PDA

View Full Version : Harden's Adidas offer, and why SuperTeams are just around the corner

UK2K
08-03-2015, 04:35 PM
The company has submitted a bid of $200 million over 13 years to sign Houston Rockets guard James Harden, sources told ESPN.com. Nike, whose deal with Harden recently expired, has until the end of next week to match the deal or lose him.

A $200 million offer is huge, considering it represents half of what the brand paid for 11 seasons as the NBA's official uniform supplier. Earlier this year, Adidas announced that it would not fight to renew that deal, which will see its competitor Nike take over after the 2016-17 season.

With incentives, if the deal is consummated, Harden could very well make more from Adidas in the coming years than the Rockets.

Soon these dudes wont give AF what teams are paying when they know endorsements dwarf it. Even with an increasing salary cap, one endorsement is going to pay him $16m per year.

What kind of endorsements would a super team get? The best team in NBA history, with globally recognized faces... their NBA paycheck would be nothing compared to what every company in the world would pay them to market their brand.

It's coming. Soon.

niko
08-03-2015, 05:04 PM
GS has more young talent than most teams. What is a super team? A team (like GS) with a lot of talent but who comes together via free agency so we whine more?

RidonKs
08-04-2015, 06:38 AM
GS has more young talent than most teams. What is a super team? A team (like GS) with a lot of talent but who comes together via free agency so we whine more?
a team with a bunch of stars who take pay cuts because they make it up through endorsements anyway. but maybe reputation will counterbalance it, in that guys still want to make more from the league compared to their piers...

Jon_Koncak
08-04-2015, 01:55 PM
How does Adidas just throws this kind of money to players?Do they make such huge profits that they can give 200 million dollars to Harden?Crazy.

Kblaze8855
08-04-2015, 02:00 PM
This has been going on for some time....the numbers just get bigger because there is so much more money in the game.

In 92 Shaq was given a contract for 3 million a season from Reebok...and the NBA salary cap was just 12 million. By percentage of the cap....Reebok was paying him a max deal.

Granted 200 million look a lot better....but guys have been living off side money for decades. I think Shaq mentioned hed not spent NBA money in 18 years.

The stars never need their NBA money. But they aren't gonna just take half and make it up off the court when they could take it all...and make it up anyway.

There is always gonna be 1 true big star who gets the love on a superteam that comes together like that. The other guys wouldn't make that much more in side money.

Is Chris Bosh just.....swimming in side money? He never seemed that big a deal to me. Not far as advertising or appeal to the masses.

BlakFrankWhite
08-04-2015, 02:02 PM
$16m/year is equivilant to peanuts these days.

KD makes $29m/year from Nike

BuffaloBill
08-04-2015, 02:04 PM
This dude just said 16m per year is peanuts

RidonKs
08-04-2015, 02:08 PM
if kevin durant signed in washington, john wall would still see advertising money. years down the line after a championship or two, when it comes to each of them re-upping, i could see both taking a small cut to sign somebody useful.

same thing with chris paul and blake griffin. those guys are on premier ad deals with state farm and kia, face of the league type shit.

kyrie will be in the spotlight in a few years. kevin love might not be but lebron ain't going anywhere.

we are still at the beginning of the tv/web revolution in the nba, and for whatever reason, it's causing 'collaboration' and 'collusion' and 'superteam making' a lot more than what used to happen. i don't think that trend is going to slow down any time soon.

for a few years i imagine the huge cap hike will incline players to sacrifice huge bonuses; before they get used to max players making $30m and average players making $15m and minimum salary being like $2m.

UK2K
08-04-2015, 02:18 PM
if kevin durant signed in washington, john wall would still see advertising money. years down the line after a championship or two, when it comes to each of them re-upping, i could see both taking a small cut to sign somebody useful.

same thing with chris paul and blake griffin. those guys are on premier ad deals with state farm and kia, face of the league type shit.

kyrie will be in the spotlight in a few years. kevin love might not be but lebron ain't going anywhere.

we are still at the beginning of the tv/web revolution in the nba, and for whatever reason, it's causing 'collaboration' and 'collusion' and 'superteam making' a lot more than what used to happen. i don't think that trend is going to slow down any time soon.

for a few years i imagine the huge cap hike will incline players to sacrifice huge bonuses; before they get used to max players making $30m and average players making $15m and minimum salary being like $2m.

I've been saying it the last two years.

One of these days, a group of FA's will come together and play for $8m a piece, and assemble the greatest starting five ever simply because they can. The endorsements a super team like that would get would blow everything else we've ever seen away. Sponsors would trip over each other trying to get their product associated with the greatest team in history.

UK2K
07-05-2016, 03:00 PM
I feel like with the Durant signing, this is relevant, again...

Next year, Lebron takes a $20m pay cut (because, why wouldn't he?), and they go out and get Blake Griffin, Westbrook, and Ibaka for $5m a piece.

$100m cap? Ok, each of us will take $10m in salary and $200m in endorsements... :oldlol:

Irving
Westbrook
Lebron
Griffin
Ibaka

2017-18 NBA champs.