely another franchise doesn't sustain it as long, but I also think other franchises would have had a better chance giving Duncan more early on in his career....and perhaps giving him a true 2nd superstar for most of his prime.

But alas...you continue to not respond to actual points being made.

And please educate yourself on Duncan...he's way better than you are giving him credit for....even in his old age.

West-Side
07-08-2015, 11:51 AM
Again...I don't say this to attack you, but you really need to go back and so some work on just how good Duncan has been as a player.

He had as good a run as just about any player outside a select few, if that, from 1998 through 2007. He was a two way monster that could play any style and fit in with just about any team.

And as he's aged...he's remained one of the most valuable players in the game into his last 30's....

His durability and longevity, for example, blow Kobe's out of the water at this point. Please educate yourself.

Yeah, and the only reason he's had that opportunity is because of his front office and coach. You think 17/10/3 on 50% is an MVP candidate? :roll:

No he was an MVP candidate because San Antonio were a great team and historically; the best players from great teams win MVP's. Just like Steph Curry won it last year. That year, Parker was the #1 MVP before his injury. That year, he still finished ahead of Duncan.

tpols
07-08-2015, 11:53 AM
I dunno about that, man. Duncan would have been drafted on to the Rick Pitino Celtics. The things Rick Pitino did took f*cking forever to recover from; almost like he made it a point to make the wrong decision at every possible turn. I'm not sure having a young Duncan around would have made that environment any better and I question whether Duncan would have stuck around.

I agree that Duncan is a huge reason why the Spurs organization became what it is now, but that front office and that ownership in San Antonio played a huuuuge role in it too.

Not only that.. but why use the Celtics as the example? There one of the best franchises in the history of basketball lol..

If you're gonna use some hypothetical of Duncan being able tor transform FOs at least use mediocre to shitty one. Like if Duncan was on the twolves there'd be absolutely no transformation at all. And the Celtics had no problem building championship contenders without duncan already

West-Side
07-08-2015, 11:54 AM
I'm going to try this one last time.

The Spurs front office has been amazing and absolutely critical to the success Duncan has had throughout his career.

What I'm saying is that Duncan himself has been more critical.

Without Duncan...it can't happen.

Without the Spurs? It could happen. Another franchise could have put great teams around Duncan as well.

I think most likely another franchise doesn't sustain it as long, but I also think other franchises would have had a better chance giving Duncan more early on in his career....and perhaps giving him a true 2nd superstar for most of his prime.

But alas...you continue to not respond to actual points being made.

And please educate yourself on Duncan...he's way better than you are giving him credit for....even in his old age.

Pure assumptions on your part.
This conversation with you is absolutely pointless.

So you're saying AFTER 17 years of putting together a contender; the front office couldn't ****ing take Duncan's salary and use it on another good big man, for example Howard or LMA?

And then sign, draft and trade for players that compliment THEIR strenghts?
Bullshit buddy. Your entire argument consists of pure assumptions; my argument has actual facts.

THE SPURS HAVE WON 50+ GAMES EVERY SEASON SINCE 99' BECAUSE THEIR FRONT OFFICE CONSISTENTLY PUT A WINNING PRODUCT ON THE BASKETBALL COURT; even after Duncan's clear decline from superstar status.

DMAVS41
07-08-2015, 11:56 AM

Sigh....find me anywhere in this thread where I say something that contradicts the bold.

But you guys are under-rating how easy it is to build around a guy like Duncan.

Take Dirk for example...a player clearly worse than Duncan...a player harder to build around.

The Mavs built flawed teams with poor coaching and styles...with no legit 2nd star....for pretty much Dirk's entire career. They build some pretty good teams as well, but absolutely nothing the Mavs did around Dirk was special. The Mavs performed, at best, as well as an average front office would do around a player like Dirk for his career.

And look at the results. 11 straight 50 win seasons? Making the playoffs 14 of the last 15 years.

