PDA

View Full Version : So Sandra Bland goes to jail because she wouldn't put out her cigarette, in her car?

TheMan
07-21-2015, 11:41 PM
:facepalm

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/newly-released-dashcam-video-shows-sandra-bland-arrest-n396191

She got pulled over for a minor traffic violation. She seems annoyed and also the cop, shit escalated pretty quickly after she refused to put out her cigarette in her own car.

Are we losing our rights gestapo style? WTF, why couldn't this cop just give her citations if she wasn't cooperating? Are people getting arrested all the time for minor shit like this? Are Americans gladly giving up their rights to the police? I don't know about you guys but I don't like the idea of living in a Police State :facepalm

enayes
07-22-2015, 12:07 AM
When a cop pulls you over you need to be respectful and follow simple commands.

Giving "black entitlement" attitude. Strike 1.
Smoking while a cop is talking to you is disrespectful. Strike 2.
Being asked to put out a cigarette is a simple command. Strike 3.

:applause:

navy
07-22-2015, 12:12 AM
Why do people think cops are above citizens?

You dont need to be respectful. As if respect is relevant on how a cop is suppose to act.

Fvck da police. RIP Sandra.

enayes
07-22-2015, 12:17 AM

You dont need to be respectful. As if respect is relevant on how a cop is suppose to act.

If you want to possibly avoid getting a ticket or being charged with something extra like this dumb black bitch, then yes you do.

Akrazotile
07-22-2015, 12:25 AM

Their jobs are stresful af. EVERY TURD tryin to prove hes a tough guy tries to give them shit for doing their jobs, all day, every day. These dudes are human and they eventually get sick of it. You wanna be a clown, do it at your own risk.

That being said, ther clearly are dickhead cops who powertrip for fun. If a cop is the one trying to be a tough guy and talks to you like an asshole, just shrug it off. Let him embarrass himself. If he actually does unwarranted/inappropriate stuff to you then by all means pursue the issue afterward.

But if you get pulled over, dont be a hotshot hero and do some rebellious teen NWA act. Comply with what he asks, get it over with and get on your way.

TripleA
07-22-2015, 12:28 AM
If you want to possibly avoid getting a ticket or being charged with something extra like this dumb black bitch, then yes you do.

Cops are abusing their power with white people too Asshat.
Nice words their at the end.

Got this baby quoted clown.

TripleA
07-22-2015, 12:31 AM
Their jobs are stresful af. EVERY TURD tryin to prove hes a tough guy tries to give them shit for doing their jobs, all day, every day. These dudes are human and they eventually get sick of it. You wanna be a clown, do it at your own risk.

That being said, ther clearly are dickhead cops who powertrip for fun. If a cop is the one trying to be a tough guy and talks to you like an asshole, just shrug it off. Let him embarrass himself. If he actually does unwarranted/inappropriate stuff to you then by all means pursue the issue afterward.

But if you get pulled over, dont be a hotshot hero and do some rebellious teen NWA act. Comply with what he asks, get it over with and get on your way.

Yes you should be respectful to cops but I do not understand why they are put on such a pedestal when veterans get treated like shit when they come home.
Police deserve respect like every other employee of the public but they do not deserve to get their individual actions washed away because they are cops.

SugarHill
07-22-2015, 12:39 AM

:rolleyes:

Bandito
07-22-2015, 12:54 AM
Suicide? That is just so weird. Why would she commit suicide like that?

9erempiree
07-22-2015, 12:59 AM
I saw the video and the cop didn't do anything wrong. He actually showed a lot of restraint from what I am use to seeing. First of all she was being very disrespectful to authority. While I don't a suspect's behavior should dictate how an officer should act but he did kindly ask her to put out the cigarette. Then he tells her to get out of the car. The cop has a right to do ask of this.

TripleA
07-22-2015, 01:01 AM
I saw the video and the cop didn't do anything wrong. He actually showed a lot of restraint from what I am use to seeing. First of all she was being very disrespectful to authority. While I don't a suspect's behavior should dictate how an officer should act but he did kindly ask her to put out the cigarette. Then he tells her to get out of the car. The cop has a right to do ask of this.

Fair points.

9erempiree
07-22-2015, 01:07 AM
Typing on the phone so I apologize for the mistakes.

9erempiree
07-22-2015, 01:25 AM
She did two things wrong here that can get you arrested or handcuffed. Remember, being handcuffed does not mean being arrested.

Two things she did that warrants being cuffed:

AGGRESSION- is every reason to apprehend a suspect and cuff them.

NON COOPERATION- she is failing to let the peace officer do his job. She is actually interfering by refusal to cooperate.

Also, she did acknowledge what she did was wrong and illegal, minor or not, therefore why didn't she just own up to it and receive the ticket. She could also try to talk herself out of it and even after admitting her guilt she had the nerve to berate the officer.

TheMan
07-22-2015, 06:44 AM
I just have a problem with non violent individuals being taken to jail though. Even if she's acting the fool. Giving her citations/tickets/fines isn't enough? Also, this incident escalated after she refused to put out her cigarette in her own car, it's not like she was acting in a tthreatening way to the cop.

I just think we as citizens are giving way to much of our freedoms to the police. I'm a bit suspicious about that, don't like giving the state the right to do anything. BTW, legal experts on CNN were saying the cop went to far in arresting her, even as she was acting up and giving him an attitude.

I'll give an example of a scenario...if some guy jaywalks, he get's stopped, the cop asks for his ID, he checks out ok, no warrants or prior arrests, the dude gets annoyed for being stopped, cusses at the cop...is it ok in you guys' eyes that he gets arrested for being belligerent? A non criminal person doing something minor like jaywalking, and now the situation escalates to the point of going to jail because he acts like rebellious teen to the cop? In the Bland situation, she wasn't acting in a physically threatening way to the cop. Couldn't the cop just give her a ticket without arresting her? I don't know know man, that doesn't strike me as right.

West-Side
07-22-2015, 08:14 AM
I'm actually getting sick of hearing black people complain about cops.
I see just as many white people get treated like shit when they show complete disrespect and disregard. The problem with so many black people is their so called "entitlement". I have almost never seen a black person doing what the cop told them to do. They always start questioning everything and being complete idiots.

But that's what the media created I guess; still, just by reading this article I could already picture "a black woman probably thinks she got pulled over because she's black". Minor infraction is still an infraction and I got pulled over for going 10 KPH above the speed limit (going 102 on 90 zone) by a black cop. :rolleyes:

I didn't give the man any attitude and followed all of his instructions.
Not that hard, really.

UK2K
07-22-2015, 08:26 AM
Bland acknowledges that she's annoyed because he was tailing her, then pulled her over. Encinia then asked Bland to put out her cigarette. When she refuses, he tells her to step out of the car. "I don't want to step out of my car," Bland says, adding, "I refuse to talk to you other than to identify myself."

Boom, you just ****ed yourself.

When you pretend to know the law, but really don't, you're only going to get yourself into more trouble.

You know what I'd say as a cop (when I was)....

"Smoking a cigarette is a common trick for criminals to cover up other smells emitting from the vehicle."

Done. Get out. Get your car tossed.

It can be as easy or hard as you want it to be. Just last week I was speeding on the interstate and I looked in my rear view mirror to see a black Camaro speeding up behind me. It was a cop. I slowed down to about 75 (speed limit was 55 but everyone speeds). Then he pulled up next to me, we made eye contact, he flashed his lights, I did a 'my bad' motion, and slowed down to 65.

I drive a black Corolla with limo tint windows (illegal in this state, but not where my car is registered, which is Texas). HID headlights. Looks like a drug dealer's car. Could he have pulled me over? I would have. But he was nice about it, I showed respect, and he let me go on to work.

As I said, it can be as easy or hard as you want to make it.

Real Men Wear Green
07-22-2015, 08:40 AM
The video was edited. (http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/sandra-bland-death-texas-look-alleged-edits-dashcam-video-n396291) That's a massive problem. Especially seeing as they are claiming she killed herself. Any right-thinking person has to wonder why the video was edited and what got edited out.

UK2K
07-22-2015, 08:46 AM
The video was edited. (http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/sandra-bland-death-texas-look-alleged-edits-dashcam-video-n396291) That's a massive problem. Especially seeing as they are claiming she killed herself. Any right-thinking person has to wonder why the video was edited and what got edited out.

Either that is a glitch in the recording tape, or someone is incredibly stupid, because that's really, really obvious.

I can't imagine someone would edit the tape, watch it, and say 'Yeah that looks good'.

But then stranger things have happened.

She was a black activist from Chicago, so this could get interesting.

West-Side
07-22-2015, 08:49 AM
I just have a problem with non violent individuals being taken to jail though. Even if she's acting the fool. Giving her citations/tickets/fines isn't enough? Also, this incident escalated after she refused to put out her cigarette in her own car, it's not like she was acting in a tthreatening way to the cop.

I just think we as citizens are giving way to much of our freedoms to the police. I'm a bit suspicious about that, don't like giving the state the right to do anything. BTW, legal experts on CNN were saying the cop went to far in arresting her, even as she was acting up and giving him an attitude.

I'll give an example of a scenario...if some guy jaywalks, he get's stopped, the cop asks for his ID, he checks out ok, no warrants or prior arrests, the dude gets annoyed for being stopped, cusses at the cop...is it ok in you guys' eyes that he gets arrested for being belligerent? A non criminal person doing something minor like jaywalking, and now the situation escalates to the point of going to jail because he acts like rebellious teen to the cop? In the Bland situation, she wasn't acting in a physically threatening way to the cop. Couldn't the cop just give her a ticket without arresting her? I don't know know man, that doesn't strike me as right.

She didn't only refuse to put out her cigarette, she was rude about the cop pulling her over. Some people forget that it's the cops job to investigate suspicious activities. I was pulled over for minor offenses before and was giving a pardon because I was polite and understood that I was in the wrong. Many black people don't. They automatically demonstrate attitude and anger towards the police. And the thing that infuriates me more than anything listening to these "black life matters" bullshit is most of the time they are in the wrong and still try to pretend like they aren't. They genuinely just hate police, especially white police officers and even if they committed a crime they will try to act all entitled. And like I said, I don't really blame them; I mostly blame the media for trying to divide us as humans. I mean I can sympathize with black people when all the media does is show us an unarmed black man getting shot by a white cop. But people really need to smarten up and realize there's a lot of good cops out there who have families and are simply trying to do their job; who don't have a single racist bone in their bodies. And honestly, when those cops pull over black people they almost always get the same rude ass responses from them. Regardless whether the cop is racist or not; if he's white, he usually gets no respect.

It doesn't strike you as right? I understand that.
But quite honestly, from my experience I have NEVER seen a black man or woman ever just do what the cops tell them. It's like they automatically pull the race card out and act all entitled. I find it funny how they always say "I know my rights" but they hardly ever do.

UK2K
07-22-2015, 08:54 AM
She didn't only refuse to put out her cigarette, she was rude about the cop pulling her over. Some people forget that it's the cops job to investigate suspicious activities. I was pulled over for minor offenses before and was giving a pardon because I was polite and understood that I was in the wrong. Many black people don't. They automatically demonstrate attitude and anger towards the police. And the thing that infuriates me more than anything listening to these "black life matters" bullshit is most of the time they are in the wrong and still try to pretend like they aren't. They genuinely just hate police, especially white police officers and even if they committed a crime they will try to act all entitled. And like I said, I don't really blame them; I mostly blame the media for trying to divide us as humans. I mean I can sympathize with black people when all the media does is show us an unarmed black man getting shot by a white cop. But people really need to smarten up and realize there's a lot of good cops out there who have families and are simply trying to do their job; who don't have a single racist bone in their bodies. And honestly, when those cops pull over black people they almost always get the same rude ass responses from them. Regardless whether the cop is racist or not; if he's white, he usually gets no respect.

It doesn't strike you as right? I understand that.
But quite honestly, from my experience I have NEVER seen a black man or woman ever just do what the cops tell them. It's like they automatically pull the race card out and act all entitled. I find it funny how they always say "I know my rights" but they hardly ever do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QR465HoCWFQ

How many of ^^those^^ behaviors do you see on COPS?

All of them.

West-Side
07-22-2015, 09:01 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QR465HoCWFQ

How many of ^^those^^ behaviors do you see on COPS?

All of them.

When I said I have never seen a black person respect the cops, I am talking about actual real life experiences (not in general). I am not by any means saying there aren't respectful black people. I think there are; heck some of the nicest people I ever met are black. But there's a huge difference.

My black friends are educated and respectful; they come from a middle class family; people who act disrespectful are ghetto trash. And guess what? There's plenty of meth head or crack head white people acting the same way to the police. The only difference is the media will only highlight the incidents involving black people and white cops to divide us further.

There's nothing more evil in this world than world media.

NumberSix
07-22-2015, 10:07 AM
Wtf is this shit? :wtf:

How the hell does that happen? And why in such seemly odd/random places?

TripleA
07-22-2015, 10:16 AM
I have friends minorities and non-minorities who have been abused by the police. I don't care what media say about how they target black people.
Because statically they do target them thats fact. The larger point is how it seems police officers can do no wrong and if they are in the wrong then you can say its a stressful job. A lot people have dangerous and stressful jobs but they do not get excuses for abusing their power. I respect police and jobs they do but when officers do wrong they should be called out for it instead of it being hid under the rug like the one guy officer who threw a woman into a metal wall and broke her face. Also stories of officers stealing money from people who did nothing wrong. Both times the individuals committing these acts face no repercussions.

Before people argue with me I fully agree officers should be respected but disrespecting them is not a crime and the reason to use force or do other things.

RidonKs
07-22-2015, 10:17 AM
sandra fluke or sandra bland

KevinNYC
07-22-2015, 10:19 AM

:applause:Which of those is illegal?

West-Side
07-22-2015, 10:21 AM
I have friends minorities and non-minorities who have been abused by the police. I don't care what media say about how they target black people.
Because statically they do target them thats fact. The larger point is this is how it seems police officers can do no wrong and if they are in the wrong then you can say its a stressful job. A lot people have dangerous and stressful jobs but they do not get excuses for abusing their power. I respect police and jobs they do but when officers do wrong they should be called out for it instead of it being hid under the rug like the one guy officer who threw a woman into a metal wall and broke her face. Also stories of officers stealing money from people who did nothing wrong. Both times the individuals committing these acts face no repercussions.

It's easy to face no repercussions when there's no one really watching you.
They need to create an Oxley-Act for police officers. Due to the economic crisis; the SEC created the Oxley-Act.

This should be done for police officer and we must hold them accountable otherwise they will just continue to abuse their powers.

They must have voice mic and camera on at all times while on duty; no excuses.

The problem also is the corruption within the police force. It's so difficult to monitor and control police officers because of the nature of their work. The whole "buddy-buddy" relationship among cops is the problem. That rule of "never rat on a cop" or you'll face the wrath at work is such horseshit.

The whistle-blower effect is in full swing in almost every police department.
We must regulate, monitor and enforce a set of standards that prevent cops from acting like they're above the law; they should simply be enforcing the law.

UK2K
07-22-2015, 10:22 AM
Which of those is illegal?

Disobeying a lawful order. Failure to comply.

West-Side
07-22-2015, 10:24 AM
Because statically they do target them thats fact. The larger point is how it seems police officers can do no wrong and if they are in the wrong then you can say its a stressful job. A lot people have dangerous and stressful jobs but they do not get excuses for abusing their power. I respect police and jobs they do but when officers do wrong they should be called out for it instead of it being hid under the rug like the one guy officer who threw a woman into a metal wall and broke her face. Also stories of officers stealing money from people who did nothing wrong. Both times the individuals committing these acts face no repercussions.

