PDA

View Full Version : When did the glory years of the NBA end?

TonyMontana
07-23-2015, 05:02 PM
I'm not sure if I'm alone or if it's consensus that the NBA just isn't as enjoyable anymore as it is in the past. I've had NBATV on my mainscreen today and their showing "Hardwood classics". Even though I dont even know who wins some of these games, it brings me a kind of joy watching that I just don't get with the current product.

I think the single biggest factor that marked the "downfall" of the NBA in my eyes is the continued limiting of "handchecking" by perimter defenders until around 2005 where they got rid of it completely. It was previously limited in 95 and 02. Of course that was the year that had an absolute explosion of dominance by perimeter penetrating players.

LeBron, Wade, Steve Nash, Iverson all had breakout years. For Iverson not really a breakout, but he was one of the biggest beneficiaries which gave him a HUGE bounce back year. Kobe was hurt that year, but a year later healthy he had one of the biggest scoring years ever.

Some people might like it. It was cool at the time, but as the years go on it's becoming lame at how any little guard can go on a scoring binge. It's also one of the factors thats redefined the big man position into one where he just rebounds, dunks, protects the rim. It isn't worth posting up, when you can charge the rim without getting touched or hit a three.

For me the glory years isn't just a decade. The 80s was probably the highest quality with the best teams, players and the league wasn't really as much of a corporation as it is now. you could go to a game for a few bucks. Anyway Here are my glory years:

1980s: All-time great teams. Bird, Magic, Celtics, Lakers, Sixers, Pistons, Jordan. Like I said you could go to games for cheap as **** too. Before the NBA became the corporate machine it is today.

1990s: All-time great individual star power, not so much teams. Jordan, Stockton, Barkley, Malone, Payton, all the 7 footers I'm guessing this period is also when most of us on the board were little so it has that nostalgia going for it reminding us of childhood.

2000s: This is where it ends for me. Watching the Threepeat Lakers was great, all the up and coming wannabe Jordan swingman (iverson, kobe, VC, pierce, Ray allen) Duncan in his prime with the Spurs. Dirk and Nash have great memories. The ending point for me was after the era when the Suns, Spurs, Mavs were the elite West teams. And the Heat, Pistons were the consensur two in the East. That was the last time I feel the NBA was truly something special. It hasn't been the same since those years.

G0ATbe
07-23-2015, 05:08 PM
When Kobe retires.

BasedTom
07-23-2015, 05:12 PM
2015 playoffs

Droid101
07-23-2015, 05:30 PM
Once the collusion happened. It's been a cheese-walk to the finals in the east ever since. Half of the playoffs are ruined every year because of this.

kamil
07-23-2015, 05:36 PM
Once the collusion happened. It's been a cheese-walk to the finals in the east ever since. Half of the playoffs are ruined every year because of this.

So... the last 5 years?

ArbitraryWater
07-23-2015, 05:36 PM
Gotta be right now... never seen the top 6 teams of the NBA this good, and all with a chance of winning.. plus loaded rosters like MIA, CHI... just wow.

Imagine the 08-10 Lakers in this West, just another team with a slim chance.

NBA :bowdown:

Like OP said, in 2008 with the disappearance of elite teams in the West with Mavs/Spurs/Suns gone, it was just for the taking with the Lakers. Luckily, it got better in this decade... peaking right now.

Wade's Rings
07-23-2015, 05:38 PM

I don't think Lebron joining ruined the NBA but that would've added Another Contender in the East if he didn't join Miami. So even with Rose's injuries from 2012-2013 there still would've been 2 Contenders(much like the Mid 2000s).

AirFederer
07-23-2015, 05:42 PM
1993 or 98.

Doranku
07-23-2015, 05:43 PM

I would say '09 was the turning point actually. LeBron choking with HCA and his loaded 60+ win teams in 2009 and 2010 deprived us of the hype that would have been Kobe vs. LeBron in the finals.

We had to watch the Lakers against the shitty f*cking Dwight Howard-led Magic in 2009, and then a repeat of the 2008 finals in 2010. Granted, the 2010 finals was great, but those playoffs paved the way for LeBron "Give Up" James to flee from Cleveland to Miami.

