PDA

View Full Version : George Carlin Appreciation Thread

PullupJay
07-13-2015, 09:52 PM
http://i.lv3.hbo.com/assets/images/comedy/george-carlin-tribute/george-carlin-tribute-1024.jpg

The paradox of our time in history is that we have taller buildings but shorter tempers, wider Freeways, but narrower viewpoints. We spend more, but have less, we buy more, but enjoy less. We have bigger houses and smaller families, more conveniences, but less time. We have more degrees but less sense, more knowledge, but less judgment, more experts, yet more problems, more medicine, but less wellness.

We drink too much, smoke too much, spend too recklessly, laugh too little, drive too fast, get too angry, stay up too late, get up too tired, read too little, watch TV too much, and pray too seldom.

We have multiplied our possessions, but reduced our values. We talk too much, love too seldom, and hate too often.

We've learned how to make a living, but not a life. We've added years to life not life to years. We've been all the way to the moon and back, but have trouble crossing the street to meet a new neighbor. We conquered outer space but not inner space. We've done larger things, but not better things.

We've cleaned up the air, but polluted the soul. We've conquered the atom, but not our prejudice. We write more, but learn less. We plan more, but accomplish less. We've learned to rush, but not to wait. We build more computers to hold more information, to produce more copies than ever, but we communicate less and less.

These are the times of fast foods and slow digestion, big men and small character, steep profits and shallow relationships. These are the days of two incomes but more divorce, fancier houses, but broken homes. These are days of quick trips, disposable diapers, throwaway morality, one night stands, overweight bodies, and pills that do everything from cheer, to quiet, to kill. It is a time when there is much in the showroom window and nothing in the stockroom. A time when technology can bring this letter to you, and a time when you can choose either to share this insight, or to just hit delete.

Remember to spend some time with your loved ones, because they are not going to be around forever.

Remember, say a kind word to someone who looks up to you in awe, because that little person soon will grow up and leave your side.

Remember, to give a warm hug to the one next to you, because that is the only treasure you can give with your heart and it doesn't cost a cent.

Remember, to say, 'I love you' to your partner and your loved ones, but most of all mean it. A kiss and an embrace will mend hurt when it comes from deep inside of you.

Remember to hold hands and cherish the moment for someday that person will not be there again.

Give time to love, give time to speak! And give time to share the precious thoughts in your mind.

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.

Akrazotile
07-13-2015, 10:45 PM
If he were an unknown comic in 2015 the PC brigade would despise him. Theyd talk about what a tonedeaf insensitive prick he is and claim hes just flat out not funny.

RidonKs
07-13-2015, 10:52 PM
If he were an unknown comic in 2015 the PC loserbrigade would despise him. Deucewallace would talk about what a tonedeaf insensitive prick he is and claim hes just flat out not funny.

Ofc since hes Carlin hipsters feel obligated to revere him. But it's just funny that the dude was basically the kind of politically incorrect libertarian that all his fans would resent in today's day and age.
:violin:

whatever hipster might mean to you, i hang with a lot of them and know for a fact that they would eat carlin right up. he's preaching their message and he's carefully raunchy about it. hipsters love that shit. and carlin was not a libertarian in the modern american sense of the word, though he shared their sympathies.

thorpe is the best guy you an ask about carlin. i was always averse to his style, even though his material is right up my ally. then i read the aforementioned explanation and caught on to what was happening. carlin never adlibs his material. he has the timing of every enunciation down to a tee. there's a great interview of him on youtube where he talks about spending most of his weekend afternoons at the corner telling stories and jokes he'd heard and then eventually making them up. he's obsessed with the perfect monologue, the ups and downs of the emotional roller coaster you can put people on when they're really paying attention. as an attention whore himself, carlin plays it like a violin.

Akrazotile
07-13-2015, 11:02 PM
:violin:

whatever hipster might mean to you, i hang with a lot of them and know for a fact that they would eat carlin right up. he's preaching their message and he's carefully raunchy about it. hipsters love that shit. and carlin was not a libertarian in the modern american sense of the word, though he shared their sympathies.

thorpe is the best guy you an ask about carlin. i was always averse to his style, even though his material is right up my ally. then i read the aforementioned explanation and caught on to what was happening. carlin never adlibs his material. he has the timing of every enunciation down to a tee. there's a great interview of him on youtube where he talks about spending most of his weekend afternoons at the corner telling stories and jokes he'd heard and then eventually making them up. he's obsessed with the perfect monologue, the ups and downs of the emotional roller coaster you can put people on when they're really paying attention. as an attention whore himself, carlin plays it like a violin.

He makes fun of fat people, he says we should lock all the bums and mentally disturbed people up in the square states in the middle of the country and turn it into reality television. And I believe he has a bit lampooning welfare altho I'm not positive of that one.

I mean I like him, but I dont think someone like deucewallace would like him if he took the stage today as an unknown comic with no reputation. Too many people obsessed with being offended today.

Styles p
07-13-2015, 11:18 PM
my dude george carlin.

knickballer
07-13-2015, 11:48 PM
You should listen to Bill Burr. Not as philosophical as Carlin but I think Burr is much funnier.. He's not PC to the least and says fcuk you to the sensitive souls who get their panties wet at a joke. Lately he's starting to talk about the more sensitive issues like bankers, corporations, politics, tony monstano(joke for GMO) and how idiotic people are.

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
07-13-2015, 11:49 PM
Hes in the Mt Rushmore of comedians:applause:

fsvr54
07-14-2015, 01:01 AM
The absolute GOAT, 'nuff said.