PDA

View Full Version : Magic & Larry in the current league; what position and how good?

TonyMontana
07-25-2015, 03:23 PM
How good would these two behemoths of basketball be in the league today?

I see people say that Larry would be "exposed since he is unathletic. Which IMO is just a thiny veiled racist comment since Magic is hardly any more athletic than Bird.

I see Larry Bird thriving as a 4 in the current league. He is really the ideal guy to put next to the kind of 5 that just defends, rebounds, and blocks the rim. He would dominate his matchup on another basis and be the best player in the league.

I think Magic would have a much harder time defending than Larry would. Sometimes he would have to get switched off of PGs of his time, how about now with all these speed demons and no handchecking? I don't know if Magic would be able to play point in the current league. Perhaps in a role/situation such as LeBron ala the 3 spot? Regardless he'd easily be a top 5 player in the league.

http://40.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m857zs3IwY1qm9rypo1_1280.jpg

SouBeachTalents
07-25-2015, 03:24 PM
What's with this dishwasher?

Marchesk
07-25-2015, 03:30 PM
I see people say that Larry would be "exposed since he is unathletic.

Those people are idiots. He wasn't considered athletic in the 80s either. You had guys like Dominique, MJ, Dr J, Larry Nance, etc and it didn't matter. Athleticism is overrated. Skill and knowing how to play the game matter a lot more. There are tons of athletic players who never make it or come off the bench.

Rocketswin2013
07-25-2015, 03:31 PM
Same positions. Just as good. Magic would struggle defending WC point guards, though.

ClipperRevival
07-25-2015, 03:35 PM
Bird would play the 4 given his shooting and the fact that the league has shrunk in terms of size for the 4/5. I could even see him playing the 5 in spots also. 3's are also so athletic these days.

Magic PG and yeah, he would struggle on D given the no hand check rule and fast PGs. But he would dominate them in the post on the other end with hus size.

Both would be challenging every year for the MVP.

Kobe_6/8
07-25-2015, 03:54 PM
How good would these two behemoths of basketball be in the league today?

I see people say that Larry would be "exposed since he is unathletic. Which IMO is just a thiny veiled racist comment since Magic is hardly any more athletic than Bird.

I see Larry Bird thriving as a 4 in the current league. He is really the ideal guy to put next to the kind of 5 that just defends, rebounds, and blocks the rim. He would dominate his matchup on another basis and be the best player in the league.
I think Magic would have a much harder time defending than Larry would. Sometimes he would have to get switched off of PGs of his time, how about now with all these speed demons and no handchecking? I don't know if Magic would be able to play point in the current league. Perhaps in a role/situation such as LeBron ala the 3 spot? Regardless he'd easily be a top 5 player in the league.

http://40.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m857zs3IwY1qm9rypo1_1280.jpg

:coleman: I don't think Larry would be the unquestioned GOAT of today's league. He would be in the conversation.

Young X
07-25-2015, 04:01 PM
Magic wasn't guarding opposing PG's back then either. Byron Scott was the one on KJ, Thomas, Stockton, Hardaway, etc. I don't see how this would be a problem today, just put him on the other teams' weakest offensive player. Alot of the elite PG's today besides Wall and Paul get hidden on defense too...you don't really see them guarding eachother either.

Offensively, he's a matchup nightmare - put a smaller guard on him and he'll post them up, put a bigger forward on him and he'll just use his quickness advantage over them. He'd be unstoppable.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
07-25-2015, 04:03 PM
They'd both be the best players in the league, 1 and 2 respectively.

LeBron is 30 going on 31, and Durant doesn't have the all-around package these guys bring to the court.

