PDA

View Full Version : Why is winning so overrated?

StephHamann
08-12-2015, 11:50 AM
Come on, 2/6 and 6/6. But Lebron is still way better than MJ.

SouBeachTalents
08-12-2015, 11:52 AM
Apparently making good threads is overrated too

97 bulls
08-12-2015, 11:53 AM
Winning is not overrated. It right up there with sex. Theres not very many feelings thats better than winning something

Lebronxrings
08-12-2015, 11:53 AM
people associate winning with one player rather than a team. MJ had much better teammates which is why hes 6/6.

97 bulls
08-12-2015, 11:57 AM
people associate winning with one player rather than a team. MJ had much better teammates which is why hes 6/6.
Well yes and no. Jordans Bulls have never lost as a favorite or with homecourt advantage. James teams have. More than once even

20Four
08-12-2015, 11:59 AM

:biggums: reported

Megabox!
08-12-2015, 12:11 PM
Well yes and no. Jordans Bulls have never lost as a favorite or with homecourt advantage. James teams have. More than once even
Besides the 2011 finals his teams were only really good in the regular season, that's why they had home-court advantage. Kinda like the Hawks this year

r15mohd
08-12-2015, 12:13 PM
Besides the 2011 finals his teams were only really good in the regular season, that's why they had home-court advantage. Kinda like the Hawks this year

was any of his team ever favorites other than this year? :confusedshrug:

Megabox!
08-12-2015, 12:21 PM
was any of his team ever favorites other than this year? :confusedshrug:
2011 Heat were favorites and I believe the 09' Cavs were favorites but the 09' Cavs weren't nearly as good enough to get over the hump. 2015 Cavs were no where the favorites, many ppl had them getting swept after Kyrie went down in game 1

choppermagic
08-12-2015, 12:24 PM
Wow, i cant believe this thread.

Basketball is a sport/game. The game has a defined purpose under its rules...the team with the most points at the end wins the game. Everything about the game is designed to allow the teams to compete to score more than the other team, if they are better.

Therefore the point of playing in a professional league is to win. Win games, win championships, otherwise the season is pointless.

Players are therefore providing their skill towards that single goal, to win championships. A great player can provide the most value in achieving that goal. Points, rebounds, assists are stats that supposed to represent factors in helping a team win. Stats such as how many sips of gatorade you drink or how long your shorts are do not directly contribute towards winning.

That is why players are measured a lot by winning. Because that is the entire point of playing professional games and a season.

r15mohd
08-12-2015, 12:32 PM
2011 Heat were favorites and I believe the 09' Cavs were favorites but the 09' Cavs weren't nearly as good enough to get over the hump. 2015 Cavs were no where the favorites, many ppl had them getting swept after Kyrie went down in game 1

not season favorites, this is so skewed as they are predictions from even before the season starts, and we've seen how detrimental that plays out with injuries and what not...going into the finals favorites would be more telling.

so basically only the 2011 finals were a James-led team favorites.

as for losing with homecourt, only the Mavs series too, i believe. 97Bulls - I dont believe you can count the same instance twice to indicate "more than once" :no:

Megabox!
08-12-2015, 12:41 PM
not season favorites, this is so skewed as they are predictions from even before the season starts, and we've seen how detrimental that plays out with injuries and what not...going into the finals favorites would be more telling.

so basically only the 2011 finals were a James-led team favorites.

as for losing with homecourt, only the Mavs series too, i believe. 97Bulls - I dont believe you can count the same instance twice to indicate "more than once" :no:
I get what you're saying, I was merely referencing the 09' Cavs as favorites in that Orlando series when they lost in 6

20Four
08-12-2015, 12:54 PM

http://i.imgur.com/zJBFcY0.gif

http://i.imgur.com/qEk7ZqN.gif

kennethgriffin
08-12-2015, 12:58 PM

wade is higher all time than pippen.. and bosh added ontop makes up for any off nights wade ever had

lebron should be at the very least 4 for 6

r15mohd
08-12-2015, 01:06 PM
wade is higher all time than pippen.. and bosh added ontop makes up for any off nights wade ever had

lebron should be at the very least 4 for 6

except more times than not, Bosh was absent during the Finals and same goes for Wade too.

nice try!

he should be at least 3/6 with the 2011 Mavs series tho

GrapeApe
08-12-2015, 02:28 PM
except more times than not, Bosh was absent during the Finals and same goes for Wade too.

nice try!

he should be at least 3/6 with the 2011 Mavs series tho

What? Wade had one bad finals. In the '11-'13 finals he averaged 24/6/5/2/1 on 48% and played good defense. I agree that Bosh was mostly disappointing though.

I don't think winning is overrated, but like anything else it requires context. I've never understood why so many people fail to grasp that concept.

Alamо
08-12-2015, 02:31 PM
Winning is overrated? :wtf:

Winning is the only thing that matters. It's the ultimate goal.

SpecialQue
08-12-2015, 02:42 PM
Agreed.

Your performance on literally the highest possible stage of the game should not factor into how a player is ranked.

ClipperRevival
08-12-2015, 03:25 PM
You play to win the game. Winning feels good, losing feels bad.

Jlamb47
08-12-2015, 03:47 PM
Mj > Lebron

Hes 6/6 for a reason

NZStreetBaller
08-12-2015, 04:28 PM
Because winning a game/series/championship is the very purpose stepping on the court in the first place...

If just stepping on the court and performing well and putting up good numbers was the purpose of the game then there wouldnt really be any point in passing the ball other then the assist stat (see lebron)

TheMarkMadsen
08-12-2015, 04:31 PM
fucc winning real ballers play for stats and then make excuses for not winning later

TheMarkMadsen
08-12-2015, 04:33 PM
What? Wade had one bad finals. In the '11-'13 finals he averaged 24/6/5/2/1 on 48% and played good defense. I agree that Bosh was mostly disappointing though.

I don't think winning is overrated, but like anything else it requires context. I've never understood why so many people fail to grasp that concept.

this has got to be the biggest myth on ISH, (that wade didn't play well in the finals with the the HEAT from 11-13)

he was great in both the 11 & 12 finals and stepped up his play big time in the 2013 finals..

24/6/5 in the finals for three straight years is an all time great level second option

although in 11 he was more of the go to guy, he and Bosh..

KNOW1EDGE
08-12-2015, 04:40 PM
Winning is not important in baskebtall.

What's important is earning a bunch of money and getting a lot of fans. Getting a signature shoe. Etc etc

FKAri
08-12-2015, 04:41 PM
Winning is overrated? :wtf:

Winning is the only thing that matters. It's the ultimate goal.

Not only is winning not the ultimate goal. It's not even the number 2 priority. If you throw in health, it's probably not even top 3.

The best players could all join one team and win championships but they want the glory and money more. Owners wouldn't mind going into the luxury to keep that one piece but no all too often a championship roster breaks apart because someone (a player or an owner) prioritized something else (more money or being the man on a lesser team).

I guess they care about winning just enough to make the games competitive so we fans can watch.

Spurs m8
08-12-2015, 05:16 PM
lmao at the people taking this thread seriously....