Before people argue with me I fully agree officers should be respected but disrespecting them is not a crime and the reason to use force or do other things.

Disrespecting the cops isn't a crime; but you're extremely stupid if you act as such. Knowing full well the history of police brutality why would you take that chance?

It's just not using common sense, IMO.

RidonKs
07-22-2015, 10:28 AM
Which of those is illegal?

navy
07-22-2015, 10:28 AM
Disrespecting the cops isn't a crime; but you're extremely stupid if you act as such. Knowing full well the history of police brutality why would you take that chance?

It's just not using common sense, IMO.
Stop making excuses.

Velocirap31
07-22-2015, 10:29 AM
I don't think she is at any fault here. She's rude to the cop, so what, he can be a man and move on. Instead he power trips her. He instigated this and assaulted her because she gave him lip. He'd be under arrest if he wasn't a cop.

UK2K
07-22-2015, 10:29 AM
Because statically they do target them thats fact.
6% of our population commits 52% of the murder. If police 'target' (I would say, look for the most likely criminal offenders) blacks, its because they are the most likely to be a criminal. That's called logic. If I am the TSA, I look for people with tans, beards, and towels on their heads and not old women or babies. That doesn't make me racist, that makes me logical.

The larger point is how it seems police officers can do no wrong and if they are in the wrong then you can say its a stressful job.
Another bullshit argument. I can link dozens of officers who ****ed up and were charged. Try again.

A lot people have dangerous and stressful jobs but they do not get excuses for abusing their power.

A lot of people have jobs where one bad decision could end your life?

I respect police and jobs they do but when officers do wrong they should be called out for it instead of it being hid under the rug like the one guy officer who threw a woman into a metal wall and broke her face. Also stories of officers stealing money from people who did nothing wrong. Both times the individuals committing these acts face no repercussions.
So does everyone else. You won't find anyone who think cops should be able to murder people or that they have should have free reign to do whatever they want.

No but disobeying a lawful order is a crime, especially in Texas.

UK2K
07-22-2015, 10:30 AM
I don't think she is at any fault here. She's rude to the cop, so what, he can be a man and move on. Instead he power trips her. He instigated this and assaulted her because she gave him lip. He'd be under arrest if he wasn't a cop.

Ever had a cigarette thrown in your face? Likely a departmental policy.

Its a safety issue. Let's try and use some common sense. I know its tough, but, we can do it if we work together.

KevinNYC
07-22-2015, 10:31 AM
Wtf is this shit? :wtf:

How the hell does that happen? And why in such seemly odd/random places?
Holy smokes.

This looks very, very bad. If it was a glitch, would it just affect the video? The audio is smooth as silk during those cuts.

With new digital video compression.....when you upload to youtube it's automatically compressed.....perhaps this is a glitch that happens, but I've never seen it before. Video also includes timecode, I would hope that dashboad cams have that.....so if you look at the original tape/digital file you should be able to tell exactly if anything is removed.

If I was the DA in that town, I'd be looking at that rather quickly.

RidonKs
07-22-2015, 10:32 AM
6% of our population commits 52% of the murder. If police 'target' (I would say, look for the most likely criminal offenders) blacks, its because they are the most likely to be a criminal. That's called logic. If I am the TSA, I look for people with tans, beards, and towels on their heads and not old women or babies. That doesn't make me racist, that makes me logical.
this is actually a very hard conclusion to argue against, which is why profiling is so controversial

KevinNYC
07-22-2015, 10:32 AM

When you pretend to know the law, but really don't, you're only going to get yourself into more trouble.

"Smoking a cigarette is a common trick for criminals to cover up other smells emitting from the vehicle."

You're saying smoking a cigarette is probably cause to get your car tossed?
:wtf:

RidonKs
07-22-2015, 10:33 AM
yeah probably

West-Side
07-22-2015, 10:34 AM

Or she could have been polite and went to court if she felt he was being unjust to her. He asked her to put a cigarette out and she started to get lippy.

People need to understand that cops do their jobs without knowing who the people are that they deal with. They have to be strict and cautious at all times. Her being all high and mighty with him made him a) cautious and b)intolerable.

If she felt she was being mistreated she should have obliged with him request and file a lawsuit against him. Instead she started talking back to a cop and got arrested.

Plus, many people in the US use cigarette smoke to evaporate the scent of weed. So him asking her to put the smoke out isn't out of the ordinary. Plus, you don't find it disrespectful to blow smoke out of your mouth when the cop pulls you over?

Would you do that to a teacher when talking to him, a doctor, or any other professional?

KevinNYC
07-22-2015, 10:35 AM
It's easy to face no repercussions when there's no one really watching you.
They need to create an Oxley-Act for police officers. Due to the economic crisis; the SEC created the Oxley-Act.

The Sarbanes-Oxley Act was passed in 2002 and it was created by Congress. Sarbanes was a Senator and Oxley was a congressman. It was not created by the SEC.

KevinNYC
07-22-2015, 10:36 AM

Doesn't the cop need a reason to get you out of your car?

RidonKs
07-22-2015, 10:38 AM
People need to understand that cops do their jobs without knowing who the people are that they deal with. They have to be strict and cautious at all times. Her being all high and mighty with him made him a) cautious and b)intolerable.
people are like wegetables... many different kinds

part of the difficulty of becoming a police officer is managing your behaviour to accommodate anybody you might encounter. you are right that police do not know who they are dealing with. it is up to the police officer to provide as steadying an influence as possible to ease the situation into normalcy.

not to say civilians are never at fault when shit escalates. of course they are. but as protectors of the LAW, escalation is virtually inevitable. again, this is why being a good cop is really hard. and when you encounter a good cop, you should shake his hand and tell him why you think he is doing a really good job. that rubs off, literally.

UK2K
07-22-2015, 10:39 AM

It can be, yeah.

Suspects use cigarette smoke to cover up the smell of marijuana in their vehicles, or alcohol on their breath.

Not to mention it is dangerous for the officers safety.

Most departments across the country have a policy in place for suspects to put cigarettes out.

The thing people like you forget is, most traffic stops are normal traffic stops, until they aren't. Therefore, even the most minor violations are generally treated the same as more severe violations.

UK2K
07-22-2015, 10:40 AM
Doesn't the cop need a reason to get you out of your car?

No. And yes, you absolutely have to get out.

RidonKs
07-22-2015, 10:41 AM
No. And yes, you absolutely have to get out.
what if the cop is a secret member of the reformed gestapo?

West-Side
07-22-2015, 10:42 AM
The Sarbanes-Oxley Act was passed in 2002 and it was created by Congress. Sarbanes was a Senator and Oxley was a congressman. It was not created by the SEC.

[QUOTE]Sarbanes

UK2K
07-22-2015, 10:44 AM
this is actually a very hard conclusion to argue against, which is why profiling is so controversial

Its no different than having a heightened state of awareness walking through the ghetto as opposed to your neighborhood block.

Its not racist.

People develop stereotypes like they develop anything else. Your mind accepts these stereotypes because they're logical, and usually based on past experiences.

KevinNYC
07-22-2015, 10:46 AM

http://www.columbuscriminaldefenseattorney.com/2012/03/16/must-you-get-out-of-your-car-during-a-traffic-stop-police-interaction-part-ix/

So cops can order you out of a car, but they need a reason for a search or a patdown.

TripleA
07-22-2015, 10:46 AM

Another bullshit argument. I can link dozens of officers who ****ed up and were charged. Try again.

A lot of people have jobs where one bad decision could end your life?

So does everyone else. You won't find anyone who think cops should be able to murder people or that they have should have free reign to do whatever they want.

No but disobeying a lawful order is a crime, especially in Texas.

So you are putting cops on pedestal still? why not put loggers or fisherman on pedestal they die at much higher rate than cops. Firemen too.
lol and I also can link dozen officers who committed crimes and they were brushed aside or covered up. The presence of one thing does not cause the absence of another. Yes blacks do murder at higher rate but I do not know how this has anything with cops targeting them for non violent crimes like drug use or selling.
Whites sell and use drugs at a similar rate but blacks are much more likely to be prosecuted and arrested.

RidonKs
07-22-2015, 10:48 AM
Its no different than having a heightened state of awareness walking through the ghetto as opposed to your neighborhood block.

Its not racist.

People develop stereotypes like they develop anything else. Your mind accepts these stereotypes because they're logical, and usually based on past experiences.
that's a perfect analogy dude. i feel like an asshole about it but the hair on the back of my neck still stands up when a black dude with any semblance of ghetto culture sits down next to me. fk if i hear him start talking and he sounds like a literate reasonable person.

isn't it worth police officers considering these stereotypes and occasionally knocking them off for what they are, since as we all know, 50% of the time a stereotype is total horseshit?

that's what i try to do when a black guy sits down nearby. but i don't have as hard a job as most cops while i'm eating my sandwich so i know to some extent its apples and oranges.

West-Side
07-22-2015, 10:50 AM
people are like wegetables... many different kinds

part of the difficulty of becoming a police officer is managing your behaviour to accommodate anybody you might encounter. you are right that police do not know who they are dealing with. it is up to the police officer to provide as steadying an influence as possible to ease the situation into normalcy.

not to say civilians are never at fault when shit escalates. of course they are. but as protectors of the LAW, escalation is virtually inevitable. again, this is why being a good cop is really hard. and when you encounter a good cop, you should shake his hand and tell him why you think he is doing a really good job. that rubs off, literally.

And knowing all that (which I agree); why don't civilians use common sense and STOP agitating cops.

I have never once got verbally or physically assaulted by a cop; I am polite. Just like I am to a doctor, firemen, professor and any other professional. I have however seen a cop treat two people completely differently downtown.

One girl was extremely polite and the other was drunk and rude. At the beginning of the incident both cops were very polite. Even after a few minutes of being verbally assaulted by the "rude" girl (screaming "**** you pigs, you don't have nothing better to do|). Her friend kept telling her to shut up and let the cops investigate the scene. Both of these girls got in a fight against another guy; they both attacked him first. Point being is, you act angry and rude towards the cop and you'll get arrested.

And that's exactly what happens. The girl that was polite was let go after the guy said he doesn't want to press charges but wants her to leave the club scene.

So it's your choice; I think cops don't have to tolerate rude ass people when they are trying to do their job and I give them full permission to arrest anyone who prevents them from doing their job.

UK2K
07-22-2015, 10:52 AM
http://www.columbuscriminaldefenseattorney.com/2012/03/16/must-you-get-out-of-your-car-during-a-traffic-stop-police-interaction-part-ix/

So cops can order you out of a car, but they need a reason for a search or a patdown.

Yes.

You have to get out, but you can also shut your door behind you and tell them they cant search your vehicle, or your person.

RidonKs
07-22-2015, 10:54 AM
So it's your choice; I think cops don't have to tolerate rude ass people when they are trying to do their job and I give them full permission to arrest anyone who prevents them from doing their job.
i simply believe that is a dangerous allowance for you to grant

people need to behave. you are right. but at the same time, when you ask why 'civilians can't control themselves' or whatever, you're literally generalizing like 99.99% of the world. why can't they control themselves? maybe they had a stressful day. maybe their bills are unpaid. maybe they had a fight with their mother. maybe they're feeling peer pressure at work. maybe they have a bad hip. maybe they played a bad round of golf. maybe they couldn't find their sunglasses.

this is only to say; who the fk knows

KevinNYC
07-22-2015, 10:54 AM
Your "logic" is much closer to racism than to actual logic because your math is for shit and you don't understand ratios.

6% of the population is over 18 million people. Are you saying there's 18 million murderers in driving the highways? So by this type of profiling would result in a racist outcome because it would be affecting the what? 17.9 million non-murderers in that sample.

The number of murderers is far less than 1% of the population which means no matter who you pull over the chance they are a murderer is tiny, Acting like it's as high as 6% of the population is the definition of profiling and is shitty police work.

West-Side
07-22-2015, 10:58 AM
Your "logic" is much closer to racism than to actual logic because your math is for shit and you don't understand ratios.

6% of the population is over 18 million people. Are you saying there's 18 million murderers in driving the highways? So by this type of profiling would result in a racist outcome because it would be affecting the what? 17.9 million non-murderers in that sample.

The number of murderers is far less than 1% of the population which means no matter who you pull over the chance they are a murderer is tiny, Acting like it's as high as 6% of the population is the definition of profiling and is shitty police work.

No, he's saying those 18 million people commit 52% of the crimes. So if there were 100 murders in 2015; 6% of those people would have committed 52 of those 100 murders.

Making it logical to target any suspicious people that fit that profile.

Key word here is suspicious; I do not promote harassing random African american citizens who are just going to buy pizza, walking their dog, riding a bike or are with their child. Unfortunately there are so many racist cops out there that do that and that's the first thing that hits our news channels today.

So the rest of the good cops get a bad reputation automatically.
As I've said already, the media is our problem.

KevinNYC
07-22-2015, 10:58 AM
I don't even understand the point of your post, what are you trying to prove except look like a smart-ass?

The Oxley act was named after their sponsors but is regulated by the SEC.
No, it was to prove you are being a dumbass. You got three three things wrong, the When, the Why and the Who.

It was passed in 2002 or 6 years before the financial crisis so it was not a result of the financial crisis and the SEC doesn't create law.

RidonKs
07-22-2015, 10:59 AM
No, it was to prove you are being a dumbass. You got three three things wrong, the When, the Why and the Who.

It was passed in 2002 or 6 years before the financial crisis so it was not a result of the financial crisis and the SEC doesn't create law.
:lol :applause:

No, he's saying those 18 million people commit 52% of the crimes. So if there were 100 murders in 2015; 6% of those people would have committed 52 of those 100 murders.
ooooooh. scratch those emoticons.

KevinNYC
07-22-2015, 11:00 AM

Making it logical to target any suspicious people that fit that profile.

Key word here is suspicious; I do not promote harassing random African american citizens who are just going to buy pizza, walking their dog, riding a bike or are with their child. Unfortunately there are so many racist cops out there that do that and that's the first thing that hits our news channels today.

So the rest of the good cops get a bad reputation automatically.
As I've said already, the media is our problem.
Your ratios are way off too and you just changed from the whole population which is what he mentioned to a group of murderers, so you are comparing apples to oranges. 6% of which people?

UK2K
07-22-2015, 11:07 AM
So you are putting cops on pedestal still? why not put loggers or fisherman on pedestal they die at much higher rate than cops. Firemen too.
lol and I also can link dozen officers who committed crimes and they were brushed aside or covered up. The presence of one thing does not cause the absence of another. Yes blacks do murder at higher rate but I do not know how this has anything with cops targeting them for non violent crimes like drug use or selling.
Whites sell and use drugs at a similar rate but blacks are much more likely to be prosecuted and arrested.

I didn't put anybody on a pedestal? If they **** up, they should be charged. I agree with you.

Which areas do you think get patrolled more.... My nicer, upper class neighborhood, or the ghetto?

Why do you think that is?

Now if I am smoking a J on my porch in my neighborhood, or on a porch in the ghetto, where am I most likely to be caught?

You see how this works?

The only crime which is committed proportionally with the % of the population that blacks make up, is arson. That's a white person's crime. But, other than arson, blacks commit MORE THAN THEIR PROPORTIONAL AMOUNT OF CRIME IN EVERY SINGLE CRIMINAL ACT (making sure you understand that).

