PDA

View Full Version : Greater alltime Dirk or Wilt?

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
08-07-2015, 04:46 AM
Ill take Dirk handily. Most clutch player of his era and WAY better in the playoffs. Dirk is top 10 dead or alive in the postseason. Wilt was a better defender obviously but his O was overrated and got exposed for what it was. Give me the mentally strong, supremely skilled and the GOAT shooter. Hes the GOAT shooter AND a power forward. No one has spaced the floor like him offball giving his teammates easy opportunities at rim or wide open jumpers. His impact TRANSCENDS the boxscore while Wilts did not and its why his teams consistently underperformed until he got lucky with Hannum. Wilt also had MUCH superior teammates.........He played with some of the greatest. Dirk just had Nash who wasnt that great, still a very good lil white player on offense tho. Outside of that he was carryin mediocre players like Jason Terry and Josh Howard to 67 win seasons and won a title with arguably the least talented roster ever who died when he was on the bench. Wilt played with 3 of the top 5 perimeter players of his era including the best in Jerry West. Baylor and Greer too? In addition to Arizin, Goodrich, Cunningham, Chet Walker, Tom Gola, Thurmond (who is the greatest man defender alltime among bigs and routinely shut down nikkas like KAJ and Wilt). Jesus................He also had terrible coaches like Nellie and Avery before Carlisle and Carlisle just hit a ceiling when Dirk was at his peak and destroying everyone. who stepped up in the playoffs and has as near a flawless playoff resume as any non Jordan player. Just 2 bad series out of like 30 in his prime:applause: :applause:

Uncle Drew
08-07-2015, 05:02 AM
didn't read

3ball
08-07-2015, 05:13 AM
didn't read
ditto.. and i never say that

RRR3
08-07-2015, 06:44 AM
OP trying to challenge Pickernroller, real14 and 9erempiree for dumbest poster on ISH I see

Quickening
08-07-2015, 06:50 AM
http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/1d/1df14c3a9e65555bbc10cfd61ca01212fcd5816628c9ae2b64 77ffa0ba135c13.jpg

aquaadverse
08-07-2015, 06:51 AM
Learn English Mark Cuban.

SugarHill
08-07-2015, 07:19 AM
lmao

aj1987
08-07-2015, 07:22 AM
Inb4 AW and DMAVS vs Laz and CavsFTW. :oldlol:

I'm not a big Wilt fan, but the at WORST is top 7/8. Dirk at BEST is ~17.

Dragonyeuw
08-07-2015, 07:33 AM

I honestly think you can argue him as high as 15th, taking into account longevity, regular and playoff career performance, individual and team accolades. I think one thing that isn't often said is that the Mavs have been a playoff team/contender for 15 years, even with multiple roster changeovers. That to me speaks volume about Dirk being the franchise pillar all that time.

Though really, rankings are entirely subjective.

aj1987
08-07-2015, 07:46 AM
I honestly think you can argue him as high as 15th, taking into account longevity, regular and playoff career performance, individual and team accolades. I think one thing that isn't often said is that the Mavs have been a playoff team/contender for 15 years, even with multiple roster changeovers. That to me speaks volume about Dirk being the franchise pillar all that time.

Though really, rankings are entirely subjective.
His individual accolades are the only reason why I don't have him in my top 15. Another ring, even without an FMVP, he might end up at 15. He has 1 ring, 1 FMVP, and 1 MVP. No All-D selections and only 12 All-NBA selections when he has been in the league for 17 years. Also, only 2 Finals appearances in 17 years.

MJ
KAJ
Shaq
Russell
Magic
Duncan
Wilt
Bird
Kobe
LeBron
Hakeem
Moses
Dr. J
West
Oscar
Barkley
Malone
Dirk
Wade
Pippen

That's my top 20.

