PDA

View Full Version : Straight Outta Compton movie discussion

coolhandsteve
08-16-2015, 03:23 PM
(SPOILER ALERT)
For those of you who've seen it, your thoughts on the movie?

Thought it was really good..one nitpick is I wish they would've gotten into the Dre-Eazy E beef more.

Rake2204
08-17-2015, 08:55 PM
Solid movie. I thought the first hour or so was pretty fun, bordering on really fun; it was interesting to see the origins of it all, watching the movement swell as they made their way through mid-80's dance clubs and roller rinks. The low-riders, Dre's regrettable wardrobe, the humble-but-not-so-humble grass roots movement... that was all great. I caught myself smiling at a lot of moments there (the booth scene for what would become the track Boyz-n-the-Hood).

That said, the second half of the movie really slowed down a bit. It held my interest because it was content for which I was familiar and cared about. As in, I knew vaguely of Suge Knight's seedy past but it was interesting to see it play out on screen, behind the scenes and whatnot.

But yeah, in a way, it kind of felt like they were going down a checklist through the second portion of the film, marking off each life event one by one, subsequently resulting in the portrayal of a lot of real life things (mainly everyone getting mad at one another) but it didn't feel wonderfully paced at that point... and that's coming from someone who doesn't usually tend to criticize things like pace.

I thought the actors did a pretty good job. Ice Cube's son performs well and in some scenes, he looks nearly identical. The actor playing Eazy-E was also pretty convincing, though the foreshadowing of his sickness felt kind of fake. Dre's character was solid with the exception of the scene following his brother's death.

Lastly, I was afraid of Paul Giamatti as Jerry Heller because he had a corny line in the trailer about bringing guns on the bus and I thought he was going to be token corny white guy. But he actually did pretty well, and that scene was cut anyway.

Shade8780
08-17-2015, 09:09 PM
SPOILER

Eazy E dies

SpecialQue
08-17-2015, 09:11 PM
(SPOILER ALERT)

How the fvck you gonna spoil a biopic? :biggums:

97 bulls
08-17-2015, 10:26 PM
Great movie

Bosnian Sajo
08-17-2015, 11:57 PM
SPOILER

Eazy E dies

How???

ThePhantomCreep
08-18-2015, 12:13 AM
Solid movie. I thought the first hour or so was pretty fun, bordering on really fun; it was interesting to see the origins of it all, watching the movement swell as they made their way through mid-80's dance clubs and roller rinks. The low-riders, Dre's regrettable wardrobe, the humble-but-not-so-humble grass roots movement... that was all great. I caught myself smiling at a lot of moments there (the booth scene for what would become the track Boyz-n-the-Hood).

That said, the second half of the movie really slowed down a bit. It held my interest because it was content for which I was familiar and cared about. As in, I knew vaguely of Suge Knight's seedy past but it was interesting to see it play out on screen, behind the scenes and whatnot.

But yeah, in a way, it kind of felt like they were going down a checklist through the second portion of the film, marking off each life event one by one, subsequently resulting in the portrayal of a lot of real life things (mainly everyone getting mad at one another) but it didn't feel wonderfully paced at that point... and that's coming from someone who doesn't usually tend to criticize things like pace.

I thought the actors did a pretty good job. Ice Cube's son performs well and in some scenes, he looks nearly identical. The actor playing Eazy-E was also pretty convincing, though the foreshadowing of his sickness felt kind of fake. Dre's character was solid with the exception of the scene following his brother's death.

Lastly, I was afraid of Paul Giamatti as Jerry Heller because he had a corny line in the trailer about bringing guns on the bus and I thought he was going to be token corny white guy. But he actually did pretty well, and that scene was cut anyway.

100% agreed, if felt like there was too much story in the second half and not enough time to tell it, so it all felt a bit rushed. The first half, culminating with the show at Joe Louis Arena and Ice Cube's exit from the group, was damn near flawless.

This is a rare instance where an extra 30 minutes would have improved the film. Still really good though, a solid A-. Solid performances all around, good direction, and killer music.

SugarHill
08-18-2015, 12:39 AM
The intro with Eazy was my favorite part of the movie and it was the best shot sequence and tense part of the film. The portrayal of Suge was great but Dre was made into an unbeliviable character without flaws. The look of Snoop was laughable tho. Who the hell trought that worked?

ekosky
08-18-2015, 12:45 AM
The intro with Eazy was my favorite part of the movie and it was the best shot sequence and tense part of the film. The portrayal of Suge was great but Dre was made into an unbeliviable character without flaws. The look of Snoop was laughable tho. Who the hell trought that worked?
Nipsey would've been the perfect Snoop

SugarHill
08-18-2015, 12:57 AM
Nipsey would've been the perfect Snoop
That's very true. Even Wiz would work better but Nipsey perfect becUse he could pull off the voice and accent. Man I could have been more convincing than the Murphy Lee lookin guy they had. Remember when he came on screen and I kept thinking who are these random guys wearing crip colors in Suge's studio smh. Some guy in the theatre yelled out "what?!" when he said his name was Snoop. At least he pulled off the voice and song so it wasn't all bad:

Bless Mathews
08-18-2015, 01:10 AM
Good movie.

