PDA

View Full Version : Really realistic to say that Griffey Jr. would be all-time HR leader if healthy?

coolhandsteve
07-24-2015, 10:16 AM
For his whole career he averaged 121 games a season including his injury ravaged ones, so that number's even higher in his prime.

1995 (the wrist injury on a fantastic catch BTW) & 2001-2004 were the seasons in particular where the injuries were the worst & hurt his numbers some because they occured in his prime and then at the end of it. Not to mention the '94 lockout (no injury but he had 40 in just 111 games).

As it is Griffey has 630 homers, which had him 133 from breaking 762.

So if he plays even those average number of games, even just in those 5 years..do you think he eclipse Barry Bonds' 762 mark? I say yes..what do you say?

GIF REACTION
07-24-2015, 10:21 AM
For his whole career he averaged 121 games a season including his injury ravaged ones, so that number's even higher in his prime.

1995 (the wrist injury on a fantastic catch BTW) & 2001-2004 were the seasons in particular where the injuries were the worst & hurt his numbers some because they occured in his prime and then at the end of it. Not to mention the '94 lockout (no injury but he had 40 in just 111 games).

As it is Griffey has 630 homers, which had him 133 from breaking 762.

So if he plays even those average number of games, even just in those 5 years..do you think he eclipse Barry Bonds' 762 mark? I say yes..what do you say?
It'd be close but Barry GOAT Bonds prevails if he plays in 2005 and if they didn't intentional walk him so ****ing many times. He was hitting near 50 homers a year while smashing intentional walking records.

9erempiree
07-24-2015, 02:14 PM
No.

JohnnySic
07-24-2015, 02:17 PM
I somehow doubt it - Griffey missed most of those games towards the end of his career whe his hr numbers were on the downturn anyway.

9erempiree
07-24-2015, 02:24 PM
I love the two way players of the past. Bonds is still my GOAT and Griffey is on top of my list too.

These guys can hit, run the bases, and most importantly Golden Glovers.

Off memory, I believe Bonds has 8 Golden Gloves.

Thorpesaurous
07-24-2015, 02:28 PM
It was sort of just in the nature of the way that Griffey played that he was bound to get hurt.

9erempiree
07-24-2015, 02:33 PM
It was sort of just in the nature of the way that Griffey played that he was bound to get hurt.

He wasn't really reckless but he went all out.

Millslapped
07-24-2015, 02:45 PM
Baseball f*cking sucks.

MrC1991
07-24-2015, 02:53 PM
A little change of pace here.....

if bo jackson did not play baseball, and stayed relatively healthy his entire career, would he be the all time leading rusher?

Yes. Hes easily the greatest running back of all time/leading rusher if he stays healthy and has a long career. Another one if Barry Sanders didn't retire early would he be the all time leading rusher? I'd say yeah. :cheers:

9erempiree
07-24-2015, 02:55 PM

if bo jackson did not play baseball, and stayed relatively healthy his entire career, would he be the all time leading rusher?

Why does he have to quit baseball? His career was over due to a football injury. I think he still could have led in rushing while still playing baseball. :pimp:

Timmy D for MVP
07-24-2015, 03:42 PM
I'm not sure if he'd have been the all time HR leader, but I do think if he had stayed consistent and healthy we'd consider him one of the best 3 ever.

Sarcastic
07-24-2015, 05:08 PM
He probably would've been, but as they say "that's why they play the games". Projections are worthless. Actual production >>>>>

ThePhantomCreep
07-24-2015, 06:36 PM
What if Griffey juiced to the gills like Bonds? What if he used drugs to take his abilities beyond their natural limits, like Barry did? Would he own the HR records?

He hit 56 as a lithe 27-year old, after all. Bonds never sniffed that Pre-BALCO.

ThePhantomCreep
07-24-2015, 06:38 PM

Not a chance--he was already 28 when he suffered his injury and wasn't even close to the record. Wasn't even close to 5000 career yards, actually.

NBAplayoffs2001
07-24-2015, 06:51 PM
I think Bo Jackson sometimes is overrated. It's a shame Marcus Allen was benched behind a two sport athlete just because Al Davis had ongoing beef with Marcus Allen. More power to Allen though for sticking through all those seasons of barely playing and still becoming a Hall of Famer. He wasn't the most talented/physically imposing RB but his stats are really solid and his career shows longevity.

Terrell Davis if he could stay healthy for another 5 seasons would have been a 10k-12k rushing yards type of RB. I remember watching a documentary about him and how statistically his 2000 yard season could have even been 2300-2500 yards. Granted for a 6th? round draft pick, the dude was a complete steal.

KirbyPls
07-24-2015, 06:58 PM
I think Bo Jackson sometimes is overrated. It's a shame Marcus Allen was benched behind a two sport athlete just because Al Davis had ongoing beef with Marcus Allen. More power to Allen though for sticking through all those seasons of barely playing and still becoming a Hall of Famer. He wasn't the most talented/physically imposing RB but his stats are really solid and his career shows longevity.

