PDA

View Full Version : Can Kyle Anderson make the leap to Contributor?

westsideozzie
07-08-2015, 07:15 PM
Been watching this cat for a year and wow is he an enigma. He got game, but he has the athleticism of a toddler. He can handle the rock but he turns the ball over, and the only thing he seems to have is elite height for maybe a big two.
He's an un athletic wing, but if anybody can get something out of him it's pop. I think if he con contribute in a meaningful barring injuries the Spurs are a lock for 65 wins.

What's y'all take on this guy? Wanna hear from my Spurs peeps..

inclinerator
07-08-2015, 07:18 PM
he's slower than singh

hawksdogsbraves
07-08-2015, 07:20 PM
Been watching this cat for a year and wow is he an enigma. He got game, but he has the athleticism of a toddler. He can handle the rock but he turns the ball over, and the only thing he seems to have is elite height for maybe a big two.
He's an un athletic wing, but if anybody can get something out of him it's pop. I think if he con contribute in a meaningful barring injuries the Spurs are a lock for 65 wins.

What's y'all take on this guy? Wanna hear from my Spurs peeps..

Totally forgot about that guy lol, I kind of liked the fit when they originally picked him.

He's going to have to get better at knocking down open 3's if he wants to get a rotation slot. Unathletic ball-dominant guys who can't shoot aren't going to get a lot of minutes on that team, (or any team really).

Levity
07-08-2015, 07:23 PM
he looks great in summer league, but against real NBA competition, he'll always have issues. Too weak to play 4, too slow to guard legit 3s. But he does have a nice skill set and will be serviceable for bench minutes, as long as you have a good rim protector behind him. But i dont see him being starter material in this league.

chips93
07-08-2015, 07:44 PM
he'll have plenty of opportunity next year, he only has to beat out vet minimum guys for minutes as backup small forward

hes a great passer, if he can become a consistent shooter, he could fit right in with the spurs great ball movement.

ralph_i_el
07-08-2015, 07:47 PM
He's got the brain for the game....be he isn't quick enough to score, and he isn't a good enough shooter to keep the floor spaced when he plays.

Honestly, his only NBA-level skill is ball moving. He passes well.

Here's the only path I can see for him to be a starter:

-improves his 3 point shot so that he can hit spot up 3's consistently at a 35-40% clip.

-adds muscle so he can defend 4's (today's league is moving to the small-ball 4's, so he won't be beat up on a nightly basis.)

This will allow him to stay on the court and not be exploited (guarding 4's will cover his quickness, spot up 3's will cover his inability to score, and adding muscle will stop him from getting beat up guarding 4's). If he gets time on the court, his passing ability will get the chance to shine.

buuuuuut all of this could have been said about Luke Walton too...

I'm a huge fan of tall guys who can pass well and are willing to give up the rock to make the right play. Plus I'm a big UCLA fan (much of my family went their). I hope he will succeed.

T_L_P
07-08-2015, 07:49 PM
He's been very good in the D-League and Summer League (no surprises there), but he just hasn't had in the real league.

What surprises me most is how much the FO raves about him. They absolutely love Kyle, and they've said they're shocked at his development.

Hopefully we see a little more this year.

IGOTGAME
07-08-2015, 08:28 PM
He's been very good in the D-League and Summer League (no surprises there), but he just hasn't had in the real league.

What surprises me most is how much the FO raves about him. They absolutely love Kyle, and they've said they're shocked at his development.

Hopefully we see a little more this year.
He looked really good in the games I saw early last season.

There are tall guys that can pass...but Kyle Anderson is a point guard on offense. He is also a really good pg. he may have to play off ball in the NBA but his passing and feel for the game is elite. If he gets that 3 ball down then he is gonna be a hell of a player

Spurs m8
07-08-2015, 08:31 PM
I honestly can't see whatever the Spurs crew do, looks like a complete bust in every way.

midatlantic09
07-08-2015, 09:36 PM
No, he can't. The guy is way too slow and doesn't really have a niche he can really hang his hat on like a great jumper or great defense.

