PDA

View Full Version : Will this Jazz team ever contend?

WayOfWade
08-02-2015, 08:42 PM
And if not, what do they lack?
I'd love to think that they will in the future, but I have a tough time seeing them get to the level of the Spurs/Warriors/Cavs anytime soon. They have a ton of great pieces, but no-clear cut superstar, and haven't even had an all-star since like 2011. Unless Gordon Hayward or Derrick Favors just outright explode and become invincible (which to me seems unlikely), they won't ever really have a shot at the title. Also, it'd be way hard for them to attract any big-name free agent, seeing as they almost never really have done so.

FireDavidKahn
08-02-2015, 08:44 PM
You need superstars to win unless you can put together a historically great "team first" team like the Pistons a decade ago. Utah has no potential superstars right now. If everything goes right I can see them consistently contending as a 4-6 seed for a long time.

TripleA
08-02-2015, 08:49 PM
Gordon hayward I think will make the step into stardom next year and with Kanter gone and Gobert starting their defense will improve a lot. I say their ceiling is limited unless they become a dominant defensive team.

BuffaloBill
08-02-2015, 08:50 PM
They need a PG. Burke/Exum might be the worst PG/backup combo in the league

Jameerthefear
08-02-2015, 08:52 PM
PG position is a complete mess. Too early to give up on Exum though (but if they need to make a big move, move him)
Still need an 'it' guy imo.

outbreak
08-02-2015, 08:53 PM
I don't see one of those team work type rosters and I don't see a star either so they need to make a move imo.

Jameerthefear
08-02-2015, 08:55 PM
I don't see one of those team work type rosters and I don't see a star either so they need to make a move imo.
I can see a team work roster. They just have a really shitty PG rotation. I think it'd be cool to see a superstar go to Utah but idk if they have ever signed a notable FA.

oarabbus
08-02-2015, 09:22 PM
I can see a team work roster. They just have a really shitty PG rotation. I think it'd be cool to see a superstar go to Utah but idk if they have ever signed a notable FA.

They keep getting and moving big men without ever addressing the PG situation. They are like a less retarded version of the Nuggets in terms of roster-building incompetency (not specifically PGs).

Jameerthefear
08-02-2015, 09:34 PM
They keep getting and moving big men without ever addressing the PG situation. They are like a less retarded version of the Nuggets in terms of roster-building incompetency (not specifically PGs).
Yeah it's kinda weird. Are they investing in Trey Burke (terrible)?
Exum I understand but... I guess maybe Burke's value is so low it's not worth trading him?

ProfessorMurder
08-02-2015, 09:37 PM
Hire Thibs as head coach. Get a PG. Get a 20+ppg scorer.

WayOfWade
08-02-2015, 09:40 PM
Yeah it's kinda weird. Are they investing in Trey Burke (terrible)?
Exum I understand but... I guess maybe Burke's value is so low it's not worth trading him?
Yeah, I was a lot more hyped about Trey Burke when we first drafted him, but his sophomore step back isn't very encouraging. What can they do to get a better point guard though? Draft him? They've drafted 2 the last 2 years, and they aren't really the best 1-2 punch. Free agency? I really don't see any high quality PG's coming over to Utah any time soon.

Jameerthefear
08-02-2015, 09:54 PM
Yeah, I was a lot more hyped about Trey Burke when we first drafted him, but his sophomore step back isn't very encouraging. What can they do to get a better point guard though? Draft him? They've drafted 2 the last 2 years, and they aren't really the best 1-2 punch. Free agency? I really don't see any high quality PG's coming over to Utah any time soon.
Well, picking better could help. 2013 draft was weak but in 2014 Elfrid was there in the 1st round.

Jameerthefear
08-02-2015, 09:55 PM
Holy shit you're back! I was literally just thinking about you a day or two ago. Didn't recognize you. How was your trip?

Legends66NBA7
08-02-2015, 09:56 PM
Frontcourt wise, they are set. They need more firepower in the backcourt and bench.

Hayward is a good player but he can't carry a team all the way offensively.

CakeorDeath
08-02-2015, 09:57 PM
Gordon hayward I think will make the step into stardom next year and with Kanter gone and Gobert starting their defense will improve a lot. I say their ceiling is limited unless they become a dominant defensive team.