StephHamann
08-07-2015, 07:53 AM
Dirk and it's not even close

AirFederer
08-07-2015, 07:57 AM
Something like this. And i know I have some bias. :cheers:

MJ
KAJ
Magic
Duncan
Shaq
Russell
Bird
LeBron
Hakeem
Kobe
Wade
Dirk
Dr. J
West
Wilt
Pippen
Moses
Oscar
Barkley
Malone

aj1987
08-07-2015, 08:00 AM
Something like this. And i know I have some bias. :cheers:

MJ
KAJ
Magic
Duncan
Shaq
Russell
Bird
LeBron
Hakeem
Kobe
Wade
Dirk
Dr. J
West
Wilt
Pippen
Moses
Oscar
Barkley
Malone
Good list.

:cheers:

TheBigVeto
08-07-2015, 08:00 AM
Wilt. Granted Dirk's only championship ring was the most difficult one to get in the past 20 years and he's the 2nd GOAT PF but Wilt ****ing destroyed mountain lion like it was a small kitten.

Dragonyeuw
08-07-2015, 08:08 AM
His individual accolades are the only reason why I don't have him in my top 15. Another ring, even without an FMVP, he might end up at 15. He has 1 ring, 1 FMVP, and 1 MVP. No All-D selections and only 12 All-NBA selections when he has been in the league for 17 years. Also, only 2 Finals appearances in 17 years.

MJ
KAJ
Shaq
Russell
Magic
Duncan
Wilt
Bird
Kobe
LeBron
Hakeem
Moses
Dr. J
West
Oscar
Barkley
Malone
Dirk
Wade
Pippen

That's my top 20.

Barkley has no rings, no finals MVPs, and 11 ALL NBA, zero defensive selections. By your own criteria of measuring accolades, why is he ranked above Dirk? I'm not arguing whether he should or shouldn't, I'm just using your own standards here. Even with someone like Karl Malone, these guys kind of split hairs when it comes to accolades. Dirk's single ring and FMVP in 2011, given that his roster was basically veteran role players, IMO carries significant weight especially considering the team he was playing, and the west wasn't a cakewalk by any stretch. Why is Dr. J several places above Dirk? How much weight are we giving his ABA accolades?

pastis
08-07-2015, 08:17 AM

MJ
KAJ
Shaq
Russell
Magic
Duncan
Wilt
Bird
Kobe
LeBron
Hakeem
Moses
Dr. J
West
Oscar
Barkley
Malone
Dirk
Wade
Pippen

That's my top 20.

Right now Dirk has still 4 all nba selectins more than wade and an MVP more, he is one of the greatest playoff performer, yet you still have wade just one place behind dirk? Dirks 2006 season is at least as good as 2009 wade.

and as you mentioned dirks all-nba seasons. dirk made all nba team from 2001-2012, although Dirk clearly had an all-nba season 2013-2014. dirk slowly entered his prime 2005 and it ended in 2012.

further more dirk had to compete for an Forward spot for an first all nba team against garnett, duncan, lebron and durant. all of them between top 10-25 all time. Later with guys like Griffing. wades only real "enemy" for an all first team selection for an G spot was kobe bryant. all other concurrents for an all-nba first team are not all time top 25 greats.

so if you are spkeaing about all-nba selections, you have to distinguish between positions and competitors.

my all time list:

1. Michael Jordan
2. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
3. SHaq
4. Bird
5. Lebron James
6. Duncan
7. Magic
8. Bill
9. Hakeem
10. Kobe
11. Oscar (tough he isnt any better than dirk)
12 Dirk Nowitzki
13. Wilt
14. West
15. Malone
16. Garnett
17. Barkley
18. Moses
19. Erving
20. Robinson

I have wade right now outside my top 20. if he will have 3-4 more good years it will be another case

StephHamann
08-07-2015, 08:32 AM
Top 5 mountain lion tamers alltime:

