PDA

View Full Version : Did Jordan quit both times cuz he couldn't 4-peat??

sundizz
07-31-2015, 01:50 AM
It seemed both times he quit that he knew going for numero 4 wasn't going to happen so he hung em up like a beta. Hakeem had his way with that squad if they could even get out of the East (unlikely since Shaq would of took Jordan's lunch money). And for sure after the second three peat he knew it was time. He was just shot chuckin by that point.

Prime_Shaq
07-31-2015, 02:04 AM
http://media.giphy.com/media/a3zqvrH40Cdhu/giphy.gif

kennethgriffin
07-31-2015, 02:09 AM
jordan didnt quit the 1st time

he was banned for gambling

but as for the 2nd time. yes. the bulls informed jordan that they would be cost cutting and not bringing back phil jackson or scottie pippen. jordan didn't want any part of it

And1AllDay
07-31-2015, 02:23 AM
I've always found it odd that Jordan fans would tease LeBron about 'quitting' yet Michael Jordan LITERALLY quit on his team. Twice.

stalkerforlife
07-31-2015, 02:41 AM
http://i62.tinypic.com/2q0rsck.jpg

sekachu
07-31-2015, 03:02 AM
I've always found it odd that Jordan fans would tease LeBron about 'quitting' yet Michael Jordan LITERALLY quit on his team. Twice.

Not sure if you are being troll. If you can think logically, you wouldn't agree with Op.

305Baller
07-31-2015, 04:07 AM
yes haha

WayOfWade
07-31-2015, 04:32 AM
I never really thought about it that way, but I dont think its true; at least according to Phil Jackson it ain't true

Smoke117
07-31-2015, 05:32 AM
This is just nonsense. Of course the Rockets beat the PIPPENLESS Bulls the firs time in 94...the 2nd game the BUlls beat them with Pippen doing whatever he pleased vs that team. Oh and the BUlls took the 94 Knicks (and were screwed out of a game) to 7...which the Rockets did...SCOFF!!!! ZOMG. Stupid moronic people on this board.

TheBigVeto
07-31-2015, 06:24 AM
It seemed both times he quit that he knew going for numero 4 wasn't going to happen so he hung em up like a beta. Hakeem had his way with that squad if they could even get out of the East (unlikely since Shaq would of took Jordan's lunch money). And for sure after the second three peat he knew it was time. He was just shot chuckin by that point.

THe first time he quit, David Stern forced him to. I guess you can see that as a sign of betaness.

The second time he quit he was scared.

305Baller
07-31-2015, 06:26 AM
THe first time he quit, David Stern forced him to. I guess you can see that as a sign of betaness.

The second time he quit he was scared.

:biggums:

TheBigVeto
07-31-2015, 06:43 AM
:biggums:

Because of the gambling, Jewcifer didn't like that.
Jordan folded like a chair.

TheMan
07-31-2015, 06:49 AM
Stupid kids, lol. Stern was begging Jordan NOT to retire. He has said time and again since then. MJ's popularity was countless times more popular than what LeBron is today. You think Stern was gonna ban their main cash cow??? Naive children. The gambling "scandal" was really not getting a lot of traction and it wasn't diminishing Jordan's shine at all. Dat revisionist history doe :oldlol:

superteamtheory
07-31-2015, 07:49 AM
He quit first time because he got bored with the league because basketball isn't fun when you're the best player ever and can dominate like kids dream of and you get paid millions to do it / he was annoyed with always having to be a good little MJ in front of the media / apparently never heard of not giving an F... also, he likes baseball more than basketball..
and he assumed him having 3 rings proved he was better than Bird and Magic and Russell... assumed people would just give him the pass there because back then people weren't so insane about rings, they were reasonable, they could use their imagination a bit and understand how he might be the GOAT anyway...

He quit second time because he and everyone on the Bulls hated playing for the Bulls and the whole organization had been spoiled rotten by winning and weren't coming back unless it was for trillions of dollars and winning a threepeat / Chicago's 6th in 8 years wasn't enough to smooth all that over it seems / winning threepeats and championships is no fun and there is an I in teaIm.. Also, they were slightly afraid of various up and coming Western teams like the Lakers and Spurs and didn't want to ruin their perfect record by having to play against teams actually as great as them for once..

