PDA

View Full Version : Narcissism

CavaliersFTW
07-12-2015, 10:38 PM
How many know what it means, how many think they have it, how many recognize it when they see it in other people.

warriorfan
07-12-2015, 10:44 PM
wilt was

CavaliersFTW
07-12-2015, 11:03 PM
wilt was
Much of the time of course, as is most every top tier professional athlete I think that's almost got to be part of the psychology of the best athletes. You have to believe your the best to go out there and compete at a high level against the other best players in the world.

JEFFERSON MONEY
07-12-2015, 11:51 PM
Can't define it, but symptoms are easy to pick

Excessive self-love and a flavor of egocentricism.
Often associated with an only child.
Conversations will be extremely focused around them AKA not mutual.
Often have a skewed worldview of things that's disproportionately based upon that person's ego i.e. "not in my case >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> statistics or general observations and scientific truths"
Usually very very forward with their opinions
Often energy vampires
Often have relationships with more passive wandering souls who kinda egg the narcissist on.

CavaliersFTW
07-13-2015, 12:13 AM
Can't define it, but symptoms are easy to pick

Excessive self-love and a flavor of egocentricism.
Often associated with an only child.
Conversations will be extremely focused around them AKA not mutual.
Often have a skewed worldview of things that's disproportionately based upon that person's ego i.e. "not in my case >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> statistics or general observations and scientific truths"
Usually very very forward with their opinions
Often energy vampires
Often have relationships with more passive wandering souls who kinda egg the narcissist on.
I think it is more common in younger folks too. Like I notice people, myself included, tend/ed to display more self-centered behaviors as kids or young adults and either grow out of it or possibly (or hopefully) goes away through being humbled through life experiences.

Also aren't a lot of world leaders, at least of the dictator/totalitarian regime mold, very self centered by nature?

KiiiiNG
07-13-2015, 12:16 AM
I think it is more common in younger folks too. Like I notice people, myself included, tend to display narcissistic behaviors such as you mentioned and either grow out of it or possibly it goes away through being humbled by life experiences.
In your case not being the most coordinated athlete probably humbled you.

JEFFERSON MONEY
07-13-2015, 12:20 AM
I think it is more common in younger folks too. Like I notice people, myself included, tend to display more self-centered behaviors as kids or young adults and either grow out of it or possibly (or hopefully) goes away through being humbled through life experiences.

Also aren't a lot of world leaders, at least of the dictator/totalitarian regime mold, very self centered by nature?

Nice resource

http://therawness.com/the-easiest-fastest-way-to-understand-narcissists/

KevinNYC
07-13-2015, 12:21 AM
How many know what it means, how many think they have it, how many recognize it when they see it in other people.
I've spoken about it here several times; serial killers often have "malignant narcissism." That LA cop who went on a kill spree and was eventually killed up at that cabin was a malignant narcissist according to a profiler who read his manifesto.

CavaliersFTW
07-13-2015, 12:25 AM
In your case not being the most coordinated athlete probably humbled you.
:oldlol:

Four sports did humble me, Track (I showed potential in middle school, then didn't do sports for a few years and was terrible the first year when I jumped in at Varsity level to the point I injured myself) Volleyball, Soccer and Basketball. Basketball I still play and still enjoy no matter how bad I look.

RidonKs
07-13-2015, 12:36 AM
How many know what it means
75%

how many think they have it
25%

how many recognize it when they see it in other people
95%

RidonKs
07-13-2015, 12:39 AM
:oldlol:

Four sports did humble me, Track (I showed potential in middle school, then didn't do sports for a few years and was terrible the first year when I jumped in at Varsity level to the point I injured myself) Volleyball, Soccer and Basketball. Basketball I still play and still enjoy no matter how bad I look.
i watched your clips and i play with a guy in a similar boat. you're clearly 3x the player he is, in terms of hustle and positioning and understanding. people don't seem to grasp that 5v5 pick up does not require a great deal of skill. invariably somebody on your squad will be able to score. by understanding their spots and putting the ball in their hands with precision, you're helping your team just as much.