1. Steve Irwin
2. Bear Grylls
3. Kim Wolhuter
4. Wilt Chamberlain
5. Martin Lacey, Jr.

aj1987
08-07-2015, 08:34 AM
Right now Dirk has still 4 all nba selectins more than wade and an MVP more, he is one of the greatest playoff performer, yet you still have wade just one place behind dirk? Dirks 2006 season is at least as good as 2009 wade.
Wade has 2 rings more than Dirk and 3 All-Def selections (although he did deserve more). Besides, who would you bump down to rank Dirk higher?

further more dirk had to compete for an Forward spot for an first all nba team against garnett, duncan, lebron and durant. all of them between top 10-25 all time. Later with guys like Griffing. wades only real "enemy" for an all first team selection for an G spot was kobe bryant. all other concurrents for an all-nba first team are not all time top 25 greats.
From 7-14, Duncan played as a C. Durant came into the League long after Dirk. If we're doing that, Wade had to compete with Kobe, CP3, Nash, Kidd, T-Mac, WB, Harden, etc.. It's not like the guard position is WIDE open.

Also, why are you even comparing Wade and Dirk? :facepalm

my all time list:

1. Michael Jordan
2. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
3. SHaq
4. Bird
5. Lebron James
6. Duncan
7. Magic
8. Bill
9. Hakeem
10. Kobe
11. Oscar (tough he isnt any better than dirk)
12 Dirk Nowitzki
13. Wilt
14. West
15. Malone
16. Garnett
17. Barkley
18. Moses
19. Erving
20. Robinson

I have wade right now outside my top 20. if he will have 3-4 more good years it will be another case
Horrible list.

:roll: @ Wilt, West, Dr. J, Moses, etc being below Dirk
:roll: @ LeBron being #5
:roll: @ Ranking Robinson over Wade

senelcoolidge
08-07-2015, 08:41 AM
:facepalm this thread. This person has no business making a all time list if Wilt is below Dirk. The most dominant player ever who rules the record books is below Dirk.

pastis
08-07-2015, 09:01 AM
Wade has 2 rings more than Dirk and 3 All-Def selections (although he did deserve more). Besides, who would you bump down to rank Dirk higher?

From 7-14, Duncan played as a C. Durant came into the League long after Dirk. If we're doing that, Wade had to compete with Kobe, CP3, Nash, Kidd, T-Mac, WB, Harden, etc.. It's not like the guard position is WIDE open.

Also, why are you even comparing Wade and Dirk? :facepalm

Horrible list.

:roll: @ Wilt, West, Dr. J, Moses, etc being below Dirk
:roll: @ LeBron being #5
:roll: @ Ranking Robinson over Wade

Harden is playing on an elite level since 2-3 years. Mcgready flops since 07. kidd, nash arent all time top 25 greats and there are 2 G spots. where is the long time competition? water is wet. for kobe his real enemy for a first team g spot was wade. thats it. vice versa for wade

regarding Duncan. did duncan earned all his all-nba selections between 2007-2014 as a C? serious question, would wonder me. Durant entered in 2007 and was since 2009 elite. Dirk earned an all defensive selections 1-2 times in his career

aj1987
08-07-2015, 09:02 AM
Harden is playing on an elite level since 2-3 years. Mcgready flops since 07. kidd, nash arent all time top 25 greats and there are 2 G spots.

Duncan. did duncan earned all his all-nba selections between 2007-2014 as C? serious question would wonder me. Durant entered in 2007 and was since 2009 elite. Dirk earned an all defensive selections 1-2 times in his career
Exactly. None of them constantly were there throughout to take up all the roster spots.

Again, why are you comparing Dirk and Wade? I clearly have Dirk ABOVE Wade. :facepalm

ArbitraryWater
08-07-2015, 09:29 AM

how the hell do you imagine this to be true? :lol

This is your shitty random opinion.

as far as OP, its Wilt, easily. And im sure DMAVS agrees, you moron.

Hakeem would be the next closest outside pick for Dirk. Dirk over Kobe isnt much of an outside pick.

aj1987
08-07-2015, 09:40 AM
how the hell do you imagine this to be true? :lol

This is your shitty random opinion.

as far as OP, its Wilt, easily. And im sure DMAVS agrees, you moron.