That includes rape (33%), burglary (32%), robbery (55%).

I would like to point out one thing though, and this is important...

2011 Drug Abuse Violations (courtesy of the FBI)
White 783,000
Black 371,000

So that myth that blacks are arrested at a higher rate for drug offenses....

Is a myth.

UK2K
07-22-2015, 11:08 AM
Your ratios are way off too and you just changed from the whole population which is what he mentioned to a group of murderers, so you are comparing apples to oranges. 6% of which people?

6% of the population of this country (black males) commit 52% of the country's murders.

I don't know how to make it any more plain.

UK2K
07-22-2015, 11:09 AM

Your reading comprehension is shit.

West-Side
07-22-2015, 11:12 AM

What? :oldlol:

The Sarbanes-Oxley Act of 2002 cracks down on corporate fraud. Specifically, it created the Public Company Accounting Oversight Board (PCAOB) to oversee the accounting industry, banned company loans to executives and gave job protection to whistleblowers. The Act, commonly called Sarbox or SOX, also strengthens the independence and financial-literacy of corporate boards and holds CEOs personally responsible for errors in accounting audits.

The Act is named after its sponsors, Senator Paul Sarbanes (D-MD) and Congressman Michael Oxley (R-OH), and was signed into law on July 30, 2002. It is enforced by the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC). Many thought that Sarbanes-Oxley was too punitive, too costly to implement, and would make the United States a less attractive place to do business. In retrospect, it seems that Sarbanes-Oxley was on the right track. The lack of regulation in the banking industry has been blamed for the credit crisis and resultant recession.

Public Company Accounting Oversight Board (PCAOB)

The Public Company Accounting Oversight Board (also known as the PCAOB) is a private-sector, nonprofit corporation created by the Sarbanes-Oxley Act of 2002 to oversee accounting professionals who provide independent audit reports for publicly traded companies. The PCAOB's responsibilities include the following:

When Congress created the PCAOB, it gave the SEC the authority to oversee the PCAOB's operations, to appoint or remove members, to approve the PCAOB's budget and rules, and to entertain appeals of PCAOB inspection reports and disciplinary actions. You can find SEC orders and other releases concerning the PCAOB in the "Regulatory Actions" section of our website under "PCAOB Rulemaking."

Read this very carefully and try to comprehend it.
I'll break it down for you Warren Buffet, okay?

1) I never said it wasn't created in 2002.
2) The Oxley-Act was named after their sponsors, it was not created by CONGRESS.
3) Congress opened a branch called the PCAOB; which is regulated by the SEC.
4) The SEC regulates the Oxley-Act.
5) The Oxley-Act was created because of past financial crisis and fraudulent acts by companies like Enron and AA.
6) There were many other financial crisis before 2008, are you like 12?
7) Oxley-Act was created to enhance the transparency of note disclosures for public companies that are listed on stock exchanges.

I mean there's far more details but I'll leave it there.
The fact that you called me a dumb-ass and started spewing complete garbage, tells me every thing I need to know about your "knowledge" base.

KevinNYC
07-22-2015, 11:14 AM
White 783,000
Black 371,000

Your numbers do not prove the bolded part.

This is the exact opposite of the point you make when you talk about proportion.

given your numbers, blacks are arrested at a far higher rate than whites for drug offenses when you take proportion of the population into account.

West-Side
07-22-2015, 11:15 AM

How can you not understand what the other poster wrote?
It's like one of the simplest questions you face in an entry-level statistics class.

navy
07-22-2015, 11:16 AM

This is the exact opposite of the point you make when you talk about proportion.

given your numbers, blacks are arrested at a far higher rate than whites for drug offenses when you take proportion of the population into account.
Exactly. Did you notice people only use percentages when it suits them and now he is using totals.

KevinNYC
07-22-2015, 11:16 AM

Read this very carefully and try to comprehend it.
I'll break it down for you Warren Buffet, okay?

1) I never said it wasn't created in 2002.
2) The Oxley-Act was named after their sponsors, it was not created by CONGRESS.
3) Congress opened a branch called the PCAOB; which is regulated by the SEC.
4) The SEC regulates the Oxley-Act.
5) The Oxley-Act was created because of past financial crisis and fraudulent acts by companies like Enron and AA.
6) There were many other financial crisis before 2008, are you like 12?
7) Oxley-Act was created to enhance the transparency of note disclosures for public companies that are listed on stock exchanges.

I mean there's far more details but I'll leave it there.
The fact that you called me a dumb-ass and started spewing complete garbage, tells me every thing I need to know about your "knowledge" base.
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Also Enron did not cause a financial crisis.

DeuceWallaces
07-22-2015, 11:20 AM
I didn't put anybody on a pedestal? If they **** up, they should be charged. I agree with you.

Which areas do you think get patrolled more.... My nicer, upper class neighborhood, or the ghetto?

Why do you think that is?

Now if I am smoking a J on my porch in my neighborhood, or on a porch in the ghetto, where am I most likely to be caught?

You see how this works?

The only crime which is committed proportionally with the % of the population that blacks make up, is arson. That's a white person's crime. But, other than arson, blacks commit MORE THAN THEIR PROPORTIONAL AMOUNT OF CRIME IN EVERY SINGLE CRIMINAL ACT (making sure you understand that).

That includes rape (33%), burglary (32%), robbery (55%).

I would like to point out one thing though, and this is important...

White 783,000
Black 371,000

Is a myth.

Not surprised you don't understand rates and write like a 13 year old.

UK2K
07-22-2015, 11:22 AM

Because they commit more crimes for their % of the population.

Are you also going to argue the murder rate among the black community is higher simply because blacks are being profiled?

Or, if your answer to the above is no, then are we to assume blacks commit a higher proportion of every single crime other than drug use?

UK2K
07-22-2015, 11:22 AM
Not surprised you don't understand rates and write like a 13 year old.

I dont have a rebuttal so... I'll write a one line zinger.

Good chat.

West-Side
07-22-2015, 11:38 AM
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Also Enron did not cause a financial crisis.

Okay, read this very carefully my friend.
Try to comprehend these two descriptions, and take the L like a man.

The bill, which contains eleven sections, was enacted as a reaction to a number of major corporate and accounting scandals, including Enron, and Worldcom. The sections of the bill cover responsibilities of a public corporation's board of directors, adds criminal penalties for certain misconduct, and required the Securities and Exchange Commission to create regulations to define how public corporations are to comply with the law.

I said "created", did I not?

How do you think a financial crisis happens? You don't think companies like Enron who reported fictitious SBU's in order to report fictitious earnings and assets on their books in excess of billions of dollars; to mislead investors in investing in the company, does not contribute to future financial crisis?

You're pretty naive, if you believe that.

Charlie Sheen
07-22-2015, 01:00 PM

It can be as easy or hard as you want it to be. Just last week I was speeding on the interstate and I looked in my rear view mirror to see a black Camaro speeding up behind me. It was a cop. I slowed down to about 75 (speed limit was 55 but everyone speeds). Then he pulled up next to me, we made eye contact, he flashed his lights, I did a 'my bad' motion, and slowed down to 65.

I drive a black Corolla with limo tint windows (illegal in this state, but not where my car is registered, which is Texas). HID headlights. Looks like a drug dealer's car. Could he have pulled me over? I would have. But he was nice about it, I showed respect, and he let me go on to work.

As I said, it can be as easy or hard as you want to make it.

Can't find a nicer way to say it, but you're kind of a dick. I noticed a trend in your posts...Your own personal experience dictates the way you look at others. You don't know the challenges a black person face in everyday life because you drive a car that you think looks like it belongs to a drug dealer. It's not just this post either

Not telling you to feel sorry for anybody. But, damn...have some compassion, understanding, whatever,for your fellow man instead of saying f&ck you because you've personally been in a situation that you've drawn parallels to.

UK2K
07-22-2015, 01:17 PM
Can't find a nicer way to say it, but you're kind of a dick. I noticed a trend in your posts...Your own personal experience dictates the way you look at others. You don't know the challenges a black person face in everyday life because you drive a car that you think looks like it belongs to a drug dealer. It's not just this post either

Not telling you to feel sorry for anybody. But, damn...have some compassion, understanding, whatever,for your fellow man instead of saying f&ck you because you've personally been in a situation that you've drawn parallels to.

Personally, I grew up poorer than poor. My mother was a (legal) immigrant from the Philippines, her mother doesn't speak English.

I have a ton of compassion. I volunteer my time (and money) at the animal shelter, and I volunteer my time (and money) for the Wounded Warrior Project.

I don't have any compassion for people who are in a situation entirely because of their actions. When I was arrested in high school, my father came (himself a cop), told me I'll learn my lesson, and let them take me off to spend the night in jail. You know what I learned from that? YOU are responsible for YOUR actions.

In the case of this Sandra girl, her being arrested was 100% her fault. Nobody else's but her own. You can't blame her arrest on race, or poverty, or a Confederate flag, or ISIS, or anything else but her actions. Period.

But I go out of my way to help those who are trying to better themselves. I've bought clothes for warehouse employees who wore shorts during the winter.

You know what I do know though? I know that no matter who you are, what race you are, where you were born or how many parents you have, you can be whatever you want to be. If you aren't happy with your life, stop blaming others and try changing yourself.

I grew up poor as shit, with one parent (my mom ran off), and a father who never showed up unless I ****ed up and he'd let me know.

Not even three years ago, I was evicted from my apartment, addicted to pain pills, and didn't have a dollar to my name (less than a dollar if you consider I owed thousands).

But then something happened. I changed.

There's nothing in this world that can keep you from changing but your own attitude. And nobody can change it for you. Its a personal decision.

If it comes off as harsh, well, life is harsh. You know that? Life isn't easy, for anyone. I know everyone has their own problems. Is it harder growing up poor than rich? Absolutely. Is it harder growing up poor and black as opposed to poor and white? Probably, depending on where you live. But its not a societal thing, thats a cultural thing, where as my neighbors didnt do drive by's past my house and kids in school didn't beat my ass for being too smart. But name me one barrier from a kid born in Harlem from graduating from Princeton. Not a cultural thing, an actual barrier preventing someone from going to an Ivy League school. There isn't one. Not a single one. In fact, its easier (requirements wise) if you are black, so jackpot!

If you actually knew me in real life, you'd see Im probably the most laid back person you'll ever meet, simply because, I worry about mine, and I know nothing in this life is ever worth getting upset over. Going on three years and my girlfriend and I have never had an argument. Not a fight, I mean an argument.

I'm happy with my life, and I try and help others be the same. Sometimes it comes off as harsh and mean, but if you saw where I came from, to where I am now, you'd know that what Im saying is legit. Its tough love, but a happy life is attainable for everyone, and I'll do my best to help anyone achieve the same as long as they are willing to put in the effort themselves.

9erempiree
07-22-2015, 02:00 PM
I don't even understand the point of your post, what are you trying to prove except look like a smart-ass?

The Oxley act was named after their sponsors but is regulated by the SEC.

You're right but one thing I do have to clarify is that nobody calls it 'Oxley Act' because most times than not the normal person will get confused. Also, accountants and financial advisers in the industry will get confused or laugh at you.

It is commonly referred to as 'SOX' -or- Sarbanes-Oxley -or- Sarbanes-Oxley Act.

I'm just saying I have never heard anyone just say Oxley Act.

I'm in the industry so I want to clarify that to you if you ever bring it up again.

West-Side
07-22-2015, 02:08 PM
You're right but one thing I do have to clarify is that nobody calls it 'Oxley Act' because most times than not the normal person will get confused. Also, accountants and financial advisers in the industry will get confused or laugh at you.

It is commonly referred to as 'SOX' -or- Sarbanes-Oxley -or- Sarbanes-Oxley Act.

I'm just saying I have never heard anyone just say Oxley Act.

I'm in the industry so I want to clarify that to you if you ever bring it up again.

I call it that because my professor (in my third assurance class) referred to as Oxley Act. It's funny because this poster is arguing with me about something I studied the entire 4 months. We started from the financial market crash in the 30's all the way to the Oxley Act. That's 8 decades I studied about the evolution of not only the establishment of SEC and external auditing practices but also the Oxley Act.

I always say "Oxley" and everyone knows what I'm talking about.
But you might be right. I work for a bank and am well aware of what it is, and yes most of my managers refer to it as SOX.

9erempiree
07-22-2015, 02:15 PM
Since we are digressing here.....

SOX Act was created because of companies like Enron whom falsified their accounting records to overstate their assets and revenue. This act was created to hold companies and its executive officers responsible.

The Financial Crisis of 2008 is a separate thing. It happened due to a myriad of things but the most basic is are the home loans, Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae. Also, at the time banks were giving out loans like crazy like adjustable mortgage with interest rates rising every year after 1-3 years. So when lenders couldn't pay when the adjustable rates rose, there were a lot of defaulted loans. The banks took back the houses and couldn't liquidate them fast enough. They were essentially stuck with homes in a time when nobody was buying. The banks were screwed.

In turn, it affected global institutions and some EU nations were screwed. Such as Italy and Greece.

Before that was AIG too.

I am sure you guys can research this because I am typing this off memory. There were many things that I may have left out.

West-Side
07-22-2015, 02:17 PM
Since we are digressing here.....

SOX Act was created because of companies like Enron whom falsified their accounting records to overstate their assets and revenue. This act was created to hold companies and its executive officers responsible.

The Financial Crisis of 2008 is a separate thing. It happened due to a myriad of things but the most basic is are the home loans, Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae. Also, at the time banks were giving out loans like crazy like adjustable mortgage with interest rates rising every year after 1-3 years. So when lenders couldn't pay when the adjustable rates rose, there were a lot of defaulted loans. The banks took back the houses and couldn't liquidate them fast enough. They were essentially stuck with homes in a time when nobody was buying. The banks were screwed.

Before that was AIG too.

I am sure you guys can research this because I am typing this off memory. There were many things that I may have left out.

The Oxley act was created to prevent future financial crisis because of past occurrences. Most of the well-renowned economists even wrote scholarly articles about how effective the Oxley Act was in trying to prevent the financial crisis of 2008.

Those fraudulent incidents like Enron was one of the main reasons we had the initial crash in the 1930's; which is why subsequently the SEC was created. The SOX was an extension of SEC basically.

ArbitraryWater
07-22-2015, 02:21 PM
edit: as usual, I did watch and read about this incident now... just another showing of a cop yearning for power.

He should have let the cigarette slide, he was the one escalating everything, she has rights.... then the 2 suspicious videos of the traffic stop (edited) and the suicide? Horrible showing by the police, once again....

Oh, but he get suspended? How about firing this asshole? American cops are a JOKE.

West-Side
07-22-2015, 02:24 PM
The 2008 financial crisis was the result of U.S. securities that were tied in to real estate pricing plummeting. It caused a global crisis because so many countries hold billions in U.S. reserves. The overvaluation of subprime bundled mortgages was the main reason. The banks essentially believed (in theory) the pricing of real estate would continue to escalate.

Charlie Sheen
07-22-2015, 02:43 PM
I've read your stories. You've overcome a lot. Good for you, take pride in that stuff. I really mean it...no sarcasm

Is it harder growing up poor than rich? Absolutely. Is it harder growing up poor and black as opposed to poor and white?

