PDA

View Full Version : Is Marcus Smart the next Gary Payton?

Shade8780
07-10-2015, 10:52 AM
I think so.

http://streamable.com/gncp

That was last night's game. And it doesn't even tell the full story. Whenever he came on the court, he changed the game completely. He was either scoring, assisting, stealing, blocking or whatever. It was crazy. The Celtics seemed like a new team with him there. He's a 21-year-old, sophomore NBA pro, yet he plays like a ten-year vet. Shows the insane heart and hustle that The Glove did, and plays just like him.

His other SL game he had 25 points, 8 assists, 5 rebounds and 2 steals. You really can't judge this guy on his rookie season stats. Again, his game goes so beyond them. Even then, I think they will JUMP this season. He will really blow up.

StephHamann
07-10-2015, 10:54 AM
Next Jordan

Jailblazers7
07-10-2015, 10:57 AM
I certainly hope so. It would be a ton of fun to see him reach that level. I pump my breaks a lot since it's just summer league tho. Nice to see his jumper falling tho even if it is a meaningless game against subpar comp.

PP34Deuce
07-10-2015, 11:01 AM
I am encouraged to see that he will be a rotation player.

Definitely not Gary payton though.

Derka
07-10-2015, 11:03 AM
Summer League, though.

I need to see some demonstrated growth in his game this year before I start walking down that road. I want to see him attack the basket with more effort this year against NBA lineups, not just settle for the jump shot.

Shade8780
07-10-2015, 11:05 AM
Yeah. He seems to both attacking the rim more in Summer League and his three has definitely improved.

Have to see him do it against the pros though.

Foster5k
07-10-2015, 11:13 AM
Summer league.

BlackWhiteGreen
07-10-2015, 11:19 AM
He's saying his ankle is only now really healed from when it went in November, which is a good sign. Summer League, yeah, but it'd be more worrying if he was (like Young) looking average.

BlakFrankWhite
07-10-2015, 11:26 AM
If he's smart enough

brownmamba00
07-10-2015, 11:32 AM
He's won't be GP good but def an allstar somewhere down the line if he keeps working on his outside shot paired with his elite defensive potential...his floor is a bigger iman shumpert imo which is still good.

RidonKs
07-10-2015, 11:32 AM
eventually he'll be better than peak rondo which ain't sayin nothin

that no look overhand pass to buddy in the paint was something i've never seen from him

ShackEelOKneel
07-10-2015, 11:34 AM
If he's smart enough
:lebronamazed:

Real Men Wear Green
07-10-2015, 11:43 AM
Not even close but hopefully he's developing into a good shooter. That with his good d would make him a legit starting guard.

PP34Deuce
07-10-2015, 11:46 AM
He's won't be GP good but def an allstar somewhere down the line if he keeps working on his outside shot paired with his elite defensive potential...his floor is a bigger iman shumpert imo which is still good.

Shumpert pre injuries was an athletic freak. He's still very athletic but we will never see Shumperts prime due to his injuries.

Marcus Smart is going to be a starting claiber NBA player. he reminds me of Jarrett Jack for his size and overall game. He's not athletic enough to be a game changer like Rondo was.

He's got a thick build which allows him to defend 1-3 effectively but he's not explosive or a next level athlete.

NugzFan
07-10-2015, 11:48 AM
It's so cute how fans get excited over summer league and then look stupid when the regular season starts.

FatComputerNerd
07-10-2015, 11:55 AM
Looks pretty good based off that clip.

I haven't seen much of him, as I don't really follow college b-ball.

Is he as good of as passer as that vid. makes him seem?

HoopologyPhD
07-10-2015, 04:27 PM
I haven't seen much of him but he is listed about 40 lbs heavier than Payton so it would be difficult for him to have the stamina and quickness to play Glove type defense all game especially without having elite athleticism.

PP34Deuce
07-10-2015, 04:38 PM
He's jarrett jack. Not a true PG or SG. He could be better but not by much.

Prime Jarrett was a 16ppg 4 and 5 player. Thats a solid starter.

HurricaneKid
07-10-2015, 05:00 PM
Summer League All-Star.

Dude sat out the last game. Playing against guys that couldn't get Euro deals, with extra rest... NOT IMPRESSIVE.

bdreason
07-10-2015, 06:34 PM
Next Rod Strickland.

bizil
07-13-2015, 09:03 PM
For me, the next GP style of point guard is gonna be John Wall. Wall is the same size as Payton BUT is a freakish athlete on top of it. GP was also a pass first PG who could ALSO be an alpha dog scorer. Wall has the passing down and he's improving his scoring every year. And of course GP was a lockdown defender as well. Defensively, Wall is getting better and better every year too.

So at the end of the day, I think Wall will be the next Payton. And even EVOLVE what Payton did because of his athletic ability. Marcus Smart at this point is more of a combo guard. And his body type is more like D Wade. I don't see the comparison to GP.

TheMilkyBarKid
07-13-2015, 09:41 PM
I wish!

I do believe he is a lot better than his rookie stats indicate though.

Done_And_Done
07-13-2015, 09:44 PM
I wish!

I do believe he is a lot better than his rookie stats indicate though.

I agree... Fully

Pushxx
07-13-2015, 10:40 PM
Smart has a lot of savvy to him but he made a lot of mistakes as a rookie as expected. He needs a little more maturity and PG experience to bring a team to the next level.

He's learning though. You can tell he's working on his game.

MMM
07-14-2015, 12:59 PM
marcus smart isn't the next GP but i feel he is closer to a a guard version of Artest and maybe possibly Kyle Lowry. Like Artest i feel Smart has tremendous hands on defense but i hoping he can add some lowry to his offensive side potentially. He might not be an all star but he can still carve out an effective career. it seemed like he was accustomed to making small plays here and there that were clutch in keeping the Celtics competitive.

Bay Area Baller
07-14-2015, 03:33 PM
would start Avery Bradley over him

MMM
07-14-2015, 04:25 PM
would start Avery Bradley over him

I liked them both starting but it means ETO playing point forward to make up the ball handling defficiency.

Clifton
07-14-2015, 05:03 PM
I love his tough 3-and-D game.

I don't see how he can be much more than that at the NBA level.

Smoke117
07-14-2015, 05:50 PM
Calling a guy the next Gary Payton because of a summer league game...
http://i.imgur.com/wgZ1HRl.gif