You put a guy like Duncan on a team...and you are getting 50 or more wins...even in the loaded West...pretty much every single year unless you have a shit team. You guys need to grasp that.

ninephive
07-08-2015, 11:57 AM

What shot are you talking about? Backboard? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSnAvhvfniw

PsychoBe

So you're saying AFTER 17 years of putting together a contender; the front office couldn't ****ing take Duncan's salary and use it on another good big man, for example Howard or LMA?

Bullshit buddy. Your entire argument consists of pure assumptions; my argument has actual facts.

THE SPURS HAVE WON 50+ GAMES EVERY SEASON SINCE 99' BECAUSE THEIR FRONT OFFICE CONSISTENTLY PUT A WINNING PRODUCT ON THE BASKETBALL; even after Duncan's clear decline from a superstar player.

ignore him he uses duncan as a means to discredit kobe and the lakers since he knows that his lover dirk doesn't come close to either of them.

next he's gonna say "shaq carried kobe" or "put duncan with shaq and they win 5 straight" :roll: :roll: :roll:

DMAVS41

THE SPURS HAVE WON 50+ GAMES EVERY SEASON SINCE 99' BECAUSE THEIR FRONT OFFICE CONSISTENTLY PUT A WINNING PRODUCT ON THE BASKETBALL COURT; even after Duncan's clear decline from superstar status.

It's pointless because you under-rate the shit out of Duncan. Howard or LMA don't hold a ****ing candle to Duncan....:facepalm :facepalm :facepalm :facepalm

Facts? You have none of the sort. If you actually evaluated Duncan properly....you'd have to come off your view.

Tell me how the Mavs are responsible for Dirk's success. Tell me how building flawed teams with shit coaching half his career was the driving force behind Dirk.

You want facts? It's easy to win 50 games when you have elite all time great players...even in the West.

DMAVS41
07-08-2015, 11:58 AM
Not only that.. but why use the Celtics as the example? There one of the best franchises in the history of basketball lol..

If you're gonna use some hypothetical of Duncan being able tor transform FOs at least use mediocre to shitty one. Like if Duncan was on the twolves there'd be absolutely no transformation at all. And the Celtics had no problem building championship contenders without duncan already

I know you weren't around back then, but the Celtics had a better chance to get Duncan in the draft than the Spurs.

It's just an example of a franchise that could have recreated this success.

Would they have? No idea....

But are you saying that it's easier to replace Duncan than it is the Spurs? Because that must be the claim if you disagree with me.

And just no...Duncan is absolutely the more irreplaceable part of this equation.

ninephive
07-08-2015, 11:59 AM
Add to that the Spurs have a winning record over every single team in NBA history and that gets even more impressive.

West-Side
07-08-2015, 12:00 PM
What shot are you talking about? Backboard? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSnAvhvfniw

I thought it was off the board, it's been a long time since.
It's still one of the flukiest shots ever made.

Duncan hardly ever attempts perimeter shots without having his feet set; and when he does, it's a bank from the corner of the court.

He shot it in desperation with the clock winding down; he knew he had no time to pass and got lucky.

You seriously going to tell me, it wasn't luck?
If Kobe made that shot, maybe it wouldn't be lucky since he's made these rediculous shots so much in his career but Duncan isn't known to make these 20 foot fade away jumpers over 7 footers.

tpols
07-08-2015, 12:03 PM

THE SPURS HAVE WON 50+ GAMES EVERY SEASON SINCE 99' BECAUSE THEIR FRONT OFFICE CONSISTENTLY PUT A WINNING PRODUCT ON THE BASKETBALL; even after Duncan's clear decline from a superstar player.

Yup its purely circumstance that Duncan is getting all the credit. If David robinson and td switched places and robinson had manu and parker and pop and kawhi in the non jordan era, and duncan had Sean elliot and Avery johson and whatever average coach in the 90s their career rankings would switch.. maybe robinson only wins 4 titles.. but he's winning a bunch with what support he would've had.