And from there the rest is history. The East somehow continues to get worse and worse every year while the top talent in the league all end up on the same ~5 Western Conference teams.

Just a very bizarre setting right now which can mostly be attributed to LeBron with an honorable mention to the '08 Celtics for getting the wheels turning.

Legends66NBA7
07-23-2015, 05:47 PM
The ending of the 00's capped off 2 great years of basketball. I don't see why 08 and 09 should get much hate.

SuperPippen
07-23-2015, 05:47 PM
You guys are all fools. The NBA is doing better now than it his any time since the Jordan era.

And it's not like the quality of play has decreased.

KirbyPls
07-23-2015, 05:51 PM
Thread cliffs: Despite its current, ridiculous popularity and revenue, the NBA went to complete shit once Lebron actually got a team comparable with Kobe's usual stacked teams and won a couple rings. :cry:

KirbyPls
07-23-2015, 05:52 PM
You guys are all fools. The NBA is doing better now than it his any time since the Jordan era.

F**k outta here with that even-handed logical analysis. :mad:

thefatmiral
07-23-2015, 06:07 PM
the collusion. end of kobe. still enjoy the game though always will. duncans still playing too, as long as I can watch him and the spurs win ill be good. dont know what ill do when hes gone.

kennethgriffin
07-23-2015, 06:58 PM
When kobe and shaq split up combined with nba on nbc moving to abc.. thats when the nba transitioned into the next phase of fans. Allot of long time fans left. But allot of new ones were brought in via kobe/bron/wade picking things back up from the gutter

Itel never be quite the same though. I just remember way more prestige in basketball during the old days.. the way the jerseys and players look these days. Its just not the same.

Baseball messed up too.. with the roid scandal and players wearing baggy jerseys and pants that dip below their shoes.

Everythings just lost the classy vintage part of it. Golfers wearng flat brimmed hats like rappers or some shit... no more high socks..

Football and hockey becoming pussafied

Sports in general just seem to be full of f*ggots more than ever

Bernkastel
07-23-2015, 07:02 PM
Whenever the first dragon where Duncan and Kobe aren't playing. It will be a true beta league then.

TheBigVeto
07-23-2015, 07:31 PM
When David Stern became commish.

FKAri
07-23-2015, 08:08 PM
They haven't even begun. Still waiting on genetic tampering so we can get actual talent in the league.

TonyMontana
07-23-2015, 08:12 PM
When kobe and shaq split up combined with nba on nbc moving to abc.. thats when the nba transitioned into the next phase of fans. Allot of long time fans left. But allot of new ones were brought in via kobe/bron/wade picking things back up from the gutter

Itel never be quite the same though. I just remember way more prestige in basketball during the old days.. the way the jerseys and players look these days. Its just not the same.

Baseball messed up too.. with the roid scandal and players wearing baggy jerseys and pants that dip below their shoes.

Everythings just lost the classy vintage part of it. Golfers wearng flat brimmed hats like rappers or some shit... no more high socks..

Football and hockey becoming pussafied

Sports in general just seem to be full of f*ggots more than ever

good post i agree. Kobe/Shaq split and no more NBC were crushing blows. I still got a few more years of quality enjoyment, but by the end of the 00s it wasn't the same.

ArbitraryWater
07-23-2015, 08:14 PM

Yep, right now its peaking... low points were probably 2008-2010 West and 2013-2014 East.

TonyMontana
07-23-2015, 08:17 PM
Thread cliffs: Despite its current, ridiculous popularity and revenue, the NBA went to complete shit once Lebron actually got a team comparable with Kobe's usual stacked teams and won a couple rings. :cry:

Why should I care about the leagues revenue and how much they make from people paying hundreds for a ticket? It's not like I see any of that.

The league was better when it wasn't a mass media machine full of political correctness and hundred dollar tickets. More passion in the game, both with the fans and the players. Now you just got richies at the games, and the players on 80% of the teams don't give a shit.

You enjoy the style these days? Cool. thats your preference, but arguing that its better because they make revenue. Your just a sucker getting sucked of your money. and your happy about it.

