PDA

View Full Version : The athletic comparioson of the top three athletic PGs

Pointguard
08-05-2015, 04:55 PM
Rose, Westbrook and Wall athletic comparison;

Like I did in an earlier post but this time we will include Wall. Please put in order who you have first, second and third (Rose, Brook, Wall) in each category above your comments.

The following are main athletic qualifiers for athleticism which are part of main Olympic events (Decathlon, Pentathlon, Gymnastics, Track) :

1)Speed
Is a greater distance than quickness. More like 50 feet.

A, B or C
Comments: Provide videos or general comments here.

2)Strength/Size

A, B or C
Comments:

3)Agility
- the power of moving quickly, fluidly and easily; nimbleness:

Comments

4)coordination
the ability to use different parts of the body (upper with lower) together smoothly and efficiently in such task as dribble and shoot with either hand, dribble without looking down. Go hard with the off hand.

Comments:

5)Balance
Shift weight, . Stop/go left to right, adjust in mid air or on the ground, spin and be aligned in their effort..

Comment:

6)Explosion
Here one moment and there the next. Seen much better if you seen a player live. Best measure is how the second and third defenders react.

Comments:

[7)jumping

Comments:

8)Dexterity
Skill in performing tasks, especially with the hands.

Comments: Dribble and left hand are obviously better in favor of Wall and

9)Endurance

Comments
10)Durability

Comments:
11)Quickness
The ability to move quickly between obstacles and change directions very fast. More like in the half court set.

Comments

BuffaloBill
08-05-2015, 05:25 PM
1)Speed

Wall
Rose
WB

2)Strength/Size

WB
Wall
Rose

3)Agility

Rose
Wall
WB

4)coordination
the ability to use different parts of the body (upper with lower) together smoothly and efficiently in such task as dribble and shoot with either hand, dribble without looking down. Go hard with the off hand.

Wall
Rose
WB

5)Balance
Shift weight, . Stop/go left to right, adjust in mid air or on the ground, spin and be aligned in their effort..

Rose
Wall
WB

6)Explosion
Here one moment and there the next. Seen much better if you seen a player live. Best measure is how the second and third defenders react.

WB
Wall
Rose

[7)jumping

Rose
WB
Wall

8)Dexterity

Wall
Rose
WB

9)Endurance

WB
Rose
Wall

10)Durability

WB
Wall
Rose

11)Quickness

Wall
Rose
WB

Did I do this right?

BuffaloBill
08-05-2015, 05:47 PM
That's prime rose I'm talking about btw

dontgetchoked
08-05-2015, 07:30 PM
That's prime rose I'm talking about btw

:cry: :cry:

BuffaloBill
08-05-2015, 07:43 PM
I'm not too sure about the size/strength argument with Wall and Westbrook anymore. Wall is a little bit bigger but Westbrook seems stronger to me. What's a better way to judge this? Is there any numbers from the combine we can use?

Pointguard
08-05-2015, 11:43 PM
1)Speed

Wall
Rose
WB

2)Strength/Size

WB
Wall
Rose

3)Agility

Rose
Wall
WB

4)coordination

Wall
Rose
WB

5)Balance

Rose
Wall
WB

6)Explosion

WB
Wall
Rose

[7)jumping

Rose
WB
Wall

8)Dexterity

Wall
Rose
WB

9)Endurance

WB
Rose
Wall

10)Durability

WB
Wall
Rose

11)Quickness

Wall
Rose
WB

Did I do this right?
I see your thinking in all you wrote and you did it right.

Pointguard
08-05-2015, 11:57 PM
I'm not too sure about the size/strength argument with Wall and Westbrook anymore. Wall is a little bit bigger but Westbrook seems stronger to me. What's a better way to judge this? Is there any numbers from the combine we can use?
Wall is noticably taller and is wider than Westbrook or Rose. Rose is bigger than either of them overall.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lps1l2ob6Y1qztyklo1_500.jpg

Rose and Westbrook seem to be Ox strong - stronger than their size. Rose guarded prime Wade as good as I seen anybody guard him And Wade even bullies shooting guards - something he couldn't do with Rose. Rose gets hits and bumped and rarely loses control. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-S3J-VZW1A

PP34Deuce
08-06-2015, 10:56 AM
Without doing all the qualifiers, I look at it like this...

In a 100 meter dash, John Wall is faster than both Rose and Westbrook
In short area quickness, Rose is quicker than both guys
In strength, I'd say Rose is stronger than both guys.

RidonKs
08-06-2015, 11:07 AM
i swear i tried to do these with qualified justifications for each category last night TWICE and couldn't get half way through. these three are too close. some are easy, endurance and jumping and explosion (westbrook) durability quickness (wall) strength (rose). but most of the others are really difficult.. end to end speed i could not tell you. coordination seems like russ but then he's not so good at adjustments in the air. dexterity and agility and balance....? those are all very hard to say. i know rose is not so dexterous or agile, though his balance is even more impressive for his surgeries.

ShawkFactory
08-06-2015, 11:21 AM
Narrowing it down:

Westbrook- Endurance/jumping/explosion
Rose- Quickness/agility
Wall- speed/coordination/balance

RidonKs
08-06-2015, 11:24 AM
Rose- Quickness/agility
bro rose is not quick and agile anymore... he's got some explosive hops and roadrunner speed end to end, but he can't break down his man or split defenders or any of that stuff anymore. unless he comes back this year better than ever which is possible but we haven't seen it yet post surg

ShawkFactory
08-06-2015, 11:27 AM
bro rose is not quick and agile anymore... he's got some explosive hops and roadrunner speed end to end, but he can't break down his man or split defenders or any of that stuff anymore. unless he comes back this year better than ever which is possible but we haven't seen it yet post surg
I was just talking prime rose

RidonKs
08-06-2015, 11:40 AM
I was just talking prime rose
ah shit well that just makes it a million times harder :lol

Pointguard
08-06-2015, 11:59 AM
Narrowing it down:

Westbrook- Endurance/jumping/explosion
Rose- Quickness/agility
Wall- speed/coordination/balance
Good list. And yes we are talking prime here.

