PDA

View Full Version : LeBron and Kobe the only rivals that never played against each other in the playoffs?

Heisenberg
08-01-2015, 05:14 PM
whats with the comparisons then? they have different play styles, different body types, drafted in a different era, and they are friends in real life. This is probably the worst rivalry in NBA history.

RRR3
08-01-2015, 05:17 PM
Both were hailed as the heir apparent to MJ.

Kobe fans have also generally disliked LeBron for years, which made it hard for LeBron fans to like Kobe.

JT123
08-01-2015, 05:17 PM
They came close, but unfortunately Kobe choked against Dallas in 2011.

imnew09
08-01-2015, 05:25 PM
They came close, but unfortunately Lebron choked against Celtics and Magic

Fixed

AnaheimLakers24
08-01-2015, 05:27 PM
Reason bron is scared of the west

SpecialQue
08-01-2015, 05:28 PM
They aren't rivals. If anything, the stans are rivals. Kobe and Lebron are friends.

Magic 32
08-01-2015, 05:28 PM

Speaking of choking in 2011...

Bernkastel
08-01-2015, 05:31 PM
They aren't rivals. If anything, the stans are rivals. Kobe and Lebron are friends.

This.

JT123
08-01-2015, 05:31 PM
With these two never meeting in the Finals the only thing we can go by is regular season head to head.

Head to head wins - Bron 14, Baldbe 6
That's a 70% win percentage for Bron! :lebronamazed:

RRR3
08-01-2015, 05:34 PM
Exactly. The media also pushed their "rivalry" pretty hard.
Paul Pierce has been LeBrons real rival as far as another star perimeter player. Not sure who I would say Kobes biggest rival is.

triangleoffense
08-01-2015, 05:50 PM
Remember when people were so disappointed and really was thinking badly of Lebron's pressure game situation when they lost to Orlando in 2009 after seeing all those Kobe-Lebron puppet commercials all playoffs?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvad5_WBWTY

AnaheimLakers24
08-01-2015, 05:52 PM
Exactly. The media also pushed their "rivalry" pretty hard.
Paul Pierce has been LeBrons real rival as far as another star perimeter player. Not sure who I would say Kobes biggest rival is.
The media, shaq, or jordans legacy

Mr. I'm So Rad
08-01-2015, 08:47 PM
LeBron was the most hyped high school player of all time, and he came in at a time when Kobe's image was in shambles. You think people hate Kobe now? He was the #1 most despised player on the planet when LeBron was drafted. The league was desperately looking for a fresh new face to replace Kobe as the "heir apparent" to Jordan and LeBron was the obvious choice with how good he was immediately and how marketable he was. So, it was obvious the comparisons would start, and then the stans started attacking each other to hold ground.

rmt
08-01-2015, 09:53 PM
In the meantime, Lebron has played the Spurs 3 times in the Finals and no one hypes up it up as a rivalry.

AnaheimLakers24
08-01-2015, 10:13 PM
In the meantime, Lebron has played the Spurs 3 times in the Finals and no one hypes up it up as a rivalry.
Get over it. Duncan and spurs will always be boring as shit :roll:

rmt
08-01-2015, 10:44 PM

You obviously have not been watching the recent Spurs and the BEAUTIFUL basketball that they play.

Do you think that Lebron even gives Kobe a thought? Instead he's thinking, "Damn Duncan and those Spurs - if not for them, I'd have 2 more championships - there'd be NO QUESTION that I'm top 10. Here they come again (reloaded) - will they EVER GO AWAY?" :roll:

gilalizard
08-01-2015, 10:47 PM

This must be a set-up... it's too easy...

gilalizard
08-01-2015, 10:51 PM

I love watching San Antonio. The Spurs in 2014 Finals was some of the most sublime basketball ever.

LeBron's game, on the other hand, is as ugly as dogshit.

TheMarkMadsen
08-01-2015, 11:06 PM
You obviously have not been watching the recent Spurs and the BEAUTIFUL basketball that they play.