They were far and away the best defensive team in the league last year after they traded Anus. Granted, a relatively small sample size of about 30 games, but that's still large enough to say that it isn't a fluke

CakeorDeath
08-02-2015, 10:00 PM
They need a PG. Burke/Exum might be the worst PG/backup combo in the league

5 PGs on the roster now, one of whom is Burke and 3 of whom are potential replacements for Burke.

Jazz really believe in Exum. His defense is already good but he is a project offensively. Just turned 20 like 2 weeks ago. Way too early to know what he is yet.

CakeorDeath
08-02-2015, 10:05 PM
Hire Thibs as head coach. Get a PG. Get a 20+ppg scorer.

Why in the world would the Jazz hire Thibs? Snyder appears to be an excellent coach, especially on the defensive end and on player development.

CakeorDeath
08-02-2015, 10:09 PM
Frontcourt wise, they are set. They need more firepower in the backcourt and bench.

Hayward is a good player but he can't carry a team all the way offensively.

Burks was hurt pretty much all last season. Getting him back helps a lot.

Burks, Hayward, and Hood is a very solid swingman rotation. Hayward is the old man at 25.

WayOfWade
08-02-2015, 10:16 PM
Holy shit you're back! I was literally just thinking about you a day or two ago. Didn't recognize you. How was your trip?
That's sweet how you were thinking about me a day or two ago. But yeah, my trip went great; I learned Spanish, talked to a ton of great people, and finally got back last Tuesday and was able to see my family for the first time. Good stuff

Xiao Yao You
08-02-2015, 11:51 PM
You need superstars to win unless you can put together a historically great "team first" team like the Pistons a decade ago. Utah has no potential superstars right now. If everything goes right I can see them consistently contending as a 4-6 seed for a long time.

They were the 6th best team in the whole league at the end of last year with no pg or back-up center. If Gobert stays healthy the sky is the limit for this team.

I say their ceiling is limited unless they become a dominant defensive team.

They were playing at a historically great level to end the year.

Burke/Exum might be the worst PG/backup combo in the league

Burke won't be playing. Doubt he's on the team.

I guess maybe Burke's value is so low it's not worth trading him?

I'm guessing no one wants him.

picking better could help. 2013 draft was weak but in 2014 Elfrid was there in the 1st round.

Hood, Gobert, Neto and now Lyles in the past 3 drafts is looking pretty good to me.

ClipperRevival
08-03-2015, 12:11 AM
Really like Lyles. Think he's going to be a good one. Perfect size for a 4, fluid athlete and has a shot. Utah has one of the best front courts in Gobert, Favors and Booker. And if Lyles turns out like I think he will, he will only add to that depth.

Never understood why Evans hasn't panned out. He has special athleticism. But looks like an athlete playing ball without the skills.

Way too early to determine anything about Exum. But can't teach his size and solid athleticism.

Burke is another guy with all the tools. Still wouldn't give up on him yet.

Ingles seems like one of those really high bball iq guys who can set the table for his teammates.

Hayward is the guy who might determine just how far they go.

Overall, Utah has an extremely young and talented team. In the long run, they might need to find that one guy who can carry them offensively as "the man" if Hyaward isn't that guy but as is, I think they can squeeze into the playoffs this year.

Xiao Yao You
08-03-2015, 12:16 AM
Really like Lyles. Think he's going to be a good one. Perfect size for a 4, fluid athlete and has a shot. Utah has one of the best front courts in Gobert, Favors and Booker. And if Lyles turns out like I think he will, he will only add to that depth.

He looks like a player. He could help them most at the 5 right now I'd think.

Never understood why Evans hasn't panned out. He has special athleticism. But looks like an athlete playing ball without the skills.

He had a nice year the year before last. The new staff didn't like him. Good pick-up for the Mavs.

Way too early to determine anything about Exum. But can't teach his size and solid athleticism.

Burke is another guy with all the tools. Still wouldn't give up on him yet.
He does? He's slow. He's small. He's a gunner. He can't shoot. He can't defend. He got worse last year. Has to go. Neto and Cotton are better.

Ingles seems like one of those really high bball iq guys who can set the table for his teammates.

Ended the year well last year.

Hayward is the guy who might determine just how far they go.

Hood looks like he could be better than him.