Beastmode88
07-31-2015, 08:53 AM
Jordan haters at it again. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

ClipperRevival
07-31-2015, 09:01 AM
MJ quit the first time for exactly the reason he stated: he lost the motivation. He was just so dominant, he lost that sense of needing to prove anything. People who weren't alive back then don't understand just how popular MJ was in the U.S. He could not go anywhere. He might've been THE most recognizable person in the U.S. and by a wide margin. The world was collapsing in on him. He wasn't viewed as a human being, more like a God-like figure. I know some of you laugh but he was THAT popular.

Second time? The guy was freaken 35 years old. He had a right to retire anytime he wanted.

West-Side
07-31-2015, 09:11 AM
http://media.giphy.com/media/a3zqvrH40Cdhu/giphy.gif

Ah she's so beautiful. :pimp:

AirTupac
07-31-2015, 11:38 AM
He quit first time because he got bored with the league because basketball isn't fun when you're the best player ever and can dominate like kids dream of and you get paid millions to do it / he was annoyed with always having to be a good little MJ in front of the media / apparently never heard of not giving an F... also, he likes baseball more than basketball..
and he assumed him having 3 rings proved he was better than Bird and Magic and Russell... assumed people would just give him the pass there because back then people weren't so insane about rings, they were reasonable, they could use their imagination a bit and understand how he might be the GOAT anyway...

He quit second time because he and everyone on the Bulls hated playing for the Bulls and the whole organization had been spoiled rotten by winning and weren't coming back unless it was for trillions of dollars and winning a threepeat / Chicago's 6th in 8 years wasn't enough to smooth all that over it seems / winning threepeats and championships is no fun and there is an I in teaIm.. Also, they were slightly afraid of various up and coming Western teams like the Lakers and Spurs and didn't want to ruin their perfect record by having to play against teams actually as great as them for once..

Lmao he liked baseball more than basketball, YOU ****IN CUNTTTTTTTTTT

Hey Yo
07-31-2015, 11:48 AM

Thanks for the laugh, 3ball

Dbrog
07-31-2015, 02:15 PM
MJ quit the first time for exactly the reason he stated: he lost the motivation. He was just so dominant, he lost that sense of needing to prove anything. People who weren't alive back then don't understand just how popular MJ was in the U.S. He could not go anywhere. He might've been THE most recognizable person in the U.S. and by a wide margin. The world was collapsing in on him. He wasn't viewed as a human being, more like a God-like figure. I know some of you laugh but he was THAT popular.

Second time? The guy was freaken 35 years old. He had a right to retire anytime he wanted.

The bolded statement is the epitome of being mentally weak. Yes, I said that about MJ if this were to be the reason why he first retired. However from what I heard, that retirement was due to his father being murdered and playing baseball to "get back to his roots." Can't really knock him if this was the reason he retired. Then i guess he supposedly found himself again and came back to the NBA. Idk though, I do question this simply due to his history. Who retires 3 times in their career? We can speculate all we want but his behavior is undeniably suspect. This is one of the biggest knocks on him for me. Why is it not ok for other people to have question marks but it is for MJ(god)? I have a hard time disregarding it.

Marchesk
07-31-2015, 02:25 PM
I guess Russell retired because he couldn't get his 12th.

superteamtheory
07-31-2015, 02:37 PM
He wasn't viewed as a human being, more like a God-like figure. I know some of you laugh but he was THAT popular.

I don't laugh because that's the whole problem... He still is viewed that way...

superteamtheory
07-31-2015, 02:39 PM
However from what I heard, that retirement was due to his father being murdered and playing baseball to "get back to his roots." Can't really knock him if this was the reason he retired.

That is the real reason, yeah, y'all got me... We can all go back to being humorless ***** now...