This is the point I was trying to make. I don't know who has it harder and it doesn't even matter. It's different for all of us. That's why I said you're kind of a dick. You've never been black for a day in your life right? Why lean on your personal experiences to tell black people what it's like to be black? That's what your story about being pulled over felt like. Weigh in with your thoughts, cool. No need to tell people their feelings don't matter cuz you had a similar experience and it's all basically the same. It's not the same

West-Side
07-22-2015, 02:49 PM
I've read your stories. You've overcome a lot. Good for you, take pride in that stuff. I really mean it...no sarcasm

This is the point I was trying to make. I don't know who has it harder and it doesn't even matter. It's different for all of us. That's why I said you're kind of a dick. You've never been black for a day in your life right? Why lean on your personal experiences to tell black people what it's like to be black? That's what your story about being pulled over felt like. Weigh in with your thoughts, cool. No need to tell people their feelings don't matter cuz you had a similar experience and it's all basically the same. It's not the same

A black person has also never been poor and white; has that ever crossed your mind?

You think many of them care about that when they act like the justice system is against them?

By the way, I 100% agree with what you've said. A very well thought out post actually. I'm just playing the devil's advocate (well not really, I'm just being a realist).

9erempiree
07-22-2015, 03:01 PM
edit: as usual, I did watch and read about this incident now... just another showing of a cop yearning for power.

He should have let the cigarette slide, he was the one escalating everything, she has rights.... then the 2 suspicious videos of the traffic stop (edited) and the suicide? Horrible showing by the police, once again....

Oh, but he get suspended? How about firing this asshole? American cops are a JOKE.
:facepalm :facepalm :facepalm

Overdrive
07-22-2015, 03:08 PM

I don't get this. If smoking isn't illegal, why is it illegal if you don't put out your cig, when a cop tells you to?

If I call a friend walking down the street and a cop told me to stop, I'd have toelse I'd get arrested?

9erempiree
07-22-2015, 03:11 PM
I don't get this. If smoking isn't illegal, why is it illegal if you don't put out your cig, when a cop tells you to?

If I call a friend walking down the street and a cop told me to stop, I'd have toelse I'd get arrested?

It's not illegal to smoke a cigarette but when a cop pulls someone over, technically they are in the cop's custody. By custody, you are not allow to drive off or walk away without the cops letting you go. If he says put the cigarette out then she, as a driver that just committed a traffic violation and admitted such, should put out the cigarette.

She did something wrong to get pulled over. This isn't some cop pulling someone over just to start crap.

To a lesser extent, this was a crime scene, and if you don't comply then you are subject to arrest. The crime being the traffic violation.

Charlie Sheen
07-22-2015, 03:11 PM
A black person has also never been poor and white; has that ever crossed your mind?

You think many of them care about that when they act like the justice system is against them?

By the way, I 100% agree with what you've said. A very well thought out post actually. I'm just playing the devil's advocate (well not really, I'm just being a realist).
Yup, and I agree with you. Definitely not a one way road. Focused on the one example because of thread topic :cheers:

9erempiree
07-22-2015, 03:17 PM
This should be the new title......

So Sandra Bland goes to jail because she wouldn't comply to a law enforcement officer, in her car?

Nobody goes to jail for not putting out a cigarette and the video clearly showed her disobeying with law enforcement.

UK2K
07-22-2015, 03:19 PM

Eh, like I said, it comes off as tough love. You aren't the first person to tell me to be more sensitive, so #Iaintmadatcha.

I think it has a lot to do with the way I was raised. With anyone, you take what you learn in childhood and apply it as an adult.

I was raised with a no bullshit iron fist. I didn't like it at the time, and my father was a super dick, but I distinctively remember a time when I was about 20 or so, I asked my dad why he was such a dick. He turned to me and said "Because I know that at any point, if I died, you could make it on your own". That stuck with me.

And that's how I view the world, especially THIS world, where anything and everything is never anybody's fault.

I mean, I shed a tear watching America's Got Talent from time to time, seeing people who came from nothing to turn their lives around and be somebody. Now that they are on the stage, you can tell, the realization of what its like to be successful is the greatest feeling in the world. I've helped people overcome drug addictions and gambling problems, I'm all about helping others overcome, and theres no greater feeling that allowing someone to be free. I'll bend over backwards to help anyone who needs it and is willing to sacrifice as much as I am willing to help.

But, many may not want to hear it (it being the truth). I don't sugar coat it, cause hugs and cuddles wont get you very far in this world.

As for this girl, do I think she was being treated unfairly? Yes I do. Was it her fault? Yes it was.

I am by no means a fan of cops, I despise them as much as the next person (probably more), but the vast majority of officer/suspect interactions that end up on the internet are because someone was doing something stupid, and then didn't want to follow simple instructions.

Generally, I am merely providing a point of view from the officer's perspective because I've been in the same situations (dealing with drunks, irate individuals, suspicious individuals, even individuals with weapons on them).

Overdrive
07-22-2015, 03:20 PM
It's not illegal to smoke a cigarette but when a cop pulls someone over, technically they are in the cop's custody. By custody, you are not allow to drive off or walk away without the cops letting you go. If he says put the cigarette out then she, as a driver that just committed a traffic violation and admitted such, should put out the cigarette.

She did something wrong to get pulled over. This isn't some cop pulling someone over just to start crap.

To a lesser extent, this was a crime scene, and if you don't comply then you are subject to arrest. The crime being the traffic violation.

In a way this sounds less and more stupid than I thought at the same time. I understand where you're coming from, but seems so weird for me.

UK2K
07-22-2015, 03:23 PM
A) You are being detained by an officer, therefore you must comply to lawful orders (he cant tell you to get naked).

B) Again its a matter of safety, she could flick that cigarette into the officer's face and then pull a gun in about two seconds, so generally its a matter of departmental policy to have them put it out.

She was being detained for a traffic violation. In your example, you could tell the officer no, because you aren't violating any laws. You probably should stop, but you aren't required to talk to them unless you are under suspicion of violating a law.

ArbitraryWater
07-22-2015, 03:31 PM
Nice breakdown by somene else:

1. Officer makes an illegal U-turn under non-emergency conditions.
2. Officer approaches her car from behind at a relatively high rate of speed which, as she alluded to, caused her to think she needed to get out of his way.
3. Officer attempts to require the citizen to stop smoking when smoking is in fact lawful and her right.
4. Officer then uses her refusal to stop smoking as a pretext for forcing her to exit her vehicle.
5. Officer threatens her with his taser violating court orders from the 9th Circuit court prohibiting such use of tasers.
5a. Officer points his taser at her head violating safety practices as recommended by Taser International and training from his department.
6. Officer fails numerous times to inform the citizen why she is under arrest.
7. Officer loses control of the situation as is exhibited by his lack of voice control.
8. Officer turned his back on the "suspect."
9. Officer drags the victim out of view of the camera defeating the purpose of the camera - to record police interaction with the public.
10. Officer prevents victim from using her cell phone. If she intended to call 9-1-1 that is a crime.

At this point the citizen has violated no laws and is being muscled around by a cop with a baditutde. This cop "eyed" her as a black motorist from the start and profiled her.

The citizen did nothing wrong. The cop pushed buttons and forced the situation down hill. They are experts at this and do it every day.

As the incident continues the cop retorts to the citizen's remarks in a manner that can only fuel the fire and further degrade the situation.

11. At about the 14:20 mark it seems a different citizen happens upon the scene and the officer tells them they need to leave in violation of that citizen's first amendment rights.

Around the 14:50 mark the cop tells her she is going to jail for resisting arrest. Resisting arrest is always a charge added on. It is never the main charge that gets the ball rolling.

What we have here is racial profiling followed by violations of the citizen's fourth and first amendment rights culminating in a false arrest. She is guilty only of contempt of cop which is not a crime.

12. The video starts looping but the sound track continues on. THE VIDEO HAS BEEN EDITED!

This entire scene is the fault of the cop and he has in fact been admonished by his department and I believe reassigned.

I find it very hard to believe this woman killed herself over this. I believe she was murdered by the police.

9erempiree
07-22-2015, 03:33 PM
Nice breakdown by somene else:

1. Officer makes an illegal U-turn under non-emergency conditions.
2. Officer approaches her car from behind at a relatively high rate of speed which, as she alluded to, caused her to think she needed to get out of his way.
3. Officer attempts to require the citizen to stop smoking when smoking is in fact lawful and her right.
4. Officer then uses her refusal to stop smoking as a pretext for forcing her to exit her vehicle.
5. Officer threatens her with his taser violating court orders from the 9th Circuit court prohibiting such use of tasers.
5a. Officer points his taser at her head violating safety practices as recommended by Taser International and training from his department.
6. Officer fails numerous times to inform the citizen why she is under arrest.
7. Officer loses control of the situation as is exhibited by his lack of voice control.
8. Officer turned his back on the "suspect."
9. Officer drags the victim out of view of the camera defeating the purpose of the camera - to record police interaction with the public.
10. Officer prevents victim from using her cell phone. If she intended to call 9-1-1 that is a crime.

At this point the citizen has violated no laws and is being muscled around by a cop with a baditutde. This cop "eyed" her as a black motorist from the start and profiled her.

The citizen did nothing wrong. The cop pushed buttons and forced the situation down hill. They are experts at this and do it every day.

As the incident continues the cop retorts to the citizen's remarks in a manner that can only fuel the fire and further degrade the situation.

11. At about the 14:20 mark it seems a different citizen happens upon the scene and the officer tells them they need to leave in violation of that citizen's first amendment rights.

Around the 14:50 mark the cop tells her she is going to jail for resisting arrest. Resisting arrest is always a charge added on. It is never the main charge that gets the ball rolling.

What we have here is racial profiling followed by violations of the citizen's fourth and first amendment rights culminating in a false arrest. She is guilty only of contempt of cop which is not a crime.

12. The video starts looping but the sound track continues on. THE VIDEO HAS BEEN EDITED!

This entire scene is the fault of the cop and he has in fact been admonished by his department and I believe reassigned.

I find it very hard to believe this woman killed herself over this. I believe she was murdered by the police.

I stopped reading at officer makes illegal u-turn. :facepalm

UK2K
07-22-2015, 03:38 PM
Yup.

Officers investigating criminal activities can make u-turns.

Not even going to bother with the rest of it.

I did browse the rest and read "fails numerous times to inform the citizen why she is under arrest." That gave me a laugh as well.

dude77
07-22-2015, 03:42 PM
This cop "eyed" her as a black motorist from the start and profiled her.

:oldlol:

apparently black drivers are flawless and thus there's never a reason to stop any of them .. so they're obviously being profiled whenever they're stopped

TheMan
07-22-2015, 03:52 PM
Nothing would make you happier than living in a police state. I'm not talking just about this case, the details are still sketchy but I have never seen you critisize the police, even if they are proven to be in the wrong. Seems you put more premium on safety than liberty...how "American" of you :rolleyes:

RRR3
07-22-2015, 03:52 PM
Hard to say for sure if that cop's behavior was racially motivated, although the cynic in me tends to believe it was. Regardless, his behavior in that video is clearly out of line and anyone who thinks cops should be able to treat citizens like this is a fool.

Sure, she was short with him and irritable, but that isn't a crime or everyone would be in jail. She was most likely frustrated by being pulled over and delayed by the police.

The cop cannot tell her to put out her cigarette; he can ask her, but he has no power to force her to do so. And he certainly can not forcibly expel her from her own car, and then assault her for "resisting arrest"? Arrest for what? What a crock of shit. ISH racists will have a hard time spinning THIS one.

9erempiree
07-22-2015, 03:55 PM
Hard to say for sure if that cop's behavior was racially motivated, although the cynic in me tends to believe it was. Regardless, his behavior in that video is clearly out of line and anyone who thinks cops should be able to treat citizens like this is a fool.

Sure, she was short with him and irritable, but that isn't a crime or everyone would be in jail. She was most likely frustrated by being pulled over and delayed by the police.

The cop cannot tell her to put out her cigarette; he can ask her, but he has no power to force her to do so. And he certainly can not forcibly expel her from her own car, and then assault her for "resisting arrest"? Arrest for what? What a crock of shit. ISH racists will have a hard time spinning THIS one.

You are a dumbass and always will be. There is no spinning of this. Go read the thread its entirety before accusing people of being a racist.

RRR3
07-22-2015, 03:56 PM
You are a dumbass and always will be. There is no spinning of this. Go read the thread its entirety before accusing people of being a racist.
You are one of the dumbest people in ISH history, you honestly should perform pagan rituals in honor of Jeff every day for not banning your retarded ass

UK2K
07-22-2015, 03:59 PM

Yes he can. We've been over this.

And yes he can.

9erempiree
07-22-2015, 04:00 PM
Nothing would make you happier than living in a police state. I'm not talking just about this case, the details are still sketchy but I have never seen you critisize the police, even if they are proven to be in the wrong. Seems you put more premium on safety than liberty...how "American" of you :rolleyes:

There was nothing 'police state' about that incident and I don't know what your definition of one is. It was a routine traffic stop and he even gave her a ticket. If he was there to start trouble, why would he waste his day issuing a ticket if he can just go bust some balls right there and then.

I know what a 'police state' is and this is not one of those times.

It should have been....traffic stop....ticket...bye. Done deal but now we have a person dead and a police officer getting blamed.

If anything, if you watch the 52 minute version of the video, it shows him pulling another person over right before Bland. His behavior was consistent up until he told her to put out the cigarette, therefore, I doubt her being Black was why he arrested her.

RRR3
07-22-2015, 04:00 PM
Yes he can. We've been over this.

And yes he can.
Bullshit. You cannot force someone to stop doing something they have a legal right to do (smoking in this case). He can ask her to put it out, or he could tell her why he wants it put out (he didn't). If he does not give her a valid reason, why the hell should she put it out?

And no he can't grab her out of her car. For what? Smoking a cigarette? :roll: :roll: :roll: :facepalm

dude77
07-22-2015, 04:01 PM
there's really no spinning this one .. and I empathize with her because she had mental issues .. this guy was picking on her .. just give her the stupid ticket and be on your way .. he keeps asking her 'what's wrong' ... and she actually told him in a pretty calm manner .. but you could tell he was still annoyed at her annoyance and took it out on her ..

apparently she was new in town and starting a new job the following week ? .. so basically she found herself alone in this new town, locked up for 3 days with no face to face contact with anyone .. with now an arrest record and about to miss her first day of work .. over a stupid traffic citation .. she suffered from depression .. people with depression can become suicidal fairly quickly if triggered a certain way .. this could've tipped her over

West-Side
07-22-2015, 04:03 PM

You can't be serious. :oldlol:
Treat citizens like what? So you think every time a citizen breaks the law; he is entitled to a pardon by being rude to a cop and not listening to his orders?

It's funny how this turned into a "race card"; seems like the only racist in this thread is you. We're just using our common sense, something that woman clearly lacked.

UK2K
07-22-2015, 04:04 PM
Bullshit. You cannot force someone to stop doing something they have a legal right to do (smoking in this case). He can ask her to put it out, or he could tell her why he wants it put out (he didn't). If he does not give her a valid reason, why the hell should she put it out?

And no he can't grab her out of her car. For what? Smoking a cigarette? :roll: :roll: :roll: :facepalm
Yes you can.

Because it can be used as a weapon. And he can legally ask her to step out, and she must comply. When she doesn't comply, she's violating another law, and he can then forcibly remove her from her vehicle. You are detained, your actions are controlled by the officer once the lights come on.

He didn't pull her out for smoking a cigarette, he pulled her out for failing to obey a lawful order.

Did you not have rules in school or at home or some shit?

ArbitraryWater
07-22-2015, 04:06 PM
Treat citizens like what? So you think every time a citizen breaks the law; he is entitled to a pardon by being rude to a cop and not listening to his orders?