It'll be interesting to see just how good Davis will be this upcoming season, though.

orange_chicken
07-25-2015, 04:21 PM
Bird will go against guys like Iguodala, Khawi, Bron, KD. Magic will go against guys like Kobe, Wade, Manu, T-Mac.

r0drig0lac
07-25-2015, 04:28 PM

this

pastis
07-25-2015, 04:37 PM
Bird would obviously rock but Magic..... worse than CP3 honestly. he would put up the stats but i dont see him winnng fmvps or mvps... too difficult in todays league for a pure guard

Young X
07-25-2015, 05:18 PM
^ You crazy

Marchesk
07-25-2015, 05:21 PM
Bird will go against guys like Iguodala, Khawi, Bron, KD. Magic will go against guys like Kobe, Wade, Manu, T-Mac.

Those kind of guys existed in the 80s too. Dr J, Dominique, Moncrief (Wade-like athleticism), MJ, Drexler, Michael Cooper, etc.

Rolando
07-25-2015, 05:38 PM
Both of these guys are basketball geniuses. Their games would be somewhat different because of today's rules. They'd both be better at shooting the 3point shot with Bird probably eclipsing guys like Ray Allen or Curry.

I could see Magic being like Lebron but with a better shot, better passing but slightly less rebounding. Magic would be able to defend the 3 pointer very well with his length. Guards would have to put it on the floor against him.

Bird might lead the league in rebounds and scoring.

Both would be averaging a triple double.

They would destroy.

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
07-25-2015, 05:42 PM
Bird would be a PF and the best player in the world. Magic would be a top 5 player but CP3 is better suited for this era and would be a better PG. Magic cant defend well and this era of PGs is more athletic and quicker for him

Theyd be the 2 best offensive players for sure tho

Kblaze8855
07-25-2015, 05:42 PM
Lebron with a better shot? Naaaaaaaaaah.

I might take him over Lebron...shooting wouldnt be in his favor though.

WillC
07-25-2015, 05:49 PM
Bird would thrive in today's game. As mentioned above, he'd be well suited to the 4 if he had a rim protector next to him. Imagine Bird alongside someone like DeAndre Jordan.

Offensively, Bird was like a much better version of Kevin Love, so he'd have no problem there.

And of course his passing would fit right in with today's team basketball and ball movement / team ball.

As for those people commenting on the athleticism he'd have to face on a nightly basis, you have no idea what the 1980s were like. Watch this and tell me the 80s weren't full of great athletes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vD7o6nCv5qw&index=70&list=FL84D9r2Sttw_ghKiyTJKoaA

Players like Wilkins, Nance, Kersey, Erving... some of the most athletic small forwards of all-time.

I understand Bird also faced some weak defenders like Kiki Vandeveghe, but LeBron has easy nights too.

Smoke117
07-25-2015, 05:50 PM
Larry would definitely be a PF now and would basically be an better Dirk with great passing skills.

3ball
07-25-2015, 06:16 PM
Bird will go against guys like:

Iguodala, Kawhi, Bron, KD.

who are worse than Rodman, Michael Cooper, MJ and Magic

Magic will go against guys like:

Kobe, Wade, Manu, T-Mac.

who are worse than Bird, Drexler, Dominique, Dr. J

ClipperRevival
07-25-2015, 06:52 PM
Bird would thrive in today's game. As mentioned above, he'd be well suited to the 4 if he had a rim protector next to him. Imagine Bird alongside someone like DeAndre Jordan.

Offensively, Bird was like a much better version of Kevin Love, so he'd have no problem there.

And of course his passing would fit right in with today's team basketball and ball movement / team ball.

As for those people commenting on the athleticism he'd have to face on a nightly basis, you have no idea what the 1980s were like. Watch this and tell me the 80s weren't full of great athletes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vD7o6nCv5qw&index=70&list=FL84D9r2Sttw_ghKiyTJKoaA

Players like Wilkins, Nance, Kersey, Erving... some of the most athletic small forwards of all-time.

I understand Bird also faced some weak defenders like Kiki Vandeveghe, but LeBron has easy nights too.

Kudos. But I find it offensive just to see Love and Bird in the same sentence. Love is a glorified Ryan Anderson. Bird is one of most alpha killers ever who could beat you in every way imaginable except athleticism.