Balance I give to Rose because he can stop/go, shift his weight in mid air or the ground, is the best at doing spontaneous reverse layups, his air acrobatics are a level above the other two. His spin move is more dynamic and he can absorb contact in the air and gather himself.

ShawkFactory
08-06-2015, 12:05 PM
Good list. And yes we are talking prime here.

Balance I give to Rose because he can stop/go, shift his weight in mid air or the ground, is the best at doing spontaneous reverse layups, his air acrobatics are a level above the other two. His spin move is more dynamic and he can absorb contact in the air and gather himself.
I can take that.

I think Wall is definitely the savviest athlete while Westbrook is the most freakish. Rose is the in-between for me.

Pointguard
08-06-2015, 01:02 PM
I can take that.

I think Wall is definitely the savviest athlete while Westbrook is the most freakish. Rose is the in-between for me.

I'm glad Wall is getting some attention as he's up there with them. Rose is the most complete to me. He's top two in every category except durability and uses the whole mix more than the other two.

nathanjizzle
08-06-2015, 01:12 PM
1)Speed
top speed with the ball, john wall, by a hair. rose 2nd, brook 3rd by 2 hairs.

2)Strength/Size

Rose/westbrook tie, wall 3rd.

3)Agility
rose, wall, brook.

4)coordination
rose, wall, brook.

5)Balance
rose, brook, wall.

6)Explosion
westbrook, rose, wall

[7)jumping

westbrook, rose, wall

8)Dexterity

Rose, westbrook, wall.

9)Endurance

westbrook, rose wall

10)Durability
westbrook, wall, rose

Comments:
11)Quickness
rose, wall, westbrook

Pointguard
08-06-2015, 03:50 PM
Nate I have very little deviation from your list: I have Wall ahead of Westbrook in Dexterity. Wall can run full speed left handed coast to coast and dunk it on somebody without the right hand ever touching the ball.

Pointguard
08-07-2015, 01:16 PM
In general the best athlete in the world is the decathlete. Not the 100 meter winner. Mudiay is coming on the scene and he's a big, fast, agile and can jump. I don't see Westbrook as being this run away best athletic PG ever or even better all around than Rose of a few years back.

SamuraiSWISH
08-08-2015, 01:17 AM
Pre Injury D-Rose?

Full Court Speed:
3x way tie

Overall Strength:
1) D-Rose
2) Westbrook
3) Wall

Agility:
1) D-Rose
2) Wall
3) Westbrook

Coordination:
1) D-Rose
2) Wall
3) Westbrook

Balance:
1) D-Rose
2) Wall
3) Westbrook

First Step:
1) D-Rose
2) Wall
3) Westbrook

Explosion to Basket:
1) Westbrook
2) D-Rose
3) Wall

Overall Jumping:
1) D-Rose
2) Westbrook
3) Wall

Body Dexterity:
1) D-Rose
2) Wall
3) Westbrook

Endurance:
1) Westbrook
2) D-Rose
3) Wall

Durability:
1) Westbrook
2) D-Rose
3) Wall

Overall Quickness:
1) D-Rose
2) Wall
3) Westbrook

People are so short sighted. Before his two catastrophic knee injuries, Derrick was definitely the best overall athlete of the three players mentioned. Not to say the other two aren't great or impressive.

theaussieguy
08-08-2015, 02:20 AM
All I am going to say is that prime rose is definitely the fastest, with and without the ball, is the best at changing directions and therefore the most agile, and without a doubt had the best vertical (40 inch plus) and therefore the most explosive.

All great athletes, but Rose was part of that freak once in a generation category before he got injured.

Pointguard
08-08-2015, 02:52 AM
Pre Injury D-Rose?

Full Court Speed:
3x way tie

Overall Strength:
1) D-Rose
2) Westbrook
3) Wall

Agility:
1) D-Rose
2) Wall
3) Westbrook

Coordination:
1) D-Rose
2) Wall
3) Westbrook

Balance:
1) D-Rose
2) Wall
3) Westbrook

First Step:
1) D-Rose
2) Wall
3) Westbrook

Explosion to Basket:
1) Westbrook
2) D-Rose
3) Wall

Overall Jumping:
1) D-Rose
2) Westbrook
3) Wall

Body Dexterity:
1) D-Rose
2) Wall
3) Westbrook

Endurance:
1) Westbrook
2) D-Rose
3) Wall

Durability:
1) Westbrook
2) D-Rose
3) Wall

Overall Quickness:
1) D-Rose
2) Wall
3) Westbrook

People are so short sighted. Before his two catastrophic knee injuries, Derrick was definitely the best overall athlete of the three players mentioned. Not to say the other two aren't great or impressive.
Thanks for contributing Sam (Thanks to all who have contributed).

I see you added first step! Cool. Somebody told me Westbrook wins out because he uses his explosion more than Rose and Wall use their athleticism. I said then AI is the best athlete of them all because he stayed in quickness mode and lead the league in scoring for four years. I think people use words and don't really know what they mean.

ralph_i_el
08-08-2015, 11:39 AM
I know it isn't really represented in this series of comparisons, but Wall is the most ambidextrous

Pointguard
08-08-2015, 12:40 PM
I know it isn't really represented in this series of comparisons, but Wall is the most ambidextrous
See post 18 above. I'm pretty sure he was born left handed.