Hakeem would be the next closest outside pick for Dirk. Dirk over Kobe isnt much of an outside pick.
You're saying another persons opinion is shitty... :roll:

MJ
KAJ
Shaq
Russell
Magic
Duncan
Wilt
Bird
Kobe
LeBron
Hakeem
Moses
Dr. J
West
Oscar
Barkley
Malone

Dirk has NO case over any of those players.

pastis
08-07-2015, 09:48 AM

MJ
KAJ
Shaq
Russell
Magic
Duncan
Wilt
Bird
Kobe
LeBron
Hakeem
Moses
Dr. J
West
Oscar
Barkley
Malone

Dirk has def a case over barkly, malone,west, oscar, dr.j and moses. Especially over malone, barkly moses and dr.j

aj1987
08-07-2015, 09:57 AM
Dirk has def a case over barkly, malone,west, oscar, dr.j and moses. Especially over malone, barkly moses and dr.j
Moses - 3x MVP, 1x Champ, 1x FMVP
Barkley and Malone - Would've won rings if it wasn't for MJ and they're both better individual players than Dirk
West - 1x Champ, 1x FMVP, better defender, made the Finals 9x, better scorer, and passer well
Oscar - 1x NBA Champ, 1x MVP, better, scorer, passer, and pound for pound a better rebounder
Dr. J - Are you ****ing kidding me? Dirk is not even on Dr. J's level.

Locked_Up_Tonight
08-07-2015, 09:58 AM
Wilt, easily.

Threads like this are a joke. Dirk is on a tier with guys like Barkley/Karl Malone/Garnett/Rick Barry/Havlicek/Cowens/etc.

Wilt is a cut above all of those guys......

Rocketswin2013
08-07-2015, 10:25 AM
Nowitzki is at around #12 - #14 for me. Chamberlain is #3 - #7 for me. I don't know exactly where I'd rank them arty this point but that's based on who I feel they're definitely better(and worse) than.

RRR3
08-07-2015, 11:03 AM

MJ
KAJ
Shaq
Russell
Magic
Duncan
Wilt
Bird
Kobe
LeBron
Hakeem
Moses
Dr. J
West
Oscar
Barkley
Malone

KG?
DRob?
Baylor?
Pettit?
Barry?

kshutts1
08-07-2015, 11:42 AM
These are the types of threads that should be locked, with the OP banned, honestly.

When people argue for Dirk over Malone, Barkley, etc, they tend to cite his title, MVP, and FMVP.

Wilt "the choker" (:facepalm ) has equal to, or more than, those three accomplishments than Dirk. And better stats.

This truly is one of those times when there is LITERALLY no rational way to rank Dirk higher than Wilt. The only thing Dirk has him beat in is shooting.

ArbitraryWater
08-07-2015, 11:54 AM

MJ
KAJ
Shaq
Russell
Magic
Duncan
Wilt
Bird
Kobe
LeBron
Hakeem
Moses
Dr. J
West
Oscar
Barkley
Malone

You were JUST called out on your hypocrisy ad ignored the post (first page)...

making a case over Barkley/Malone/Dr.J is already extremely easy since none of them ever led title teams... nor were they as good playoff performers, or had the transcending impact.

Moses/Oscar are better players, but again, should check out their playoff resumes, Dirk trumps both. Wont even go into detail for you.

aj1987
08-07-2015, 04:38 PM
You were JUST called out on your hypocrisy ad ignored the post (first page)...

making a case over Barkley/Malone/Dr.J is already extremely easy since none of them ever led title teams... nor were they as good playoff performers, or had the transcending impact.

Moses/Oscar are better players, but again, should check out their playoff resumes, Dirk trumps both. Wont even go into detail for you.
Please stop posting, kid. Seriously, stop. I know that you're like 17, but how do you not know that Dr. J won a ring in the NBA or that he led a title team? :facepalm

KG?
DRob?
Baylor?
Pettit?
Barry?