Elosha
07-31-2015, 03:26 PM
The bolded statement is the epitome of being mentally weak. Yes, I said that about MJ if this were to be the reason why he first retired. However from what I heard, that retirement was due to his father being murdered and playing baseball to "get back to his roots." Can't really knock him if this was the reason he retired. Then i guess he supposedly found himself again and came back to the NBA. Idk though, I do question this simply due to his history. Who retires 3 times in their career? We can speculate all we want but his behavior is undeniably suspect. This is one of the biggest knocks on him for me. Why is it not ok for other people to have question marks but it is for MJ(god)? I have a hard time disregarding it.

I cannot believe the thread has gone this long until the above poster FINALLY hit on the primary reason Jordan retired, see bold above. Makes me realize how few ISH posters ever really watched Jordan back then. Jordan was very close to his father, and he was murdered in the offseason. And no, his murder had absolutely nothing to do with some conspiracy with "the mob" concerning Jordan's gambling. It was simply a randomly tragic event that occurs to most people at least once in their life. His father got tired while on a road trip, pulled over to sleep on the side of the road, which he had done many times in the past, and was shot and killed by two random thugs who had nothing to do with the "mob."

This utterly shocking and devastating event temporarily zapped Jordan's desire to be in the spotlight and continue his basketball career. It took away, temporarily, his desire to win championships because his father's death and what it represented was bigger than basketball. This was real life tragedy happening to Jordan, front and center, and for awhile it dwarfed his quest to be GOAT. So he chose to go to baseball primarily because he was trying to honor his father's desires. His father had always wanted him to try baseball, so doing it was, in a sense, in memoriam, of his dad's legacy. Sure Jordan was tired of the crushing spotlight and the intense scrutiny of his out of control gambling. But I firmly believe he would have never quit if his father had not been murdered. The baseball years were his attempt to reconcile his father's death, honor his memory, find himself, and rejuvenate.

As for 1998, Jordan was still the greatest in the game but he knew, and everyone else knew, he was starting to slip at age 35. He had probably the greatest "prime/peak" ever, even taking out his first retirement, but there was certainly a risk that the Bulls, all of whom were aging, wouldn't be able to four-peat. But much bigger than that concern was the insidious and corrosive relationship between Krause/Reinsdorf and Phil Jackson, Scottie, and Jordan. Krause was truly a smart GM, but he simply wanted to take far too much credit, and he and Reinsdorf were cheapskates who didn't want to pay Pippen anything close to what he was worth. First Jackson had enough and walked. Then, if memory serves me, Pippen let Jordan know he was leaving no matter what. So Jordan was without his great coach and No. 2. He announced his retirement and Pippen left soon after.

Krause/Reinsdorf did what no team could ever do, beat a Bulls championship team that was together for a full year. In my opinion, if the Bulls hadn't broken up in 99, they would have likely beat the inexperienced Spurs in the championship for a 4 peat. Rodman would have eaten Robinson alive mentally, the Bulls could collectively slow down Duncan a bit, who was incredible during his second year run, and Jordan at 36 would still have dominated the Spurs. The Bulls would have been hugely helped by the lockout season, which would have been an enormous help to their aging roster.

So in any event, that's a real substantive rebuttal to the drivel spat out by the OP and others in this thread. This should serve to educate some of you.

ClipperRevival
07-31-2015, 03:43 PM

:biggums: Huh? He gets tired of dominating the league and he simply loses the desire to compete and that's called being mentally weak? You are mentally weak if you quit when the going gets tough. If you conquer your world, you have a right to let go a bit as you have nothing more to prove. MJ thrived on challenges. There was simply nothing left for him to prove on the basketball court after the 1993 season.

ClipperRevival
07-31-2015, 03:47 PM
I cannot believe the thread has gone this long until the above poster FINALLY hit on the primary reason Jordan retired, see bold above. Makes me realize how few ISH posters ever really watched Jordan back then. Jordan was very close to his father, and he was murdered in the offseason. And no, his murder had absolutely nothing to do with some conspiracy with "the mob" concerning Jordan's gambling. It was simply a randomly tragic event that occurs to most people at least once in their life. His father got tired while on a road trip, pulled over to sleep on the side of the road, which he had done many times in the past, and was shot and killed by two random thugs who had nothing to do with the "mob."

