PDA

View Full Version : is Joel Anthony the worst starting Finals Center of all time?

Hey Yo
07-23-2015, 08:47 PM
He started all 6 games in 2011 and avg. almost 21mpg

1 point, 3 rebounds, 1 block.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/playoffs/2011-nba-finals-mavericks-vs-heat.html

Droid101
07-23-2015, 08:48 PM
He started all 6 games in 2011 and avg. almost 21mpg

1 point, 3 rebounds, 1 block.

http://www.cleveland.com/pluto/index.ssf/2015/07/cleveland_cavaliers_have_terry_15.html#incart_rive rwww.basketball-reference.com/playoffs/2011-nba-finals-mavericks-vs-heat.html
Pretty comparable to his regular season stats. Spo knew what he was getting from his starting center.

His starting SF however, played like total and absolute shit compared to the rest of the year.

BasedTom
07-23-2015, 09:02 PM
Pretty comparable to his regular season stats. Spo knew what he was getting from his starting center.

His starting SF however, played like total and absolute shit compared to the rest of the year.
http://i.imgur.com/iW4SZua.gif

Hey Yo
07-23-2015, 09:02 PM
Thanks for agreeing he is the worst.

Smoke117
07-23-2015, 09:52 PM

When's the last time you made a legitimate post? All you ever do is the repeat the same bitch made rhetoric.

Young X
07-23-2015, 09:54 PM
looks like Bran's 4th quarter stats

MJistheGOAT
07-23-2015, 09:55 PM

Ether.

Bye

ekosky
07-23-2015, 09:55 PM
:applause:

If the Heat had just a below average Center that year, they'd win the series.

SCdac
07-23-2015, 09:58 PM
Yeah, pretty shitty starting C for a finals team. in recent years, Spurs had Nazr and Oberto as starting centers, 06 Mavs had Damp, but Anthony is pretty bad. Not to mention he was backed up by geriatric Ilguaskas (he retired when the season ended), even older version of Dampier, 37 year old Juwan Howard, etc. When the Heat added Birdman (and got Haslem healthy) it gave them a certain spark they didn't have before

SouBeachTalents
07-23-2015, 10:14 PM
How about DeSagana Diop?

FLDFSU
07-23-2015, 10:16 PM
It was a miracle if he managed not to screw up a wide open dunk...

Locked_Up_Tonight
07-23-2015, 10:23 PM
How about Andrew Bogut?

He averaged 3/6/1 in the Finals.

If you go by salary, it is definitely him. He got paid 13 million last year.

Anthony got paid 3 million in 2010-2011.....

plowking
07-23-2015, 10:38 PM
How about Andrew Bogut?

He averaged 3/6/1 in the Finals.

If you go by salary, it is definitely him. He got paid 13 million last year.

Anthony got paid 3 million in 2010-2011.....

Andrew Bogut isn't close... what in the actual hell are you talking about?

Bogut is the best defender in the league and a top 10 center.

Heavincent
07-23-2015, 10:39 PM
Yeah, felt bad for Wade. Joel Anthony was the starting center AND his sidekick got outplayed by Jason Terry.

Heavincent
07-23-2015, 10:41 PM

Agreed, but he didn't do shit in the Finals. Ezeli contributed more in that series.

Locked_Up_Tonight
07-23-2015, 10:45 PM

And here I thought the OP was talking about production. Or does that not matter? Or that the best defender in the league had to be substituted out of the Finals and did not start the last 2-3 games? And didn't even play a minute in 2 of the games?

T_L_P
07-23-2015, 10:45 PM
Yeah, pretty shitty starting C for a finals team. in recent years, Spurs had Nazr and Oberto as starting centers, 06 Mavs had Damp, but Anthony is pretty bad. Not to mention he was backed up by geriatric Ilguaskas (he retired when the season ended), even older version of Dampier, 37 year old Juwan Howard, etc. When the Heat added Birdman (and got Haslem healthy) it gave them a certain spark they didn't have before

Birdman was Miami's 2nd best player in the 13 Playoffs, relative to the amount of minutes played.

Droid101
07-23-2015, 10:53 PM

I dunno man. Anthony was good enough to get to play the whole series. Bogut got benched for the last half of the series and his team went on to win the rest of the games in huge blowouts.

Seems Bogut was less helpful than Anthony by any measure. Taking him out won them the series.

SouBeachTalents
07-23-2015, 10:59 PM
I dunno man. Anthony was good enough to get to play the whole series. Bogut got benched for the last half of the series and his team went on to win the rest of the games in huge blowouts.

Seems Bogut was less helpful than Anthony by any measure. Taking him out won them the series.

