PDA

View Full Version : New Popovich interview about Kerr, Hammond, Basketball and the offseason

Purch
07-24-2015, 11:12 AM
It's 28 minutes long, and filled with a lot of great insight... so make sure you actually have the time to sit through it... definitly worth the listen

http://www.knbr.com/2015/07/23/popovich-warriors-highly-intelligent-and-mature-under-kerr/

WorldWarriors
07-24-2015, 12:02 PM
It's 28 minutes long, and filled with a lot of great insight... so make sure you actually have the time to sit through it... definitly worth the listen

http://www.knbr.com/2015/07/23/popovich-warriors-highly-intelligent-and-mature-under-kerr/

Thanks for posting.

Clifton
07-24-2015, 12:10 PM
I love the idea that Pop is not a "basketball lifer."

I've had coaches and teachers who were "lifers," and coaches and teachers who were not. On the whole, the ones who were not "lifers" and who stuck with it anyway have been more valuable to me.

GreggPopazit
07-24-2015, 12:20 PM
I love the idea that Pop is not a "basketball lifer."

I've had coaches and teachers who were "lifers," and coaches and teachers who were not. On the whole, the ones who were not "lifers" and who stuck with it anyway have been more valuable to me.

It is just sad that he is so much better than "lifers."

Purch
07-24-2015, 02:20 PM
The best part about the interview is his speech about "basketball lifers"...

You get the feeling reading about them during their coaching days that neither Phil or Pat Riley were "basketball lifers" either. They seemed to not take it personally whether they won or loss.

Larry Brown, Tom Thibs, Scott Skiles.. I feel could all fall into the category of basketball lifers

Locked_Up_Tonight
07-24-2015, 02:47 PM
Just my take but:

Part of the reason why he isn't a "lifer" is because one of his mentors was Don Nelson who wasn't a "lifer" either. Nellie would pop open a beer during his coach's interviews after games. And during his coaching career in the offseason (even now) would basically be away from the game in Hawaii....

Natureland
07-24-2015, 03:39 PM
I haven't listened to the interview yet, but that perceived detachment from the game probably helps him and guys like Phil. Having a bigger perspective outside of the game and on life most likely lessens the pressure of doing their job. Kerr even kinda mentioned having the same thought process on his Lowe Post interview.

I also feel like a lot star players give those kind of "I'm just going to enjoy the game now" type comments in their careers. Makes the job easier and really it's not like they still don't want to win, it's just realizing it's not the end of the world if you don't.

FireDavidKahn
07-24-2015, 03:41 PM
BECKY HAMMON
HAMMON

No D.

Ca$H
07-24-2015, 03:46 PM
BECKY HAMMON
HAMMON

No D.

She probably takes the D from the Spurs players though.