Donkey4trading
07-23-2015, 08:27 PM
Yep, right now its peaking... low points were probably 2008-2010 West and 2013-2014 East.

the 8th seed in the 2008 and 2010 WC playoffs were 50-32.. what are you talking about??

Has that ever even happened before...?? all 8 playoff teams having 50+ wins..

2009 had six 50 win teams

compare that to 2011 where the west only had five 50 win teams... 2007 the west only had five 50 win teams.. 2013 had 5.. 2006 had 4..

if anything 08 and 10 especially were two of the best.. it's clear you have no idea what you're talking about here

Round Mound
07-23-2015, 08:41 PM
1980-1993. Best era.

Droid101
07-23-2015, 08:47 PM
the 8th seed in the 2008 and 2010 WC playoffs were 50-32.. what are you talking about??

Don't bother responding to him. He's the biggest Kobe hater on the site and will do anything to bring him down no matter what.

LAL
07-23-2015, 09:12 PM
Players are simply getting better, for example Mj i believe would have been ONE of the or slightly the best player in game today. MJ was simply ahead of his time (so was pippens athletism on both ends) and had a storybook career. Since his retirment everyones been expecting the next mj who will surpass or tie his records without taking account of situations,competition and luck.. i never got that, MJ to me hit the nba jackpot (greatness, era, acomplishmrts etc) of all the past and current greats, but i absolutely enjoy todays nba, it seems every year the level of the game increases (no stats just eyetest). I don't have an all time top ten list, but i do kinda have an "all time eras best" list because it makes most sense with the way this life works and i'm a grown man so i can think for myself. Not enough posters (loser kids and oldies esp) enjoy and appreciate the game.

Sorry for my english cyberbullies

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
07-23-2015, 09:19 PM
Gotta be right now... never seen the top 6 teams of the NBA this good, and all with a chance of winning.. plus loaded rosters like MIA, CHI... just wow.

Like OP said, in 2008 with the disappearance of elite teams in the West with Mavs/Spurs/Suns gone, it was just for the taking with the Lakers. Luckily, it got better in this decade... peaking right now.

compare that to 2011 where the west only had five 50 win teams... 2007 the west only had five 50 win teams.. 2013 had 5.. 2006 had 4..

if anything 08 and 10 especially were two of the best.. it's clear you have no idea what you're talking about here

http://i.imgur.com/Ouk9M.gif

Legends66NBA7
07-23-2015, 09:25 PM

Didn't want to go Iinto full detail before, but yes... The 08 West became the first time the NBA had a conference have all 8 playoff teams with 50+ win teams. Infact, the 08 East/West was very similar to the 14 East/West. Both the 08 Warriors and 14 Suns wold have been a Top 4 East seed instead of a Top 9 West seed. I always wondered if it was 08 the started the conference in balance debates.

WorldWarriors
07-23-2015, 09:26 PM
When the Eastern Conference fell off. Don't get me wrong, I still love the game but to me it was much better when the conferences were more evenly matched.

Hey Yo
07-23-2015, 09:38 PM
I would say '09 was the turning point actually. LeBron choking with HCA and his loaded 60+ win teams in 2009 and 2010 deprived us of the hype that would have been Kobe vs. LeBron in the finals.

We had to watch the Lakers against the shitty f*cking Dwight Howard-led Magic in 2009, and then a repeat of the 2008 finals in 2010. Granted, the 2010 finals was great, but those playoffs paved the way for LeBron "Give Up" James to flee from Cleveland to Miami.

And from there the rest is history. The East somehow continues to get worse and worse every year while the top talent in the league all end up on the same ~5 Western Conference teams.

Just a very bizarre setting right now which can mostly be attributed to LeBron with an honorable mention to the '08 Celtics for getting the wheels turning.
what an awful post.....thanks for the laugh

Legends66NBA7
07-23-2015, 09:43 PM
When the Eastern Conference fell off. Don't get me wrong, I still love the game but to me it was much better when the conferences were more evenly matched.

Yeah, I agree. 96/97 was the most balanced season IMO.