While I won't dispute that, the '15 Warriors had slightly more depth than the '11 Heat. Who are you gonna replace Anthony with, Juwan Howard?

masonanddixon
07-23-2015, 11:12 PM
No, DeSegana Diop on Mavs 05-06 was much worse

midatlantic09
07-23-2015, 11:19 PM
At least Anthony is active down in the paint. Bogut is just dead weight who can barely move...

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
07-23-2015, 11:26 PM
Diop in 2006 pretty easily.

Speaking of the 2011 finals though, you should actually edit your title asking 'is LeBron James in 2011 the worst starting finals superstar of all time?'

Thank me later...

Prime_Shaq
07-23-2015, 11:30 PM
And yet had LeBron played up to HIS usual standard, Miami would've won

SouBeachTalents
07-23-2015, 11:35 PM
And yet had LeBron played up to HIS usual standard, Miami would've won

Not even. If he averages just 20-21 ppg they win. Hell, he scores 12 points in Game 4 instead of 8 they win

nba_55
07-24-2015, 01:05 AM

That's because they didn't have anyone to replace Joel, it was either him or Dampier I think.

Droid101
07-24-2015, 01:13 AM
That's because they didn't have anyone to replace Joel, it was either him or Dampier I think.
Warriors replaced Bogut with a Small Forward. :confusedshrug:

nba_55
07-24-2015, 01:35 AM
Warriors replaced Bogut with a Small Forward. :confusedshrug:

Heat didn't have the depth that Warriors had. Who would you have replaced him with? An injured Mike Miller?

plowking
07-24-2015, 01:54 AM

Do you do anything but try to sneakily insult Bron on here anymore? Shit is downright lame now.

Yep, Anthony was more impactful. Not like the Heat simply just didn't have any options at his position. First center they got next season and he was on the bench...

sportjames23
07-24-2015, 04:15 AM
Yeah, felt bad for Wade. Joel Anthony was the starting center AND his sidekick got outplayed by Jason Terry.

:roll:

Lebron23
07-24-2015, 04:19 AM
Do you do anything but try to sneakily insult Bron on here anymore? Shit is downright lame now.

Yep, Anthony was more impactful. Not like the Heat simply just didn't have any options at his position. First center they got next season and he was on the bench...

Lebron living rent free inside their heads.

midatlantic09
07-24-2015, 04:58 AM

Bogut is stinky. Dude isn't intimidating on defense at all...heck, if I were over 6'5 and had Westbrook hops, I'd go in and dunk on him.

No respect for his game.

aj1987
07-24-2015, 06:29 AM
While I won't dispute that, the '15 Warriors had slightly more depth than the '11 Heat. Who are you gonna replace Anthony with, Juwan Howard?
Slightly? It was Wade, Bosh, LeBron and scrubs in '11. The Warriors are deep as ****. Their bench player won the FMVP. Livingston would start on a bunch of teams.

masonanddixon
07-24-2015, 06:59 AM
Slightly? It was Wade, Bosh, LeBron and scrubs in '11. The Warriors are deep as ****. Their bench player won the FMVP. Livingston would start on a bunch of teams.

lol I love how lebron fanbois pretend that the role players on Miami would have any offensive role whatsoever on that 10-11 team with lebron, wade, and bosh taking shots...

You pretend that team wasn't as good as the other iterations yet it was absolutely dominant against far stronger competition in the East...just happened that the Mavs were much better than either Spurs squad they faced in the Finals.

Prime_Shaq
07-24-2015, 07:02 AM
lol I love how lebron fanbois pretend that the role players on Miami would have any offensive role whatsoever on that 10-11 team with lebron, wade, and bosh taking shots...

You pretend that team wasn't as good as the other iterations yet it was absolutely dominant against far stronger competition in the East...just happened that the Mavs were much better than either Spurs squad they faced in the Finals.
Nope, LeBron dropped the ball that year

aj1987
07-24-2015, 07:04 AM

Outside the Big 3:

Rio - Still a Garbage ass PG
Joel - One of the worst starting C's of all time
JJ - Horrible defender and can do nothing other than shoot the ball
Big Z - Washed up and was playing only to win a ring
Arroyo - :facepalm
Bibby - :facepalm
MM - Injured more than half the time

Yeah, it was the Big 3 and a bunch of scrubs. LeBron plays like he did in the RS and the heat would've WRECKED the Mav's. Would've been a '14 type beatdown.

Are you still pretending to be a doctor, BTW?

JtotheIzzo
07-24-2015, 07:27 AM
Joel Anthony was in there to play defense, he allowed LeBron and Wade to gamble in the lanes.

He is like Kendrick Perkins, cannot do shit on one end, but is formidable on the other.

Where is the defense is half the game crowd?

aj1987
07-24-2015, 07:38 AM
Joel Anthony was in there to play defense, he allowed LeBron and Wade to gamble in the lanes.

He is like Kendrick Perkins, cannot do shit on one end, but is formidable on the other.

