PDA

View Full Version : Why do people say that modern basketball isnt as good as it used to be??

NZStreetBaller
07-18-2015, 04:59 AM
Honestly i believe its that after jordan we've all had our standards set so friken high that we kind of yawn at things like a single championship or mvp awards or anything like that and are instead consistently searching for something greater then jordan. I mean seriously.

Since jordan any time a player reaches a certain level of greatness i.e. kobe or lebron no matter what they seem to do they rise above all their present competitors of their own respective eras. And one mention of certain all time greats magic bird kareem levels them out. Or if we want to slam the door michael jordan is all it takes to completely discard all modern superstars.

And then apparently playing in a time when people got away with nasty fouls makes you a better player.

superteamtheory
07-18-2015, 06:45 AM
It's the inconsistent defences and lack of hustle play from the stars...
That's what gets people going the most I think..

But there's more to it, like, nostalgia factors... people get older and want to narcissistically believe their era was the special one and everything was so much better back then etc.

And then also, there's some truth to that. The league was incredible from about 1991-2011 and then things have started falling apart since then... So, the last few years have still been great all and all but we're starting to see what the league will be like in the near future and it does seem like some watered down unexciting personality-less stars are about to inherit the wealth..

I for one miss the "characters" or larger than life types of yesteryear... The league shares that one aspect with WWF and it really is an important part of the league. I have no feel for the guys coming into the league now, they may as well be robots..

Quickening
07-18-2015, 06:53 AM
The casual fan could relate to it more in the 80s and 90s where people just played 1v1 defence, throwing elbows etc... now with the complex defensive schemes people struggle to really understand what is going on, and cannot relate it to their play in the park.

diamenz
07-18-2015, 11:56 AM
because this:

https://youtu.be/9JttE4UT74k?t=3m18s

superteamtheory
07-18-2015, 12:14 PM
because this:

https://youtu.be/9JttE4UT74k?t=3m18s

i mean, absolutely, that is it, the "touch foul" rules that came into play under the later Jordan era (and as a consequence of the Bad Boys) to protect the league's most prized possession as he got older ... and which then became the norm during the Kobe era (guys like Dirk benefitted from it too, any difficult to guard guy with a good pump fake game) ... but which LeBron does not consistently benefit from for some strange reason, discouraging him from driving more ... that change or inconsistency in the whistle has ruined the game on some levels..

the simple solution is to just go back to how it used to be ... but then that means old Jordan, Kobe always and Bron sometimes got special treatment ...

I also think it's the lack of hand checking , as Hubie points out , that resulted in the league's increase in scoring, not the changes in defensive schemes -- the complex defensive schemes (which allow for versatility and covering 3 pointers -- something that wasn't a problem pre-Noughties) would be a lot more effective with hand checking on the perimeter (if Iggy vs. Bron proved anything)... that's the thing guys like 3Ball are missing...

so the league has to make up their mind going forward: are we playing Bron soft like Kobe or are we randomly going back to the stone ages?

triangleoffense
07-18-2015, 12:44 PM
1. No centers
2. Soft perimeter play
3. Too many regular season games.

HurricaneKid
07-18-2015, 01:25 PM
People who say that are old and don't understand basketball. The game is a FAR better game today than it ever has been.

JellyBean
07-18-2015, 01:28 PM
For me it is the pacing of the games, poor shooting, less than interested players, and a lot of the business side stuff.

Rose'sACL
07-18-2015, 01:33 PM
For me it is the pacing of the games, poor shooting, less than interested players, and a lot of the business side stuff.
why do you have problem with those? Do you even watch today's basketball?

Barkley went golfing with jordan. Players know what they are doing on the court. they don't play soft because someone on the other team had dinner with them or knows them.

Almost everyone plays harder when they have a friend on the other team. Durant and LeBron have had great performances against them. Calling each other names for no reason doesn't make you tough, it makes you immature if you have to do that to play hard.

GIF REACTION
07-18-2015, 01:35 PM
The game is just different. Centers magically disapeared because the rules changed.

G0ATbe
07-18-2015, 01:36 PM
Just people trying to convince themselves that the era they grew up watching was and always will be the best ever. Deep down they know it's bullshit.