And the youngsters don't understand how athletic the NBA already was by the mid-1980's.

3ball
07-25-2015, 06:56 PM
i think larry would play the 3, 4, or 5 in today's game, but regardless of what position he played, his GAME is that of a small forward, just in general.

larry ran off screens like rip hamilton and MADE PLAYS on the perimeter like a wing player, not a big man..

Seriously - watch Bird for a couple minutes - power forward and centers simply don't play like this - ONLY WINGS DO:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msEmcemLR7M&t=0m25s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgPpTvX86n8&t=0m39s

Bird had a wing-like shot-creation style and PULL-UP shooting ability - PF's like blake griffin and tim duncan don't play this way.. Btw, in today's spacing, Bird's passing would be unreal - i think he could thoroughly dominate the game like we've never seen before with his unique passing ability in today's spacing (achieved in a non-ball-dominant fashion).

3ball
07-25-2015, 07:05 PM
Based on empirical evidence, there is a 100% chance Magic would play point guard in today's game.

The top 25 career leaders in apg are all point guards, led by Magic's 11.3 in regular season and 12.3 in the playoffs.. The #25 guy is at 7.0 apg.

So there's never been a player who averaged 7+ apg that DIDN'T play point guard, let alone Magic's 12 apg.

Said another way, anytime there has been a player with anywhere NEAR Magic's passing ability, they played point guard.. Coaches invariably want a player who passes that well to play point guard.

Interestingly, Magic was an elite passer from ANY position - he would lead the league in assists from the center position - he's the only player in history that would lead the league in assists from any position.. But the coach would still play him at point guard - as virtually every coach in the history of the game has done players that pass that well, or anywhere near.

SHAQisGOAT
07-25-2015, 09:50 PM
I can see Larry playing PF considerably more, nowadays... Due to all the small-ball going around, due to him being more of a terrific all-around stretch 4 who was better at guarding the post and more impactful at roaming around on D, due to him most likely not playing with a PF of McHale's caliber (who had to start for them)...
Still killing it from the perimeter, anyways.

Right now? Peak Larry Bird would've CLEARLY been the best player in the league.

All that athleticism talk is bullshit though.
:coleman:
Bird faced the likes of Dr J, Nique Wilkins, Marques Johnson, Worthy, Aguirre, Woolridge, Larry Nance...
Apart from those guys mentioned above, he was guarded by dudes like Bobby Jones, Rodman, Cooper, Rodney McCray, Pippen, Larry Nance, Kersey, Pressey, Ho Grant, Moncrief, Cliff Robinson, Jordan, X-Man, Roundfield, Drexler, Woolridge, Buck Willims...
^Looking at it overall, that's a better combination of athletes/defenders than someone like LeBron has had to face, especially in the Playoffs. So just gimme a ****in break.

The only right answer for Magic's position has to be PG, that's the way he's most impactful, that's the way you maximize his talents and get the best out of what he brings.
^That's on offense, obviously.

And ofc that it's hard for most 6'8 players to keep up with those very quick PG's who can score the ball, but guess what? You always had those players around, Magic's Lakers seen PG's like Zeke, KJ, Gus Williams, Price, Lever, Tim Bug, Stockton, Micheal Ray... And when the matchup could be exploited there, Magic was switched to a SG/SF/PF - also because he was very versatile and LA was better off with defenders like Coop, Nixon or Scott on them, anyways.
Not even like he was getting killed by everyone on defense, please... And, for the vast majority of times, the matchup was always tougher for the opponent.

Magic right now would've definitely been the best PG in the league. Peak Magic with a great case for #1 player.

FKAri
07-25-2015, 10:48 PM
Bird would do better than Magic. PG position is played very differently now then it was in Magic's time so he would have to adjust his game more. Any time an all time great has to adjust or change something, you're making them worse more times than not imo

MJistheGOAT
07-25-2015, 10:48 PM
I can see Bird in the 13-16 Spurs playing SF/PF ... destroying teams.

