PDA

View Full Version : Wilson Chaldner Signs $46M/4 year Extension with Nuggets

SwishSquared
07-11-2015, 10:50 PM
Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 3m3 minutes ago

Denver's Wilson Chandler agreed to a four-year, $46M extension, league source tells Yahoo Sports.

Didn't see that coming. Honestly thought they'd trade him. I do think this contract will be very moveable with this annual pay once the cap hits- should be a good trade asset. Not sure how many guaranteed years, so maybe the backend won't be pretty.

EDIT: Yeah, I botched his name

NugzFan
07-11-2015, 10:56 PM
Good news. That's so cheap these days.

coin24
07-11-2015, 11:04 PM
Lakers should have made an offer idiots

NugzFan
07-11-2015, 11:15 PM
Lakers should have made an offer idiots

Don't think they could have.

Springsteen
07-11-2015, 11:17 PM
gross

SwishSquared
07-11-2015, 11:52 PM
Lakers should have made an offer idiotsThey could have only offered to acquire him via trade.

Apparently Chandler re-negotiated his contract, then signed on for a 3-year extension. @bobbymarks42 has a few tweets regarding this. Apparently if a team is far below the cap and entering the 3rd season of a 4 year contract, you can actually renegotiated a player's deal to give him a raise. Never heard of this rule. He effectively acted as a FA while under contract.

daily
07-11-2015, 11:53 PM
Good news. That's so cheap these days.That is a bargain with the way teams have been tossing around money this summer

HylianNightmare
07-11-2015, 11:54 PM
good trade chip

hawksdogsbraves
07-11-2015, 11:55 PM
God he really ****ed himself when he went overseas didn't he

daily
07-12-2015, 12:03 AM
Lakers should have made an offer idiotsHe wasn't a free agent. This is a contract extension

wally_world
07-12-2015, 01:09 AM
Better player than his numbers suggest. I'm a fan but he's Too passive at times tho

ProfessorMurder
07-12-2015, 11:40 AM
God he really ****ed himself when he went overseas didn't he
No, he f*cked himself by being constantly hurt for 4 years.

BigTicket
07-12-2015, 12:47 PM
Makes me feel a little better about the Cavs paying Shumpert $40M/4.

GIF REACTION
07-12-2015, 12:49 PM
Average player. Shit team. Worse city.

Laughing stock of the league. A joke.

DMAVS41
07-12-2015, 12:59 PM
Interesting. I wonder what the Nuggets plans are for the team this year.

It seems logical they should start over and try to rebuild...and I'm not sure this contract gives us any indication of what their plan is.

Wilson Chandler at less than 12 million a year is a good contract and definitely good trade bait at the deadline this year. I think the Cavs should take a look at him. Knowing he's locked up long term at that number....would give them some nice depth behind Lebron and could get Lebron's minutes down even more in the regular season.

Worst case scenario for Cavs is that it doesn't work and they retain a trade chip at a number that can work for a number of different trades.

Or, I guess, the Nuggets could make a playoff push...I just don't think that makes much sense long term.

I mean...the Nuggets now have 3 very good contracts imo.

Lawson is locked up for 2 years at 25 million
Fareid is locked up for 4 years at 48 million
Chandler is locked up for 4 years 46 million

Given where the market is headed....those contracts are +EV for all of them imo. And it sounds like teams are willing to give up stuff Gallinari as well.

If they could turn those guys into real assets and rebuild around Mudiay....could be a nice young core.

I wouldn't hate it if they made a playoff push, but I'd rather start the rebuild now and I think they could net the most back for their guys this summer or early this season.

GIF REACTION
07-12-2015, 01:04 PM

It seems logical they should start over and try to rebuild...and I'm not sure this contract gives us any indication of what their plan is.

Wilson Chandler at less than 12 million a year is a good contract and definitely good trade bait at the deadline this year. I think the Cavs should take a look at him. Knowing he's locked up long term at that number....would give them some nice depth behind Lebron and could get Lebron's minutes down even more in the regular season.

Worst case scenario for Cavs is that it doesn't work and they retain a trade chip at a number that can work for a number of different trades.

Or, I guess, the Nuggets could make a playoff push...I just don't think that makes much sense long term.
:roll:

BigTicket
07-12-2015, 01:08 PM

No thanks, Chandler is massively overrated.