Terrell Davis if he could stay healthy for another 5 seasons would have been a 10k-12k rushing yards type of RB. I remember watching a documentary about him and how statistically his 2000 yard season could have even been 2300-2500 yards. Granted for a 6th? round draft pick, the dude was a complete steal.

At his peak, he has an argument for GOAT rb in my opinion. His playoff rushing stats are unreal.

24-Inch_Chrome
07-24-2015, 07:11 PM
Possibly, definitely would have hit the 700 milestone imo.

NBAplayoffs2001
07-24-2015, 07:18 PM
At his peak, he has an argument for GOAT rb in my opinion. His playoff rushing stats are unreal.

I love Adrian Peterson but I would take peak Terrell Davis

KirbyPls
07-24-2015, 07:43 PM
I love Adrian Peterson but I would take peak Terrell Davis

Yep.

raiderfan19
07-24-2015, 10:28 PM
Peak jim brown is basically the unquestioned goat rb.

bdreason
07-24-2015, 10:44 PM
Terrell Davis ran behind the best line in the league for most of his career. Every RB they plugged into that system was posting big rushing numbers. I'm not saying he wasn't a beast, but he's not in the GOAT RB conversation, no way.

As for Griffey, he was my favorite baseball player growing up. I was in Jr. High when he entered the league, and I collected every Griffey Jr. Rookie card that existed. His talent was so immense that he made great plays look effortless. If he had remained healthy his entire career, I think he could have been in the GOAT conversation.

Bless Mathews
07-24-2015, 11:51 PM
Griffey woulda beat it for sure.

Best swing ever.

Best two way player peak ever.

Bo same.

If he woulda went straight to NFL and no baseball, and stayed healthy, depending how long he woulda played, he'd definitely be up there.

Best back ever. At least top 3.

Unmatched size speed and strength.

raiderfan19
07-25-2015, 09:13 AM
Griffey was never quite as good as everyone pretends he was because he didn't walk enough. All time great for sure but he would never have been in the "goat"discussion because his obp was too low(it was great for a mortal at .400 roughly but way below the legit goat tier players.

raiderfan19
07-25-2015, 09:14 AM
Also on bonds it always annoys me when people pretend that he was both the great all around player he was in his youth and the goat hitter he was post steroids at the same time. He wasn't. He couldn't field or run anymore by the time he was the 350/5 or 600/800 monster he became at the end.

GIF REACTION
07-25-2015, 09:15 AM
Griffey was never quite as good as everyone pretends he was because he didn't walk enough. All time great for sure but he would never have been in the "goat"discussion because his obp was too low(it was great for a mortal at .400 roughly but way below the legit goat tier players.
Unlike a legend by the name of Barry Bonds.

christian1923
07-25-2015, 09:48 AM
Arod has to be in the discussion for greatest 2 way peak player

raiderfan19
07-25-2015, 10:06 AM
I would think the best two way players ever by position would be c-bench, rodriguez, 1b-pujols, Gehrig 2b-Morgan, alomar, ss-arod, Wagner 3b Schmidt, Brett of-mays mantle Griffey, Cobb, bonds and trout

Sarcastic
07-26-2015, 05:16 AM
I would think the best two way players ever by position would be c-bench, rodriguez, 1b-pujols, Gehrig 2b-Morgan, alomar, ss-arod, Wagner 3b Schmidt, Brett of-mays mantle Griffey, Cobb, bonds and trout

Where is Ruth? He is BY FAR the greatest hitter of all time, and would be a HOF pitcher if he remained as one. I can't think of a better 2 way than that.

9erempiree
07-26-2015, 06:40 AM
Also on bonds it always annoys me when people pretend that he was both the great all around player he was in his youth and the goat hitter he was post steroids at the same time. He wasn't. He couldn't field or run anymore by the time he was the 350/5 or 600/800 monster he became at the end.

When he came to the Giants he was hitting homeruns and stealing bases still. He was 30/30 almost every year and one year came short of it. He dropped off in the 2000's because of age. Your speed tend to go before your hitting so I am not going to blame him there. He also got his fair shares of doubles and triples too.

I watch a lot of Giants games as a kid and a lot during Bonds' career. He was stealing bases and played great in the outfield still. He did drop off during the tail end of his career but he had a good arm.

raiderfan19
07-26-2015, 11:15 AM
When he came to the Giants he was hitting homeruns and stealing bases still. He was 30/30 almost every year and one year came short of it. He dropped off in the 2000's because of age. Your speed tend to go before your hitting so I am not going to blame him there. He also got his fair shares of doubles and triples too.

I watch a lot of Giants games as a kid and a lot during Bonds' career. He was stealing bases and played great in the outfield still. He did drop off during the tail end of his career but he had a good arm.
I'm not saying it wasn't understandable. I'm saying he when he's compared to Ruth and Williams people include his defense but when he could defend he couldn't hit like them.