MJistheGOAT
07-23-2015, 09:53 PM
1993 and 1998 first death (MJ retiring)

2003-2004 (end of Shaq/Kobe, ***** rules)

2010 3rd death (collusion and the East **cking till now, West is stacked tho)

RightToCensor
07-23-2015, 09:58 PM
James Harden is literally the only reason to watch the NBA

WorldWarriors
07-23-2015, 10:55 PM
Yeah, I agree. 96/97 was the most balanced season IMO.

Looking back on that season the West looked then like the East looks now. They had 3 teams with losing records making the playoffs.

LOL that was also the year of the infamous Heat-Knicks playoff battle. Still can't believe Warriors traded Timmy for Gatlin and co. Ugh.

Rocketswin2013
07-23-2015, 11:19 PM
The NBA is great. And teams are arguably the most loaded they've been since the 80's.

ArbitraryWater
07-23-2015, 11:53 PM

I don't think record does justice to that... I mean, if you look at the West that time, there were what, 2 top teams? Lakers and '09 Nuggets?

Lets be honest about it.... NBA was thinner.

Look at the 2008 West:
A) records: oh wow!
B) teams: meh

Right now its inarguably the best since the 80's, perhaps THE best.

I mean, the 2011 and 2012 West is so easily better than the 2008-2010 West... that shouldnt even be hard to see. And West started peaking in 2014, really no debate.

ArbitraryWater
07-23-2015, 11:56 PM
Hell, the 2008 East had more top teams than the 2008 West :oldlol:

Heavincent
07-23-2015, 11:56 PM

lol what? The West was insanely stacked in 2008 and 2010.

Heavincent
07-24-2015, 12:00 AM
Hell, the 2008 East had more top teams than the 2008 West :oldlol:

The West had EIGHT 50 win teams compared to just three for the East. Also, the East had one team with 37 wins (:oldlol:) and 4 teams with 45 wins or less. In other words, 5 of the 8 teams wouldn't have made the playoffs in the West.

Rocketswin2013
07-24-2015, 12:16 AM
lol what? The West was insanely stacked in 2008 and 2010.
Not necessarily. The talent wasn't bad or anything but the talent was only relatively stacked.

For instance, peak/prime Boozer and Williams was really good. But harden is literally a tier above both and a healthy Howard is really, really good. As least as good as Boozer considering the defense. And then you have Lawson, a fringe all-star in the right situation/Lillard-level player without the hype, and players like DMO, Bev, Jones, Ariza, Dekker and maybe even Capela(watch out for him) rounding out the roster.

And that's just the Rockets. Arguably not even top 4 in the conference... Think about that.

I think a more accurate statement would be the '08, ('09) and West were extremely competitive. They were, but the current West is easily more talented.

Droid101
07-24-2015, 12:23 AM
People, seriously, AW doesn't post in earnest. He's a troll. Don't get pulled into his nonsense.

Young X
07-24-2015, 12:42 AM
lol what? The West was insanely stacked in 2008 and 2010.The West wasn't "insanely stacked" in '09 and '10.

In 2009 it was basically the Lakers and everybody else. The east had 3 of the top 5 teams in the league.

The west was good back then but it wasn't crazy like it's been from '13 to now. Today you have top 5 teams facing eachother in the 1st round and shit.

nba_55
07-24-2015, 12:43 AM
The NBA finals just gave the best ratings in 15 years, the ratings have been going up the last few year. I think we are in the glory years of the NBA.

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/nbafinalsgame3.gif

Doranku
07-24-2015, 12:51 AM
The West wasn't "insanely stacked" in '09 and '10.

In 2009 it was basically the Lakers and everybody else. The east had 3 of the top 5 teams in the league.

The west was good back then but it wasn't crazy like it's been from '13 to now. Today you have top 5 teams facing eachother in the 1st round and shit.

'09 Nuggets would have beaten the Magic, the KG-less Celtics, and probably the Cavs too.

Heavincent
07-24-2015, 01:17 AM
The West wasn't "insanely stacked" in '09 and '10.

08 and 10 both had EIGHT 50 win teams. Period.

GimmeThat
07-24-2015, 02:28 AM
probably when too much football plays appeared in basketball games

as for hockey plays, with every screen, might as well say it is a play with a stick in the hand. how the player moves after the screen, determines how well the play was designed, or instincts at flow.

wouldn't be surprised if too much of that lowered the rating as well.