Do you think that Lebron even gives Kobe a thought? Instead he's thinking, "Damn Duncan and those Spurs - if not for them, I'd have 2 more championships - there'd be NO QUESTION that I'm top 10. Here they come again (reloaded) - will they EVER GO AWAY?" :roll:

nah but i'm sure Pop & Duncan count their blessing everyday and thank whatever god they believe in that Kobe isn't still around kicking their ass year in and year out in the playoff

Springsteen
08-01-2015, 11:07 PM

Duncan stays winning while you'll prop up Old Man Bryant chucking up 20+ shots a game next season on a bottom feeder. Have fun.

Cali Syndicate
08-01-2015, 11:16 PM
LeBron was the most hyped high school player of all time, and he came in at a time when Kobe's image was in shambles. You think people hate Kobe now? He was the #1 most despised player on the planet when LeBron was drafted. The league was desperately looking for a fresh new face to replace Kobe as the "heir apparent" to Jordan and LeBron was the obvious choice with how good he was immediately and how marketable he was. So, it was obvious the comparisons would start, and then the stans started attacking each other to hold ground.

Some of that may be true but lebron's hype was more based on the fact he was/is a freak of nature. I mean, he was already bigger than most sf's in the nba as a 17 year old, and on top of that had top shelf athleticism, not to mention his advanced passing abilities. Yeah kobe effed up his image but lebron is a once in a lifetime type of nba athelete.

Smook B
08-01-2015, 11:24 PM

Everything ISH told me was a lie :biggums:

rmt
08-01-2015, 11:33 PM
nah but i'm sure Pop & Duncan count their blessing everyday and thank whatever god they believe in that Kobe isn't still around kicking their ass year in and year out in the playoff

I think Pop & Duncan count their blessings everyday that they have each other. Did you see the SouthWest Division last year - I think they've got other players to worry about than an old, injured Kobe like Davis, Harden, Dwight, M. Gasol, etc. just in their division, much less conference. That Kobe doesn't exist anymore - you're thinking in the past.

BBallZen83
08-01-2015, 11:38 PM
It's aalways been more of a stan rival than a player rival.

TheMarkMadsen
08-01-2015, 11:39 PM
I think Pop & Duncan count their blessings everyday that they have each other. Did you see the SouthWest Division last year - I think they've got other players to worry about than an old, injured Kobe like Davis, Harden, Dwight, M. Gasol, etc. just in their division, much less conference. That Kobe doesn't exist anymore - you're thinking in the past.

Kobe was the ultimate spurs killer

rmt
08-01-2015, 11:45 PM
Kobe WAS the ultimate spurs killer

That's back in the day when he had MDE Shaq as a team mate. DRob, Duncan, Rose, Willis, Nesterovic - all focused on stopping Shaq. Anyways, Kobe and the Lakers are no one's worry these days.

TheMarkMadsen
08-01-2015, 11:55 PM
That's back in the day when he had MDE Shaq as a team mate. DRob, Duncan, Rose, Willis, Nesterovic - all focused on stopping Shaq. Anyways, Kobe and the Lakers are no one's worry these days.

is that why Kobe led the lakers in scoring in every series they played the spurs from 01-04.. :oldlol:

2001 WCF stats

Kobe: 33/7/7/2/1 on 57% TS

Shaq: 27/13/2/1/1 on 54% TS

2002 WCSF stats

Kobe: 26/5/5

Shaq: 21/12/3

Kobe was more efficient in that series as well

and what about 08, what's your excuse for that.. i'm waiting :roll:

DMV2
08-01-2015, 11:56 PM
:oldlol: at you thinking Kobe has friends.

rmt
08-02-2015, 12:42 AM
is that why Kobe led the lakers in scoring in every series they played the spurs from 01-04.. :oldlol:

2001 WCF stats

Kobe: 33/7/7/2/1 on 57% TS

Shaq: 27/13/2/1/1 on 54% TS

2002 WCSF stats

Kobe: 26/5/5

Shaq: 21/12/3

Kobe was more efficient in that series as well

and what about 08, what's your excuse for that.. i'm waiting :roll:

Did you miss my point that the Spurs were focused on stopping Shaq - not Kobe? And I offer no excuses for the Spurs - they win some and they lose some - point is that they're still in contention for winning some and Kobe and the Lakers aren't.