TheMilkyBarKid
07-08-2015, 09:53 PM
Knowing the Spurs, I'm sure he could.

kurple
07-08-2015, 10:26 PM
i liked Kyle over LaVine in last years draft

kyle just understands the game and a good team and coach could mask his slow feet defensively

look at what andre miller did for denver. slow as hell, but was one of our biggest offensive threats with his desicionmaking and savyness

also love delon wright for similar reasons. tho he also has legit defensive potential to go with it

Dr. Cheesesteak
07-09-2015, 12:27 AM
Knowing the Spurs, I'm sure he could.
this. As long as he coached by Pop, he can contribute in some way.

Haymaker
07-09-2015, 12:33 AM
We could've had KJ McDaniels or Jordan Clarkson instead.

JimmyMcAdocious
07-09-2015, 12:57 AM
He needs to be a 4. His skillset as a 4 can present mismatch problems similar to how Diaw is used. On the wing he's just another guy, except he moves at one-tenth the speed.

midatlantic09
07-09-2015, 01:34 AM
i liked Kyle over LaVine in last years draft

kyle just understands the game and a good team and coach could mask his slow feet defensively

look at what andre miller did for denver. slow as hell, but was one of our biggest offensive threats with his desicionmaking and savyness

also love delon wright for similar reasons. tho he also has legit defensive potential to go with it

Andre Miller is actually pretty explosive when it comes to change of pace...he's not all that slow.

Timmy D for MVP
07-09-2015, 01:40 AM
The Spurs didn't seem to make wing players their priority after Aldridge and I felt like that's a big need for them after losing Joseph and Belli. I assumed they were working on certain guys or they have faith in Anderson covering up some holes.

I think he'll have a spot in the rotation and it'll be up to him to keep it.

cranincu
07-09-2015, 02:55 AM
if andre miller can succeed, so can kyle anderson

CNNonceAgain
07-09-2015, 07:42 AM
Give him time. Players with unique skilsets rarely excel early in their careers. He's on the right team but he needs to figure a lot of stuff out before he can be relied upon.

Also, not to beat a dead horse but he needs to be able to shoot threes and defends 4's if he's ever going to have success

Thorpesaurous
07-09-2015, 09:09 AM
He needs to be a 4. His skillset as a 4 can present mismatch problems similar to how Diaw is used. On the wing he's just another guy, except he moves at one-tenth the speed.

I agree with this, and even when they drafted him I thought of Diaw. But like everyone is saying, he's gotta get stronger to defend the four, and it'd be huge if he could get that jumper fixed.

Glenn Rice is having an issue converting dominant D-League performance into NBA contributor status, and the problem is he's a scorer, so the thing he brings to the table is something other guys already do better than him. If Anderson is acting as the pimary playmaker for his D-League team, he may have a similar problem. Shooting and defense are off ball skills that translate better, and once he's in a rotation he's playmaking can flash and make him stand out among the role players. But he needs the other stuff to get into a rotation first.

Haymaker
07-09-2015, 09:21 AM
I agree with this, and even when they drafted him I thought of Diaw. But like everyone is saying, he's gotta get stronger to defend the four, and it'd be huge if he could get that jumper fixed.

Glenn Rice is having an issue converting dominant D-League performance into NBA contributor status, and the problem is he's a scorer, so the thing he brings to the table is something other guys already do better than him. If Anderson is acting as the pimary playmaker for his D-League team, he may have a similar problem. Shooting and defense are off ball skills that translate better, and once he's in a rotation he's playmaking can flash and make him stand out among the role players. But he needs the other stuff to get into a rotation first.

The thing is, even this old fat version of Diaw is faster than Kyle. Dude is slow as fvck. Moves like the Big Show.

Pushxx
07-09-2015, 10:34 AM
To everyone saying Miller was unathletic...he wasn't really that much.

He had incredible endurance, hustle, and good acceleration.