PDA

View Full Version : Deron before he sucks

Prime_Shaq
07-25-2015, 02:55 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5N15zlea-E

At a time where he was on par with CP3

kennethgriffin
07-25-2015, 02:58 AM
its quite obvious the reason he sucks now is cause he has half the speed/quickness he once had

that and hes chunky/lazy.. has tmac's disease...

and he was never really that amazing. allot of his game was just having great team mates making him look good

The Custodian
07-25-2015, 03:02 AM
its quite obvious the reason he sucks now is cause he has half the speed/quickness he once had

that and hes chunky/lazy.. has tmac's disease...

and he was never really that amazing. allot of his game was just having great team mates making him look good
What about when he was leading them to the conference finals who was the other players on his team? What about when he would outplay CP3 on EVERY occasion (fact) What about taking a team of scrubs to the playoffs, or being the first player to have 20pts 10assists every game in a series? (vs nuggets) You may say the system made him, but you are wrong that he had great teammates that gave him his success. He WAS considered the best PG in the game at one point

Bosnian Sajo
07-25-2015, 03:46 AM
Deron Williams was at one point better and more successful than CP3, it all went wrong once he was traded.

Lebron23
07-25-2015, 03:49 AM
He was also hurt, and got injured. And He was never the same player.

bdreason
07-25-2015, 03:56 AM
I don't think he was ever as good all-around as CP3, but with his size, he was a bad matchup for CP3.

bballbball
07-25-2015, 05:44 AM
Him and Jerry Sloan split and his career hasn't been the same since.

GimmeThat
07-25-2015, 06:55 AM
Probably one of the things that made him special was similar to Tony Parker, his passes can be kept low, which indirectly helps the turn over rate, for whoever was counting those aggressive and passive turnovers.

His ability to out played Chris Paul earlier in their career probably thanks to his size, he can dribble penetrate and make the pass over his defender where as having to kick it out for a 3.

similar to the clip in Kobe doing work, when he runs that pick and roll with Pau Gasol, and really keep Tim Duncan on how and where to help. Which translates into easy basket.

Watching him in the right situation matching up against James Harden, would probably be highly entertaining.

duskovujosevic
07-25-2015, 07:24 AM
i can't recall he suffered major injuries.

problem with him is lack of work ethic

Xiao Yao You
07-25-2015, 09:35 AM
What about when he was leading them to the conference finals who was the other players on his team? What about when he would outplay CP3 on EVERY occasion (fact) What about taking a team of scrubs to the playoffs, or being the first player to have 20pts 10assists every game in a series? (vs nuggets) You may say the system made him, but you are wrong that he had great teammates that gave him his success. He WAS considered the best PG in the game at one point

The conference finals has a big asterisk as far as I'm concerned. They played the 8 seed in the 2nd round. They wouldn't have beaten the #1 seed. He was never better than Paul because of his defense.

avonbarksdale
07-25-2015, 10:01 AM
he used to be gross. he was even sick in new jersey for a bit

ArbitraryWater
07-25-2015, 10:29 AM
he used to be gross. he was even sick in new jersey for a bit

never....

lazy shit, got fat, also, Jerry Sloan..

keep-itreal
07-25-2015, 10:32 AM
system player.

Exposed without Sloan

Lebron23
07-25-2015, 10:34 AM
never....

lazy shit, got fat, also, Jerry Sloan..

He averaged 21 ppg, and 9 rpg in the 2012 NBA Season with the Nets.

ralph_i_el
07-25-2015, 10:43 AM
Deron will bounce back playing alongside Dirk.

He hasn't been healthy in a minute, but he can still:

-shoot the lights out (off the dribble or spot up)
-make the right pass

And that's all you need next to dirk. The Mavs are going to have some beautiful spacing.

WorldWarriors
07-25-2015, 02:05 PM
He had Boozer to pass to. They were calling them the new Stockton and Malone. They had a solid squad and played good D with AK47 and Millsap coming off the bench. They killed my Dubs in the 2nd round.:roll: :roll:

I think he was a vey good point guard but it helped being in Sloan's system.

Smoke117
07-25-2015, 02:15 PM
He was a product of Jerry Sloan...then he got an ego and thought he could do it elsewhere under his own terms...no.

imnew09
07-25-2015, 02:16 PM
Got paid

WorldWarriors
07-25-2015, 02:17 PM
He was a product of Jerry Sloan...then he got an ego and thought he could do it elsewhere under his own terms...no. Still don't know what he did to make Sloan retire so abruptly.

Clifton
07-25-2015, 02:18 PM
I don't remember Korver being on the Jazz.

Nobody talks about this any more, but Jerry Sloan might be the greatest coach of all time. Deron and those Jazz were beautiful to watch. It's amazing how much he got out of his players. Kirilenko... Memo... Boozer... and Deron, IIRC all those players have been totally irrelevant except for their years under Sloan.

If I were to put Pop over Sloan it would be because of his ability to adapt his vision to changing circumstances. I.e. finding a way to take advantage of analytics and the 3-ball even though he obviously prefers more old-school low-block play. I could see Sloan not adapting his approach and getting outmoded.

WorldWarriors
07-25-2015, 02:21 PM
I don't remember Korver being on the Jazz.