It's funny how this turned into a "race card"; seems like the only racist in this thread is you. We're just using our common sense, something that woman clearly lacked.

:biggums: :hammerhead:

ISH one of the few outlets where she's the one lacking common sense now... :lol

stick to the Baseball stuff.

RRR3
07-22-2015, 04:06 PM
Yes you can.

Because it can be used as a weapon. And he can legally ask her to step out, and she must comply. When she doesn't comply, she's violating another law, and he can then forcibly remove her from her vehicle.

He didn't pull her out for smoking a cigarette, he pulled her out for failing to obey a lawful order.

Did you not have rules in school or at home or some shit?
Asking=/=forcing. And isn't she entitled to know why she is being arrested and/or asked to do such things?

Anything can be used as a weapon :biggums:
Jesus christ, the mental gymnastics people go through to excuse this shit. I'm not saying she acted wisely, but that doesn't mean she was deserving of the treatment she received.

RRR3
07-22-2015, 04:07 PM

What law did she break? :confusedshrug:

ArbitraryWater
07-22-2015, 04:07 PM
Yup.

Officers investigating criminal activities can make u-turns.

Not even going to bother with the rest of it.

I did browse the rest and read "fails numerous times to inform the citizen why she is under arrest." That gave me a laugh as well.

I'd check a doctor on that.

ArbitraryWater
07-22-2015, 04:09 PM
Asking=/=forcing. And isn't she entitled to know why she is being arrested and/or asked to do such things?

Jesus christ, the mental gymnastics people go through to excuse this shit. I'm not saying she acted wisely, but that doesn't mean she was deserving of the treatment she received.

dude, dude77 comes off more sensable then these clowns (empire, westgate, uk2k), just be glad that most other forums/outlets 'get it' and dont go into spin doctor mode.. not everyone thinks as stupidly as these guys.

West-Side

Why was she pulled over?

UK2K

Changing lanes without a signal.

West-Side
07-22-2015, 04:10 PM
dude, dude77 comes off more sensable then these clowns (empire, westgate, uk2k), just be glad that most other forums/outlets 'get it' and dont go into spin doctor mode.. not everyone thinks as stupidly as these guys.

Okay, since both of you are so intelligent; next time you get pulled over for an infraction do exactly what the lady did. You'll easily score a few IQ points. :rolleyes:

RRR3
07-22-2015, 04:10 PM
Why was she pulled over?
She failed to signal she was changing lanes.

Obviously she is the next Hitler.

RRR3
07-22-2015, 04:11 PM
Give her a ticket and move on holy shit.

All he had to do was stop her,

"Hello ma'am, you didn't signal you were changing lanes, I will have to ticket you blah blah have a nice day bye"

RRR3
07-22-2015, 04:12 PM
It's never the cops fault to them. Police are perfect :rolleyes:

UK2K

You're right, and an officer can ask you to put down anything in your hands, because its a lawful order.

Do I think the cop behaved inappropriately? Probably. He wasn't violating a law (that we saw) so his attitude doesn't make a difference.

West-Side

THANK YOU; and then proceeded to be rude to the cop and not listening to his orders.

I got pulled over for going 102 in a 90 zone; was I pissed? Hell yeah, I mean who gets pulled over for that?

I ended up getting a 40 dollar ticket and no demerit points off my license; I was polite and apologized to the cop. I knew it was ridiculous that he pulled me over (just like this lady thought) but I knew it being rude about it will only make things worse.

At the end of the day (as silly as it was); both me and her, broke the law.

UK2K
07-22-2015, 04:14 PM

"Hello ma'am, you didn't signal you were changing lanes, I will have to ticket you blah blah have a nice day bye"

You're right, he could have done it that way.

But if his departmental policy (or his intuition) tells him to have the driver put out the cigarette, thats what he does.

All she had to do was put it out, but you're more concerned about the cops behavior.

RRR3
07-22-2015, 04:14 PM
http://www.ballstonlaw.com/pdf/4-5-Amend-Traffic.pdf

West-Side
07-22-2015, 04:15 PM

No cop says that, what planet do you live on?
:roll:

When I got pulled over; it was:

-"License and registration please."
-"Where are you headed."
-"Do you know why you were pulled over."

There's always about 2-3 minutes of conversation; this lady was clearly agitated and rude to the cop and things escalated. WHICH IS WHY I THINK COMMON SENSE SHOULD TELL YOU TO JUST COMPLY WITH THEM; especially when you know you broke a law (as meaningless as it was).

You're also wasting your time trying to get angry at the cop; if you're late for something, you're only prolonging the situation.

I don't know; maybe that's how I was raised, but I don't confront police officers.

mehyaM24
07-22-2015, 04:16 PM
cop overreacted and was being a dick by asking her to remove the cigarette.

obviously she overreacted too and was irritated from the start, but this ALL could've been avoided if the cop just gave her a ticket, and moved on.

dude77
Okay, since both of you are so intelligent; next time you get pulled over for an infraction do exactly what the lady did. You'll easily score a few IQ points. :rolleyes:

^this is what it's gotten to sadly .. people just submit no matter how wrong the cops are .. 'what bend over and slide my underwear down to my ankle ? for what officer ? .. 'just shut up and do it' 'ok mr. officer anything you say ..

the cops get away with so much shit that people have just given up standing up to it .. fk it .. just follow whatever orders they give you .. doesn't matter if it's legal or not .. come on folks grow some spine .. we're supposed to be standing up to this bullshit, not giving them fkn passes

RRR3
No cop says that, what planet do you live on?
:roll:

When I got pulled over; it was:

-"License and registration please."
-"Where are you headed."
-"Do you know why you were pulled over."

There's always about 2-3 minutes of conversation; this lady was clearly agitated and rude to the cop and things escalated. WHICH IS WHY I THINK COMMON SENSE SHOULD TELL YOU TO JUST COMPLY WITH THEM; especially when you know you broke a law (as meaningless as it was).

You're also wasting your time trying to get angry at the cop; if you're late for something, you're only prolonging the situation.

I don't know; maybe that's how I was raised, but I don't confront police officers.
I didn't say she acted wisely (she didn't), but you cannot arrest someone for being irritable and rude! He was within his rights to ticket her, but beyond that he acted out of line.

UK2K
07-22-2015, 04:18 PM
http://www.ballstonlaw.com/pdf/4-5-Amend-Traffic.pdf

I know the law.

She had to put the cigarette out. She had to get out when asked. She had the right to get out, shut the door, and tell him he wasn't allowed to search her vehicle.

West-Side
07-22-2015, 04:19 PM
Ah man I really want to find that video where a latino flicks a cigarette at a cop and tries to run.

That episode would be perfect; so that you guys can understand that THE COP DID NOT ASK HER TO PUT OUT A CIGARETTE just because he was being a dick, it was a clear safety precaution for HIM. :facepalm

West-Side
07-22-2015, 04:21 PM
^this is what it's gotten to sadly .. people just submit no matter how wrong the cops are .. 'what bend over and slide my underwear down to my ankle ? for what officer ? .. 'just shut up and do it' 'ok mr. officer anything you say ..

the cops get away with so much shit that people have just given up standing up to it .. fk it .. just follow whatever orders they give you .. doesn't matter if it's legal or not .. come on folks grow some spine .. we're supposed to be standing up to this bullshit, not giving them fkn passes

So you're saying when a cop tells you to get out of the car or lay on the floor (like many of them do when they think the suspect seems suspicious), it's okay to not listen because it somehow violets our amendments?

UK2K
07-22-2015, 04:22 PM

That's not a lawful order.

You can do it if you want to.... I wouldn't, but.... if you want.

9erempiree
07-22-2015, 04:26 PM
I guess everyone is telling me it is ok to drink and drive. By their logic, if a cop ever asks me to step out of a car, probably for a sobriety test, I can say no?

You mean I can just keep silent, not get out of my car and refuse to get out of the car for a sobriety test? Sit there and wait till I sober up before getting out?

If that was the case then why don't more drivers just stay in the car rather than take the sobriety test?

...because it is easier to step out of the car and take your chances on passing the sobriety test than failing to comply.

By that logic, wouldn't everyone get away from a drunk and driving charge if we only acted like Bland?

DeuceWallaces
07-22-2015, 04:30 PM
I guess everyone is telling me it is ok to drink and drive. By their logic, if a cop ever asks me to step out of a car, probably for a sobriety test, I can say no?

You mean I can just keep silent, not get out of my car and refuse to get out of the car for a sobriety test? Sit there and wait till I sober up before getting out?

If that was the case then why don't more drivers just stay in the car rather than take the sobriety test?

...because it is easier to step out of the car and take your chances on passing the sobriety test than failing to comply.

By that logic, wouldn't everyone get away from a drunk and driving charge if we only acted like Bland?

Sobriety tests are induced under probable cause you moron. Moreover, in certain states you even have a right to refuse it.

This is not an analogous situation.

UK2K
07-22-2015, 04:33 PM
Sobriety tests are induced under probable cause you moron. Moreover, in certain states you even have a right to refuse it.

You can do that, and they'll detain you and take you right to the police station for a blood test.

You know when you sign those forms, to get a drivers licence, that you are signing an implied consent form?

By virtue of having a state issued drivers licence and using public highways, you are consenting to a blood, breath, or urine test.

So now you get to waste your evening (if you haven't been drinking).

Here's a hint for you drunk drivers: Take the PBT test given by the officer, many are inadmissible in court.

DeuceWallaces
07-22-2015, 04:35 PM
You can do that, and they'll detain you and take you right to the police station for a blood test.

You know when you sign those forms, to get a drivers licence, that you are signing an implied consent form?

By virtue of having a state issued drivers licence and using public highways, you are consenting to a blood, breath, or urine test.

So now you get to waste your evening (if you haven't been drinking).

That's a blanket statement not applicable in all states. Hence, my post.

9erempiree
07-22-2015, 04:37 PM

She acted like she could be under the influence though. Being agitated, shaking, attitude and aggressive behavior. I don't know if she's on drugs because she never willingly got out of the car for a sobriety test.

By the time the cop got her out of her car, the right thing to do was cuff her since she was not in a state of mind to comply nor was it safe to give a sobriety test at that point.

UK2K
07-22-2015, 04:37 PM
That's a blanket statement not applicable in all states. Hence, my post.

Find me a state that allows you to refuse every variety of the test. EVERY state has implied consent laws.

If you won't take any, the state will just suspend your licence, usually for 12 months.

mehyaM24
07-22-2015, 04:38 PM
Ah man I really want to find that video where a latino flicks a cigarette at a cop and tries to run.

That episode would be perfect; so that you guys can understand that THE COP DID NOT ASK HER TO PUT OUT A CIGARETTE just because he was being a dick, it was a clear safety precaution for HIM. :facepalm

ok weenie.. :lol

first of all, if he was concerned about the cigarette being an alleged weapon, why didn't he ask her to put it out in the first place? minutes after he stops her, the first thing he says is "are you ok? you seem very irritated'...bland then explains, and after she's clearly done explaining, he asks sarcastically 'are you done?'. she replies 'you asked me and i told you'.

only after he looked like an idiot, he asks her to put out the cig.

cop was clearly being a prick from jump street.

9erempiree
07-22-2015, 04:42 PM

first of all, if he was concerned about the cigarette being an alleged weapon, why didn't he ask her to put it out in the first place?

Probably because she lit it up while he was writing up that ticket.

She left him hanging with the ticket so he asked her 'are you ok'. He reached out but I didn't see her take/sign the ticket.

West-Side
07-22-2015, 04:42 PM
She acted like she could be under the influence though. Being agitated, shaking, attitude and aggressive behavior. I don't know if she's on drugs because she never willingly got out of the car for a sobriety test.

By the time the cop got her out of her car, the right thing to do was cuff her since she was not in a state of mind to comply nor was it safe to give a sobriety test at that point.

Great point.
I remember reading an article (with a video link) about a meth user being stopped due to broken headlight and cracked windshield in his truck. At first the cop simply told the man why he stopped him and he wanted to see his license and registration.

The man (because he was high on crystal meth) was extremely aggressive, irritable and rude. The cop than asked him to get out of the car and the man refused. So the cop called for backup and they got him out of the car; they then found out amphetamine, and other supplies to manufacture meth.

So I ask DueceWallace, did the cop not have probable cause in this situation??

The lady showed immediate hostility towards the cop.
It's easy for us to criticize cops; but until you're on duty and serve, you really have no idea that type of people these guys meet on the streets on a daily basis.

West-Side
07-22-2015, 04:43 PM

first of all, if he was concerned about the cigarette being an alleged weapon, why didn't he ask her to put it out in the first place? minutes after he stops her, the first thing he says is "are you ok? you seem very irritated'...bland then explains, and after she's clearly done explaining, he asks sarcastically 'are you done?'. she replies 'you asked me and i told you'.

only after he looked like an idiot, he asks her to put out the cig.

cop was clearly being a prick from jump street.

Re-watch the video bro. :facepalm

mehyaM24
07-22-2015, 04:44 PM
Probably because she lit it up while he was writing up that ticket.

She left him hanging with the ticket so he asked her 'are you ok'. He reached out but I didn't see her take/sign the ticket.

he was still writing shit down when he asks her to put it out.

get your eyes checked.

the cop asking "are you done?" was un-professional and proof that's where he lost his temper. the cig was an excuse to harass her more - he got the answer he wanted because she knows there's no reason for him to ask her to put it out. he would have asked beforehand.

dude77
07-22-2015, 04:45 PM
So you're saying when a cop tells you to get out of the car or lay on the floor (like many of them do when they think the suspect seems suspicious), it's okay to not listen because it somehow violets our amendments?

I'm saying .. cops are constantly overstepping their authority and abusing it .. are you not seeing this ? .. this guy was just annoyed by her annoyance at him .. are you too fkn retarded to see why she would be annoyed(speaking to officer)? .. give her the ticket and be on your way .. he was chomping at the bit to escalate the situation ..

there was no need for any arrest to take place there .. none .. that was a fkn waste of resources and time and now possibly also caused her death .. keep being a bootlicker though .. they love that mindset so they can walk all over you whenever they see fit .. that's why that small dkd little beta couldn't keep his cool with a chick .. screaming at her like a bitch .. because he knows he's not accountable for anything

RRR3
07-22-2015, 04:46 PM
You can't arrest someone for being rude, nor does someone being rude make it okay to automatically assume they are of the criminal variety.

I am not well versed in legality, but I don't see how it can be lawful to force someone to exit from their property (the car is her property) without properly explaining why you are requiring them to do so.

West-Side
07-22-2015, 04:48 PM
I'm saying .. cops are constantly overstepping their authority and abusing it .. are you not seeing this ? .. this guy was just annoyed by her annoyance at him .. are you too fkn retarded to see why she would be annoyed(speaking to officer)? .. give her the ticket and be on your way .. he was chomping at the bit to escalate the situation ..

there was no need for any arrest to take place there .. none .. that was a fkn waste of resources and time and now possibly also caused her death .. keep being a bootlicker though .. they love that mindset so they can walk all over you whenever they see fit

Okay well you go right ahead and question their authority.
I live a happy life and was never in jail. I showed respect to the cops every time I got pulled over and was never treated like this lady was. There were a few times where the cop was nice and just let me off with a warning.

But whatever, this is a pointless discussion now. We all had different experiences with police and my opinion on this incident is directly influenced by my interactions with police officers.

West-Side
07-22-2015, 04:50 PM
You can't arrest someone for being rude, nor does someone being rude make it okay to automatically assume they are of the criminal variety.