Both are insane talents and deserve credit for their rings but saying that Duncan made the decision makers in the fo such expert scouters and developers and planners.. did duncan make Danny green from d league to damn near fmvp? Did duncan scout and evelop kawhi? Was duncan the engine behind the Spurs insane offense?

West-Side
07-08-2015, 12:04 PM
It's pointless because you under-rate the shit out of Duncan. Howard or LMA don't hold a ****ing candle to Duncan....:facepalm :facepalm :facepalm :facepalm

Facts? You have none of the sort. If you actually evaluated Duncan properly....you'd have to come off your view.

Tell me how the Mavs are responsible for Dirk's success. Tell me how building flawed teams with shit coaching half his career was the driving force behind Dirk.

You want facts? It's easy to win 50 games when you have elite all time great players...even in the West.

SA won 60+ games with Duncan being a role player on his team in the regular season. Played less minutes than LMA & Dwight did that year; and lower all around stats, as a result. Heck, Parker even got hurt that year.

Result? 60+ wins for SA. :oldlol:
I guess they didn't really need his "elite" presence that year, huh?
Or maybe just maybe; as great as he is, you're overrating him a lot more than I'm "underrating" him.

DMAVS41
07-08-2015, 12:04 PM
Yup its purely circumstance that Duncan is getting all the credit. If David robinson and td switched places and robinson had manu and parker and pop and kawhi in the non jordan era, and duncan had Sean elliot and Avery johson and whatever average scrub coach their career rankings would switch.. maybe robinson only wins 4 titles.. but he's winning a bunch with what support he would've had.

Both are insane talents and deserve credit for their rings but saying that Duncan made these guys such expert developers.. did duncan make Danny green from d league to damn near fmvp? Did duncan scout and evelop kawhi? Was duncan the engine behind the Spurs insane offense?

Straw man.

It's truly amazing how incapable of debate you guys are.

Please find a post in which I said Duncan deserves "all" the credit.

DMAVS41
07-08-2015, 12:06 PM
SA won 60+ games with Duncan being a role player on his team in the regular season. Played less minutes than LMA & Dwight did that year; and lower all around stats, as a result. Heck, Parker even got hurt that year.

Result? 60+ wins for SA. :oldlol:
I guess they didn't really need his "elite" presence that year, huh?
Or maybe just maybe; as great as he is, you're overrating him a lot more than I'm "underrating" him.

I'm talking about them overall as players over the long haul you clown....this isn't about one single year.

It's about being able to have the success the Spurs have had since 1998.

Why are you focusing only on certain years?

Once again you create a false narrative in your argument.

West-Side
07-08-2015, 12:07 PM
Straw man.

I'm waving the white flag but I'm so in love with Duncan and so stubborn, that I simply can't respect or hear anyone else's opinion on this message board.

Fixed.

West-Side
07-08-2015, 12:07 PM
I'm talking about them overall as players over the long haul you clown....this isn't about one single year.

It's about being able to have the success the Spurs have had since 1998.

Why are you focusing only on certain years?

Once again you create a false narrative in your argument.

Stay mad, bitch.
You're a waste of time.

DMAVS41
07-08-2015, 12:09 PM
Fixed.

Do you really want to get roasted like you did yesterday?

At least fight a fair fight....actually address my points and argue with me...and not the ghost you've created.

It's just embarrassing at this point.

I'll ask again....who has the better chance of recreating the last 17 years.

A different franchise with Duncan....or the Spurs without Duncan? Please answer.

And after that....tell me how the Mavs making the playoffs 14 of the last 15 years and winning over 50 11 straight times (only been done like 3 other times in NBA history) is the result of the brilliant front office Mavs.

DMAVS41
07-08-2015, 12:10 PM
Stay mad, bitch.
You're a waste of time.

Notice how your posts increasingly fail to have actual arguments in them and never address points.

This is what you did yesterday in that thread.

tpols
07-08-2015, 12:12 PM
Straw man.