Prometheus
07-25-2015, 11:48 PM
Ay that other guy's thread inspired me. F*ck it, honestly, I don't know jack about Magic and Larry. I'm a fraud if I ever seriously tried to have a credible opinion on how great they were. I only know what I've seen from documentaries, stories, a handful of full games, oodles of highlights, and opinions of fans who watched them. The rest is filled in with my own imagination.

There are a few posters on this board whom I believe actually watched Magic and Bird in their primes. 3ball is one. Marchesk is another. 95+% of ISH posters never watched them, just like me. If you're one of those guys, stop trying to act like you have anything relevant to say. It's not worth it.

:cheers:

Hey Yo
07-25-2015, 11:59 PM

LeBron is 30 going on 31, and Durant doesn't have the all-around package these guys bring to the court.

It'll be interesting to see just how good Davis will be this upcoming season, though.
The top 2 players in the league are usually recognized for playing both ends of the floor.

Bird did so/tried to....... in a much bigger way than Earvin ever attempted

Pushxx
07-26-2015, 12:01 AM
They would both be as successful if not more successful, especially Larry since he didn't necessarily need the ball in his hands to be the best player in the world.

TheMan
07-26-2015, 12:02 AM

Peak Bird and Magic vs current LeBron? Sure. 09-12 LeBron? It would be a three way debate. Let's not underrate peak LeBron.

bdreason
07-26-2015, 12:03 AM
Magic - Best PG in the game.

Bird - Best SF in the game.

Harison
07-26-2015, 12:17 AM
Bird would play as a PF (he said so himself in interview), and dominate even more than he did in 80's due to soft rules.

Magic would obviously play PG. Offensively he would be just as good as he was, on D he would be lacking, but it was the same issue before.

Who would be the best: Bird was better than Magic in the Golden age, till his back injury. I dont see it changing now. Bird perennial MVP, while Magic would have to fight with Lebron/Durant/AD, etc.

Hey Yo
07-26-2015, 12:23 AM
Magic - Best PG in the game.

Bird - Best SF in the game.
Can't be the best if you can't play defense.

Larry tried and was semi-effective.

Earvin tried at an early age and coaches realized he was horrible at it. That's why he was assigned to players like today's Dellavedova or Mike Miller

nzahir
07-26-2015, 12:26 AM
Larry not quick enough or athletic enough for todays sf, serious and I have him top 5 all time. He would be a pf.

TheMan
07-26-2015, 12:40 AM
Can't be the best if you can't play defense.

Larry tried and was semi-effective.

Earvin tried at an early age and coaches realized he was horrible at it. That's why he was assigned to players like today's Dellavedova or Mike Miller
I agree with this. That's why the posters saying peak Bird and Magic would automatically be the best players in today's NBA are underrating peak LeBron. Dude was a beast on both sides of the ball. Could Bird or Magic lead a team to an NBA title in the modern age? Yeah, you could hide them defensively, but if we're talking pure individual talent, LeBron would be in the conversation as best player in the league...and I'm by no means a Bran stan, just being objective.

nzahir
07-26-2015, 12:49 AM
I agree with this. That's why the posters saying peak Bird and Magic would automatically be the best players in today's NBA are underrating peak LeBron. Dude was a beast on both sides of the ball. Could Bird or Magic lead a team to an NBA title in the modern age? Yeah, you could hide them defensively, but if we're talking pure individual talent, LeBron would be in the conversation as best player in the league...and I'm by no means a Bran stan, just being objective.
:applause:

eliteballer
07-26-2015, 12:59 AM
Magic hardly more athletic than Bird? Laughable assertion. Magic is clearly much more athletic. You must have never seen him in his prime blasting fullcourt and attacking the rack. He did run the most explosive fast break offense for a reason

In 2011 a 37 year old Kidd after a couple of major knee surgeries still averaged 8 points, 4 boards, and 8 assists. A year earlier he put up 10 points, 6 rebounds, and 9 assists.

