PDA

View Full Version : Anyone work at a YMCA camp?

enayes
07-18-2015, 11:20 PM
I have a Bachelors in Childhood Ed. and a Master's in Special Ed. but I have decided I do not want to be a teacher, at least right now.

I am considering applying for some Director/Leadership roles at YMCA camps. Does anyone work at one or have an experience/advice to offer? :D

Any other job recommendations would be great too, I am also looking at working with at-risk youth/juveniles in some capacity.

Solidape
07-18-2015, 11:54 PM
I have a Bachelors in Childhood Ed. and a Master's in Special Ed. but I have decided I do not want to be a teacher, at least right now.

I am considering applying for some Director/Leadership roles at YMCA camps. Does anyone work at one or have an experience/advice to offer? :D

Any other job recommendations would be great too, I am also looking at working with at-risk youth/juveniles in some capacity.

I used to work at the YMCA summer camps for many years, was an Awesome job, but I didn't have much responsibility other than play sports with the kids which was a good way to stay in shape.

I was doing this while going to university so it was just a part time job that I enjoyed, would still be doing it if it paid like engineering, but it was a minimum wage job.

sundizz
07-18-2015, 11:55 PM
Lol you did all that so you could work at the Y :roll: :roll:

ISHGoat
07-18-2015, 11:58 PM
Lol you did all that so you could work at the Y :roll: :roll:
:lol :lol :lol

OP if you have a masters in education look into a government position or something that sounds better than "i play basketball with kids at the Y"

Also you probably wont get a director position unless you got a bunch of experience.

DeuceWallaces
07-19-2015, 12:10 AM
You could teach the at risk kids how to steal, and look for career advice on basketball message boards.

DCL
07-19-2015, 12:24 AM
aim higher

KendrickPerkins
07-19-2015, 12:29 AM
The chances you work with a cute chick are extremely high.

Go for it.

KendrickPerkins
07-19-2015, 12:30 AM

Nice.

enayes
07-19-2015, 10:40 AM
Need more advice. I would like my job to be relatively easy. I don't need very much money to live. I felt more than comfortable making $12.95 an hour at my last job. I could pay all my bills and had plenty to save.

RidonKs
07-19-2015, 10:45 AM
if you have a clean record and good references, it should not be difficult to find yourself youth work. but for a management position that isn't just a summer/seasonal camp, you'll need to work your way up within that organization since it doesn't appear you have any experience. you went to school for front line work, not for administration.

your best bet is not asking people on insidehoops. your best bet is hitting up the online job bank for an hour, cruising through jotting down the names of organizations, then cold calling them and explaining your situation. or better yet do one of those 'blind interviews', i think that's the name i heard for it. call em up, say you work with youth and you're interested in their organization, regardless of whether they're hiring right now could i drop by and listen to you talk about the work you do, bla bla bla bla. guaranteed more than one will be willing to sit down with you afterward and discuss your own employment possibilities. but only if you're willing to give them the time of day as well.

i'm with you on money though. $13/hr is plenty. then again i don't have a family....

24-Inch_Chrome
07-19-2015, 10:53 AM
I know a few people who have worked at YMCA camps, haven't heard anything positive about it from them. I work at a summer camp as a counsellor, love the job.

RidonKs
07-19-2015, 11:03 AM
I know a few people who have worked at YMCA camps, haven't heard anything positive about it from them. I work at a summer camp as a counsellor, love the job.
i dunno what the ymca is like in the states but the one here in town has reach into all kinds of different areas. they're building a brand new facility next year with a ton of affordable housing above a massive gym, a day care, an employment center, etc etc etc

Cali Syndicate
07-19-2015, 11:12 AM

If you're looking into director type position, you won't be working as much with kids as you will be on the administrative aspect in coordinating the camps activities and and operations of it.

Cali Syndicate
07-19-2015, 11:15 AM
aim higher

Program director at YMCA is like a $70-$80k position.it's not bad.

Executive branch directors easily clear $100k...some branches pay close to $150.

Look for 80 hour weeks for both positions though.

DCL
07-19-2015, 11:43 AM
Need more advice. I would like my job to be relatively easy. I don't need very much money to live. I felt more than comfortable making $12.95 an hour at my last job. I could pay all my bills and had plenty to save.

aren't you about to get married?

don't you plan to have kids?

you need to get rid of that mentality that "$13/hour is enough for me."

bigkingsfan
07-19-2015, 01:47 PM
Heard Carnival is hiring.

STATUTORY
07-19-2015, 02:12 PM
you want a job about advising and guiding youths and you're asking for advice on insidehoops?

:roll: n99a u straight wasted them years getting the degrees

enayes
07-21-2015, 02:18 AM
you want a job about advising and guiding youths and you're asking for advice on insidehoops?

:roll: n99a u straight wasted them years getting the degrees

3K posts in 8 years.

I've been doing much more guiding than searching for answers on here.

Stempel, HERB
07-24-2015, 05:06 PM

Son, you're working with @ risk youth/juveniles "in some capacity."

You're better off working on your own capacity to stay away from risky youthful STD's.

Starting with dumping your diseased "au naturale" girlfriend.

Au naturale defined as, with plenty of natural fecal matter on her body of course.