PDA

View Full Version : Does Jahlil Okafor have the potential to be the GOAT NBA player to come from Duke?

hateraid
07-21-2015, 09:45 PM
His credentials are all there. He's probably the most highly sought after recruit to go to Duke other than Christian Laettner. He's won them the chip. His skillset is so unique and he has gone to a franchise capable to build around him.
Duke has pumped out some greats, but had less than stellar NBA careers. Can Okafor go down as the greatest NBA player to come from Duke?

Cocaine80s
07-21-2015, 09:46 PM
Him, Kyrie, and Parker all will have great careers

Im next in line tho :pimp:

Milbuck
07-21-2015, 09:49 PM
Jabari >>>>>

FireDavidKahn
07-21-2015, 09:50 PM
No.:oldlol:

JimmyMcAdocious
07-21-2015, 09:52 PM
Rivers, McRoberts, Parker, Irving, Singler, and Deng were all near or the top of their class. I believe Rivals (lol Rivals) had Rivers above Anthony Davis. Deng was the consensus #2 in the same high school class as LeBron. McRoberts was the top ranked senior his year.

I think Zo was #1 in Laettner's year.

JohnMax
07-21-2015, 09:54 PM
Marion, Kawhi, Iguodala and Pierce (2008) had their best playoff series against Lebron. Because Shane Battier was not there to take his assignment.

JimmyMcAdocious
07-21-2015, 10:00 PM
Also relevant since this topic reminded me:

At best, the Knicks would get the first pick and tab center Jahlil Okafor, although Jackson thinks he might not be aggressive enough. "Also, if you look at the guys who came to the NBA from Duke, aside from Grant Hill, which ones lived up to expectations?"

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/13269490/the-phil-files-part-4-trade-shook-new-york

TripleA
07-21-2015, 10:03 PM
Grant hill?

hateraid
07-21-2015, 10:13 PM
Grant hill?

Grant Hill is not a very high bar set as an NBA career considering how storied the Duke program is

outbreak
07-21-2015, 10:21 PM
Grant Hill is not a very high bar set as an NBA career considering how storied the Duke program is
If it weren't for the injuries he'd have had a better career. Historically Dukes been great at finding talent that is perfect for the college system but not so much for NBA. The landscape has changed though these days.

Carbine
07-21-2015, 10:24 PM
That's a pretty disrespectful thing to say ^

Grant was an absolute dominant player in Detroit. He stays healthy and he goes down as one of the 50 best ever easily even without a ring.

Okafor would be extremely extremely extremely lucky to have the career Grant Hill had.

Fudge
07-21-2015, 10:26 PM
Justise Winslow >

midatlantic09
07-21-2015, 10:29 PM
Yes, he has the potential to do so, BUT it'll all depend on his conditioning, his ability to lose 15-20 pounds and keep it off, and his ability to hit free throws. If he can do those things, he has a decent chance.

hateraid
07-21-2015, 10:38 PM
That's a pretty disrespectful thing to say ^

Grant was an absolute dominant player in Detroit. He stays healthy and he goes down as one of the 50 best ever easily even without a ring.

Okafor would be extremely extremely extremely lucky to have the career Grant Hill had.

I don't think so at all when you compare to historically elite NCAA college basketball programs have put out like North Carolina, Kansas, Kentucky, UCLA, Indiana.....
Where would Grant Hill rank amongst North Carolina if he went to their program? I'd rank him amongst the Vince Carters in NBA achievements.
Not trying to disrespect Hill, just making it relevant to the subject. Realistically if Grant Hill had the best NBA career out of the whole history of the almighty Duke, then Duke failed to have produces an all NBA great NBA player. Top 50 doesn't cut it for this franchise

hateraid
07-21-2015, 10:41 PM
Rivers, McRoberts, Parker, Irving, Singler, and Deng were all near or the top of their class. I believe Rivals (lol Rivals) had Rivers above Anthony Davis. Deng was the consensus #2 in the same high school class as LeBron. McRoberts was the top ranked senior his year.