but no, as soon as some spoiled jackass sees a handle, he says "this guy doesnt know what hes doing"

Euroleague
07-14-2015, 01:06 AM
You should be fearful of the ones that hide behind masks and facades. Not the ones that show themselves to everyone and are obvious.

https://media0.giphy.com/media/oLu1UxKiZvXLq/200.gif

knickballer
07-14-2015, 01:13 AM
Apparently, this generation is the most narcissistic in human history(or something along those lines) as parents are over nurturing their kids and brainwashing their kids to believe they are the greatest thing ever. And of course every parent thinks their kid is destined to be great or the next star. Maybe the newer generations are being robbed of "grit" because they have everything handed to them?

1987_Lakers
07-14-2015, 01:23 AM
http://psychcentral.com/quizzes/narcissistic.htm

Take the test. I scored a 10.

Euroleague
07-14-2015, 01:40 AM
Apparently, this generation is the most narcissistic in human history(or something along those lines) as parents are over nurturing their kids and brainwashing their kids to believe they are the greatest thing ever. And of course every parent thinks their kid is destined to be great or the next star. Maybe the newer generations are being robbed of "grit" because they have everything handed to them?

https://media0.giphy.com/media/cmm5aNR7T4hDq/200.gif

Euroleague
07-14-2015, 01:46 AM
I got a 29.

Your Total: 29

Between 12 and 15 is average.
Celebrities often score closer to 18.
Narcissists score over 20.
Because you scored 18 or higher, you may want to check out the symptoms of narcissistic personality disorder.

Here is what I think about this test..........

https://media1.giphy.com/media/owiMPjWC77KQU/200.gif

https://media0.giphy.com/media/JMncp17zXFPc4/200.gif

iamgine
07-14-2015, 02:28 AM
Self centeredness and loving oneself is natural. Narcissism is just an excessive form of it.

Like...

Not able to sleep at times is normal, but if you can't sleep all the time then you have insomnia.

RidonKs
07-14-2015, 02:32 AM
Self centeredness and loving oneself is natural. Narcissism is just an excessive form of it.

Like...

Not able to sleep at times is normal, but if you can't sleep all the time then you have insomnia.
this is a fantastic point and, imo, a segue into why the disorder kevin posted above -- malignant narcissism -- could be an overstep of boundaries by the medical community. they are classifying a variety of complicated systems under the rubric of a word everybody uses instinctively to imply a universal trait. which is self-centeredness, as you said. you have anti-social behaviour continuing to psychopathy. medical classification is interesting in this regard.

but narcissism itself has a lot of facets. i bet if j$ entered this thread under the right prompt, he could rattle off a half dozen ancient fables about the perils of narcissism.

KNOW1EDGE
07-14-2015, 03:05 AM
I scored a 17.

I will be the first to admit I can be narcissistic at times. We all can be. But on the scale from 1-Kanye I'm about a 4 narcissist, not bad.

Side note: Euroleague- I genuinely enjoy your posts when they aren't euroleague related(the basketball league, not you, ya narcissistic euro)

KevinNYC
07-14-2015, 08:23 AM
Yeah, a profiler... That's probably unbiased.

His goal definitely wasn't to make the LAPD and other organizations look better by comparison.
????

Better than the guy who chose his own lawyer's daughter as his first victim? Better than the guy whose own family wanted nothing to do with him? Better than the malignant narcissist who alerted cable news before his kill spree and who felt that celebrities would want to know his opinion of the show biz careers?

ISHGoat
07-14-2015, 08:37 AM
I scored a 14. Anyone else surprised that euroleague claims he scored a 29? i bet if we got Kennethgriff and other clowns like 3ball and Real they'd all score very high. It's been said for so long, ISH is basically an online mental asylum waiting to be the next psychological case study