PDA

View Full Version : Horace Grant On MJ, Pippen, Bulls, and others.....

Dro
07-23-2015, 04:00 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_aYOQVWSCY

"Lebradford Smith had 38 points on MJ, and everybody was saying this was the next MJ. We had to play them again the very next day, MJ didn't talk to anybody. He had 40 at halftime.."

:lol

BigNBAfan
07-23-2015, 04:08 PM
Kobe was the last player that really the media hyped up to be the next him and Jordan after retiring actually acknowledged that he of all the 'next jordans' came the closest.

There never will be another GOAT. It's just great to see these ultra competitive players play to hold on their legacy even though their resume says it all.

Kobe did the same thing a few years ago... just a different time and era for ball.

Dro
07-23-2015, 04:13 PM
Kobe was the last player that really the media hyped up to be the next him and Jordan after retiring actually acknowledged that he of all the 'next jordans' came the closest.

There never will be another GOAT. It's just great to see these ultra competitive players play to hold on their legacy even though their resume says it all.

Kobe did the same thing a few years ago... just a different time and era for ball.
Yeah, I'm not even mad at Kobe. I've never been a big Kobe fan, but now I root for him because he's the old guy, I actually hope the Lakers have a good season.

But this interview kinda proves how much respect Horace has for MJ. Because in this interview he says how great MJ was, he was one of the greatest leaders ever, said he might not even be doing this interview if it was not for MJ. Says MJ taught him how to really compete. And when the dude asked if he gets tired of answering questions about MJ, Horace was basically like, its fine, it was an honor to play with him, he knew his own value to those championship teams so he's ok with constantly being asked about MJ even though he was the one being interviewed.

Also said MJ and Kobe have basically the same approach to the game but MJ was just on another level.

Said he's not taking anything away from Pippen but basically agreed that MJ carried those teams.....

Says Charles Oakley was basically his mentor when he came in with the Bulls..

Said the league is not as physical now and he believes that fans want to see physical ball. I agree with him. Its one of the main reason I think the NBA was better then, it seemed more physical and more competitive...

RedBlackAttack
07-23-2015, 04:25 PM
Said the league is not as physical now and he believes that fans want to see physical ball. I agree with him. Its one of the main reason I think the NBA was better then, it seemed more physical and more competitive...
Everyone hated the Pistons and that roughneck style of ball back when it was actually happening. Basketball fans are fickle. If there are too many whistles and/or rules, they'll complain that it's not physical enough. Unleash Laimbeer, Mahorn and Rodman... suddenly you have one of the most hated professional sports teams of all-time.

The league is constantly in flux... adjusting and re-adjusting based on the whims of the fans. Right now, we're in an offensive-friendly run. I'm sure a turn will come sooner or later.

3ball
07-23-2015, 04:25 PM
From OP's video - here's Horace Grant on Jordan:

"If it wasn't for MJ, I don't think I'd be sitting here right now. I mean, would've had a decent career, but for a leader like that to lead you to 3 championships..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_aYOQVWSCY&t=14m44s

Let's face it - there are 103,408 players whose career averages are 11/8 that we've never heard of - Horace would be just another one of them if it wasn't for MJ

ClipperRevival
07-23-2015, 04:28 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_aYOQVWSCY

:lol

This is the thing about GOAT level players, they can literally turn it on when they want too and take it to another level.

ClipperRevival
07-23-2015, 04:31 PM
In a side note, in MJ's last visit to Los Angeles as a Wizard in 2003, Kobe dropped 55. Don't think for a second Kobe didn't think about doing it against MJ. You know he wanted to leave a mark. That's what alpha players do. They want to send a message. They aren't contempt with just showing up and say, "aww shucks, we tried our best but lost."

ImKobe
07-23-2015, 04:35 PM
In a side note, in MJ's last visit to Los Angeles as a Wizard in 2003, Kobe dropped 55. Don't think for a second Kobe didn't think about doing it against MJ. You know he wanted to leave a mark. That's what alpha players do. They want to send a message. They aren't contempt with just showing up and say, "aww shucks, we tried our best but lost."

Last time those two met on the court, and Kobe had 42 against em at the half :bowdown:

Was also amazing how he spoiled MJ's big moment at the ASG by drawing a foul on a 3pt shot to send it to OT to win :applause:

Kobe and Jordan both did the same things and had the same skillsets, Jordan just had bigger hands and was a level above Kobe when it came to athleticism.

3ball
07-23-2015, 04:42 PM
Kobe and Jordan both did the same things and had the same skillsets, Jordan just had bigger hands and was a level above Kobe when it came to athleticism.

Nicely put.. Kobe with greater athleticism and bigger hands... a rich man's Kobe.. :bowdown:

Dro
07-23-2015, 04:49 PM
Last time those two met on the court, and Kobe had 42 against em at the half :bowdown:

Was also amazing how he spoiled MJ's big moment at the ASG by drawing a foul on a 3pt shot to send it to OT to win :applause:

No, just no...Stop..Its like you guys aren't content with Kobe's place, you have to constantly buff him up to be on MJ's level..He's not...Saying the only difference between them is hands and athleticism is a backhanded slight to MJ. Because those 2 things were out of both players control. They do NOT have the same skill set, where did you get that?

Smoke117
07-23-2015, 04:53 PM
No, just no...Stop..Its like you guys aren't content with Kobe's place, you have to constantly buff him up to be on MJ's level..He's not...Saying the only difference between them is hands and athleticism is a backhanded slight to MJ. Because those 2 things were out of both players control. They do NOT have the same skill set, where did you get that?

Seriously. I don't like either player, but Jordan was clearly noticeably better. Another thing that was in their hands was defense...and Jordan consistently put forth the effort and EARNED his 1st team defensive nods...they weren't given on reputation. Kobe will go down as some legendary perimeter defensive player because of those accolades and he isn't even top 10 all time. Jordan was even playing better defensive on the Wizards than Kobe has since the 2011 season.

Mr Feeny
07-23-2015, 06:05 PM
Seriously. I don't like either player, but Jordan was clearly noticeably better. Another thing that was in their hands was defense...and Jordan consistently put forth the effort and EARNED his 1st team defensive nods...they weren't given on reputation. Kobe will go down as some legendary perimeter defensive player because of those accolades and he isn't even top 10 all time. Jordan was even playing better defensive on the Wizards than Kobe has since the 2011 season.

This. As much as Jordan is a superior offensive player (especially from an efficiency stand point ) it's on the defensive end that he wipes the floor with any Kobe comparison. As you stated, a 40 year old Jordan was a better defensive player than Kobe has been for the past half a decade.