It's truly amazing how incapable of debate you guys are.

Please find a post in which I said Duncan deserves "all" the credit.

You said duncan should get the majority of the credit for the super teams the Spurs have formed.

Just.. no. Their front office and coaching staff developing guys like kawhi and green, swinging deals for perfect fits like diaw and in general turning guys that were in big career slumps into competitors and winners.. that's everybody working together. Not majority duncan. That's the best fo in basketball.

DMAVS41
07-08-2015, 12:13 PM
You said duncan should get the majority of the credit for the super teams the Spurs have formed.

Just.. no. Their front office and coaching staff developing guys like kawhi and green, swinging deals for perfect fits like diaw and in general turning guys that were in big career slumps into competitors and winners.. that's everybody working together. Not majority duncan. That's the best fo in basketball.

I said he's more important than the front office.

Without Duncan...none of that is possible.

Duncan on another team? All of it is possible....hence Duncan deserves more credit.

And I'll repeat...the Spurs front office has been amazing and deserves a ton of credit for the sustained excellence.

Mirror
07-08-2015, 12:14 PM
Go watch those last 5 seconds again.
Duncan took a HORRIBLE shot and got lucky.

Fisher took a brilliant shot and got lucky.

He has since hit that same off balanced jumper multiple times.

West-Side
07-08-2015, 12:23 PM
He has since hit that same off balanced jumper multiple times.

And how many times has he missed it? Or even attempted such a shot?
I don't recall a single time Duncan hitting that off-balanced shot from 20 feet away with a seven footer's hand in his face like that. It was a desperation shot and he was fortunate it went in. Shaquille defended him perfectly.

It was no different than Kobe's fluky 3 against Miami over Wade.

West-Side
07-08-2015, 12:27 PM
Do you really want to get roasted like you did yesterday?

At least fight a fair fight....actually address my points and argue with me...and not the ghost you've created.

It's just embarrassing at this point.

I'll ask again....who has the better chance of recreating the last 17 years.

A different franchise with Duncan....or the Spurs without Duncan? Please answer.

And after that....tell me how the Mavs making the playoffs 14 of the last 15 years and winning over 50 11 straight times (only been done like 3 other times in NBA history) is the result of the brilliant front office Mavs.

You regurgitate the same lame paragraphs over & over again.
You don't actually roast anyone. You just have the time on your hands to keep arguing with people. Just like yesterday, when after a while, you started calling me "ignorant". Today you called me a "clown".

At least don't be a hypocrite. I can tell you're getting frustrated.
Just realize something. You think you roasted me because I am convinced Kobe's 2013 season was better than Duncan's. The same year Duncan clocked in 30 minutes a game versus a guy who was carrying his team to the playoffs putting up fantastic all-around numbers. The central point of your argument was highlighting defensive statistics that are dominated by big man.

I guess in that case, Roy Hibbert had a better year than Kobe too.

Purch
07-08-2015, 12:27 PM
I cant believe my thread got Hijacked like this.:facepalm

Mirror
07-08-2015, 12:31 PM
I don't recall a single time Duncan hitting that off-balanced shot from 20 feet away with a seven footer's hand in his face like that. It was a desperation shot and he was fortunate it went in. Shaquille defended him perfectly.

It is not the best shot to take, but certainly easier than Fisher's. And I know I've seen Duncan make that shot at least one time since then.

I don't remember Kobe's shot that you are referring to.

West-Side
07-08-2015, 12:33 PM
It is not the best shot to take, but certainly easier than Fisher's. And I know I've seen Duncan make that shot at least one time since then.

I don't remember Kobe's shot that you are referring to.

It's definitely not as ridiculous as Fisher's .4 shot. But still, Duncan made a very difficult shot that I think he would miss 9/10 times. Heck, most players would; especially big man.

DMAVS41
07-08-2015, 12:34 PM
You regurgitate the same lame paragraphs over & over again.
You don't actually roast anyone. You just have the time on your hands to keep arguing with people. Just like yesterday, when after a while, you started calling me "ignorant". Today you called me a "clown".