Hey Yo
08-02-2015, 12:42 AM
Both were hailed as the heir apparent to MJ.

Kobe fans have also generally disliked LeBron for years, which made it hard for LeBron fans to like Kobe.
Kobe was hailed?

He didn't have his own team / first option until like his 9th year in the league. Then after 3yrs of having that role, he demanded to be traded because he didn't have enough help.

Next MJ??

:oldlol:

TheMarkMadsen
08-02-2015, 12:45 AM
Did you miss my point that the Spurs were focused on stopping Shaq - not Kobe? And I offer no excuses for the Spurs - they win some and they lose some - point is that they're still in contention for winning some and Kobe and the Lakers aren't.

except that's not a point, that's just some retarded drivel Kobe haters spew out when they have nothing to say

Magic 32
08-02-2015, 06:24 AM
Springsteen is unusually defensive for a self proclaimed "winner". :oldlol:

Kobe will always be the ultimate Spurs killer.

Watching the Black Mamba take apart the Spurs in 2008 was more entertaining than all of Timmy's playoff games put together.

Magic 32
08-02-2015, 06:27 AM
With these two never meeting in the Finals the only thing we can go by is regular season head to head.

Head to head wins - Bron 14, Baldbe 6
That's a 70% win percentage for Bron! :lebronamazed:

Lebron is the king of insignificant games.

RidonKs
08-02-2015, 06:35 AM
yeah this is more like bird and drexler never meeting in the finals. two really good players who never squared off in a meaningful series against one another.

PickernRoller
08-02-2015, 06:35 AM
Springsteen is unusually defensive for a self proclaimed "winner". :oldlol:

Kobe will always be the ultimate Spurs killer.

Watching the Black Mamba take apart the Spurs in 2008 was more entertaining than all of Timmy's playoff games put together.

A thing of beauty for sure. Like watching the black swan with Mozart background music....:bowdown: :bowdown:

L.A. Jazz
08-02-2015, 12:52 PM
How about MJ and Dream?
Rockets think they could have beaten the Bulls. I dont think so, but they never met in the finals. We never know.

RRR3
08-02-2015, 12:57 PM
except that's not a point, that's just some retarded drivel Kobe haters spew out when they have nothing to say
You think the Spurs were focused on Kobe more than Shaq? Honestly? :coleman:

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
08-02-2015, 01:03 PM
Lakers would have smashed the Cavs both years, and LeBron's legacy would have been 2/8 instead of 2/6. Making the finals is better, but getting ousted by a Kobe Bryant led team wouldn't have done him any favors.

HylianNightmare
08-02-2015, 01:04 PM
Wade and Kobe

RRR3
08-02-2015, 01:05 PM
Lakers would have smashed the Cavs both years, and LeBron's legacy would have been 2/8 instead of 2/6. Making the finals is better, but getting ousted by a Kobe Bryant led team wouldn't have done him any favors.
Kobe led teams have an excellent track record against LeBron led teams. I agree.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
08-02-2015, 01:08 PM
Kobe led teams have an excellent track record against LeBron led teams. I agree.

I assume you're being sarcastic, but I can assure you regular-season matchups mean zilch in the playoffs.

LA would've taken care of them a lot of easier than they did Orlando and Boston.

Your boy would have to lock himself inside his KIA, weeping the embarrassment of 0/2 against Kobe in the finals.

RRR3
08-02-2015, 01:10 PM
I assume you're being sarcastic, but I can assure you regular-season matchups mean zilch in the playoffs.

LA would've taken care of them a lot of easier than they did Orlando and Boston.

Your boy would have to lock himself inside his KIA, weeping the embarrassment of 0/2 against Kobe in the finals.
hurr durr 2/6

Sad to see you've become another one of the mindless rabble. Ah well. Shame LeBron isn't superman and can't win with dleaguers :eek:

ArbitraryWater
08-02-2015, 01:11 PM

Magic got insanely hot against the Cavaliers from 3, and barely, I mean barely won that series in 6... multiple games won on last second shots.

In 2010 the Cavs won the season series, like in 2008. I see LAL with a good chance of winning, but 'smashing', is not appropriate. You know Bron would own those series', too. Tends to dominate when the bright lights are on him and Kobe.