The stats are pretty clear, -2.04 RPM and a PER of just 13. He's a below average NBA player, and not worth anywhere near $46M.

Why do people like this guy ? He's not a good shooter, or a good defender, and he's injury prone.

DMAVS41
07-12-2015, 01:09 PM
:roll:

The Nuggets have real NBA players right now.

If healthy...that team is not going to win like 30 games or something.

Teams like the Jazz and Suns and Mavericks are really no better.

I wouldn't go for that, but teams do stuff like that all the time.

That Nuggets team is better than you are letting on...especially if Mudiay is ready to contribute...and I think he is.

GIF REACTION
07-12-2015, 01:11 PM
George Karl was the backbone of those Nuggets teams. Without him they weren't the same. They aren't the same. Mike Malone is a decent coach, but he's no GK.

DMAVS41
07-12-2015, 01:11 PM

The stats are pretty clear, -2.04 RPM and a PER of just 13. He's a below average NBA player, and not worth anywhere near $46M.

Why do people like this guy ? He's not a good shooter, or a good defender, and he's injury prone.

Because he's a player that could do well in certain circumstances. If you play him 20 minutes a game or so on a very good team...I think he'd pay some nice dividends.

Not sure who you think the Cavs are getting with that Haywood contract, but it's not going to be an all-star. And there aren't many guys locked up for 4 years...which is another benefit, imo, to a guy like Chandler.

If Gilbert is really willing to spend any amount, I don't see much of a downside to that contract with where this money is headed.

BigTicket
07-12-2015, 01:18 PM
Because he's a player that could do well in certain circumstances. If you play him 20 minutes a game or so on a very good team...I think he'd pay some nice dividends.

Not sure who you think the Cavs are getting with that Haywood contract, but it's not going to be an all-star. And there aren't many guys locked up for 4 years...which is another benefit, imo, to a guy like Chandler.

If Gilbert is really willing to spend any amount, I don't see much of a downside to that contract with where this money is headed.

I don't think the Cavs will get anyone for the Haywood contract, it's just too costly.

The Cavs are way above the luxury tax threshold, so they have to pay ~4$ in tax for every 1$ in salary they add. That means a contract like Chandler's would cost them ~$50M per year. No owner in his right might would pay that for someone so mediocre.

Also, why on earth would Denver sign him, and then trade him for Haywood in a pure salary dump ? Makes no sense.

DMAVS41
07-12-2015, 01:23 PM
I don't think the Cavs will get anyone for the Haywood contract, it's just too costly.

The Cavs are way above the luxury tax threshold, so they have to pay ~4$ in tax for every 1$ in salary they add. That means a contract like Chandler's would cost them ~$50M per year. No owner in his right might would pay that for someone so mediocre.

Also, why on earth would Denver sign him, and then trade him for Haywood in a pure salary dump ? Makes no sense.

I tried to explain this.

Because on a 4 year locked in contract before the cap jump...it makes trading for him more attractive imo. I'm not sure why any team would give up anything for a 1 year rental of Wilson Chandler where if he has a good year...he's going to sign for way more money than the Nuggets just gave him.

But this is why I don't follow what the Nuggets are doing and why I said they might be gearing up for a playoff push. It doesn't make much sense...

It's like Fareid. I don't even like him that much, but on his contract at 4 years 48 or whatever he has left? Damn if that isn't a great contract given where this money is headed.

That is a great trade asset to have for this Nuggets team imo...and they should use it.

NugzFan
07-12-2015, 02:40 PM
The Nuggets have real NBA players right now.

If healthy...that team is not going to win like 30 games or something.

Teams like the Jazz and Suns and Mavericks are really no better.

I wouldn't go for that, but teams do stuff like that all the time.

That Nuggets team is better than you are letting on...especially if Mudiay is ready to contribute...and I think he is.

Don't worry about him. Gif reaction has made it very clear he knows little about the NBA.

If the Kings signed chandler he would claim it's a steal and the Kings would win the title. Just look at who they have signed and look at his reactions to each.

Hell, they could sign hitler and he would love it. Homer of the year.