This utterly shocking and devastating event temporarily zapped Jordan's desire to be in the spotlight and continue his basketball career. It took away, temporarily, his desire to win championships because his father's death and what it represented was bigger than basketball. This was real life tragedy happening to Jordan, front and center, and for awhile it dwarfed his quest to be GOAT. So he chose to go to baseball primarily because he was trying to honor his father's desires. His father had always wanted him to try baseball, so doing it was, in a sense, in memoriam, of his dad's legacy. Sure Jordan was tired of the crushing spotlight and the intense scrutiny of his out of control gambling. But I firmly believe he would have never quit if his father had not been murdered. The baseball years were his attempt to reconcile his father's death, honor his memory, find himself, and rejuvenate.

As for 1998, Jordan was still the greatest in the game but he knew, and everyone else knew, he was starting to slip at age 35. He had probably the greatest "prime/peak" ever, even taking out his first retirement, but there was certainly a risk that the Bulls, all of whom were aging, wouldn't be able to four-peat. But much bigger than that concern was the insidious and corrosive relationship between Krause/Reinsdorf and Phil Jackson, Scottie, and Jordan. Krause was truly a smart GM, but he simply wanted to take far too much credit, and he and Reinsdorf were cheapskates who didn't want to pay Pippen anything close to what he was worth. First Jackson had enough and walked. Then, if memory serves me, Pippen let Jordan know he was leaving no matter what. So Jordan was without his great coach and No. 2. He announced his retirement and Pippen left soon after.

Krause/Reinsdorf did what no team could ever do, beat a Bulls championship team that was together for a full year. In my opinion, if the Bulls hadn't broken up in 99, they would have likely beat the inexperienced Spurs in the championship for a 4 peat. Rodman would have eaten Robinson alive mentally, the Bulls could collectively slow down Duncan a bit, who was incredible during his second year run, and Jordan at 36 would still have dominated the Spurs. The Bulls would have been hugely helped by the lockout season, which would have been an enormous help to their aging roster.

So in any event, that's a real substantive rebuttal to the drivel spat out by the OP and others in this thread. This should serve to educate some of you.

I'm sure his dad dying had something to do with it. And that had to add to his "loss of motivation." But I think the biggest reason is he simply did lose the inner drive to need to prove anything. He ran out of challenges and his popularity after the 1993 season was at an all time high. He simply couldn't go anywhere in the world without being mobbed. His dad's death probably pushed him into retiring along with his immense popularity and not needing to prove anything. So there were several factors imo.

ClipperRevival
07-31-2015, 03:52 PM
I don't laugh because that's the whole problem... He still is viewed that way...

Yeah, Barkley always talks about how the public reacted differently to MJ than to any other celebrity he's been with. They just react differently. Like he's beyond just a human being but a God-like figure. One time he mentioned on the Oprah Winfrey show that when they were playing pool, people stood there just staring at him for like an hour in awe. Just staring because they couldn't believe they were seeing MJ in the flesh.

superteamtheory
07-31-2015, 04:12 PM

Thanks for not giving me detention too, you the best, teach..

I'm sure his dad dying had something to do with it.

I'd say it had everything to do with it. ... Without that, my comments would be more or less accurate / there'd be no excuses really, it'd just be this really silly thing where the best player ever on the court randomly/lamely decided he wanted to play baseball.. I'd rather hear he did it to save Bugz Bunny than he was tired of the league's scrutiny etc. ...

The deeper story was he had a personal reason for wanting to get away.. no logic to it really, he just sort of lost his mind for a little while, understandably...

In 98, it was Krause, management were assholes etc. and I can't blame Pippen for wanting the money really but you look at what the Spurs are doing now, sacrificing money... The Bulls are in an even surer position of being able to keep competing.. Can they put differences aside for even just 1 more year? (Pippen's 99 ended up being a semi-disaster anyway..) Can't MJ just use his leadership talent to talk Pippen into it one last time? Says to me they weren't really enjoying it as much anymore and were basically just fuelled in 98 by the Bullsmania / MJ phenomenon.. The 6th ring was empty and meaningless for the team other than as a surewhynot.. For MJ it meant a little more because it more or less put him forever ahead of any of his 80's-90's peers... with the next generation unlikely to measure up...