RRR3
08-02-2015, 01:11 PM
Magic got insanely hot against the Cavaliers from 3, and barely, I mean barely won that series in 6... multiple games won on last second shots.

In 2010 the Cavs won the season series, like in 2008. I see LAL with a good chance of winning, but 'smashing', is not appropriate. You know Bron would own those series', too. Tends to dominate when the bright lights are on him and Kobe.
No man LeBron is the worst player of all time. He'd choke for sure. Kobe is perfection in human form.

ArbitraryWater
08-02-2015, 01:13 PM
No man LeBron is the worst player of all time. He'd choke for sure. Kobe is perfection in human form.

seems like it.. kuniva's thoughts on all of this have unexpectedly taken a 180

RRR3
08-02-2015, 01:15 PM
[QUOTE=ArbitraryWater]seems like it.. kuniva's thoughts on all of this have unexpectedly taken a 180

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
08-02-2015, 01:17 PM
hurr durr 2/6

Sad to see you've become another one of the mindless rabble. Ah well. Shame LeBron isn't superman and can't win with dleaguers :eek:

Making the finals is great, but losing to Kobe would have been utterly embarrassing. Double-edged sword if I ever seen one.

I can't imagine the mass seppuku's LeBron fans would've committed. :oldlol:

ArbitraryWater
08-02-2015, 01:20 PM
gotta contain myself.. tryna stay cool with Mighty :oldlol:

RRR3
08-02-2015, 01:20 PM
Making the finals is great, but losing to Kobe would have been utterly embarrassing. Double-edged sword if I ever seen one.

I can't imagine the mass seppuku's LeBron fans would've committed. :oldlol:
:sleeping

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
08-02-2015, 01:21 PM
gotta contain myself.. tryna stay cool with Mighty :oldlol:

I'm having fun with you guys in all honesty. Funny how RRR3 actually takes my light-hearted trolling seriously. :oldlol:

ArbitraryWater
08-02-2015, 01:23 PM
I'm having fun with you guys in all honesty. Funny how RRR3 actually takes my light-hearted trolling seriously. :oldlol:

http://i1383.photobucket.com/albums/ah306/MaleRuler/GIFs/hMLhVKT_zpsactwh5oc.gif (http://s1383.photobucket.com/user/MaleRuler/media/GIFs/hMLhVKT_zpsactwh5oc.gif.html)

http://i1383.photobucket.com/albums/ah306/MaleRuler/GIFs/pitbull-o_zpsacvk20yn.gif (http://s1383.photobucket.com/user/MaleRuler/media/GIFs/pitbull-o_zpsacvk20yn.gif.html)

RRR3
08-02-2015, 01:26 PM
I expect better from good posters such as yourself. :coleman:

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
08-02-2015, 01:28 PM
http://i1383.photobucket.com/albums/ah306/MaleRuler/GIFs/hMLhVKT_zpsactwh5oc.gif (http://s1383.photobucket.com/user/MaleRuler/media/GIFs/hMLhVKT_zpsactwh5oc.gif.html)

http://i1383.photobucket.com/albums/ah306/MaleRuler/GIFs/pitbull-o_zpsacvk20yn.gif (http://s1383.photobucket.com/user/MaleRuler/media/GIFs/pitbull-o_zpsacvk20yn.gif.html)

This nigguh already knows :cheers:

SpecialQue
08-02-2015, 01:38 PM
Regular season match ups mean shit.

Case in point: the Bulls kicking the living shit out of the Heat in the regular season during the big three's first year together. How did their matchup turn out when the games mattered?

Back on topic. Kobe and Lebron: NOT rivals. Never were, and at this point never will be. It never happened. Sorry stans, you lost.

Sigmund Freud
08-02-2015, 01:40 PM
Regular season match ups mean shit.

Case in point: the Bulls kicking the living shit out of the Heat in the regular season during the big three's first year together. How did their matchup turn out when the games mattered?

Back on topic. Kobe and Lebron: NOT rivals. Never were, and at this point never will be. It never happened. Sorry stans, you lost.
I know.

