PDA

View Full Version : Westbrook similar class physical specimen like Big-O or Magic?

CavaliersFTW
08-05-2015, 06:49 PM
Westbrook is a 6 foot 2.25" freak athlete. 187 to probably 205+ pounds. One of the fastest, quickest players in the league, strong for his size and a great leaper. Also has a decent armspan of 6 foot 7.75"

But Magic was 6 foot 7.5" and Oscar Robertson was 6 foot 4.75" and both of them were 220+ basically the size of a power forward and a strong small forward and not many players of any era save for each other could effectively match up to their strength and size at the 1 spot.

Westbrook doesn't have the size but does his athleticism put him in their tier as far as physical specimens that played almost exclusively the point guard position?

Real Men Wear Green
08-05-2015, 06:55 PM
Was Magic an amazing "specimen?" He was the biggest pg anyone had ever seen but it was more like seeing a forward with court vision and handles than someone physically amazing. Pip for example was almost as big but blew him away in the athletic department and there have been a number of players for whom that would also be true. Magic is more a case of a big guy with a skill set no one else his size had.

warriorfan
08-05-2015, 06:58 PM
Westbrook is a 6 foot 2.25" freak athlete. 187 to probably 205+ pounds. One of the fastest, quickest players in the league, strong for his size and a great leaper. Also has a decent armspan of 6 foot 7.75"

But Magic was 6 foot 7.5" and Oscar Robertson was 6 foot 4.75" and both of them were 220+ basically the size of a power forward and a strong small forward and not many players of any era save for each other could effectively match up to their strength and size at the 1 spot.

Westbrook doesn't have the size but does his athleticism put him in their tier as far as physical specimens that played almost exclusively the point guard position?

WHy do you shrink every athlete down besides Wilt? :wtf:

CavaliersFTW
08-05-2015, 06:59 PM
Was Magic an amazing "specimen?" He was the biggest pg anyone had ever seen but it was more like seeing a forward with court vision and handles than someone physically amazing. Pip for example was almost as big but blew him away in the athletic department and there have been a number of players for whom that would also be true. Magic is more a case of a big guy with a skill set no one else his size had.
As a player that played almost exclusively point guard, yes I believe so. Let's take players that played at least more than half of their careers as point guards. So, excluding guys like Jerry West who played only 1/4 or so at that spot or LeBron who played only a season at that spot.

Magic and Oscar are predominantly known as point guards. They could and did play other positions extremely proficiently due to their versatility as many players do over the course of their careers, but they were mostly point guards. I think to be Magic's size or Oscar's size and to have the dexterity and timing necessary to play point guard the majority of their careers at the level they played it at makes them dominant physical specimens for that position, yes. Do you disagree?

Jameerthefear
08-05-2015, 07:00 PM
because he's a biased moron?

CavaliersFTW
08-05-2015, 07:02 PM
I state the without shoes heights I've learned of all athletes, I don't shrink anyone.

warriorfan
08-05-2015, 07:05 PM
I state the without shoes heights I've learned of all athletes, I don't shrink anyone.

Literally every single player you have ever listed you adjust their height down from the common consensus of their height, EXCEPT for Wilt which you adjust upwards....It's truly insane behavior.

CavaliersFTW
08-05-2015, 07:06 PM
Literally every single player you have ever listed you adjust their height down from the common consensus of their height, EXCEPT for Wilt which you adjust upwards....It's truly insane behavior.
No, when discussing player physical data I mention players by their without shoes height. Including Wilt. Stop talking about other players doofus, this is a thread about Oscar, Magic, and Westbrook. Got any opinion on the actual thread topic?

warriorfan
08-05-2015, 07:07 PM
No, every single player I discuss I list their without shoes height. Including Wilt. Stop talking about other players doofus, this is a thread about Oscar, Magic, and Westbrook.

Don't have to lie to kick it. We are onto your shenanigans.

CavaliersFTW
08-05-2015, 07:08 PM
Got any opinion on the actual thread topic?

ClipperRevival
08-05-2015, 07:23 PM

Odd comparison.

