PDA

View Full Version : Why do teams always call time out after a demoralizing dunk?

KungFuJoe
08-10-2015, 04:24 PM
See this all the time. Someone gets posterized...their coach calls time out. It's bad enough you just got facialized, but now you gotta really let it sink in as you walk to the huddle. And if you're the away team, you also get to see it over and over again on the big screen and hear the crowd roar each time.

I think it would be best to just let them keep playing...play it off like it's no big deal...maybe get some revenge on the other side of the court. Obviously, NBA coaching staffs think otherwise.

Haymaker
08-10-2015, 04:31 PM
Sure you know better than more than a hundred coaches.

Cocaine80s
08-10-2015, 04:40 PM
Same reason teams call timeout when the opponent gets hot

It's too stop their momentum

JimmyMcAdocious
08-10-2015, 04:45 PM
Always? When those dunks come during a run it's usually what causes the timeout. The dunk is the breaking point. It's a philosophy many coaches adopt, although some of the all time greats let the their players play through. That's a different question, tho, and personally I don't think timeouts work that well most of the time.

If it's just out of the blue, I don't think coaches typically call a timeout. Or I never noticed. There's is sometimes a stoppage but that's because there's a foul called on those plays a lot of the time.

ralph_i_el
08-10-2015, 04:46 PM
so they can get remoralized

but really, it looks to me like guys are more likely to do something reckless in response, outside of the game plan.

Pointguard
08-10-2015, 05:03 PM
The basketball Gods demand a dowry after great dunks and must act out crazy energy thru mascots.

That and coaches get like $30,000 from sponsor's for contributing to the cause. Thats why all teams keep a slow footed delayed jumping stiff on their team. Cha ching, Ka Ching!!!!

smoovegittar
08-10-2015, 05:27 PM
it's just theatre.

305Baller
08-10-2015, 05:57 PM
To regroup...also replays.

FKAri
08-10-2015, 06:27 PM
The theory is that it stops momentum. I think it's probably a good bet.

Rant:

Coaching in basketball works very differently than almost any other sport. Basketball at the NBA level probably demands the least technically from its coaches than any other major sport. I think there could be room for technical growth here but it would take a paradigm shift in how the game and its stars are viewed.

This lack of technical requirements opens up room for more psychological approaches to coaching. This can be highly beneficial but most coaches are not equipped with the skills to implement most of it. As long as a guy can be trusted by his players and has leadership qualities he's on par to be a head coach in the league. Coaching in the NBA is held back by being an old boys club, sometimes with archaic approaches. A great soccer or football coach >>>> NBA coach.

PP34Deuce
08-11-2015, 10:51 AM
I've seen after a huge Blake Griffin dunk, his teammates start playing high energy and loose.

Got to call the timeout to stop their adrenaline some.

RidonKs
08-11-2015, 10:56 AM
which players do you let play through?

against an above average team you beat the year before in the playoffs, you let your reserves play through the pain assuming you already have a 6pt lead when it starts and you aren't at risk of a double digit deficit

basically it depends on circumstances