At least don't be a hypocrite. I can tell you're getting frustrated.
Just realize something. You think you roasted me because I am convinced Kobe's 2013 season was better than Duncan's. The same year Duncan clocked in 30 minutes a game versus a guy who was carrying his team to the playoffs putting up fantastic all-around numbers. The central point of your argument was highlighting defensive statistics that are dominated by big man.

I guess in that case, Roy Hibbert had a better year than Kobe too.

ROFL...you are ignorant and you are a clown. :confusedshrug:

Don't act like I'm avoiding an argument with you. I've addressed all of your points. You continue to fail to address mine.

Yesterday?

Dude...

You went from saying..."it's trolling" to take Duncan...then went to "clearly" Kobe was better....then went to "Kobe has the edge"...

I'd say you get knocked off your position....No?

You don't grasp how good Duncan was. That part is abundantly clear...you are ignorant to that.

You also seem ignorant to the kind of success a franchise is going to have around a guy like Dirk, a lesser player than Duncan, with just being a competent front office.

Are you actually saying you think the Spurs front office is the more irreplaceable part of this equation? Please answer.

T_L_P
07-08-2015, 12:36 PM

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--6ZFR-n19--/c_fit,fl_progressive,q_80,w_636/alarhfycu0f6ovhdbjqt.gif

T_L_P
07-08-2015, 12:38 PM
You went from saying..."it's trolling" to take Duncan...then went to "clearly" Kobe was better....then went to "Kobe has the edge"...

He was doing nothing but shitposting for multiple pages then he changed his tune to the old "they are interchangable generational GOATs". :oldlol:

West-Side
07-08-2015, 12:48 PM
ROFL...you are ignorant and you are a clown. :confusedshrug:

Yesterday?

Dude...

I'd say you get knocked off your position....No?

You don't grasp how good Duncan was. That part is abundantly clear...you are ignorant to that.

You also seem ignorant to the kind of success a franchise is going to have around a guy like Dirk, a lesser player than Duncan, with just being a competent front office.

Are you actually saying you think the Spurs front office is the more irreplaceable part of this equation? Please answer.

Your question is the problem and it's impossible to really answer.
When Duncan was drafted, they already had a championship caliber team. They won in 99' & 03' with that team.

For Duncan to have as much success as he has had over his illustrious career; he needed Gregg Popovich and that front office to continuously re-tool the team. Just like they needed him to be the player to build around. I don't think SA wins 50+ games with Duncan after like 2007. But that in large part has a lot to do with their ability to get the right pieces around him.

After about 2009; I think if Duncan went elsewhere and they used that money to sign the next star big man, they could have quite realistically build a team that would continue to win 50+ games up until today.

Tony Parker wasn't a lottery pick; but he has won FMVP before. Leonard was not a lottery pick, he was a FMVP. Manu wasn't a lottery pick and he's a possible HOF. All these players came to the team before Duncan won his first title. These are all key players to those 50+ win seasons.

The problem we're having is we're talking about two different issues. I'm not trying to say whether Duncan is more important than Pop & their front office. I'm simply telling you that they did a fantastic job at making sure Duncan always had the right group of guys that he can win titles with.

So the question you're asking me is irrelevant.
How can we really answer this?

If Duncan wanted to be released from SA in 2000 and SA had 20+ million to sign another superstar; their approach to the off-season would have been completely different. The way Popovich prepared his squad would have been completely different.

All I know is two things:

1) Without Duncan, SA would have had a lot of trouble winning their first 3 championships.
2) Without Popovich & that outstanding front office; San Antonio could have quite easily become a lottery team right after the 2007/08 season.

Heck, they never end up winning in 2007 either if they didn't end up drafting Manu & Parker. You need to remember something. This team has won 50+ games the last 15 some years; they never had the luxury of getting high picks in the draft, yet they still managed to find gems.