Overall, Utah has an extremely young and talented team. In the long run, they might need to find that one guy who can carry them offensively as "the man" if Hyaward isn't that guy but as is, I think they can squeeze into the playoffs this year.

They should be a top team but their off-season has been very disappointing.

ClipperRevival
08-03-2015, 12:24 AM
He looks like a player. He could help them most at the 5 right now I'd think.

He had a nice year the year before last. The new staff didn't like him. Good pick-up for the Mavs.

He does? He's slow. He's small. He's a gunner. He can't shoot. He can't defend. He got worse last year. Has to go. Neto and Cotton are better.

Ended the year well last year.

They should be a top team but their off-season has been very disappointing.

Regarding Burke, I try not to give up on guys with good athleticism. Burke has the quickness and explosiveness to get by guys and attack the basket. I'll be honest, haven't watched that much of him. But that's just me. If you have rare athleticism, I am more forgiving because you can teach skills but you can't teach athleticism.

You think Hood has a chance to be better than Hayward, who is a near max player? I know the guy can shoot but he didn't play much.

WayOfWade
08-03-2015, 12:29 AM

Really? I wouldn't really be able to tell, considering the fact that I couldn't watch him this past year, and he was injured. Why do you think that though?

Xiao Yao You
08-03-2015, 12:40 AM
He was great after the all-star break. Rookie of the month in April.

Xiao Yao You
08-03-2015, 12:42 AM
Regarding Burke, I try not to give up on guys with good athleticism. Burke has the quickness and explosiveness to get by guys and attack the basket. I'll be honest, haven't watched that much of him. But that's just me. If you have rare athleticism, I am more forgiving because you can teach skills but you can't teach athleticism.

You think Hood has a chance to be better than Hayward, who is a near max player? I know the guy can shoot but he didn't play much.

Burke isn't athletic. He has hit some clutch shots. and doesn't turn the ball over but that is more because he doesn't make any tough passes. He's a bad fit for the team. Might be able to play for someone?

ClipperRevival
08-03-2015, 12:50 AM
Burke isn't athletic. He has hit some clutch shots. and doesn't turn the ball over but that is more because he doesn't make any tough passes. He's a bad fit for the team. Might be able to play for someone?

He's not Westbrook or prime Rose athletic but he has solid, NBA level athleticism for a PG. My point is, if he fails, it won't be because he wasn't athletic enough.

wally_world
08-03-2015, 08:24 AM
They need a shot creator in the backcourt or else they'll never have enough offence to contend

My 2k15 Jazz team traded a couple picks to move up for D'Angelo Russell and we're beastin :pimp:

Dbrog
08-03-2015, 09:18 AM
This Jazz team is just competing for a playoff spot which they probably won't even get. I don't see how they are just going to get 2 superstars out of nowhere which is the MINIMUM that you have to have now to compete for championships. Their ceiling is the Hawks of the west.

BuffaloBill
08-03-2015, 09:46 AM
5 PGs on the roster now, one of whom is Burke and 3 of whom are potential replacements for Burke.

Jazz really believe in Exum. His defense is already good but he is a project offensively. Just turned 20 like 2 weeks ago. Way too early to know what he is yet.

They should believe in Exum. He has the tools to be a solid PG. His athleticism and court vision are pretty impressive. But they should have someone starting in front of him for now. He's too raw and far too passive. Jazz can't take the next step unless he does. He held them back a bit last season.

Xiao Yao You
08-03-2015, 11:15 AM
He's not Westbrook or prime Rose athletic but he has solid, NBA level athleticism for a PG. My point is, if he fails, it won't be because he wasn't athletic enough.

He's the worst athlete at the pg for the Jazz easily. The fact that he can't shoot and isn't a natural passer makes it real tough for him. The bad D compounds it even more.

They need a shot creator in the backcourt or else they'll never have enough offence to contend

They have 3 of them in Hayward, Burks and Hood. They need some role players that will hit open shots now. It will open up the court. They had too many guys being left wide open last year.

I don't see how they are just going to get 2 superstars out of nowhere which is the MINIMUM that you have to have now to compete for championships. Their ceiling is the Hawks of the west.

Hawks might be champions if they had Gobert. He took the team from one of the worst to one of the best.

NugzFan
08-03-2015, 01:50 PM

Trolls gonna troll.