Marchesk
08-05-2015, 07:30 PM

http://s22.postimg.org/x4ri3de0x/Wilt_MJ_Dwight_Scale.jpg

Marchesk
08-05-2015, 07:35 PM
Google knows:

http://s10.postimg.org/3ywn0u995/Westbrook_height.png

http://s22.postimg.org/782f4hzr5/Oscar_heigh.png

http://s3.amazonaws.com/rapgenius/1340893483_ether-e1296908676217.gif

warriorfan
08-05-2015, 07:38 PM
Google knows:

http://s10.postimg.org/3ywn0u995/Westbrook_height.png

http://s22.postimg.org/782f4hzr5/Oscar_heigh.png

http://s3.amazonaws.com/rapgenius/1340893483_ether-e1296908676217.gif

You are ethering the OP right? Because the statistics he posted aren't matching up to those...

CavaliersFTW
08-05-2015, 07:49 PM
You are ethering the OP right? Because the statistics he posted aren't matching up to those...

Westbrook, height without shoes 6-2.25":
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Russell-Westbrook-5062/

Oscar Robertson height without shoes 6-4.75":
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-15eX_e7Rxr4/UdXbnYp0dZI/AAAAAAAAEdE/-_o7sHUc61g/s640-Ic42/oscar%252520height%252520wo%252520shoes2.jpg

Magic was measured to be 6 foot 7.5" without shoes during the 1992 Olympics.

I only compared their without shoes heights because their, and other players list heights aren't all created equally. (IE, Magic gets a 1.5" boost for his list height, but Oscar only a 0.25" and Westbrook only a 0.75"). If barefoot height is known in such a situation it makes for a better comparison of the players physically. If you disagree, please explain why.

warriorfan
08-05-2015, 08:22 PM
Westbrook, height without shoes 6-2.25":
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Russell-Westbrook-5062/

Oscar Robertson height without shoes 6-4.75":
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-15eX_e7Rxr4/UdXbnYp0dZI/AAAAAAAAEdE/-_o7sHUc61g/s640-Ic42/oscar%252520height%252520wo%252520shoes2.jpg

Magic was measured to be 6 foot 7.5" without shoes during the 1992 Olympics.

I only compared their without shoes heights because their, and other players list heights aren't all created equally. (IE, Magic gets a 1.5" boost for his list height, but Oscar only a 0.25" and Westbrook only a 0.75"). If barefoot height is known in such a situation it makes for a better comparison of the players physically. If you disagree, please explain why.

Can you reproduce a picture like that of Wilt?

Rocketswin2013
08-05-2015, 11:50 PM
I'm sure Kyle Lowry couldn't matchup with Trevor Ariza's size and strength, along with many other point guards. Who thinks of him as a physical specimen?

Westbrook is a ****ing monster and clearly superior to Johnson as an athlete.

Robertson?
No idea at all and I probably won't be doing research on him anytime soon.

Edit: Ok second thought Lowry is one of the stronger PG's, if not the strongest PG in the league. Bad example. He could probably handle Johnson himself in the post. My point still stands.

Pointguard
08-06-2015, 12:17 AM

Athleticism is not really comparable to physical specimen. It seems like you changed your mind on the topic midway thru while creating the post.

Its like saying MJ athleticism is the Manute Bol of length or Shaq of physical presence.

CavaliersFTW
08-06-2015, 12:30 AM
Athleticism is not really comparable to physical specimen. It seems like you changed your mind on the topic midway thru while creating the post.

Its like saying MJ athleticism is the Manute Bol of length or Shaq of physical presence.
You must be misunderstanding, I didn't change my mind at anything, I'm just asking for opinions.

I think athleticism in the form of things such as speed, leaping ability and agility contributes to making one a great physical specimen as does size and strength.

Magic and Big O had good agility combined with much greater size and strength than is historically typical that made them unrivaled physical specimens at the point guard position. Though neither were spectacular leapers (though big-O was not a bad leaper) or noteably fast sprinters relative to other guards as someone such as Westbrook is. They've of course got a lot of size and probably strength on Westbrook. But does Westbrooks other athletic traits that they lack make up for it? That's where I'm looking for the opinions from others. I'm on the fence about it. People seem to treat Westbrook as if he's one of the most athletic point guards ever. Which he probably is. Does that put him in the same rarified category as a Magic or Big-O? Who were noted for being so big and strong and thus physically dominant as far point guards go.

SyRyanYang
08-06-2015, 12:42 AM
Op you need to stop sucking dead man's dick. It's getting creepy.
Oh also imperial sucks

Westbrook is a 6 foot 2.25" freak athlete.