West-Side
07-08-2015, 12:50 PM
http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--6ZFR-n19--/c_fit,fl_progressive,q_80,w_636/alarhfycu0f6ovhdbjqt.gif

Oh yeah bro, that was a bulls-eye.
He definitely didn't get lucky there. :roll:

T_L_P
07-08-2015, 12:52 PM
Oh yeah bro, that was a bulls-eye.
He definitely didn't get lucky there. :roll:

Your words:

I don't recall a single time Duncan hitting that off-balanced shot from 20 feet away with a seven footer's hand in his face

My post:

DMAVS41
07-08-2015, 12:54 PM
When Duncan was drafted, they already had a championship caliber team. They won in 99' & 03' with that team.

For Duncan to have as much success as he has had over his illustrious career; he needed Gregg Popovich and that front office to continuously re-tool the team. Just like they needed him to be the player to build around. I don't think SA wins 50+ games without Duncan up until 2007. But that in large part has a lot to do with their ability to get the right pieces around him.

After about 2009; I think if Duncan went elsewhere and they used that money to sign the next star big man, they could have quite realistically build a team that would continue to win 50+ games up until today.

Tony Parker wasn't a lottery pick; but he has won FMVP before. Leonard was not a lottery pick, he was a FMVP. Manu wasn't a lottery pick and he's a possible HOF. All these players came to the team before Duncan won his first title. These are all key players to those 50+ win seasons.

The problem we're having is we're talking about two different issues. I'm not trying to say whether Duncan is more important than Pop & their front office. I'm simply telling you that they did a fantastic job at making sure Duncan always had the right group of guys that he can win titles with.

So the question you're asking me is irrelevant.
How can we really answer this?

If Duncan wanted to be released from SA in 2000 and SA had 20+ million to sign another superstar; their approach to the off-season would have been completely different. The way Popovich prepared his squad would have been completely different.

All I know is two things:

1) Without Duncan, SA would have had a lot of trouble winning their first 3 championships.
2) Without Popovich & that outstanding front office; San Antonio could have quite easily become a lottery team right after the 2007/08 season.

Heck, they never end up winning in 2007 either if they didn't end up drafting Manu & Parker. You need to remember something. This team has won 50+ games the last 15 some years; they never had the luxury of getting high picks in the draft, yet they still managed to find gems.

So why do you have a problem with me saying that the Spurs front office has been amazing and absolutely critical to the success?

Does it give you any pause, that a lesser player than Duncan, with a far worse front office....had a historic 11 year stretch in consistency...and has made the playoffs 14 of 15 years?

You should read this article...it's good for Spurs stuff, but also where the Dirk Mavs fall as well in terms of sustained excellence:

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/bill-russells-celtics-were-great-tim-duncans-spurs-have-been-better/

I just don't think you get what kind of success you are pretty much assured of with a Dirk or Duncan unless you have a shit front office like the Twolves or something.

And just no. Duncan was still a great player in 09. This is what you have to stop being so ignorant about.

The Spurs could have easily been a lottery team in 09? Sure, if they hard tanked or something, but that wouldn't be because of Duncan....when he was still a 19/11/4 monster of a player.

Have you actually looked at the 09 roster? Like...you think that is an elite team?

Parker
Injured Manu that played like half the year
Roger Mason
Finley
Bonner
37 year old Bowen
Kurt Thomas

It just wasn't a great team...like at all....

This is why I say you are ignorant. You act like the 08 and 09 Spurs were some masterfully built rosters. They weren't...and what's more...Manu was hurt both years and in both playoffs.

West-Side
07-08-2015, 12:55 PM
Your words:

My post:

I have never seen this shot before.
He still was very lucky that went in.

Legends66NBA7
07-08-2015, 01:07 PM
Last 2 years, San Antonio vs Houston almost happened.

ninephive
07-08-2015, 01:34 PM
I thought it was off the board, it's been a long time since.
It's still one of the flukiest shots ever made.