Yeah, Magic wouldn't have any problems if a decrepit Kidd was doing that.

Bird? Bird is way more athletic than Dirk, and I don't see Dirk having any problems throughout his career.

scandisk_
07-26-2015, 01:11 AM
Right now,

It's prolly

1. Bird/Bran
2. Magic

But in terms of team success? TODAY? it's magic man. Give him the Cavs (sans love) and he'll contend everytime for sure.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
07-26-2015, 01:16 AM
Peak Bird and Magic vs current LeBron? Sure. 09-12 LeBron? It would be a three way debate. Let's not underrate peak LeBron.
Yup. 09-13 LeBron would certainly be in that mix, but I would be comfortable taking Magic and Larry at their absolute best because there's none of this:

https://usatftw.files.wordpress.com/2013/06/lebronkawhi.gif

Because of his length, I could also hide Magic's inadequacies on defense. Bird in his peak was good enough to compete on that end.

Thorpesaurous
07-26-2015, 10:02 AM
The zone allowances would probably make both of them better defenders. Especially Bird who wasn't bad as it was, and now he'd be defending more PFs, and allowed to cheat, which was what made him a good defender to begin with.

I'd be tempted to play Magic at PF too. Just line up the best shooters I could around him at the other four positions.

Lakers Fan
07-26-2015, 03:47 PM
who are worse than Rodman, Michael Cooper, MJ and Magic

who are worse than Bird, Drexler, Dominique, Dr. J

Michael Cooper was probably a better defender than any player active today and I believe he said Larry Bird was the toughest player he ever guarded, worse than Michael Jordan.

Smoke117
07-26-2015, 03:51 PM

You don't need to hide Larry...he was one of the best help/team defensive players before the back. Individual defense has always been overrated and at PF he wouldn't be burned much anyway. If anything, you don't want him on a guy he has to pay too much attention too...you want him to be able to play off and use that great help defense.

KirbyPls
07-26-2015, 06:54 PM
Yup. 09-13 LeBron would certainly be in that mix, but I would be comfortable taking Magic and Larry at their absolute best because there's none of this:

https://usatftw.files.wordpress.com/2013/06/lebronkawhi.gif

Because of his length, I could also hide Magic's inadequacies on defense. Bird in his peak was good enough to compete on that end.

Yep, none of a 25-11-7 Finals MVP winning, back-to-back championship where he led his team in pts, rbs and assists while leading the only tem to ever beat the Spurs for the title with a game 7 of 37-12-4. Good call, none of that. :lol

atljonesbro
07-26-2015, 07:01 PM
Both of these guys are basketball geniuses. Their games would be somewhat different because of today's rules. They'd both be better at shooting the 3point shot with Bird probably eclipsing guys like Ray Allen or Curry.

I could see Magic being like Lebron but with a better shot, better passing but slightly less rebounding. Magic would be able to defend the 3 pointer very well with his length. Guards would have to put it on the floor against him.

Bird might lead the league in rebounds and scoring.

Both would be averaging a triple double.

They would destroy.
They are player in an inflated stats no defense era lol. Dat nostalgia

Pointguard
07-26-2015, 09:04 PM
What is all this talk about today's game not suiting Magic??? The last PG to have great influence on the league was Nash - a poor man's Magic. They shot around the same TS%, despite Magic taking at least one half court heave a game. Magic was significantly better passer and much more of a mismatch. Magic had better instincts, better post play, could control the game better, would be the smartest player in the game, could feature players better, was better on the fast break, could snatch and create momentum better... and Nash did all of these things better than Chris Paul did. Outside of defense, in most point guard duties Magic was two levels better than CP3 and two years ago CP3 was on the majority of you guys top five list.

Magic rarely guarded PGs in his day and its not like his defense ever came into play where they lost big games because of it. It wasn't something big like you guys are making it out to be. Once again see Nash. And how you control pace is part of defense. And Magic was significantly better than the next in line in controlling a game. Magic also had the best defense to offense play in the game: When Magic stole the ball (and he lead the league in steals a couple of years) it was the best defense to offense play in the game as it was often a 4 or 5 point turnaround.