KG215
08-02-2015, 01:41 PM
They came close, but unfortunately LeBron choked against Orlando in 2009 and Boston in 2010.

WayOfWade
08-02-2015, 01:41 PM
Not really rivals, but I'd love to see LeBron and Wade duke it out for a series, hopefully this year.

Wade's Rings
08-02-2015, 01:45 PM

The Cavs swept L.A in 2010 and the addition of Shaq was mostly for L.A IIRC. In 2009 L.A would win and 2010 assuming Bron plays well I think the Cavs beat L.A.

SpecialQue
08-02-2015, 02:40 PM
The Cavs swept L.A in 2010 and the addition of Shaq was mostly for L.A IIRC. In 2009 L.A would win and 2010 assuming Bron plays well I think the Cavs beat L.A.

The Bulls swept the Heat in the 2011 regular season.

The Nets swept the Heat in the 2014 regular season.

How did those playoff matches turn out?

Wade's Rings
08-02-2015, 03:55 PM
The Bulls swept the Heat in the 2011 regular season.

The Nets swept the Heat in the 2014 regular season.

How did those playoff matches turn out?

In 2014 IIRC Wade missed 2-3 Regular Season Games vs the Nets.

I get your point but the addition of Shaq in 2010 IIRC was for the Lakers. In 2009 the Lakers matched up better with them in but in 2010 the Cavs, assuming Bron played well, matched up solidly with L.A.

Indian guy
08-02-2015, 04:39 PM
What is this crap that if you're friends, you can't be rivals? By that logic, MJ never had a rival, because he was basically friends with all the top players of his era - Magic, Dumars, Drexler, Barkley, Ewing and so on. As long as 2 people on a SIMILAR level are competing against each other, they are rivals. Kobe and LeBron were pretty much considered the 2 best players in the league for half a decade(06-10). And if you think they didn't get really up to prove a point when LA/Cleveland matched up, then you must have been in a coma in the 00's.

ArbitraryWater
08-02-2015, 04:42 PM
What is this crap that if you're friends, you can't be rivals? By that logic, MJ never had a rival, because he was basically friends with all the top players of his era - Magic, Dumars, Drexler, Barkley, Ewing and so on. As long as 2 people on a SIMILAR level are competing against each other, they are rivals. Kobe and LeBron were pretty much considered the 2 best players in the league for half a decade(06-10). And if you think they didn't get really up to prove a point when LA/Cleveland matched up, then you must have been in a coma in the 00's.

but wait, Laker fans such as SpecialQue say those games are irrelevant.. :wtf:

3peated
08-02-2015, 04:43 PM
Speaking of choking in 2011...

d12's magic beat lebrons cleveland....coulda been kobe/lebron finals that year. lebron choked.

MEB2kDeez
08-02-2015, 04:46 PM
Yeah but there was never a true rivalry between KB/LBJ like there was for Magic/Bird, Russell/Wilt, etc. Like someone said it's the media and stans making them out two tyrannical leaders with hatred for eachother.

Could've been, but never truly formed into it.

JT123
08-02-2015, 04:50 PM
Kobe stans will avoid the bolded like the plague

ArbitraryWater
08-02-2015, 05:09 PM
Yeah but there was never a true rivalry between KB/LBJ like there was for Magic/Bird, Russell/Wilt, etc. Like someone said it's the media and stans making them out two tyrannical leaders with hatred for eachother.

Could've been, but never truly formed into it.

Except, those Kobe/Bron matchups were the biggest games of the regular season.

MJistheGOAT
08-02-2015, 10:01 PM
This is only a fake rivalry invented by media and ignited by stans.
No series played, regular season games are not enough. They are friends off the court.
Similar situation Lebron-KD but at least they played a finals.

Real Lebron rivalries are Pierce/Celtics and Spurs.

A real rivalry was Bird-Magic, Wilt-Russell, MJ-Bad boys, not this weak *hit soap opera type of fake rivalry.

MEB2kDeez
08-02-2015, 10:14 PM
Except, those Kobe/Bron matchups were the biggest games of the regular season.
I'm not doubting that, just saying their rivalry isn't authentic compared to others.