Duncan hardly ever attempts perimeter shots without having his feet set; and when he does, it's a bank from the corner of the court.

He shot it in desperation with the clock winding down; he knew he had no time to pass and got lucky.

You seriously going to tell me, it wasn't luck?
If Kobe made that shot, maybe it wouldn't be lucky since he's made these rediculous shots so much in his career but Duncan isn't known to make these 20 foot fade away jumpers over 7 footers.
The play was designed to go to Ginobili cutting to the basket but he either gets grabbed by Kobe or he flops. So Duncan had to improvise. But Duncan's made that exact same shot at the buzzer other times: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_2z1GzyhX4

Edit: NM, already posted.

Mirror
07-08-2015, 02:35 PM
I have never seen this shot before.
He still was very lucky that went in.

http://images.rapgenius.com/0882520425eca1b586265b1ebece108d.500x281x102.gif

West-Side
07-08-2015, 02:39 PM
The play was designed to go to Ginobili cutting to the basket but he either gets grabbed by Kobe or he flops. So Duncan had to improvise. But Duncan's made that exact same shot at the buzzer other times: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_2z1GzyhX4

Edit: NM, already posted.

So I said Duncan's shot was very lucky. As it was; you guys show me a gif of a shot that bounced around the rim a million times and went in, and that should confirm something?

Fact is, both of those shots were lucky they went in.
Trust me; Kobe has taken some really difficult (/bad) shots in his days and some of them went in.

Fact is, if you guys want to bring up Fisher's shot as an excuse of why you lost don't ****ing act like Duncan's shot wasn't lucky as shit as well. :hammerhead:

Mirror; back peddling is when you change your argument bud. I said from the start Duncan's shot was lucky. You showing me another scenario where Duncan clearly got lucky, doesn't change my stance.

Mirror
07-08-2015, 03:02 PM
So I said Duncan's shot was very lucky. As it was; you guys show me a gif of a shot that bounced around the rim a million times and went in, and that should confirm something?

Mirror; back peddling is when you change your argument bud. I said from the start Duncan's shot was lucky. You showing me another scenario where Duncan clearly got lucky, doesn't change my stance.

Maybe back peddling was wrong. The point is, you were wrong about Duncan not making that shot any other time.

And maybe the one that rattled a bunch was lucky to drop, but the one he made didn't not rattle. Your evidence for it being lucky is that the other time he made it, it wasn't as clean. Does that is like somebody going 2/2 at the free throw line and saying that because one rattled in, the one that went in easily was lucky :hammerhead:

No matter how you look at it, Duncan had a better look at his shot than Fisher with more time to get it off, AND has proven that he can recreate that shot when needed. It was a difficult shot, but a make-able shot that requires less luck than Fisher's.

West-Side
07-08-2015, 03:08 PM
Maybe back peddling was wrong. The point is, you were wrong about Duncan not making that shot any other time.

And maybe the one that rattled a bunch was lucky to drop, but the one he made didn't not rattle. Your evidence for it being lucky is that the other time he made it, it wasn't as clean. Does that is like somebody going 2/2 at the free throw line and saying that because one rattled in, the one that went in easily was lucky :hammerhead:

No matter how you look at it, Duncan had a better look at his shot than Fisher with more time to get it off, AND has proven that he can recreate that shot when needed. It was a difficult shot, but a make-able shot that requires less luck than Fisher's.

It was a very difficult shot for anyone to make. I am not denying Duncan could make a similar shot but the probability of him making it is very low. Therefore the result was lucky.

Just like if Kobe made a fade away 3 pointer from 35 feet away; or like Fisher's 0.04 shot. Bottom line, LA was winning the game and it took a very difficult shot from Duncan to take the lead. Fisher countered it with another lucky shot.

I wouldn't have even brought it up if people were't bitching about "bad luck".

