PDA

View Full Version : Do even NBA players get caught up looking at the ball/arms when defending?

ClipperRevival
07-25-2015, 01:28 PM
Instead of the hip area? Guys usually get crossed over badly when they get caught up looking at the ball/arms/shoulder area instead of looking at the hips. No matter what an offensive player does with the ball/arms/shoulder, he will only go where his hips will go. That's the best way to consistently play good man D and keep your man in front of you.

What are your thoughts on this? Do you agree or disagree? I think a lot of people forget this basic fundamental sometimes, even NBA players.

The_Pharcyde
07-25-2015, 01:50 PM
i lock people down and use this as a major baseline for defense

TheMarkMadsen
07-25-2015, 01:51 PM
jason collins

smoovegittar
07-25-2015, 02:12 PM
Instead of the hip area? Guys usually get crossed over badly when they get caught up looking at the ball/arms/shoulder area instead of looking at the hips. No matter what an offensive player does with the ball/arms/shoulder, he will only go where his hips will go. That's the best way to consistently play good man D and keep your man in front of you.

What are your thoughts on this? Do you agree or disagree? I think a lot of people forget this basic fundamental sometimes, even NBA players.

It's what I was taught, and find it to be correct.

sundizz
07-25-2015, 02:20 PM
I think it depends on the player. It is a decent "fundamental" rule to teach to young kids, but honestly it is not realistic at all.

If you are watching someone's hips then you are pretty much oblivious to what is going on around the court, including screens, backdoor passes, other offensive players, etc.

I find it much much much more effective to look at a player's eyes. Maybe at the NBA level guards etc are tricky enough to look a different way and pass, but that happens maybe 5% of the time.

For me, I look at people's eyes and am thus able to see when they want to use a screen, when they are looking to make a long distance backdoor pass, or even a simple pass. Also, I look at the ball. It's not like people are all that tricky. If you can time the ball you can get a lot of steals.

I led my league multiple times in steals, both on ball and with help and I felt my defense is excellent because of the above. I see and understand the whole court so I'm able to communicate with my team a lot better.

Maybe one on one the watch the hips thing is the best way to go, but it just seems like one of those cliches that isn't really all that great.

Last point - NBA players sometimes play defense too hard. The point of defense should be to get the worst player on the opposing team to take a lot of shots, or to get good players to take shots they don't often take. It's why the Dubs started dominating when they made Tony Allen shoot often, or got Delly to try and do stuff he was uncomfortable with. Players at all levels thrive on confidence. You make em do stuff they don't usually do and it affects all parts of their game.

ClipperRevival
07-25-2015, 02:26 PM
I think it depends on the player. It is a decent "fundamental" rule to teach to young kids, but honestly it is not realistic at all.

If you are watching someone's hips then you are pretty much oblivious to what is going on around the court, including screens, backdoor passes, other offensive players, etc.

I find it much much much more effective to look at a player's eyes. Maybe at the NBA level guards etc are tricky enough to look a different way and pass, but that happens maybe 5% of the time.

For me, I look at people's eyes and am thus able to see when they want to use a screen, when they are looking to make a long distance backdoor pass, or even a simple pass. Also, I look at the ball. It's not like people are all that tricky. If you can time the ball you can get a lot of steals.

I led my league multiple times in steals, both on ball and with help and I felt my defense is excellent because of the above. I see and understand the whole court so I'm able to communicate with my team a lot better.

Maybe one on one the watch the hips thing is the best way to go, but it just seems like one of those cliches that isn't really all that great.

Last point - NBA players sometimes play defense too hard. The point of defense should be to get the worst player on the opposing team to take a lot of shots, or to get good players to take shots they don't often take. It's why the Dubs started dominating when they made Tony Allen shoot often, or got Delly to try and do stuff he was uncomfortable with. Players at all levels thrive on confidence. You make em do stuff they don't usually do and it affects all parts of their game.

Well, obviously i am also keeping track of the ball with my peripherial vision but i always have my sights on the hips too. I am talking more about man on man D when i am isolated on the perimeter. Of course you need to be aware of your surroundings at all times. Not talking about post D or being aware of screens, etc. As a defender, you should always be aware of where your man is and where the ball is.

Ruler
07-25-2015, 02:45 PM
@sundizz great advice on defense. That's what it's all about, summed up in 5 paragraphs.

Personally I check all parts of the man I'm defending. I'm super aware of the court and can use my length to really challenge my opponent,get steals, run over / under screens, etc. There's a massive advantage I have because of my long arms, it's no wonder just about every guy in the NBA with a wide wingspan is naturally a good defender. I never fall for ball fakes, head fakes, etc. You never want to over commit to your man when he's iso'ed, he will destroy you with a very small amount of skill.

In 1 on 1's, I always go up by about 13-3 to start off. I force my opponents to take 15-20 foot jumpers and I'm able to get to the basket in 3 steps. Now i have a pretty slight frame so if it's a stronger guy, i have to really work to finish, but these guys usually have NO idea how to use their size. You want to body your man and make him bump into you driving in the lane. Harass him, get in his face, don't even let him breathe comfortably.

ClipperRevival
07-25-2015, 02:57 PM
@sundizz great advice on defense. That's what it's all about, summed up in 5 paragraphs.

Personally I check all parts of the man I'm defending. I'm super aware of the court and can use my length to really challenge my opponent,get steals, run over / under screens, etc. There's a massive advantage I have because of my long arms, it's no wonder just about every guy in the NBA with a wide wingspan is naturally a good defender. I never fall for ball fakes, head fakes, etc. You never want to over commit to your man when he's iso'ed, he will destroy you with a very small amount of skill.

In 1 on 1's, I always go up by about 13-3 to start off. I force my opponents to take 15-20 foot jumpers and I'm able to get to the basket in 3 steps. Now i have a pretty slight frame so if it's a stronger guy, i have to really work to finish, but these guys usually have NO idea how to use their size. You want to body your man and make him bump into you driving in the lane. Harass him, get in his face, don't even let him breathe comfortably.

Like i said, i am talking specifically about man on man D on the perimeter in iso situations. But yeah, length is so huge when it comes to D. Every centimeter matters to some extent.

TripleA
07-25-2015, 03:08 PM
most people get the "ankles broken" when the offensive players pushes off or the defender trips over their leg or guarding some really fast when they are slow.