PDA

View Full Version : How do you feel about Andrew Wiggins?

TripleA
07-24-2015, 12:49 AM
He had a solid rookie year where he improved remarkably. I don't see him not becoming at least a repeat allstar, but how much do you think he can improve this year?

outbreak
07-24-2015, 12:52 AM
Borderline MVP guy, one of those guys that's always in the top 3 or 4 but never the over all best.

Milbuck
07-24-2015, 12:56 AM
A perennial top 5 scorer with great defense. Maybe an MVP or two if the TWolves' other talent pans out and they win enough games. But ultimately closer to a guy like Vince than top tier greats like Lebron, Kobe, etc.

FreezingTsmoove
07-24-2015, 12:57 AM
Hes going to make that Lebron, rookie star to sophmore superstar rise this year.

Akrazotile
07-24-2015, 12:58 AM
Serious question: is he related to Chief Wiggins from the Simpsons?

outbreak
07-24-2015, 01:07 AM
A perennial top 5 scorer with great defense. Maybe an MVP or two if the TWolves' other talent pans out and they win enough games. But ultimately closer to a guy like Vince than top tier greats like Lebron, Kobe, etc.
Yeah that's kind of how I see it. One of those guys who you mention when talking about MVP but the stars and season would need to align just right for him to win it. Either way he looks like a good talent.

JohnMax
07-24-2015, 01:08 AM
Its hard to project someone who has the athleticism of Michael Jordan and David Thompson.

Derrick Rose was the last guy to have that type of athleticism and he was MVP by his 3rd year.

Milbuck
07-24-2015, 01:14 AM
Yeah that's kind of how I see it. One of those guys who you mention when talking about MVP but the stars and season would need to align just right for him to win it. Either way he looks like a good talent.
He's a tremendous talent..I just stop short of the all-time great stuff though. My biggest issue with Wiggins is that he lacks the same feel for the game that other great wing talents like Lebron, Kobe, T-Mac, Wade, Durant, etc had. He has otherworldly athleticism, an improving jumper, and a pretty sweet post game developing. By that alone he's going to easily put up 25+ a night in his prime. But he doesn't have that same fluidity and creativity off the dribble that made Kobe, Kobe...or the court vision that made Lebron, Lebron..or the natural scoring instincts from all over the court that made Durant, Durant..or the crazy body control and that ability to see every little crack in defenses that made Wade, Wade...or a combination of all of the previous stuff that made T-Mac, T-Mac.

He's a much more mechanical player I think, but has some other tools that will still allow him to be a perennial all-star player. But imo people expecting him to be the best player in the world or a guy who can lead teams to multiple championships a la Lebron or Kobe...are going to be disappointed.

CTbasketball92
07-24-2015, 01:14 AM
He had a solid rookie year where he improved remarkably. I don't see him not becoming at least a repeat allstar, but how much do you think he can improve this year?

Its all going to depend on how much he improves handle and jump shot. I think people were wrong to question his drive and approach to the game. He's a gamer, and he always shows up when the time comes.

If he improves his handle and gets his midrange jumpshot to around 41%, I think he'll be a two way vince carter.

Nowhere near a lebron level player, but a perennial allstar 23-27 ppg on 46% level guy.

About 21 ppg, 5.5 rpg and 3 assists next year on 45% shooting. Very solid, maybe fringe allstar level player in 2016

outbreak
07-24-2015, 01:18 AM
He's a tremendous talent..I just stop short of the all-time great stuff though. My biggest issue with Wiggins is that he lacks the same feel for the game that other great wing talents like Lebron, Kobe, T-Mac, Wade, Durant, etc had. He has otherworldly athleticism, an improving jumper, and a pretty sweet post game developing. By that alone he's going to easily put up 25+ a night in his prime. But he doesn't have that same fluidity and creativity off the dribble that made Kobe, Kobe...or the court vision that made Lebron, Lebron..or the natural scoring instincts from all over the court that made Durant, Durant..or the crazy body control and that ability to see every little crack in defenses that made Wade, Wade...or a combination of all of the previous stuff that made T-Mac, T-Mac.

He's a much more mechanical player I think, but has some other tools that will still allow him to be a perennial all-star player. But imo people expecting him to be the best player in the world or a guy who can lead teams to multiple championships a la Lebron or Kobe...are going to be disappointed.

Well we all know any player with the right athletic tools could turn around and turn in a goat but to predict that out of him right now is hard because you are right he hasn't shown that natural dominance that others have shown early on in flashes.

gyu
07-24-2015, 01:21 AM
No because it's Chief Wiggum you're thinking of. :facepalm

FKAri
07-24-2015, 01:21 AM

No. He's this:

http://cdn2-b.examiner.com/sites/default/files/styles/image_content_width/hash/de/2f/de2f17feee91d2788818e413f2d3a5d0.jpg

Its hard to project someone who has the athleticism of Michael Jordan and David Thompson.

Derrick Rose was the last guy to have that type of athleticism and he was MVP by his 3rd year.

Plenty of guys more athletic than him in the league. His teammate Lavine for one.

TripleA
07-24-2015, 01:24 AM
]
Plenty of guys more athletic than him in the league. His teammate Lavine for one.

His second jump is unreal doe.

LoneyROY7
07-24-2015, 01:36 AM
No. He's this:

http://cdn2-b.examiner.com/sites/default/files/styles/image_content_width/hash/de/2f/de2f17feee91d2788818e413f2d3a5d0.jpg

lol no.

GimmeThat
07-24-2015, 01:53 AM
his playing style will be interesting. one of the thing that comes to mind with his shooting, is that I don't know if people on this board knows/remembers the way Lamar Odom shoots a 3 point shot: where he is always leans a little bit backward before he lets the shot go, compared to your normal set shots where you are taught to jump straight up for an easy release.

which then really goes in detail about Wiggins playing ability, where his jump shots really might settle closer to the T-Mac range as most other observers have pointed out here.

I'll tell you what tho, he's going to have one advantage that Kobe never really had. And that is if he can get his left hook up to par, as a perimeter player he can really give others some trouble with his size and length.

I don't see him averaging 30 and be your 8-10th spot playoff team, because that requires your teammates buying into that concept where you average 30. But as a 1st option, he needs to have better passing than Carmelo Anthony right around the 3 second area. Which would indirectly help him with his trick shots.

I think what maybe old school players really like about Wiggins over someone like Paul George, is that if you were to account the no longer existing hand-checking rule, players bone structures really matter. Which means it might take less stamina for Wiggins to get in position inside the 3-point line, compared to George, who is packed with muscle and would have to fight through the opposing defender as a 1st option.

He's still pretty young, and the first 3 years in the league will probably just be a wash in his career in watching and learning. Jabari Parker though, might be the next closest thing to another Paul Pierce if we did ever get to see one again.

TripleA
07-24-2015, 09:18 PM
bump

IncarceratedBob
07-24-2015, 09:34 PM
He's never going to be the best player in the NBA with Anthony Davis and D'Angelo Russell around BUT he's gonna be a Hall of Famer. I say next year he pushes his averages up to 22/5/4 with his peak bring 29/8/6

NBAplayoffs2001
07-24-2015, 09:35 PM
He's never going to be the best player in the NBA with Anthony Davis and D'Angelo Russell around BUT he's gonna be a Hall of Famer. I say next year he pushes his averages up to 22/5/4 with his peak bring 29/8/6

Russell had a horrible summer league so I have no idea what this basis is off of.

NBAplayoffs2001
07-24-2015, 09:37 PM

Spot on. I think he's the next Vince Carter personally with better defense.

noob cake
07-24-2015, 09:39 PM
Do I need to state my opinions again?

TripleA
07-24-2015, 09:41 PM
Do I need to state my opinions again?

Demar Derozan 2.0?

superteamtheory
07-24-2015, 10:35 PM
i feel he'll be a great -- the better version of T-Mac is my initial impressions of his roof... that's still a high roof... but it's worth noting T-Mac had some struggles and Wiggins may also...

but i can't feel much else because all i've seen so far is his more or less meaningless rookie season... or at least, my opinion is most guys don't start to make significant leaps until their 3rd or 4th years out of highschool...

he's not going to be an MVP candidate this year, the Wolves will likely miss the playoffs again and they won't suddenly rampage up the standings and into the Finals in 2016-2017... nah, it's gonna take some time, Minni fans gotta be really patient... probable huge payoffs coming in 2019-2022 (assuming all their guys live up to potential / stick around) ...

r0drig0lac
07-24-2015, 10:45 PM
at some point it will be the best player in the league

InfiniteBaskets
07-24-2015, 11:16 PM
The expectations have really died down. This was the guy who had the most hype since LeBron James coming out of high school. Didn't look ungodly amazing in college but you knew the raw athleticism was there.