Nobody talks about this any more, but Jerry Sloan might be the greatest coach of all time. Deron and those Jazz were beautiful to watch. It's amazing how much he got out of his players. Kirilenko... Memo... Boozer... and Deron, IIRC all those players have been totally irrelevant except for their years under Sloan. I was trying to remember who their center was. Memo, lol. I think Millsap is doing ok though.

Smoke117
07-25-2015, 02:22 PM
Still don't know what he did to make Sloan retire so abruptly.

He should be worshiping Jerry for ever making people think he was ever close to the same tier as CP3. Paul could go to any team in the league and under any system and be the same great player...this guy though...ehhhh.

Young X
07-25-2015, 02:29 PM
Always liked his game. Terrific passer/court vision, very good jumpshooter, and had the meanest crossover in the league.

Nobody remembers, but D-Will was playing at this level for most of 2013. He was playing the best basketball of his career post AS break that season. Too bad he's fat/lazy/injured.

Clifton
07-25-2015, 02:29 PM
I think Millsap is doing ok though.
This is true. But look who their coach is... B and Kerr are the Sloan and Pop of the 3-ball era.

A great coach makes a huge difference. I love Millsap but what makes him different from any other undersized 4 with heart? It's his coachability and B's coaching.

WorldWarriors
07-25-2015, 03:15 PM
This is true. But look who their coach is... B and Kerr are the Sloan and Pop of the 3-ball era.

A great coach makes a huge difference. I love Millsap but what makes him different from any other undersized 4 with heart? It's his coachability and B's coaching. Right. I don't disagree with anything you've said.

SugarHill
07-25-2015, 07:06 PM
the system player shit is overblown tbh. He was a pretty big PG, had a great and effective crossover, could shoot and was a great passer. I think it's injuries that did him, not being in the wrong system.

Choke94
07-26-2015, 11:30 AM
One of the most disrespectful players in the history of the game; he went against the coach that was responsible for his success because of his huge ego.
As if he was already bigger than Stockton and a HOFer...:facepalm
But as we all know, Karma is a bitch :pimp:

WorldWarriors
07-26-2015, 02:06 PM
Well maybe he can shake off all that bad juju with a fresh start in Dallas. Dirk deserves to have some good people around him.

prodigyjazz
07-26-2015, 07:31 PM
I made this video of him after we traded him:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNb9OHyPkNc

for us he was great, lots of great memories, easily best PG on our team since Stockton

bobopenguin
07-26-2015, 08:45 PM
most of ppl here has no idea how good deron is.

give him a right setup again, he would fly.

in deron we trust.

Cali Syndicate
07-26-2015, 09:07 PM
Hed still be in the convo as a top pg if he still had a reliable jumpshot. Harder to break down defenses and play make the way he used when the explosive first step is gone and the primary defender sags off because the jumper is no longer respectable. Can blame it on injuries, weight gain, playing with better cast in utah, whatever....probably a combination of a lot of things.

STATUTORY
07-27-2015, 07:55 AM
most of ppl here has no idea how good deron is.

give him a right setup again, he would fly.

in deron we trust.

that's exactly what people are saying, system player

Nick Young
07-27-2015, 09:52 AM
Deron was a product of Jerry Sloan's amazing system and coaching. Deron driving Sloan out of Utah came back to bite him in the ass and I'm glad. This is karma.

RidonKs
07-27-2015, 10:14 AM
i trust deron will be an amazing fit in dallas

Djax12
07-27-2015, 09:52 PM
Was a fan of him during his years with the Jazz.
I remembered in one interview he said he loved how ronnie brewer cut to the basket when he drive inside off a pick.
I think he is very effective with the Jazz because in Sloan system players cut hard to the basket while shooters pop out to the perimeter following a pick and roll.
That made Deron a multiple threat to the defense and he had many options.

I don't watch his games with the Nets that often, but may I guess that there's not many off the ball movement in Nets offense?

TheBigVeto
07-27-2015, 10:01 PM
The Jerry Sloan curse... he can't beat that.
Should've stayed in Utah and continued Stockton's legacy.

Djax12
07-27-2015, 10:18 PM
Still don't know what he did to make Sloan retire so abruptly.

Things had built up for quite a while, but the boiling point was in the game vs the bulls (off all teams, bad things kept happening for Sloan in game against them :oldlol: )
Sloan ordered Deron to run a play just before halftime, Deron decided to run another play.
The argument continued in the locker room, and after that Sloan felt that he had enough.

brandonislegend
07-27-2015, 10:19 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQ9bk3hY6Qw

The play that ruined him.

WorldWarriors
07-27-2015, 10:28 PM
Things had built up for quite a while, but the boiling point was in the game vs the bulls (off all teams, bad things kept happening for Sloan in game against them :oldlol: )
Sloan ordered Deron to run a play just before halftime, Deron decided to run another play.
The argument continued in the locker room, and after that Sloan felt that he had enough.

Thanks for answering! I remember when he retired. To outsiders it seemed to be out of the blue and quite shocking. A coach like Sloan doesn't just quit. There were rumblings that it had to do with Deron but I hadn't heard anything specific. Then of course Deron was traded shortly thereafter.

EveryManALion
07-28-2015, 12:02 AM
http://cdn.fansided.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/216/files/2012/06/Deron_Williams_Happy_BDay_Billboard.jpg

lolzzzzzzz

Prime_Shaq
07-28-2015, 02:14 AM
http://cdn.fansided.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/216/files/2012/06/Deron_Williams_Happy_BDay_Billboard.jpg

lolzzzzzzz
:oldlol: