PDA

View Full Version : How much do you value longevity

Fire Colangelo
07-30-2015, 04:43 PM
In terms of franchise players if you were starting a team?

Would you pick someone like Karl Malone over Magic Johnson to start a franchise?

Pierce over someone like McGrady?

Stockton over Isiah?

LeBron over Bird? Given that LeBron stays relatively injury free until 35-36.

:confusedshrug:

kennethgriffin
07-30-2015, 05:13 PM
i dunno why anyone would think lebron has longevity over bird

whos to say lebron won't have a back injury and retire after next year with the same number of seasons played as bird

Fire Colangelo
07-30-2015, 05:23 PM
i dunno why anyone would think lebron has longevity over bird

whos to say lebron won't have a back injury and retire after next year with the same number of seasons played as bird

he very well could

assuming he doesn't though....

warriorfan
07-30-2015, 05:27 PM
Peak is better than longevity even though longevity is not to be taken for granted.

Would you rather have a star player for 4 seasons? Or the best player in the league for 2?

kennethgriffin
07-30-2015, 05:28 PM
kobe makes the lakers 300 million dollars in proffit on his name alone every year

an argument could be made that an owner of a franchise would rather draft kobe over jordan just based on the fact that even if you ended up with 5 rings instead of 6. kobe will have made your team more than a billion dollars extra by the time he's retired

and owners dont care if a guy has more individual accolades. its just about titles and money at the end of the day

so yes longevity weighs heavily into picking a player

WayOfWade
07-30-2015, 05:29 PM
For building a franchise, I need longevity. I don't want a Brandon Roy or a Len Bias and get screwed over. If you were talking about like 8yrs playing at a higher level than say 12 years at a slightly lower level(still superstar level), I'd still go with twelve. I just like longevity personally, more stability in the franchise and more time to get the right pieces.

kennethgriffin
07-30-2015, 05:32 PM
Peak is better than longevity even though longevity is not to be taken for granted.

Would you rather have a star player for 4 seasons? Or the best player in the league for 2?

if it was about peaks when ranking players

wilt
shaq
baylor
oscar

would all be ranked ahead of jordan all time

:lol

Dr Seuss
07-30-2015, 05:34 PM

the former doesnt qualify as longevity, though.

a better example, a top 3 player for 2-4 years or a top 10-15 player for 8-10+ years

RidonKs
07-30-2015, 05:37 PM
value this much, i do
hard to keep in shape over a long time, your body is

warriorfan
07-30-2015, 06:02 PM
if it was about peaks when ranking players

wilt
shaq
baylor
oscar

would all be ranked ahead of jordan all time

:lol

Ngga you are on the fuccing moon, none of those guys had a better peak than MJ.

kennethgriffin
07-30-2015, 06:33 PM
Ngga you are on the fuccing moon, none of those guys had a better peak than MJ.

uerm...ahemmm

Baylor prime = 40 ppg, 20 rpg, 5 apg

Wilt prime = 50 ppg, 26 rpg, 2 apg

oscar prime = 31 ppg, 13 rpg, 11 apg

shaq prime = 30 ppg, 14 rpg, 4 apg

Fire Colangelo
07-30-2015, 07:01 PM
kobe makes the lakers 300 million dollars in proffit on his name alone every year

an argument could be made that an owner of a franchise would rather draft kobe over jordan just based on the fact that even if you ended up with 5 rings instead of 6. kobe will have made your team more than a billion dollars extra by the time he's retired

and owners dont care if a guy has more individual accolades. its just about titles and money at the end of the day

so yes longevity weighs heavily into picking a player

Well, how much did Jordan make the bulls in the 90s translated into modern dollars?

You have a point though, I might pick someone like Blake Griffin (given he stays healthy) over Malone to start my franchise just to put some butts in seats.

JimmyMcAdocious
07-30-2015, 07:25 PM
You know what puts butts in seats? Winning.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
07-30-2015, 07:33 PM
uerm...ahemmm

Baylor prime = 40 ppg, 20 rpg, 5 apg

Wilt prime = 50 ppg, 26 rpg, 2 apg

oscar prime = 31 ppg, 13 rpg, 11 apg

shaq prime = 30 ppg, 14 rpg, 4 apg

Those numbers in the 60's need adjusting. Nobody seriously thinks Wilt would average 50 in the moder era. Nobody that is meant to be taken seriously anyway.

If we include postseason play, Shaq and Jordan have the best argument.

Fire Colangelo
07-30-2015, 07:34 PM
You know what puts butts in seats? Winning.

What about a small market team like the Hawks?

You don't think Blake Griffin would be able to put butts in Philips Arena?

I admit my Griffin vs Malone example was bad, but what about Vince Carter vs Pierce?

Pierce is the better player, but I'd probably take Vince Carter to start my franchise... if that makes sense.

SHAQisGOAT
07-30-2015, 08:33 PM

Pretty much...

Nobody would take Hayes over Barkley, for example.

Nobody would take Paul Pierce over Bird... Larry didn't have GOAT-level longevity (due to injuries) but he had a top5 all-time peak and still sustained a long prime at terrific level, Truth can't even begin to **** with that.

Nobody would take Stockton over Magic.

I'd most likely rank McHale over Parish.

Moses or Hakeem? Reggie or Wade? Think about that...

But you also have dudes like Kareem who had terrific peak and terrific longevity.
And longevity can sometimes be used to break a tie with certain players, let's say... It also matters, ofc.

Fallen Angel
07-30-2015, 08:39 PM
Pretty much...

Nobody would take Paul Pierce over Bird... Larry didn't have GOAT-level longevity (due to injuries) but he had a top5 all-time peak and still sustained a long prime at terrific level, Truth can't even begin to **** with that.

But you also have dudes like Kareem who had terrific peak and terrific longevity.
And longevity can sometimes be used to break a tie with certain players, let's say... It also matters, ofc.
You're talking about players that have multiple years of being MVP candidates vs. players that have been limited to being only All-Stars.

OP brought up Pierce vs. McGrady and you're trying to make this Pierce vs. Bird.

There's a HUGE difference.

You're not wrong, you're just off-topic and stating something that's pretty obvious.

Fire Colangelo
07-30-2015, 08:41 PM
Pretty much...

Well, I was thinking mainly of players in similar tiers with the more durable player having slightly worse peaks.

Malone vs Barkley for example. Barkley was a better player at his peak, but Malone was no slouch and was much more durable. Who would you take to start a franchise?

McGrady vs Pierce?

Bird vs Kobe?

Magic vs Duncan?

TheMarkMadsen
07-30-2015, 08:41 PM
You're talking about players that have multiple years of being MVP candidates vs. players that have been limited to being only All-Stars.

OP brought up Pierce vs. McGrady and you're trying to make this Pierce vs. Bird.

There's a HUGE difference.

You're not wrong, you're just off-topic and stating something that's pretty obvious.

exactly this

a better example would have been Kareem vs Shaq, Kareem probrably wasn't as dominant during his peak but you'd be hard pressed to find somebody taking Shaq due to Kareems longevity

Legends66NBA7
07-30-2015, 08:51 PM
Would you pick someone like Karl Malone over Magic Johnson to start a franchise?

Hell no. :oldlol:

Don't care how great Malone's longevity was, not taking him over more Magic.

Pierce over someone like McGrady?

Yes. T-Mac really only had one superb year + some really other good one too and Pierce has a game that can really be relied on without high volume.

Stockton over Isiah?

Depends on the team. For a first option but can defer, Isiah. For a floor general to just run the offense Stockton. Rather have Isiah either way.

LeBron over Bird? Given that LeBron stays relatively injury free until 35-36.

Don't see a problem taking LeBron, but don't see the problem with taking Bird either. I think Bird would probably do better today, it's easier for a guy of his game.

Rose'sACL
07-30-2015, 08:56 PM
unless lebron gets injured next year, any GM would be a fool to take bird even if lebron doesn't win another ring.