When Curry and Westbrook were considered top notch defenders at their position, neither guarded Derrick Rose at the end of games, so the playing off the point on defense isn't a big thing. And both were considered better than Paul who has the defense thing locked up.

mehyaM24
07-26-2015, 09:06 PM
What is all this talk about today's game not suiting Magic??? The last PG to have great influence on the league was Nash - a poor man's Magic. They shot around the same TS%, despite Magic taking at least one half court heave a game. Magic was significantly better passer and much more of a mismatch. Magic had better instincts, better post play, could control the game better, would be the smartest player in the game, could feature players better, was better on the fast break, could snatch and create momentum better... and Nash did all of these things better than Chris Paul did. Outside of defense, in most point guard duties Magic was two levels better than CP3 and two years ago CP3 was on the majority of you guys top five list.

Magic rarely guarded PGs in his day and its not like his defense ever came into play where they lost big games because of it. It wasn't something big like you guys are making it out to be. Once again see Nash. And how you control pace is part of defense. And Magic was significantly better than the next in line in controlling a game. Magic also had the best defense to offense play in the game: When Magic stole the ball (and he lead the league in steals a couple of years) it was the best defense to offense play in the game as it was often a 4 or 5 point turnaround.

When Curry and Westbrook were considered top notch defenders at their position, neither guarded Derrick Rose at the end of games, so the playing off the point on defense isn't a big thing. And both were considered better than Paul who has the defense thing locked up.

educate these fools, pointguard..

thanks for the knowledge :rockon:

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
07-26-2015, 09:21 PM

WTF are u talkin about:biggums: :biggums: When TF were Curry or Westbrook considered top defenders:biggums: :biggums:

Hey Yo
07-26-2015, 10:20 PM

Magic's lack of defense is what kept other teams in the game!

:facepalm :facepalm

Pointguard
07-26-2015, 10:22 PM
Magic's lack of defense is what kept other teams in the game!

:facepalm :facepalm
He won at one of the best rates ever? Please give me an example.

Hey Yo
07-26-2015, 10:27 PM
He won at one of the best rates ever? Please give me an example.
That's because the Lakers division sucked, as did the conference, throughout Magic's prime and stacked team.

T_L_P
07-26-2015, 10:30 PM
i think larry would play the 3, 4, or 5 in today's game, but regardless of what position he played, his GAME is that of a small forward, just in general.

larry ran off screens like rip hamilton and MADE PLAYS on the perimeter like a wing player, not a big man..

Seriously - watch Bird for a couple minutes - power forward and centers simply don't play like this - ONLY WINGS DO:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msEmcemLR7M&t=0m25s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgPpTvX86n8&t=0m39s

Bird had a wing-like shot-creation style and PULL-UP shooting ability - PF's like blake griffin and tim duncan don't play this way.. Btw, in today's spacing, Bird's passing would be unreal - i think he could thoroughly dominate the game like we've never seen before with his unique passing ability in today's spacing (achieved in a non-ball-dominant fashion).

Do you think Bird in today's game would be the best off-ball passer ever?

Pointguard
07-26-2015, 10:37 PM
WTF are u talkin about:biggums: :biggums: When TF were Curry or Westbrook considered top defenders:biggums: :biggums:
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/12648764/how-stephen-curry-developed-top-flight-defender
http://basketballbloggers.sportsblog.com/posts/41738/russell_westbrook_and_walt_frazier.html

There are a lot of boards here about Westbrook. He came into the league with that reputation after he won defensive player of his conference. And before he got caught up on offense in OKC.
http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=352767&page=2
http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=376085

Curry it was obviously this year. I think its more by default as there are rarely good defenders at the position.

I always thought you were a regular here but you should have seen the Westbrook talk here.

Pointguard
07-26-2015, 10:40 PM
That's because the Lakers division sucked, as did the conference, throughout Magic's prime and stacked team.