CavaliersFTW
08-06-2015, 12:48 AM
Op you need to stop sucking dead man's dick. It's getting creepy.
Oh also imperial sucks
While I'm always going to be known as the Wilt guy for running a YouTube channel in his namesake, you and Warriorfan are the only two that have brought him up or alluded to him in this thread which has absolutely nothing to do with him. People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

Also, are you not from the U.S.? *EDIT* Ah, I see New Zealand

http://folksong.org.nz/wottenwood_weta/giantweta.jpg

bizil
08-06-2015, 02:20 AM

I think Westbrook is the most freakish athlete to ever play the PG position. I'm not sure of David Thompson's exact height, but Westbrook is like a David Thompson with PG skills. Freakish athletes in that 6'3 range who are supreme alpha dogs.

But no doubt guys like Magic, Big O, and Westbrook are very unique in their own ways at the PG position. Magic and Big O due to their size and the way they used it. Westbrook's size isn't exceptional at PG. But his athletic ability FOR ANY POSITION is cream of the crop.

Pointguard
08-06-2015, 11:40 AM
You must be misunderstanding, I didn't change my mind at anything, I'm just asking for opinions.

I think athleticism in the form of things such as speed, leaping ability and agility contributes to making one a great physical specimen as does size and strength.

Magic and Big O had good agility combined with much greater size and strength than is historically typical that made them unrivaled physical specimens at the point guard position. Though neither were spectacular leapers (though big-O was not a bad leaper) or noteably fast sprinters relative to other guards as someone such as Westbrook is. They've of course got a lot of size and probably strength on Westbrook. But does Westbrooks other athletic traits that they lack make up for it? That's where I'm looking for the opinions from others. I'm on the fence about it. People seem to treat Westbrook as if he's one of the most athletic point guards ever. Which he probably is. Does that put him in the same rarified category as a Magic or Big-O? Who were noted for being so big and strong and thus physically dominant as far point guards go.
Three things make it a hard comparison.

1 Magic and Oscar were considered among the smartest ballers ever.
2.Magic and Oscar were also among the most complete players ever. It would be different if Westbrook was a standout in those qualities but he isn't, which isn't a slight on him at all. Those two guys were just great.
3.Magic and Oscar's physical advantages are scientific and easily visible, Westbrook isn't easily the most athletic PG playing right now.

You are a film guy and I can definitely show you quicker, faster, stronger, more agile, higher jumpers among active point guards. David Thompson and Rose are definitely in the conversation of being just as explosive in their peaks. At the very least it isn't as obvious as the physical attributes of O and Magic.

3ball
08-06-2015, 11:50 AM
people massive underrate magic's ballhandling ability - they don't understand what a PHENOMENAL ballhandler he was.. it's overlooked and people don't realize how amazing that part of his game was.. Isiah Thomas and Chris Paul don't do many of the things Magic did with the ball.

there's never been a player his size that could handle anywhere NEAR as good as he did.. and there's never been a better passer EVER... to pass like that at 6'9" makes him a physical specimen.

he was literally a 6'9" steve nash, john stockton, or jason kidd - that IS a physical specimen and we've never seen a player like that before and probably never will again.

bizil
08-06-2015, 04:05 PM
Three things make it a hard comparison.

1 Magic and Oscar were considered among the smartest ballers ever.
2.Magic and Oscar were also among the most complete players ever. It would be different if Westbrook was a standout in those qualities but he isn't, which isn't a slight on him at all. Those two guys were just great.
3.Magic and Oscar's physical advantages are scientific and easily visible, Westbrook isn't easily the most athletic PG playing right now.

You are a film guy and I can definitely show you quicker, faster, stronger, more agile, higher jumpers among active point guards. David Thompson and Rose are definitely in the conversation of being just as explosive in their peaks. At the very least it isn't as obvious as the physical attributes of O and Magic.

Well said! When it comes to PG's historically, Magic and Oscar are in class by themselves in terms of versatility. Their passing vision, leadership, and IQ DICATED them being PG's. It wasn't a gimmick at all. I truly feel both of those guys were born to play PG.

In the case of Magic, he played with a legit natural SG in B Scott. And a legit natural SF in Worthy. Just from that alone, that makes the defense have to make a decision. Do u guard Magic with a PG? Or do u put a SG or SF on him. Somewhere in the equation, size mismatches will occur.

Even though Big O was shorter, I'm sure similar things happened as well. As great as Westbrook is, he DOESN'T distort the game that way Magic and Big O did. In today's game, if u put Lebron at PG FULL TIME (not at his normal SF-point forward spot), he could do the same thing.