I am not well versed in legality, but I don't see how it can be lawful to force someone to exit from their property (the car is her property) without properly explaining why you are requiring them to do so.

Well I already told you one incident where a man showed similar hostility towards a cop. Whether you think that's reason enough for the cop to ask her to step out isn't your judgement call, it's his.

You can question his judgement all you want; the difference being is I agree with what he did, and you don't.

mehyaM24
07-22-2015, 04:52 PM
Re-watch the video bro. :facepalm
what i just described is exactly how the video went down.

the cop was being an asshole. :confusedshrug:

RRR3
07-22-2015, 04:54 PM
Well I already told you one incident where a man showed similar hostility towards a cop. Whether you think that's reason enough for the cop to ask her to step out isn't your judgement call, it's his.

You can question his judgement all you want; the difference being is I agree with what he did, and you don't.
I need more information on your story about the meth guy. Furthermore Ms. Bland may have been rude but she was not aggressive, so the stories differ there.

my problem is with him forcing her out and with failing to explain why he requested her to exit her car.

9erempiree
07-22-2015, 04:57 PM
he was still writing shit down when he asks her to put it out.

get your eyes checked.

the cop asking "are you done?" was un-professional and proof that's where he lost his temper. the cig was an excuse to harass her more - he got the answer he wanted because she knows there's no reason for him to ask her to put it out. he would have asked beforehand.

You're telling me to get my eyes checked when you're acting like you can see her smoking a cigarette?:lol

Like I said, we don't know when she lit up the cigarette.

Only on ISH.

mehyaM24
07-22-2015, 04:58 PM
and now according to the DA they're treating her 'suicide' as a murder investigation. hmmm.

You're telling me to get my eyes checked when you're acting like you can see her smoking a cigarette?:lol

Like I said, we don't know when she lit up the cigarette.

Only on ISH.

you just said he gave her the ticket, and that she left him hanging.

idiot.

9erempiree
07-22-2015, 04:59 PM
I need more information on your story about the meth guy. Furthermore Ms. Bland may have been rude but she was not aggressive, so the stories differ there.

my problem is with him forcing her out and with failing to explain why he requested her to exit her car.

Swinging and slapping a cops arm out of the way is not aggressive? You can see the flailing arms through the window.

9erempiree
07-22-2015, 05:02 PM
and now according to the DA they're treating her 'suicide' as a murder investigation. hmmm.

You're late to the party. DA treats a suicide like a homicide and rightfully so. It would be just too easy to say or declare it a suicide. They want to look at all the evidence.

UK2K
07-22-2015, 05:02 PM
Great point.
I remember reading an article (with a video link) about a meth user being stopped due to broken headlight and cracked windshield in his truck. At first the cop simply told the man why he stopped him and he wanted to see his license and registration.

The man (because he was high on crystal meth) was extremely aggressive, irritable and rude. The cop than asked him to get out of the car and the man refused. So the cop called for backup and they got him out of the car; they then found out amphetamine, and other supplies to manufacture meth.

So I ask DueceWallace, did the cop not have probable cause in this situation??

The lady showed immediate hostility towards the cop.
It's easy for us to criticize cops; but until you're on duty and serve, you really have no idea that type of people these guys meet on the streets on a daily basis.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/01/15/video-shows-before-cop-killed_n_6480228.html

How about talking with a guy for 10 minutes only for him to pull a gun on you and shoot you.

mehyaM24
07-22-2015, 05:04 PM
You're late to the party. DA treats a suicide like a homicide and rightfully so. It would be just too easy to say or declare it a suicide. They want to look at all the evidence.
i just heard about this story today.

however, thankfully i am here to correct you. :cheers:

Overdrive
07-22-2015, 05:11 PM
A) You are being detained by an officer, therefore you must comply to lawful orders (he cant tell you to get naked).

B) Again its a matter of safety, she could flick that cigarette into the officer's face and then pull a gun in about two seconds, so generally its a matter of departmental policy to have them put it out.

That's still really weird. Just couldn't happen here. I guess that's just gun paranoia. Every item can lead to being shot down over there. If you get pulled over and you smoke a cigarette nothing will happen. The cop might ask politelly and has to accept a no.

If the cop is rude you have the right to ask for his id-number and that's the moment when they usually stop being rude as a formal complaint can really hurt them if there's any witness.

She was being detained for a traffic violation. In your example, you could tell the officer no, because you aren't violating any laws. You probably should stop, but you aren't required to talk to them unless you are under suspicion of violating a law.

Ok, got this now, still very weird from my pov.

That's exactly what happens here. You get pulled over and don't collaborate.

You don't show license and papers you can get taken with them, but if you do, unless there's severe suspicion of criminal behavior that can hurt you, the cop or a third person - a cigarette is surely included in this - you are not obliged to interact with them in any way. You'll get a ticket - if you don't accept it, it will be sent to the adress your car is registered to.
The only thing you have to do is to take an alcohol and/or drugtest when asked. If not the license will get taken away and then they can take you with them, because you're under suspicion of DUI.

Cops here are idiots to more often than not, but you smply don't end up in a cell for not signaling a lane change.

9erempiree
07-22-2015, 05:17 PM
Cops here are idiots to more often than not, but you smply don't end up in a cell for not signaling a lane change.

This is going to be my last post about this discussion.....

She is not getting arrested for not signaling a lane change. It's what she did and did not do afterwardsl

While many may think the first offense is what gets you sent to jail but it's not. It's her failure to comply and her resisting arrest. She was seen shoving his arms off her.

KevinNYC
07-22-2015, 05:37 PM
I call it that because my professor (in my third assurance class) referred to as Oxley Act. It's funny because this poster is arguing with me about something I studied the entire 4 months.
Unfortunately, this just makes it even worse because you're still getting basic info wrong. I don't know why your professor says "the Oxley Act" but is not at all common usage. When I googled the exact phrase "the Oxley ACT" this insidehoops thread is on the first page of results. Sarbanes-Oxley (with no ACT) is how it is most often used, see here (http://www.kpmg.com/global/en/services/advisory/risk-consulting/internal-audit/sarbanes-oxley-advisory-services/pages/default.aspx) and here (http://www-01.ibm.com/software/analytics/regulatory-compliance/sarbanes-oxley/). Furthermore, it's called an ACT because it's an ACT of Congress, not the SEC.

I said "created", did I not?Yes, you did say created, but you were wrong about who created what. Even the sources you cite are quite clear about this.

The Sarbanes-Oxley Act of 2002 cracks down on corporate fraud. Specifically, it created the Public Company Accounting Oversight Board (PCAOB) to oversee the accounting industry, banned company loans to executives and gave job protection to whistleblowers. The Act, commonly called Sarbox or SOX, also strengthens the independence and financial-literacy of corporate boards and holds CEOs personally responsible for errors in accounting audits.

The Act is named after its sponsors, Senator Paul Sarbanes (D-MD) and Congressman Michael Oxley (R-OH), and was signed into law on July 30, 2002. It is enforced by the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC). ...........

When Congress created the PCAOB, it gave the SEC the authority to oversee the PCAOB's operations, to appoint or remove members, to approve the PCAOB's budget and rules, and to entertain appeals of PCAOB inspection reports and disciplinary actions.

I believe you when you say you know the date and that it was response to Enron, but you didn't express yourself clearly. When you say "the financial crisis" that means 2007-2009. Enron and Worldcom were scandals but they didn't tank the economy like the financial crisis.

Also I'm old enough to have already in the corporate world when the Sarbanes Oxley Act was passed.

ArbitraryWater
07-22-2015, 05:42 PM
People really can't see the cop came in that talk with a bully mentality? :oldlol:

Dude took ages to gave her the ticket, hell, never gave it to her... then gets loud first and escalates the situation.

also

the whole stop was a fishing exercise. Pulled over for not signalling a lane change? I see people doing that every time I drive, have never seen anyone pulled over for it.

why did the cop need her to exit the car? To inspect it? What is a safety check?*
I have never heard a cop do that.*
Is that just an excuse to search the vehicle without a warrant?*
Sure sounds like it.

waiting for the spin on this.. keep em coming, gatewest

ArbitraryWater
07-22-2015, 05:44 PM
No mention of him saying 'I will light you up!' with a taser pointed at her? :oldlol:

I think that was the final moment where he for all lost his cred as a cop...

my gosh, you people go through so much to defend this amateur of a police man.

KevinNYC
07-22-2015, 05:50 PM
The Texas Department of Public Safety says the officer was unprofessional

“Regardless of the situation, the DPS state trooper has an obligation to exhibit professionalism and be courteous,” said DPS Director Steve McCraw. “That did not happen in this situation.”

They also said that the video was not edited, and the glitch must have occurred during the upload. Suppossedly the FBI will review the video.

KendrickPerkins
07-22-2015, 06:02 PM
People really can't see the cop came in that talk with a bully mentality? :oldlol:

Dude took ages to gave her the ticket, hell, never gave it to her... then gets loud first and escalates the situation.

also

Cops are always searching these days

I got pulled over for expired tag and had my whole vehicle searched. I followed his commands and showed him respect, like a civilised person.

I didn't watch this video and I don't know what happened. But my guess is she got snippy with him and things escelated from there.

Rule number 1 - never disrespect a police officer. By law, they have more authority than you.

That's not to say off duty I won't decimate one of those pigs... but on duty, I'm Danny Tanner. POLITE.

mehyaM24
07-22-2015, 06:03 PM
The Texas Department of Public Safety says the officer was unprofessional

They also said that the video was not edited, and the glitch must have occurred during the upload. Suppossedly the FBI will review the video.
just as i said a page ago

the cop WAS unprofessional, purposefully being a dick.

guy asked 'are you done yet?' seconds after she wasn't even talking. :oldlol:

UK2K
07-22-2015, 06:09 PM

also

he whole stop was a fishing exercise. Pulled over for not signalling a lane change? I see people doing that every time I drive, have never seen anyone pulled over for it.

I've never seen anyone cited for Jaywalking either, but you can. This guy is an idiot, and doesn't know the first thing about law enforcement, because if he did, he'd know changing lanes without using a turn signal is a common citation to be pulled over for. No different than 'swerving on the yellow line' or 'erratic speeding and decelerating'.

why did the cop need her to exit the car? To inspect it? What is a safety check?*
I have never heard a cop do that.*
Is that just an excuse to search the vehicle without a warrant?*
Sure sounds like it.

A safety check is a spot check for a weapon. You can call it what you want, but it's a real thing.

Try again.

DeuceWallaces
07-22-2015, 06:13 PM
I've never seen anyone cited for Jaywalking either, but you can. This guy is an idiot, and doesn't know the first thing about law enforcement, because if he did, he'd know changing lanes without using a turn signal is a common citation to be pulled over for. No different than 'swerving on the yellow line' or 'erratic speeding and decelerating'.

A safety check is a spot check for a weapon. You can call it what you want, but it's a real thing.

Try again.

Actually, it's a lot different.

dude77
07-22-2015, 06:16 PM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/01/15/video-shows-before-cop-killed_n_6480228.html

How about talking with a guy for 10 minutes only for him to pull a gun on you and shoot you.

:biggums: that was creepy .. dude is all calm and friendly with the cop, but secretly planning to kill him in a couple minutes .. critical mistakes by the cop there obviously, letting him stand there right in front of him with his hands in his pockets

UK2K
07-22-2015, 06:17 PM
No mention of him saying 'I will light you up!' with a taser pointed at her? :oldlol:

I think that was the final moment where he for all lost his cred as a cop...

my gosh, you people go through so much to defend this amateur of a police man.
I believe that is a fair warning, no?

Should he be more officer friendly instead? "Ma'am, if you do not exit the vehicle, I will pull the trigger of my taser and it will eject barbs, likely to impale into your skin, immediately followed by a jolt of electricity that may or may not feel pleasant'.

I think everyone pretty much agreed he behaved inappropriately, so you can drop you false argument of anyone defending his behavior. What we are defending was the legality of what transpired, in which case, you will see that what he did was perfectly legal.

UK2K
07-22-2015, 06:20 PM
Actually, it's a lot different.

No its not.

They're excuses to pull you over, true or not. I heard the last two personally.

Hate to break it to you, but if a cop wants to pull you over, he will find a reason. I don't like it, you don't like it, but they will.

UK2K
07-22-2015, 06:25 PM
:biggums: that was creepy .. dude is all calm and friendly with the cop, but secretly planning to kill him in a couple minutes .. critical mistakes by the cop there obviously, letting him stand there right in front of him with his hands in his pockets

Absolutely right. He thought he was calm.

But as a cop, you can't assume, cause when you do, you're dead. Complacency kills. The one time he treated this guy differently than anyone else...

But ISH will cry and say 'but but he doesnt have to take his hands out of his pockets, the cop is just trying to expose his cold hands to the wind cause he's a bully'.

It's not a game. You **** up as a cop, just once in your 20 year career, and your life is over. OVER. One time, one simple mistake, like not asking him to take his hands out of his pockets (cause it does look cold), and you're dead.

And while you may know you're a nice guy, the cop pulling you over doesn't, so he is going to behave the same way every time. That's how you do your job and stay alive.

Many on this board don't take into consideration what they would do in an officers shoes. What would you do if you, as a cop, had asthma and someone was smoking in your face? I'd ask them to put it out, but ISH would just stand there and inhale it cause they are super nice people.

Get real.

DeuceWallaces
07-22-2015, 06:34 PM
No its not.

Hate to break it to you, but if a cop wants to pull you over, he will find a reason. I don't like it, you don't like it, but they will.

Actually they're quite different. One insinuates dangerous driving behavior and a potentially intoxicated driver, while the other is inane and something you could find every minute of every day on every road throughout America.

So yeah, your analogy sucks.

Droid101
07-22-2015, 07:07 PM
Jesus ****ing christ UK, the cops aren't going to sleep with you. You don't have to blindly defend everything they do ever.

UK2K
07-22-2015, 07:51 PM
Jesus ****ing christ UK, the cops aren't going to sleep with you. You don't have to blindly defend everything they do ever.
I agreed with everyone else, he behaved inappropriately.

Any other issue you have with the situation should be directed at the judicial system, which I have many issues with.

UK2K
07-22-2015, 07:54 PM
Actually they're quite different. One insinuates dangerous driving behavior and a potentially intoxicated driver, while the other is inane and something you could find every minute of every day on every road throughout America.

So yeah, your analogy sucks.
My point was, you can use any of them to pull someone over, and all of them are impossible to discredit.

You can make up almost any excuse.

Which is what I said what I said.

RRR3
07-22-2015, 09:47 PM
My point was, you can use any of them to pull someone over, and all of them are impossible to discredit.

You can make up almost any excuse.

Which is what I said what I said.
He wasn't out of bounds in stopping her and informing her she was violating a driving law. He was doing his job there. What he did after and how he did it is why there is an uproar.

gts
07-22-2015, 09:56 PM

Have not been following this. Somebody want to explain to me the connection between the supposed editing of the tape and what it has to do with her killing herself 3 days later?

Edit: nvm. just read they were indeed glitches in the tape and they've released a new video without the glitches and it's identical except for the glitches so there's no connection.

KevinNYC
07-22-2015, 10:16 PM
Have not been following this. Somebody want to explain to me the connection between the supposed editing of the tape and what it has to do with her killing herself 3 days later?
I don't think it's the editing of the tape, but the whole incident. The question is was her death a suicide or a homicide?

I think editing thing may turn out to be some glitch in the software. They said they were going to upload the video again.