NugzFan
07-12-2015, 02:41 PM

Have you been paying attention to the last 2 weeks? 46 million is nothing. Perfectly fair market value for a solid bench player who could even start some games.

NugzFan
07-12-2015, 02:43 PM
I tried to explain this.

Because on a 4 year locked in contract before the cap jump...it makes trading for him more attractive imo. I'm not sure why any team would give up anything for a 1 year rental of Wilson Chandler where if he has a good year...he's going to sign for way more money than the Nuggets just gave him.

But this is why I don't follow what the Nuggets are doing and why I said they might be gearing up for a playoff push. It doesn't make much sense...

It's like Fareid. I don't even like him that much, but on his contract at 4 years 48 or whatever he has left? Damn if that isn't a great contract given where this money is headed.

That is a great trade asset to have for this Nuggets team imo...and they should use it.

Well said.

We have an extremely flexible roster going forward. Lots of tradeable assets on really nice deals plus extra firsts.

People laughed at the faried deal - it's an absolute steal right now.

niko
07-12-2015, 05:55 PM
When are the Nuggets going to turn their pieces into a real roster? They are constantly in this mode of "building flexibility and assets". At some point they need to take those assets and build a team.

outbreak
07-12-2015, 06:04 PM
Decent deal. I think teams are thinking ahead too like has been mentioned here, they know if they get someone on a reasonable contract they become a trade asset and when the cap increase these guys will be very valuable. It makes me think back to Vucevic getting $50m/4 years and people here crying that was an over pay at the time though :roll:

NugzFan
07-12-2015, 06:09 PM
When are the Nuggets going to turn their pieces into a real roster? They are constantly in this mode of "building flexibility and assets". At some point they need to take those assets and build a team.

We are trying. Mudiay is a good first step.

It's not like you can just trade for a star whenever you want.

The worst thing we can do is straddle ourselves with terrible contract or rush giving away players for pennies on the dollar.

outbreak
07-12-2015, 06:15 PM
We are trying. Mudiay is a good first step.

It's not like you can just trade for a star whenever you want.

The worst thing we can do is straddle ourselves with terrible contract or rush giving away players for pennies on the dollar.
The worst thing they can do imo is sign too many mid guys like this and end up with a record that puts them later in the lottery. They are so lucky they got Mudiay this year.

SwishSquared
07-12-2015, 06:33 PM
Decent deal. I think teams are thinking ahead too like has been mentioned here, they know if they get someone on a reasonable contract they become a trade asset and when the cap increase these guys will be very valuable. It makes me think back to Vucevic getting $50m/4 years and people here crying that was an over pay at the time though :roll:Considering Kanter got $5M/year more than Vuc, that deal's a bargain.

Idk if Chandler will age well, but his skillset is useful on a contender imo coming off the bench. I think this contract will look very favorable by this upcoming deadline. I can't quite get a pulse on where they want this team to go. Almost all of their contracts are reasonable right now, so they can match salaries very nicely.

Nuggets have lots of guys who are secondary/tertiary/role player options, so that will inflate their win total instead of straight-up tanking. I see this team making some trades before next year's FA though.

NugzFan
07-12-2015, 07:46 PM
The worst thing they can do imo is sign too many mid guys like this and end up with a record that puts them later in the lottery. They are so lucky they got Mudiay this year.

Signing chandler isn't going to hurt us.

We have very few bad contracts on this roster.

NugzFan
07-12-2015, 07:46 PM
Considering Kanter got $5M/year more than Vuc, that deal's a bargain.

Idk if Chandler will age well, but his skillset is useful on a contender imo coming off the bench. I think this contract will look very favorable by this upcoming deadline. I can't quite get a pulse on where they want this team to go. Almost all of their contracts are reasonable right now, so they can match salaries very nicely.

Nuggets have lots of guys who are secondary/tertiary/role player options, so that will inflate their win total instead of straight-up tanking. I see this team making some trades before next year's FA though.

Agreed. :cheers:

kurple
07-12-2015, 07:53 PM
Mudiay, Nurkic and Jokic is a great start. along with Gallo

Mudiay
SG/Gary Harris
Gallo
Chandler/Faried
Nurkic/Jokic

+ we still get the better of NY and Denvers 1st next draft... Looks like the Knicks can do the tanking for us with their roster