KG - Choker in the PO's. Dude would've had a legit resume if he wasn't a midrange chucker.
DRob - Great player and I actually like the guy, but he's not better than the others.
Baylor - Chucker and he's not having the same success in today's NBA.
Pettit - Same as above.
Barry - Meh, not better than the others

Sarcastic
08-07-2015, 05:36 PM
Dirk has absolutely zero case to be ahead of Wilt Chamberlain, and I am sure if you asked Dirk Nowitzki himself, he would say the same thing.

Pointguard
08-08-2015, 02:35 AM
Please stop posting, kid. Seriously, stop. I know that you're like 17, but how do you not know that Dr. J won a ring in the NBA or that he led a title team? :facepalm

KG - Choker in the PO's. Dude would've had a legit resume if he wasn't a midrange chucker.
DRob - Great player and I actually like the guy, but he's not better than the others.
Pettit - Same as above.

Barry, during Kareem physical age prime, was the best playoff performer. And had more success than Kareem despite playing on garbage teams where a very young Jamal Wilkes was the second best player. Was a much better finals performer than Dirk, he once averaged 41ppg and 9 rebs in the finals and 29 ppg while leading his team in assist and steals and nearly averaging 20 more ppg than the next player in each series. Won one series and got two games in the other. Averaged 27ppg in the playoffs for his career. Averaged 24ppg in the regular season.

On KG, he's one of a handful of players that lead his team in 4 of the five major categories while leading his team to the third round. Was one of the best defensive players ever. Averaged 25/16/5 in his three year prime in the playoffs while being the main setup man, the best rebounder in the league, the PER leader and a top defensive man that whole span. Was the best player in the league when three top 10 GOATS were in their prime. Played Duncan, who is top five GOAT, as even as two player can play even in the top five categories in both regular season during their prime and the playoffs. Had twice as many rebound titles than all the other great contemporary PF's together (Duncan, Malone, Barkley, Dirk). Made more all defensive teams than all of them added up together, haha, and was an all time great there. Only player with 25,000 pts, 14,000 rebounds, 5,000 asst and 2000 blocks.

Other words you really missed the boat.

Achilleas
08-08-2015, 07:26 AM
dirk is better player but because wilt played in weak era he will be the greater alltime than dirk
imagine dirk against 50s defense,40 points every season with 90 fts %

nathanjizzle
08-08-2015, 07:31 AM
Ill take Dirk handily. Most clutch player of his era and WAY better in the playoffs. Dirk is top 10 dead or alive in the postseason.

then why has he been eliminated in the first round 7 times already.

DMAVS41
08-08-2015, 10:25 AM

MJ
KAJ
Shaq
Russell
Magic
Duncan
Wilt
Bird
Kobe
LeBron
Hakeem
Moses
Dr. J
West
Oscar
Barkley
Malone

Wilt pretty clearly deserves to be ranked over Dirk all time. I don't see how anyone can dispute that unless they actually saw Wilt play and think it was era specific. I didn't see Wilt play, but everything I've seen and read leads me to believe he's a top 5 or so player of all time and on a different tier than Dirk.

As to your assertion that the above that Dirk has "NO" case over those guys. It depends on how you are ranking...as everyone has different standards...but;

Dirk absolutely can be argued as a better basketball player than some of those guys. And having a better career than some of those guys.

Just a silly assertion you can't back up.

SCdac
08-08-2015, 10:47 AM
Wilt is greater all time... next

Dirk vs. KG vs. Barkley vs. Malone is a better debate

greatest-ever
08-08-2015, 10:50 AM
This question belongs on realgm as they disrespectfully underrate Wilt and overrate Dirk.

lilteapot
08-08-2015, 10:51 AM
Both are great players and I love Dirk but come on OP, you big old retard.

ArbitraryWater
08-08-2015, 01:59 PM

Pettit - Same as above.

This kid thinks Dr.J led a title team in the NBA

LE MAO