So the issue is this woman gets pulled over for a traffic violation and is arrested and three days later winds up dead. They say she hung herself using a garbage bag. So is that what happened is still the main question.

longtime lurker
07-22-2015, 10:26 PM
I don't think it's the editing of the tape, but the whole incident. The question is was her death a suicide or a homicide?

I think editing thing may turn out to be some glitch in the software. They said they were going to upload the video again.

So the issue is this woman gets pulled over for a traffic violation and is arrested and three days later winds up dead. They say she hung herself using a garbage bag. So is that what happened is still the main question.

This is what I'd like to know also. And who the hell spends 3 days in jail over a traffic stop? The DA is treating it as a homicide and apparently there's some shady shit going on with the police report.

zizozain
07-22-2015, 10:35 PM
blacks in US are betas

DeuceWallaces
07-23-2015, 12:06 AM

Edit: nvm. just read they were indeed glitches in the tape and they've released a new video without the glitches and it's identical except for the glitches so there's no connection.

Consider yourself lucky.

97 bulls
07-23-2015, 01:14 AM

I think you're missing the point. While i agree we need to be respectful to the police, they need to be respectful to us as well.

And i don't understand why you feel the police have a right to tell you what to do. Regardless of what it is. It is not illegal to smoke a cigarette. Why ask her to put it out? Then when she says no, why does she have to get out of her car? Was he feeling threatened by her cigarette?

Maybe he believed she was gonna burn him with it.

Cali Syndicate
07-23-2015, 01:19 AM
I think you're missing the point. While i agree we need to be respectful to the police, they need to be respectful to us as well.

And i don't understand why you feel the police have a right to tell you what to do. Regardless of what it is. It is not illegal to smoke a cigarette. Why ask her to put it out? Then when she says no, why does she have to get out of her car? Was he feeling threatened by her cigarette?

The US will become a better place once its mandatory police wear body cameras.

NumberSix
07-23-2015, 01:43 AM

This. When he asked her to put out her cigarette, she actually would have been perfectly within her rights to say "go f*ck yourself fa**ot". It's not illegal to be an asshole, and it's not probable cause to suspect someone of committing a crime (other than the minor traffic infraction)

Now, it actually IS legal for an officor to ask a person to step out of the car.

DeuceWallaces
07-23-2015, 02:08 AM
No its not.

They're very different scenarios, your dumbass might not understand it but it's true.

97 bulls
07-23-2015, 02:42 AM
This. When he asked her to put out her cigarette, she actually would have been perfectly within her rights to say "go f*ck yourself fa**ot". It's not illegal to be an asshole, and it's not probable cause to suspect someone of committing a crime (other than the minor traffic infraction)

Now, it actually IS legal for an officor to ask a person to step out of the car.
It is. But again. What was the reason to ask or demand she exit her vehicle? Other than he was mad she refused to put her cigarette out. Its just ridiculous

NumberSix
07-23-2015, 03:20 AM
It is. But again. What was the reason to ask or demand she exit her vehicle? Other than he was mad she refused to put her cigarette out. Its just ridiculous
It is ridiculous. She was clearly treated in a dehumanizing way for absolutely no reason other than the cop being a piece of shit.

I don't even know why people are criticizing her behaviour. She didn't seem "rude" to me. In fact, she was pretty fcuking reasonable in my opinion.

Lakers Legend#32
07-23-2015, 03:31 AM
Black female
White cop
Texas
That's all you need to know.

RidonKs
07-23-2015, 05:18 AM
i don't see why you'd be willing to give them that license. in totalitarian systems, the state police could find a reason to drag you off to the middle of nowhere and put your ass to work in a labour camp. yet in the developed world, police discretion has been restrained. they are no longer subject to the whims of political dictates. they are in fact a civil service, as they should be.

but in the post i quoted, you seem to suggest that whatever 'reason' the cop decides on to get you out of your car is legitimate because chances are he'll get away with it. that is a straight up appeal to authority and it's doubly illogical if you understand the trends of the last hundred years as i described above.

UK2K
07-23-2015, 06:55 AM
They're very different scenarios, your dumbass might not understand it but it's true.
We're clearly not on the same line of thought.

That's ok. You missed the point.

UK2K
07-23-2015, 06:57 AM
i don't see why you'd be willing to give them that license. in totalitarian systems, the state police could find a reason to drag you off to the middle of nowhere and put your ass to work in a labour camp. yet in the developed world, police discretion has been restrained. they are no longer subject to the whims of political dictates. they are in fact a civil service, as they should be.

but in the post i quoted, you seem to suggest that whatever 'reason' the cop decides on to get you out of your car is legitimate because chances are he'll get away with it. that is a straight up appeal to authority and it's doubly illogical if you understand the trends of the last hundred years as i described above.

Do you think I support their ability to pull you over for any made up reason?

Not once did I say it had to be a legitimate reason. It can be, as in this case, but often times cops can use any excuse to pull you over.

I dont like it any more than you, so I'm not sure where you're going with this.

I don't like a lot of things cops can get away with, which is why about four pages ago I said if you have a problem with the situation that transpired, you should direct your bitches at the judicial system and not the officer, because LEGALLY he was in the right.

That's what many on this board are not understanding.

He acted like a dick, but LEGALLY he didn't do anything wrong. So, again, direct your bitches at the judicial system as a whole (as I do).

Because the majority on here think they know the law is the only reason this thread ever got this far.

LEGALLY he did nothing wrong. Not just for you, but for everyone, LEGALLY he didn't break any laws.

I think most here resent his ability to do what he did, which is getting everyone fired up at the officer while they're ignoring the bigger picture.

I know the law, but I'm not a fan of the law (or cops) any more than anyone else. It's the system as a whole that's oppressive.

West-Side
07-23-2015, 08:25 AM

I don't know why he asked her but I've seen cigarettes being used as weapons before, as I've already mentioned in this thread.

Second off, who was being disrespectful first?
Was it the cop or the lady? I don't deny that the cop could have handled the situation differently and gave the the lady a break, but he didn't. Neither did the lady; she was agitated and disrespectful from the get go.

My point being; it's always smarter to get your ticket, show respect and move on. If you think the ticket was unjust, GO TO COURT and fight it. You have that RIGHT. :facepalm

ArbitraryWater
07-23-2015, 08:31 AM
Hey dummie, she was pulled over for some BS in the first place, of course she will be thrown off by it... THEN the guy didn't even give her the ticket.. **** sake man. Then he gets loud, he escalates, because of a damn cigarete.... LET IT SLIDE ffs, you moron of a cop.

West-Side
07-23-2015, 08:38 AM
Unfortunately, this just makes it even worse because you're still getting basic info wrong. I don't know why your professor says "the Oxley Act" but is not at all common usage. When I googled the exact phrase "the Oxley ACT" this insidehoops thread is on the first page of results. Sarbanes-Oxley (with no ACT) is how it is most often used, see here (http://www.kpmg.com/global/en/services/advisory/risk-consulting/internal-audit/sarbanes-oxley-advisory-services/pages/default.aspx) and here (http://www-01.ibm.com/software/analytics/regulatory-compliance/sarbanes-oxley/). Furthermore, it's called an ACT because it's an ACT of Congress, not the SEC.

Yes, you did say created, but you were wrong about who created what. Even the sources you cite are quite clear about this.

I believe you when you say you know the date and that it was response to Enron, but you didn't express yourself clearly. When you say "the financial crisis" that means 2007-2009. Enron and Worldcom were scandals but they didn't tank the economy like the financial crisis.

Also I'm old enough to have already in the corporate world when the Sarbanes Oxley Act was passed.

:oldlol: @ this guy just won't give up. Listen you've started to argue semantics with me. I clearly said created. Which SEC did. THEY created all the guidelines and regulations about something that congress enacted.

I can draw up a blueprint and give engineers it so they can create the idea for me; who created it?

I'm pretty sure the problem with our argument is misinterpretation of the word, nothing else. I think both of us know about the Oxley-Act, so I'll end it there.

But I'm kind of pissed off at your lies. When I typed the Oxley Act in google, I get this:

The Sarbanes–Oxley Act of 2002 (Pub.L. 107–204, 116 Stat. 745, enacted July 30, 2002), also known as the "Public Company Accounting Reform and Investor Protection Act" (in the Senate) and "Corporate and Auditing Accountability and Responsibility Act" (in the House) and more commonly called Sarbanes–Oxley, Sarbox or SOX ...

Followed by a shit load of websites like wikipedia, soxlaw.com, sec.gov etc. :confusedshrug:

There were other financial crisis bro. 2008 is not the only crisis that occurred in the States. Further more it doesn't even make sense. Why would they create the SOX when the financial crisis did not occur yet? It was OBVIOUS that the fraudulent activities that Enron and other companies were inovolved were serious enough for SEC to establish a more transparent disclosure requirements, among other things. Why? So that companies don't overstate billions of dollars in assets trying to raise equity from investors.

Why do you think the market crash of the 30's happened?
The mortgage bubble was a complete coincidence; it didn't really have anything to do with the creation of SOX. However, most economists thought SOX would help prevent such catastrophes. It was created to make information more transparent for investors; so they make more informed decisions of where to invest their money.

The financial crisis happened because of a theory. A theory that real estate market will increase once again; many investors had securities tied into real estate and when it crashed, it caused a 5 year recession.

That had NOTHING to do with SOX; SOX was used to inform investors of corporate activity. So you assuming I was talking about the 2008 crisis, is not my fault.

West-Side
07-23-2015, 08:40 AM
Hey dummie, she was pulled over for some BS in the first place, of course she will be thrown off by it... THEN the guy didn't even give her the ticket.. **** sake man. Then he gets loud, he escalates, because of a damn cigarete.... LET IT SLIDE ffs, you moron of a cop.

Many people get pulled over for stupid things; some react like her and some are respectful. Sometimes the cop is nice and gives a warning and sometimes the cop is a dick. Point being, it's always better to show respect and fight the ticket in court if you disagree with the violation.

You can call me names all you want, but I'm simply sharing my opinion with your guys on the matter.

ArbitraryWater
07-23-2015, 08:55 AM
http://i.gyazo.com/5ffe1569040589d0bd026646e9989eea.png

This is some ****ed up shit right here...

97 bulls
07-23-2015, 09:25 AM
I actually feel like the cop was looking for trouble in this case.

First, he pulls her over for not making signal while changing lanes. Seriously??? Are you that bored, Mr. Cop? :facepalm

Then he escalated the situation by yanking her out her car because she wouldn't put out her cigarette... :facepalm facepalm #2

Cops need to take some chill pills or something. They don't need to lose their cool over minor shit like this.
And then why was she in jail for three days??????

UK2K
07-23-2015, 09:30 AM
I actually feel like the cop was looking for trouble in this case.

First, he pulls her over for not making signal while changing lanes. Seriously??? Are you that bored, Mr. Cop? :facepalm

Then he escalated the situation by yanking her out her car because she wouldn't put out her cigarette... :facepalm facepalm #2

Cops need to take some chill pills or something. They don't need to lose their cool over minor shit like this.

You obviously didn't read the whole thread.

All your fallacies have been addressed.

UK2K
07-23-2015, 09:32 AM

THAT is a great ****ing question. The first legitimate question I have read in this thread.

The answer is, I don't know. She shouldn't have been unless she was being held until she awaited trial (dont know what all she was charged with, so maybe) or unless she was charged with something else while in jail (fighting, for example, will lead you to a longer visit).

I'd like to know the answer to that myself.

KevinNYC
07-23-2015, 09:33 AM
Assaulting a police officer, after the escalation. Held on $5,000 bond I believe.

And for those of you asking why she was pissed and uncooperative from the beginning. Have you seen how the cop approached her?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86SR84lRMAc

If I cop pulled a u-turn on me and then sped up behind me, I probably would think the cop was responding to a call and get out of the way.

So it seems reasonable to think that this is a manufactured violation and I was being fairly civic minded when I got it.

UK2K
07-23-2015, 09:35 AM
Assaulting a police officer, after the escalation. Held on $5,000 bond I believe.

And for those of you asking why she was pissed and uncooperative from the beginning. Have you seen how the cop approached her?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86SR84lRMAc

If I cop pulled a u-turn on me and then sped up behind me, I probably would think the cop was responding to a call and get out of the way.

So it seems reasonable to think that this is a manufactured violation and I was being fairly civic minded when I got it.

Looks exactly like every time I've been pulled over.

West-Side
07-23-2015, 09:37 AM
THAT is a great ****ing question. The first legitimate question I have read in this thread.

The answer is, I don't know. She shouldn't have been unless she was being held until she awaited trial (dont know what all she was charged with, so maybe) or unless she was charged with something else while in jail (fighting, for example, will lead you to a longer visit).

I'd like to know the answer to that myself.

I asked the exact same question in the other thread.
Great minds think a like brother. :cheers:

The reason it's such a great question is because that would directly answer the feasibility of her being dead in the mug shots. You follow people?

UK2K
07-23-2015, 09:56 AM
And I'm sure the cops retaliated with force during their altercation with her in jail.

She definitely didn't kill herself. Got into a fight with the cops. They accidentally killed her. Covered it up as suicide as I said in my first post.

No way in hell this woman killed herself. 1) Her behavior in the video. 2) Her assaulting a cop while jailed.
Too proud, too defiant to kill herself.

http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/12833146/instagram-account-university-pennsylvania-runner-showed-only-part-story

Her parents probably thought the same thing.

UK2K
07-23-2015, 10:02 AM
...the hell does that story have to do with this situation?

That this girl, who committed suicide, was probably thought unlikely to kill herself too.

Want me to break it down further for you?

I've known seemingly normal people who have committed suicide. There is no 'criteria' for being suicidal.

BlakFrankWhite
07-23-2015, 10:04 AM
If that Cop killed her...he should be publicly executed.

Hell, if it were up to me he would be hanged from the highest tree

KevinNYC
07-23-2015, 10:06 AM
:oldlol: @ this guy just won't give up. Listen you've started to argue semantics with me. I clearly said created. Which SEC did. THEY created all the guidelines and regulations about something that congress enacted.
You're still getting the basic facts wrong and you're still using the wrong language. The SEC did not create the Public Company Accounting Oversight Board, Congress did and this is very clear in Public Law 107-204, aka The Sarbanes-Oxley Act. The SEC did not and doesn't have the authority to create this Board.

If nothing else, at least, this discussion which teach how to use google better and perhaps not to assume question the honesty of people who disagree with you. Yes, if you put this into Google

the Oxley act

You will get your results. That search will return pages where those words appear anywhere on the page in any order. This is is why I said I searched Google for the exact phrase. To do this you need enter quotation marks around the exact phrase so that you would enter this into google.

"the Oxley Act"

Googling that exact phrase gives me these results
About 3,340 results (0.54 seconds)

[PDF]Sarbanes oxley act sox pdf - WordPress.com
https://hesicahyde.files.wordpress.com/.../sarbanes-oxley-act-sox-pdf.pdf
, ...
Examination of the White Collar Crime Penalty ... - LexisNexis
https://litigation-essentials.lexisnexis.com/.../app?...

Oxley act - Term Papers - HelpMyEssay.com

MLM: Oxley - 2GETHER WE CAN DO IT
www.2getherwecandoit.com/mlm-australia/act/mlm-oxley/

Mausoleum in Oxley ACT--Mortuary in Australian Capital ...
mausoleumsandmonuments.com/mausoleum-in-oxley-act-mortuary-in-a...