As old guys who just threepeated, with or without Phil Jackson, they could have won the East one last time in 99... but those West teams were a little fresher... and so it would have been a toss up and the sense I get is it just didn't seem worth one more backbreaking effort..

ClipperRevival
07-31-2015, 04:21 PM
Thanks for not giving me detention too, you the best, teach..

I'd say it had everything to do with it. ... Without that, my comments would be more or less accurate / there'd be no excuses really, it'd just be this really silly thing where the best player ever on the court randomly/lamely decided he wanted to play baseball.. I'd rather hear he did it to save Bugz Bunny than he was tired of the league's scrutiny etc. ...

The deeper story was he had a personal reason for wanting to get away.. no logic to it really, he just sort of lost his mind for a little while, understandably...

In 98, it was Krause, management were assholes etc. and I can't blame Pippen for wanting the money really but you look at what the Spurs are doing now, sacrificing money... The Bulls are in an even surer position of being able to keep competing.. Can they put differences aside for even just 1 more year? (Pippen's 99 ended up being a semi-disaster anyway..) Can't MJ just use his leadership talent to talk Pippen into it one last time? Says to me they weren't really enjoying it as much anymore and were basically just fuelled in 98 by the Bullsmania / MJ phenomenon.. The 6th ring was empty and meaningless for the team other than as a surewhynot.. For MJ it meant a little more because it more or less put him forever ahead of any of his 80's-90's peers... with the next generation unlikely to measure up...

As old guys who just threepeated, with or without Phil Jackson, they could have won the East one last time in 99... but those West teams were a little fresher... and so it would have been a toss up and the sense I get is it just didn't seem worth one more backbreaking effort..

Umm, who knows why he retired after 1993. Only MJ and his inner circle really knows. My opinion during that time was that MJ really did get tired of the constant media bombardment along with just having 3 peated and he needed a break. Again, I'm sure his dad dying had something to do with it. That's why he played baseball. I know his dad wanted him to play baseball. I just don't think his dad dying was the sole reason. It was several factors.

Elosha
07-31-2015, 05:23 PM
[QUOTE=superteamtheory]Thanks for not giving me detention too, you the best, teach..

No problem. Let me know whenever you need to learn anything else about Jordan.

Elosha
07-31-2015, 05:27 PM
I'm sure his dad dying had something to do with it. And that had to add to his "loss of motivation." But I think the biggest reason is he simply did lose the inner drive to need to prove anything. He ran out of challenges and his popularity after the 1993 season was at an all time high. He simply couldn't go anywhere in the world without being mobbed. His dad's death probably pushed him into retiring along with his immense popularity and not needing to prove anything. So there were several factors imo.

I agree that it was several factors, I just think his dad dying was the biggest. Losing your father and one of your best friends from murder is more traumatic than being mobbed with media/fans, which Jordan had been dealing with his whole life. But I think both of us can agree that without his father's death - even if you think it wasn't the biggest factor - he probably would not have retired in 93.

superteamtheory
07-31-2015, 06:06 PM
But I think both of us can agree that without his father's death - even if you think it wasn't the biggest factor - he probably would not have retired in 93.

The reality is, we should all probably just look at it as if he didn't, as if he did play like normal that year and what would the likely outcome be: Bulls in 6 or 7 over Rockets. (Not 95 tho. Addition of Drexler was a big deal and if Bulls couldn't handle Shaq & Penny + depth, Hakeem & Drex + depth would have been a whole other trip.. training camp / full season or not..)

So what we're left with is he *might* have won 94, 99, the 6 years he did win and maybe some of those Pistons battles if the officiating was more like the modern era and the Pistons couldn't just hammer guys / if MJ keeps attacking he gets the calls... He very well could have matched or come very close to Bill Russell's 11...

So at the end of it whatever bullshit there is with his story or legacy, at the end of the day there's the fact that he turned his teams into contenders from about 88 and onward...