I think Zo was #1 in Laettner's year.
I don't think any of them were as highly recruited as Okafor considering he was scouted several years before college and the consensus #1 in the country by 3 major ranking outlets

hateraid
07-21-2015, 10:42 PM
If it weren't for the injuries he'd have had a better career. Historically Dukes been great at finding talent that is perfect for the college system but not so much for NBA. The landscape has changed though these days.
So basically you're agreeing with what I'm saying

SugarHill
07-21-2015, 10:43 PM
Didn't even read the name and assumed it was about Jabari and I came to hate

Prime_Shaq
07-21-2015, 11:00 PM
Did you watch young Grant Hill? Pre injuries?

hateraid
07-21-2015, 11:35 PM
Did you watch young Grant Hill? Pre injuries?
That's not the point.
Would you say his career is top 50 worthy?
And I've been watching NBA since the '83 finals. So yes, I've seen a little Grant Hill. Like I said, he wouldn't be ranked highly amongst franchises of comparable college teams for an NBA career. So my comment is relevant to that.

Milbuck
07-21-2015, 11:58 PM
Didn't even read the name and assumed it was about Jabari and I came to hate
:whatever:

Tking714
07-22-2015, 12:22 AM
No. He's gonna be another good scoring PF. But he doesn't have the defensive instincts/speed. Brand was a defensive machine to go along with his jumpshot and burliness.

Another Carlos Boozer, Corey Maggette.

hateraid
07-22-2015, 11:55 AM
No. He's gonna be another good scoring PF. But he doesn't have the defensive instincts/speed. Brand was a defensive machine to go along with his jumpshot and burliness.

Another Carlos Boozer, Corey Maggette.
One thing that counts against Brand is his resume. Something this community puts a ton of value on. Sixers are in a great position to build around him. This could be a championship calibre team in 4 years with all the current assets and cap space. With a core of Noel and Okafor this is a great start.

artificial
07-22-2015, 11:58 AM
Kyrie Irving sets the bar reasonably high. Not out of reach, but Jahlil will have to prove himself legit to get there.

I'll be reasonably happy if Okafor is as good as Elton Brand was through his Bulls - Clippers days. I hope I'm wrong but Okafor seems like a guy that will be productive but not dominant so Brand seems like a reasonable expectation (although Brand always held his own on D).

So career wise I guess he has a shot, although a fairly difficult one, to be the GOAT NBA Duke player.

Oh, and if Jahlil ever scratches prime Grant Hill level of dominance I'll be creaming my pants.

hateraid
07-22-2015, 12:06 PM
Kyrie Irving sets the bar reasonably high. Not out of reach, but Jahlil will have to prove himself legit to get there.

I'll be reasonably happy if Okafor is as good as Elton Brand was through his Bulls - Clippers days. I hope I'm wrong but Okafor seems like a guy that will be productive but not dominant so Brand seems like a reasonable expectation (although Brand always held his own on D).

So career wise I guess he has a shot, although a fairly difficult one, to be the GOAT NBA Duke player.

Oh, and if Jahlil ever scratches prime Grant Hill level of dominance I'll be creaming my pants.

This is peak over career. If JO wins one championship as the clear cut leader than he's exceeded every Duke player named and and staked his claim. Like I mentioned, it seems like alot of credit goes towards championships won on ISH.
But yeah, if he is Clipper Brand level it would be considered a succeful draft. I do believe he has a unique offensive skillset that will separate him in this league. His footwork is crazy. I'm super excited about this guy and our future

artificial
07-22-2015, 12:14 PM
This is peak over career. If JO wins one championship as the clear cut leader than he's exceeded every Duke player named and and staked his claim. Like I mentioned, it seems like alot of credit goes towards championships won on ISH.
But yeah, if he is Clipper Brand level it would be considered a succeful draft. I do believe he has a unique offensive skillset that will separate him in this league. His footwork is crazy. I'm super excited about this guy and our future
I'll just hope you are right. I'm not that excited *yet* about our future. More like in skeptic trying to be optimistic. I was extremely high on Embiid so that definitely hurt, but let's see how things shape up in the next 2 - 3 years...

And if Jah wins us a championship the goat duke player will be the least of my concerns. I'll be on a plain on my way to celebrate in philly with you, and starting a campaign to canonize Okafor :oldlol:

Jailblazers7
07-22-2015, 12:25 PM
I think he would be very fortunate to have the type of career production that Elton Brand had.