Phong
07-08-2015, 03:16 PM
Losing to inferior teams 7 times in the playoffs during the Duncan era. :ohwell:

Mirror
07-08-2015, 03:26 PM
Losing to inferior teams 7 times in the playoffs during the Duncan era. :ohwell:

Yeah, he should just start missing the playoffs completely, right?

rmt
07-08-2015, 03:27 PM
I cant believe my thread got Hijacked like this.:facepalm

Kobe stans desperately trying to keep him relevant. All Spur fans, FO, coaches and ownership understand that Tim Duncan is the single most important reason why this run has been/continues to be made.

Anaximandro1
07-08-2015, 04:05 PM
When Duncan was drafted, they already had a championship caliber team.

They won in 99' & 03' with that team.

Duncan would have had a better career with the Blazers or Kings ... because Shaq and Kobe would have remained ringless. No question about it.

pay attention, my friend

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-PuplhRBpYgI/VMEeypl4sCI/AAAAAAAADr4/QAXGQAItj7I/s1600/23.jpg

Popovich was a bad coach (despised by the Spurs fanbase after he betrayed Bob Hill) on the brink on being fired after losing to the Utah Jazz on February 28, 1999 ... Fortunately, the Spurs won nine straight games. The 22-year-old Duncan averaged 25/11/2/3 TS 56% during the winning streak that saved Popovich's career.

The franchise was losing money playing at the Alamodome .... Duncan came up big in every crucial game and the Spurs won their first title in 1999. The first championship brought a new taxpayer-funded arena, vital for the economic survival. The referendum was held the same day the Spurs players received their rings.

SAS 99 - HOU 82 (they were going to fire Pop)

Duncan 23 pt / 14 rb / 5 blk / 1 ast

Robinson 15 pt / 9 rb / 3 blk / 3 ast

Hakeem 12 pt / 11 rb / 4 blk / 1 ast

Barkley 16 pt/ 6 rb / 1 blk / 1 ast

-----------------------------

@ Salt Lake City

SAS 83 - UTA 69

Duncan 36 pt / 10 rb / 7 blk / 1 ast

Malone 23 pt/ 13 rb / 1 blk/ 3ast

-----------------------------

San Antonio

UTA 78 - SAS 84

Duncan 26 pt/ 14 rb / 4 blk / 1 as

Malone 24 pt/ 14 rb/ 2 blk / 3 as

-------------------------------

@ LA

1999 Playoffs WCSF Game 3 (SAS 103 - LAL 91)

Duncan 37 pt/ 14 rb / 1 blk / 4 ast

Shaq 22 pt / 15 rb / 3 blk

----------------------------------

@ NY

1999 NBA Finals Game 5 (SAS 78 - NYK 77)

Duncan 31 pt/ 9 rb / 1 blk / 2 as

Camby 7 pt/ 5 rb / 1 blk / 1 as

October 1999 - Spurs Pressing To Get Out Vote In San Antonio
(http://www.nytimes.com/1999/10/31/sports/1999-2000-nba-preview-notebook-spurs-pressing-to-get-out-vote-in-san-antonio.html)
The owner, Peter Holt, is implying that he may move the team. Even the gracious David Robinson has joined the gallant fight to make the people of San Antonio pay for a new arena.

Warning the citizenry of the great catastrophe at hand if they fail to vote for a referendum on Tuesday, Robinson said: ''If they don't want the team there, that's fine. But they have to realize what comes with that or what goes with that.''

MySanAntonio
(http://blog.mysanantonio.com/buckharvey/2009/11/fire-pop-that-was-the-last-time/)[QUOTE]For some perspective, go back to the last time Popovich lost to the Jazz in San Antonio.[B] That was Feb. 28, 1999, in the Alamodome

T_L_P
07-08-2015, 04:09 PM
^Rat poison.

Legends66NBA7
07-08-2015, 07:59 PM
Probably the most impressive thing (well, it gets overlooked...) with San Antonio Spurs team in general is that they are the only NBA team in league history to never miss the playoffs in consecutive seasons.