Amsterdam: CIMA This article discuss the regulations of the ...
www.coursehero.com › Kaplan University › ACC › ACC 205

Free Essays on Sarbanese Oxley Act Impact Audit
www.cyberessays.com/lists/sarbanese-oxley-act-impact-audit/

So Sandra Bland goes to jail because she wouldn't put out her ...
www.insidehoops.com › ... › Off the Court Lounge
Inside Hoops
1 day ago - 16 posts - ‎7 authors
Googling "Macho Man Randy Savage" returns very different results than "Savage Macho Randy Man"

See how many results you get when you google
"the sec created the sarbanes"

UK2K
07-23-2015, 10:28 AM
I'm saying it was an accident. She did assault them. They probably got into a big brawl...then accidentally hurt her somewhere fatal area of her body.

Even then, there are less lethal ways to handle someone inside the confines of a correctional facility.

I could understand if someone was accidentally killed during a particularly violent arrest, but there are numerous ways to detain someone inside a correctional facility that doesn't even involve you touching the detainee.

I get what youre saying, that it could have been a dog pile gone wrong, but even then there's no need to do that once you already have the suspect inside.

West-Side
07-23-2015, 10:30 AM
Dude the congress enacted the Oxley Act; SEC created all the guidelines and regulations in it.

We're literally arguing over nothing here. :cheers:

dude77
07-23-2015, 10:40 AM
I'm looking at Sandra's situation itself. No way a person goes from 100% defiant, self-defending to wanting to end one own life's in 3 days.

it's very possible .. she had depression .. people with depression .. true depression .. can be triggered into suicide fairly quickly .. especially if they've been dealing with suicidal ideations before which this lady had delt with before ..

I feel bad for this woman because she died most likely feeling alone and helpless and uncared for .. that's pretty sad .. if she had been bailed out soon after being arrested(seeing that someone cares and is helping her), who knows how her life turns out .. but when you're not in your right state of mind, you start twisting shit and magnifing whatever is going wrong, in your mind, and some people get sent over the edge as a result

UK2K
07-23-2015, 10:40 AM
So Sandra being defiant towards a cop and even assaulting one while held in jail is her way of hiding her depression?

You're talking about suicide in general...and not this situation itself.

I'm looking at Sandra's situation itself. No way a person goes from 100% defiant, self-defending to wanting to end one own life's in 3 days.

But investigators were examining online videos posted by Bland in March in which she talked about battling depression and post-traumatic stress disorder, according to Mathis.

Anything else?

Nobody thinks anybody will commit suicide.

KevinNYC
07-23-2015, 10:48 AM
Dude the congress enacted the Oxley Act; SEC created all the guidelines and regulations in it.

We're literally arguing over nothing here. :cheers:
Congress creates laws and the Executive branches executes and administrates. Run this google search and see what you get.

:cheers:

West-Side
07-23-2015, 10:52 AM
Congress creates laws and the Executive branches executes and administrates. Run this google search and see what you get.

:cheers:

The sections of the bill cover responsibilities of a public corporation’s board of directors, adds criminal penalties for certain misconduct, and required the Securities and Exchange Commission to create regulations to define how public corporations are to comply with the law.

I just did, didn't take long for me to find what I needed.

West-Side
07-23-2015, 10:55 AM
The congress passed the bill and Bush signed it. It's like it was an executive summary; the idea so to speak about its purpose. It was SEC's job to create rules and regulations that governed that idea.

It's kind of like the mayor of NY authorizes the construction of new condo's and ABC Construction Inc. are in charge of creating those condo's. :cheers:

HitandRun Reggie
07-23-2015, 11:20 AM
Double post

UK2K
07-23-2015, 11:22 AM
Why are people so certain she wasn't suicidal on this forum?

Apparently she had previous documented suicide attempts and the autopsy revealed cutting marks on her wrists.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/sandra-bland-said-she-was-depressed-attempted-suicide-jail-records-n396886

3 posts up :cheers:

But this was my point as well, no logical person could argue she wasn't capable of suicide, as I knew much more well rounded, happy people ending their lives who had no documented history of suicidal thoughts.

HitandRun Reggie
07-23-2015, 11:23 AM

Apparently she had previous documented suicide attempts and the autopsy revealed cutting marks on her wrists.

Millslapped
07-23-2015, 11:42 AM
West-side is such a ****ing bootlicker :oldlol:

KNOW1EDGE
07-23-2015, 12:23 PM
Using a black persons nostrils as proof they are dead in a photo = every black person ever photographed was dead

KevinNYC
07-23-2015, 12:48 PM
I just did, didn't take long for me to find what I needed.The exact phrase search yields two results, two. One is a student's paper and one is this thread.

KevinNYC
07-23-2015, 12:52 PM
And I'm sure the cops retaliated with force during their altercation with her in jail.

She definitely didn't kill herself. Got into a fight with the cops. They accidentally killed her. Covered it up as suicide as I said in my first post.

No way in hell this woman killed herself. 1) Her behavior in the video. 2) Her assaulting a cop while jailed.
Too proud, too defiant to kill herself.

The timeline of this doesn't work. The assaulting a cop took place during the arrest. That was on Friday. She is taken to jail. She contacted her family over the weekend and didn't mention any beatdown or anything that would have led to her death. She died Monday morning. So there's a second incident either a murder or suicide, I don't think it's anything from the initial arrest that led to her death.

West-Side
07-23-2015, 01:00 PM
The exact phrase search yields two results, two. One is a student's paper and one is this thread.

(13) RULES OF THE BOARD.—The term ‘‘rules of the Board’’
means the bylaws and rules of the Board (as submitted to,
and approved, modified, or amended by the Commission, in
accordance with section 107), and those stated policies, practices,
and interpretations of the Board that the Commission,
by rule, may deem to be rules of the Board, as necessary
or appropriate in the public interest or for the protection of
investors.

The SEC has full control over all the bylaws that govern the Oxley Act.
This isn't a student paper; here read for yourself.

Board = PCAOB
Commission = SEC

(5) BOARD.—The term ‘‘Board’’ means the Public Company
Accounting Oversight Board established under section 101.
(6) COMMISSION.—The term ‘‘Commission’’ means the Securities
and Exchange Commission.

https://www.sec.gov/about/laws/soa2002.pdf

You keep telling me the congress "created" SOX; they enacted it.
They passed the bill and gave SEC oversight over the entire implementation process; including the creation of bylaws.

UK2K
07-23-2015, 01:06 PM

Depression and PTSD were not the only alleged medical issues that Bland had mentioned in the past. The dashboard-camera recording from Bland's arrest also shows her warning the officer that she has epilepsy.

KevinNYC
07-23-2015, 03:32 PM
The SEC has full control over all the bylaws that govern the Oxley Act.

You keep telling me the congress "created" SOX; they enacted it.
They passed the bill and gave SEC oversight over the entire implementation process; including the creation of bylaws.I think the confusion is that you use SOX to refer both to the Act itself and sometime only to the accounting standards themselves and they are different things. However, you are still are misunderstanding the process of how this works. The SEC has oversight of the Rules, it does not create the rules. The Board, which is a private, non-profit company and thus not part of the government, comes up with the rules and proposes them to the SEC for approval.

In the ACT, Congress created the Board and gave the Board to power to establish accounting standards or Rules. (Section 103 of the ACT gives the Board the authority to "by rule, establish,....amend or otherwise modify or alter" such accounting standards.)

Congress also gave oversight of the Board and its Rules to the SEC. The oversight mechanism is that the SEC can modify or reject these "Rules of the Board" but the SEC does not create them. (Section 107 of the SOX Act gives the SEC the authority to approve (or not) and amend the rules. Rules don't have the effect of law until approved by the SEC.)

So a proper analogy is a reporter and editor. A reporter writes (or creates) the story, the editor has oversight over it, he can reject or amend the story, but he is not the creator.

West-Side
07-23-2015, 04:35 PM
I think the confusion is that you use SOX to refer both to the Act itself and sometime only to the accounting standards themselves and they are different things. However, you are still are misunderstanding the process of how this works. The SEC has oversight of the Rules, it does not create the rules. The Board, which is a private, non-profit company and thus not part of the government, comes up with the rules and proposes them to the SEC for approval.

In the ACT, Congress created the Board and gave the Board to power to establish accounting standards or Rules. (Section 103 of the ACT gives the Board the authority to "by rule, establish,....amend or otherwise modify or alter" such accounting standards.)

Congress also gave oversight of the Board and its Rules to the SEC. The oversight mechanism is that the SEC can modify or reject these "Rules of the Board" but the SEC does not create them. (Section 107 of the SOX Act gives the SEC the authority to approve (or not) and amend the rules. Rules don't have the effect of law until approved by the SEC.)

So a proper analogy is a reporter and editor. A reporter writes (or creates) the story, the editor has oversight over it, he can reject or amend the story, but he is not the creator.

It really doesn't matter.
The point I was making is that the "Board" is part of SEC.
Kind of like Apple has SBU's within its umbrella network. Just because it's a specific unit dedicated to a specific task does not make it a separate entity from SEC.

That's what I was taught by a professor who has had assurance experience for over 40 years. So when I said SEC creates those rules; they essentially do. People that work on the Board are dedicated to a specific task; they formalize the rules and send it to their boss (the SEC).

Kind of like ministries in Canada work.
There are multiple ministries (education, water, agriculture, health etc.) and they have specialized consolidation teams that creates the final financial statements by consolidating all the individualized financial statements for each Ministry. For instance, there are 147 hospital and 14 LINHs in Ontario; those specialized units collect all 161 F/S and combine them into one statement. These specialized units exist for each Ministry in Canada. However, in substance; all of them work as one. Similar to how the Board and SEC operate. If you have a problem with me saying SEC creates the rules and regulations, instead of the "Board" that's fine and I'll agree. However, they work under the same umbrella and their strategic purpose is the same. To protect investors.

So when I say the consolidation unit works for Ministry of Health; they actually do, despite their organization having a different legal name and they work from a building not a hospital.

KevinNYC
07-23-2015, 05:58 PM
It really doesn't matter.
The point I was making is that the "Board" is part of SEC.

It is not.

ArbitraryWater
07-23-2015, 06:34 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYim6pDZV0Y

Head on ground, Knee in back, because cigarette.... :facepalm

She wasn't even doing shit anymore, what a savage.

comment:

But one has to ask, why would someone who is "suicidal" have just travelled that far for a job interview? That explanation reeks to high heaven.

ArbitraryWater
07-23-2015, 06:56 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiSwzr-gbxY

nail on head

dude77
07-23-2015, 07:05 PM
damn I just noticed in the video of the arrest .. she tells him "I have epilepsy" .. he says "good"

oh the horror
07-23-2015, 07:45 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYim6pDZV0Y

Head on ground, Knee in back, because cigarette.... :facepalm

She wasn't even doing shit anymore, what a savage.

comment:

But one has to ask, why would someone who is "suicidal" have just travelled that far for a job interview? That explanation reeks to high heaven.

Don't forget bro, she was a weed smoker. Clearly a detriment to our society :rolleyes:

UK2K
07-26-2015, 11:46 AM
the Texas Department of Safety ruled that Brian Encina, the officer who arrested Bland, pulled her from her car, and threatened her with a Taser, had merely violated the state's "courtesy policy." The state said there was "no evidence" yet of criminal behavior on Encina's part.""

Not to say I told.you so or anything, but..

Notice how the article goes right to the officer pulling her from her car and threatening her with a taser.

97 bulls
07-26-2015, 01:45 PM
Not to say I told.you so or anything, but..

Notice how the article goes right to the officer pulling her from her car and threatening her with a taser.
I think he should be fired. He at the least harassed this woman. And was looking for trouble

oh the horror
07-26-2015, 01:46 PM
The officer is guilty of being a prick if anything. Outside of that I don't see much in the arresting video to really be in an uproar about. Two hot-heads encountered one another

UK2K
07-26-2015, 01:57 PM
I think he should be fired. He at the least harassed this woman. And was looking for trouble
Yep I agree.

He behaved unprofessional and lost his cool

Millslapped
07-26-2015, 01:58 PM
The officer is guilty of being a prick if anything. Outside of that I don't see much in the arresting video to really be in an uproar about. Two hot-heads encountered one another
someone that is supposed to uphold the law shouldn't be acting like that. he shouldn't have a job

Bankaii
07-26-2015, 11:56 PM
My god there's a lot of ignorance in this thread.
UK2K you need to do some studying, because you don't know shit about the law, it's alarming.

oh the horror
07-27-2015, 12:36 AM
someone that is supposed to uphold the law shouldn't be acting like that. he shouldn't have a job

I personally believe once an officer exhibits behavior where he shows a clear lack of keeping his cool in somewhat stressful situations he either should be pulled for an extensive psych evaluation or fired because he's been compromised and maybe can't handle the load of the job psychologically. Straight up

stalkerforlife
07-27-2015, 12:48 AM
That cop went disgustingly overboard and should not be allowed to continue in that profession.

RIP to the lady. Such a tragedy. Over a damn signal.

UK2K
07-27-2015, 01:55 PM
My god there's a lot of ignorance in this thread.
UK2K you need to do some studying, because you don't know shit about the law, it's alarming.

It's ironic then, isn't it, that the officer has not been, nor will be charged with violating any law?

The DOJ doesn't know shit about the law either apparently.

NumberSix
07-27-2015, 01:59 PM
I'd like him to be fired..... but that might be difficult. He didn't actually break any rules. It's perfectly legal for a cop to demand a person they have stopped to get out of their vehicle. He was certainly a jerk about it, but cops have unions. They aren't gonna stand for one of their own who didn't violate any rules getting fired.

West-Side
07-27-2015, 02:00 PM
That cop went disgustingly overboard and should not be allowed to continue in that profession.

RIP to the lady. Such a tragedy. Over a damn signal.

Uhm not really; but whatever, this story is old now.

RIP.

Bankaii
07-27-2015, 08:40 PM
It's ironic then, isn't it, that the officer has not been, nor will be charged with violating any law?

The DOJ doesn't know shit about the law either apparently.
Just because you aren't charged as being guilty of a crime by the screwed up judicial system doesn't mean you didn't commit it.

How gullible are you:roll:

NumberSix
07-27-2015, 08:56 PM
Just because you aren't charged as being guilty of a crime by the screwed up judicial system doesn't mean you didn't commit it.

How gullible are you:roll:
Guilty of what? What crime is it that you think he committed? I get that he's an asshole, but I'm not aware of anything illegal.

Bankaii
07-27-2015, 10:05 PM
Guilty of what? What crime is it that you think he committed? I get that he's an asshole, but I'm not aware of anything illegal.
That was in direct correlation with him saying not getting charged=not guilty of the crime.

I'm not saying the cop did anything illegal, unless him unlawfully pulling her out of the car with no indication of reason of arrest, all while using excessive force and ignoring possible medical treatment is illegal.

UK2K
07-27-2015, 10:54 PM
That was in direct correlation with him saying not getting charged=not guilty of the crime.

I'm not saying the cop did anything illegal, unless him unlawfully pulling her out of the car with no indication of reason of arrest, all while using excessive force and ignoring possible medical treatment is illegal.
What law did he break? Seriously.

You implied he's guilty of something. As I said from the beginning, he didn't do anything illegal. He was dismissed because he lost his cool, a punishment worthy of the mistake. (I think he should have lost his pension too, he may have, I'm not sure).

If he's guilty of some criminal act, tell me what it is.

Do you think he unlawfully pulled her from the car? Would you like me to explain why that's perfectly legal?