Well then your example should come from the playoffs then... right?

Rose'sACL
07-26-2015, 10:44 PM
so pointgaurd, prime magic vs prime lebron, who would be the better player in today's league?

Pointguard
07-26-2015, 11:28 PM
so pointgaurd, prime magic vs prime lebron, who would be the better player in today's league?
I think Lebron is the better player but I would bet on Magic's team to win more. Kind of like Hakeem/Duncan in most people all time rankings. Magic/Duncan allow their team to flow and depend on others at a very high rate as well as keeping them on the same page. Magic is like MSG in food: Whatever the teams does better offensively Magic will multiply it. And right now, its about better teams over the super talent teams like OKC, Clippers, Heat in retro.

HighFlyer23
07-26-2015, 11:32 PM
They would dominate this weak era with only 2 superstars, being Lebron and Durant

pauk
07-27-2015, 09:53 AM
Magics 4 first years in NBA he spent starting SF/SG where Nixon was the starting PG, his game/role didnt change when he started PG instead when Nixon departured in 1983 / 84 somewhere, so he would maybe today spend a bit more time starting SF doing the "point-forward" thing a la Lebron/Penny/Pippen...... defensively is no problem, Magic didnt guard opposing PGs much anyways, he was a PG offensively but defensively it is the SG (like Byron Scott) who would more often take care of the PGs... Magic would be the best "PG" in the league and one of the 2-3 best players (Lebron/Magic/Bird/Durant).

Bird would perhaps spend more time at PF or maybe not, who knows. Not much else to be said, Bird is Bird, he worked on 100% raw skills which just so happen to be transcendent & anomaly to any era, he is the most offensively skilled player i ever seen, he will be in conversation for best player.

rmt
07-27-2015, 12:00 PM
Bird would do better than Magic. PG position is played very differently now then it was in Magic's time so he would have to adjust his game more. Any time an all time great has to adjust or change something, you're making them worse more times than not imo

Adjusting his game is not a problem - remember he played center when KAJ went down in the Finals. Magic would probably guard the opposing SG/SF in today's game.

I'd love to see Magic on the 13-16 Spurs instead of the ball-hogging Parker. The passing would be out of this world :applause:

TheBigVeto
07-28-2015, 02:20 AM
What is all this talk about today's game not suiting Magic??? The last PG to have great influence on the league was Nash - a poor man's Magic.

:facepalm :no:

Nash is not poor man's Magic.
Nash >>>> Magic.

Having said that, Magic will do just fine in current league, he's after all a top 5 GOAT PGs.

Marchesk
07-28-2015, 02:49 AM
Nash is not poor man's Magic.
Nash >>>> Magic..

In what universe? You are literally the first person I've seen rate Nash over Magic.

Kvnzhangyay
07-28-2015, 08:25 AM
[QUOTE=Marchesk]In what universe? You are literally the first person I've seen rate Nash over Magic.[/QUOTE

Only in shooting i guess

StephHamann
07-28-2015, 08:26 AM
Magic would play center and dominate.

Kvnzhangyay
07-28-2015, 08:29 AM
Magic would play center and dominate.

Him actually playing center for the whole game is pretty much a media narrative

unknowns8
07-28-2015, 12:12 PM

Magic ... and its not even close imo

kennethgriffin
07-28-2015, 12:18 PM
in todays league? magic = center, bird = Power forward

magic = 19/10/9
bird = 23/10/7

Fallen Angel
07-28-2015, 12:18 PM
Magic and Bird would both play PF (or SF depending on the teammate).

TheBigVeto
07-28-2015, 09:45 PM
Him actually playing center for the whole game is pretty much a media narrative

This.

To quote the best basketball expert again: "The idea that Magic can play all 5 positions including Center based on his game 6 of 1980 finals is nothing but bullshit. If he had to play Center all the time, the 1980s centers would've banged him to oblivion like the dude who gave him HIV".