Angel Face
07-24-2015, 11:22 PM
Smooth game, already good post moves developing to elite, looks like a high iq player, insane athleticism, will have great defense as he already shown in his rookie year, potential to be the next great scorer and the most important thing of all, he's a hard-worker .

With that said, I think he'll be the best player in his 3rd / 4th year and will be the face of the league for years to come. This kid has insane potential. His improvement from his 1st NBA game to his latest was a good indication. He looks a completely different player from where he is in November. This kid is the next torch bearer, From Bird/Magic > MJ > Kobe > Durant > Wiggins. Not bad!

El Gato Negro
07-24-2015, 11:22 PM
Hes going to make that Lebron, rookie star to sophmore superstar rise this year.
So you are saying he's going to put up something around 27/7/7 next year? Cause that's what bran did his second year at 19-20 years old same age Wiggins was last year. Lol at people still trying to say Wiggins can play defense in the NBA. Haven't seen it yet except for one whole play vs the rockets. Long way to go on the defensive end just to be a plus defender.

comerb
07-25-2015, 12:42 AM
I need to see one more year to see what kind of gains he makes on offense over the offseason.

I've always believed he wasn't a hard enough worker to be great. But we'll see next year.

Prime_Shaq
07-25-2015, 12:53 AM
He should be a terror from the 3 point line in and one of the best man on man defender but I don't feel like he can be the best player in the league especially with AD's growth.

JtotheIzzo
07-25-2015, 01:35 AM

Disagree. 'Feel for the game' is a cop out because he is still so raw. His post game, his ability to get his shot and his anticipation are very much feel for the game. He looks clunky at times because he is catching up to his athleticism.

Watch eary Dominique Wilkins stuff, very much in the Wiggins rookie mold, but Wiggins will bring the rest at a higher level.

theaussieguy
07-25-2015, 01:48 AM

Plenty more guys with a vert higher than 44 inches? GTFO

Sportal
07-25-2015, 02:03 AM
With these raw rookies e.g. Lavine and Wiggins, I've always said that I'm looking forward to their off-season. Lavine looks like he's improved already, but that was only summer league.

People trash on Wiggins about his handles.. Well, I don't know. Who's to say he's needed handles for the competition he's faced so far, prior to his rookie season? Maybe he's just got through his basketball life on athleticism alone, but this off-season will show a lot of what he's going to be about.

Lebron23
07-25-2015, 02:04 AM
He's good. He might become an all star next year.

Prime_Shaq
07-25-2015, 02:06 AM
With these raw rookies e.g. Lavine and Wiggins, I've always said that I'm looking forward to their off-season. Lavine looks like he's improved already, but that was only summer league.

People trash on Wiggins about his handles.. Well, I don't know. Who's to say he's needed handles for the competition he's faced so far, prior to his rookie season? Maybe he's just got through his basketball life on athleticism alone, but this off-season will show a lot of what he's going to be about.
https://instagram.com/p/5a7Aaso8vw/?taken-by=22wiggins
Here's some brief footage on what Wiggins has been doing

Sportal
07-25-2015, 02:41 AM
https://instagram.com/p/5a7Aaso8vw/?taken-by=22wiggins
Here's some brief footage on what Wiggins has been doing

Wow...

And that's exactly what I was talking about. That 3rd one was nice, behind the back.

Prime_Shaq
07-25-2015, 02:57 AM
Wow...

And that's exactly what I was talking about. That 3rd one was nice, behind the back.
Can't wait to see what he brings next season

FireDavidKahn
07-25-2015, 04:54 AM
No. He's this:

Plenty of guys more athletic than him in the league. His teammate Lavine for one.Lavine isn't more athletic, he just makes jumping look so effortless.

IGOTGAME
07-25-2015, 11:51 AM
Lavine isn't more athletic, he just makes jumping look so effortless.

Wiggins is definitely more athletic... i dont know how someone can say otherwise. Wiggins has all time level body control and agility for his size

Cocaine80s
07-25-2015, 04:29 PM
Absolute beast of a player. Best two way player since LeBron imo.
Nah, KD is.

Hes arguably a better defender than Lebron right now too (coming from a bron stan)

RightToCensor
07-25-2015, 04:36 PM
Andrew Wiggins' Trade Value is probably top 10-15 in the entire league. He's a highly touted player than looked impressive during his rookie season.

I have no doubt in my mind that he'll average above 20 points per game within his next two seasons.

red1
07-25-2015, 05:40 PM
future superstar. he has shit to work on but those tools are insane. guaranteed lockdown perimeter defender and can already create his own shot