Where is the defense is half the game crowd?
Except, he was average at best on the defensive end and it was 4 on 5 on the offensive end, whenever he was in the game.

masonanddixon
07-24-2015, 10:18 AM
Nope, LeBron dropped the ball that year

No, Dirk dominated the league. Marion made lebron his bitch (much like leonard, bowen, and iguodola)

Clifton
07-24-2015, 10:32 AM
There have been several terrible starting Cs in the Finals. Who started at C for the Nets in their Finals runs?

Locked_Up_Tonight
07-24-2015, 10:41 AM
There have been several terrible starting Cs in the Finals. Who started at C for the Nets in their Finals runs?

Kenyon Martin started. Jason Collins was the backup. Against Shaq in the 01-02 season.

Jason Collins started against Tim Duncan in the 02-03 season.

He averaged 4/5/.5 on FG of 33%.

MiseryCityTexas
07-24-2015, 11:16 AM
Jason Collin was pretty bad too. He was pretty much just the starter by default.

kshutts1
07-24-2015, 11:25 AM
Expanding beyond just centers... who are some of the worst starters on a finals roster in recent memory?

Clifton
07-24-2015, 11:26 AM
Kenyon Martin started. Jason Collins was the backup. Against Shaq in the 01-02 season.

Jason Collins started against Tim Duncan in the 02-03 season.

He averaged 4/5/.5 on FG of 33%.
I could have sworn I remember Todd MacCulloch starting for the Nets around 2001.

But at any rate... Jason Collins. Nuff said. He was current Perkins before there was even a prime Perkins.

Kenyon Martin starting at C isn't a great situation either. He was a very good player (especially with J Kidd) but he was like 6'8.

Clifton
07-24-2015, 11:27 AM
Expanding beyond just centers... who are some of the worst starters on a finals roster in recent memory?
Eric Snow?

They're mostly going to be eastern conference centers though. Because most EC teams didn't have any big men, but the top western teams always did. So the EC teams would need a big body to try and stand in front of Shaq, Duncan, etc.

To this day I can't get over how bad an offensive player Eric Snow was. I was always told he was in there for his defense, but now I suspect he was more in there because Allen Iverson wanted the ball in his hands 24/7...

kshutts1
07-24-2015, 11:35 AM
Eric Snow?

They're mostly going to be eastern conference centers though. Because most EC teams didn't have any big men, but the top western teams always did. So the EC teams would need a big body to try and stand in front of Shaq, Duncan, etc.

To this day I can't get over how bad an offensive player Eric Snow was. I was always told he was in there for his defense, but now I suspect he was more in there because Allen Iverson wanted the ball in his hands 24/7...
:roll: Eric Snow. I loved him. Not sure how good he was, but I always enjoyed that he seemed like a smart player, understood his limitations, had a reliable 15-18 foot jumper, and played solid D. Kind of like Andre Miller, minus the passing.

Then again, I was in my mid-teens when he was playing, so I'm sure my insights were anything but.

All from the '07 finals...
Sasha Pavlovic (10/2.5/1 on 36%), started 4/4
Boobie (11/2/2.5 on 44%) started 2/4
Hughes (1/2.5/1 on 10%) started 2/4. I want to note that this was still in 21 mpg.

Droid101
07-24-2015, 11:37 AM

LOL do you even remember your pointless trolling meltdowns over the past couple of months?

Why do you care if I jab the stupid branstans on here once in a while? I thought you were an actual Heat fan and not a bran knob-slobberer.

Locked_Up_Tonight
07-24-2015, 12:10 PM
I could have sworn I remember Todd MacCulloch starting for the Nets around 2001.

But at any rate... Jason Collins. Nuff said. He was current Perkins before there was even a prime Perkins.

Kenyon Martin starting at C isn't a great situation either. He was a very good player (especially with J Kidd) but he was like 6'8.

You are right, he did start against Shaq in the Finals. I just missed him on the lineup. Maccullough didn't do too bad. He averaged 8/5/1 in the 2002 Finals.

He wasn't on the New Jersey team in the 2003 Finals.

wakencdukest
07-24-2015, 01:27 PM
It was a miracle if he managed not to screw up a wide open dunk...

Exactly. The dude shot like .300 on wide open layups/dunks. The only reason he played was because he was a solid (not great) defender. Basically he was a bag of shit.

FLDFSU
07-24-2015, 05:00 PM
Exactly. The dude shot like .300 on wide open layups/dunks. The only reason he played was because he was a solid (not great) defender. Basically he was a bag of shit.

He seemed like a great guy but you are being far too kind. He got beat too many times to even be called solid. Honestly, he was just a big. That's it. His defense wasn't even solid. I wouldn't even say he was a net positive on defense (obviously on offense you might as well play with 4 men).

Sadly, he was still better than any other option we had on the bench at the time.

Real14
07-24-2015, 05:58 PM

end thread.