PDA

View Full Version : which crop of point guards are you taking

The_Pharcyde
07-23-2015, 06:42 PM
mid 90's to 2000's- Gary Payton, John Stockton, Penny Hardaway

2000 to mid 2000's- Steve Nash, Jason Kidd, Steve Francis(tough choice...i didnt want to put iverson cause he played the 2 mostly, francis was an all star starter for consecutive years.. dont let how his career ended make you forget his peak.)

Mid 2000's to 2010: Deron Williams, Chris Paul, Chauncey Billups

2010 to present: Stephen Curry, Russell Westbrook, Derrick Rose

which are you picking

TheMarkMadsen
07-23-2015, 06:49 PM
Present because of Curry

only guy on that list to lead his team to a championship AND win a MVP

DOUBLE DRIBBLE
07-23-2015, 06:50 PM
Should of put Marbury instead Francis... Marbury was much better as a PG.

The_Pharcyde
07-23-2015, 06:52 PM
Present because of Curry

only guy on that list to lead his team to a championship AND win a MVP

fair but do you really fault payton and stockton for losing to 72 and 69 win jordan led bulls teams?

The_Pharcyde
07-23-2015, 06:53 PM
Should of put Marbury instead Francis... Marbury was much better as a PG.

did marbury ever snag a playoff spot as a leader tho? im not sure

i know francis made in 2004 and was an all star starter for a couple years by then

both were really the same type of player tho... nothing that special

outbreak
07-23-2015, 06:53 PM
What am I picking them for? Best careers/accolades or to play each other in an actual game/build a team with? If it's team building I take the current guys.

The_Pharcyde
07-23-2015, 06:58 PM
What am I picking them for? Best careers/accolades or to play each other in an actual game/build a team with? If it's team building I take the current guys.

not necessarily career and accolades because older guys have had longer to accomplish more... but at their peaks they have shown... which crop would you take

TripleA
07-23-2015, 07:32 PM

2000 to mid 2000's- Steve Nash, Jason Kidd, Steve Francis(tough choice...i didnt want to put iverson cause he played the 2 mostly, francis was an all star starter for consecutive years.. dont let how his career ended make you forget his peak.)

which are you picking

I would think Chauncey would be more of 2000 to mid 2000s point guard because he was drafted in the 90s. I would replace him with tony parker.

BasedTom
07-23-2015, 07:41 PM
I would think Chauncey would be more of 2000 to mid 2000s point guard because he was drafted in the 90s. I would replatoce him with tony parker.
tony parker was never good

Young X
07-23-2015, 07:42 PM
Early 90's >>> any other era when it comes to PG's.

Magic
Stockton
KJ
Thomas
Price
Hardaway

Those guys are real point guards not undersized SG's.

wakencdukest
07-23-2015, 08:36 PM

which are you picking

You forgot Tim hardaway, Mark Price, and Kevin Johnson.

The_Pharcyde
07-23-2015, 08:42 PM
You forgot Tim hardaway, Mark Price, and Kevin Johnson.

No I didn't

DOUBLE DRIBBLE
07-23-2015, 11:41 PM
did marbury ever snag a playoff spot as a leader tho? im not sure

i know francis made in 2004 and was an all star starter for a couple years by then

both were really the same type of player tho... nothing that special
Yes as matter of fact... And Marbury won more playoff games than Francis also.

2002-2003 Marbury lead the Suns to the playoffs and lost in 6 games to the Spurs in the first round. He hit the game winner to steal game one but Spurs were the better team and went on to win it in 6.

I wouldn't say they were the same type of players... You must not of watched either one play. They were completely different.

I don't put much stock in to Allstar game appearances... Especially starters. Fans vote them in... It's a popularity contest nothing more.

I know it's just a difference of opinion but I felt Marbury was the better player that's all.

Smoke117
07-23-2015, 11:46 PM
Kind of pointless (and hilarious how Paul isn't part of the 2010 to 2015 while being the best pg in the league...okay, haters gon hate) since the rules have changed so much to allow small guards to dominate since you can't be physical with perimeter players anymore.

Basically all those guys in the mid mids 90s to mid 2000s would be better now because of the rules we have now.

nzahir
07-23-2015, 11:47 PM

which are you picking
So when you say 2010 to present do I just get these 3 pgs or also pgs like wall, kyrie, conley, cp3, lawson, lowry? Hasnt been this many very good to star pgs since the late 80s early 90s.

The_Pharcyde
07-24-2015, 01:36 AM
So when you say 2010 to present do I just get these 3 pgs or also pgs like wall, kyrie, conley, cp3, lawson, lowry? Hasnt been this many very good to star pgs since the late 80s early 90s.

those 3

I took the most accomplished from that point on

The_Pharcyde
07-24-2015, 01:39 AM
Yes as matter of fact... And Marbury won more playoff games than Francis also.

2002-2003 Marbury lead the Suns to the playoffs and lost in 6 games to the Spurs in the first round. He hit the game winner to steal game one but Spurs were the better team and went on to win it in 6.

I wouldn't say they were the same type of players... You must not of watched either one play. They were completely different.

I don't put much stock in to Allstar game appearances... Especially starters. Fans vote them in... It's a popularity contest nothing more.

I know it's just a difference of opinion but I felt Marbury was the better player that's all.

i saw both, that was like 5 minutes ago they were doing things

im not necessarily saying they are the same in regards to play although both were high scoring, great ball handling, shifty point guards... im talking more their mentality to the game... me first, a lot of flash and a distraction to a couple teams throughout the years.. not committed to winning but fun to watch

DOUBLE DRIBBLE
07-24-2015, 02:34 AM
i saw both, that was like 5 minutes ago they were doing things

im not necessarily saying they are the same in regards to play although both were high scoring, great ball handling, shifty point guards... im talking more their mentality to the game... me first, a lot of flash and a distraction to a couple teams throughout the years.. not committed to winning but fun to watch

I wouldn't question their commitment to win... Stephon certain left his heart out on the court and gave it his all.

But I get what you're saying...

Anyways to answer your question I'd take...

Payton
Nash
Paul
Westbrook

But it's kind of hard to answer honestly because all the PG's you mentioned are very talented in their own right... It basically boils down to the teammates that surround them with... While some may succeed and others fail it all depends on what they have to work with... Their teammates.

Heavincent
07-24-2015, 02:42 AM
The one with Steph Curry.

ninephive
07-24-2015, 05:40 AM

which are you picking
I'll take the one who has more titles and more FMVPs than all the guards you listed combined: Tony Parker.