Great parts.

Coulda been shorter.

I grew up right in all that shit. It did a good job making put me right back there.

Just too long. Middle kinda dragged.

Overall 8/10

Smook A.
08-18-2015, 01:59 AM
Loved it. Absolutely loved it, especially since im a guy who listens to 90s rap more than modern rap (which is garbage these days). The story was great, and the actors played their roles perfectly. I'd definitely recommend it, even if you aren't into NWA or old school rap in general.

ThePhantomCreep
08-18-2015, 05:50 AM
That's very true. Even Wiz would work better but Nipsey perfect becUse he could pull off the voice and accent. Man I could have been more convincing than the Murphy Lee lookin guy they had. Remember when he came on screen and I kept thinking who are these random guys wearing crip colors in Suge's studio smh. Some guy in the theatre yelled out "what?!" when he said his name was Snoop. At least he pulled off the voice and song so it wasn't all bad:

Snoop is only in this for a few scenes, and the performance was decent, that's all that matters. Looks aren't everything anyway--Jason Mitchell looks nothing like Eazy E yet it's never an issue. He gives arguably the best performance in the movie.

West-Side
08-18-2015, 09:41 AM
I am so excited to go see this movie with my girl tonight.
Bitch better not ask me questions; I'm going to be tuned in for the whole 3 hours. :rockon:

coolhandsteve
08-22-2015, 12:43 AM
One of the big things they left out though was the Dre/Eazy beef. I know the movie was 2 1/2 hours long anyway but still...I was looking forward to Dre Day & Real MF'n Gs. Their feud got pretty nasty.

AlphaWolf24
08-22-2015, 12:47 AM
Great Movie with amazing acting....cubes son surprised me...dudes got chops..

2nd half was a bit weaker....felt a little too on the nose....but still entertaining.

Overall awesome film about one of the most influential groups ever

the mesiah
08-22-2015, 04:21 PM
Was expecting a better movie being that i listened to them a lot before when they first came out , it's good-great movie if you are a casual/mainstream fan that doesn't know much about them.
http://watch32.is/movie/zGWbrgxP-str...a-compton.html

Godzuki
08-22-2015, 05:35 PM
i liked all of the actor portrayals other than the snoop guy who looked like some sucker.

i feel like they could've portrayed EZ fukkin a ton of bitches more, especially with his EZ access line for his pants being so low, i was thinking they definitely had that in the movie but they didn't. it would've set up the aids outcome better which sort of came out of nowhere.

i haven't read how much of it is true so i'm confused right now between what i remember and what i just watched. i know they hated EZ more than this movie portrayed it, or had issues with him where general opinion at one point was he sold them out.

and i really wonder how much of the Suge shit was true. just seemed unreal how Suge never got charges pressed on him for crazy shit he supposedly did. maybe they should've explained it better with Suge's relationship with the bloods.

really loved the soundtrack tho, Cubes shit made me want to buy his records all over again. he came out looking the best, then Dre, and the rest sort of looked like bitches :coleman:

Rake2204
08-22-2015, 10:25 PM
i liked all of the actor portrayals other than the snoop guy who looked like some sucker.

i feel like they could've portrayed EZ fukkin a ton of bitches more, especially with his EZ access line for his pants being so low, i was thinking they definitely had that in the movie but they didn't. it would've set up the aids outcome better which sort of came out of nowhere.

i haven't read how much of it is true so i'm confused right now between what i remember and what i just watched. i know they hated EZ more than this movie portrayed it, or had issues with him where general opinion at one point was he sold them out.

and i really wonder how much of the Suge shit was true. just seemed unreal how Suge never got charges pressed on him for crazy shit he supposedly did. maybe they should've explained it better with Suge's relationship with the bloods.

really loved the soundtrack tho, Cubes shit made me want to buy his records all over again. he came out looking the best, then Dre, and the rest sort of looked like bitches :coleman:I bet the Eazy-E AIDS thing was probably a little tricky to handle. Knowing his fate, I kind of felt they hit me over the head with it a little on the foreshadowing front. His coughs felt a little random and forced, and Jerry Heller had a line about slowing down on the sex stuff earlier.

I was a little surprised the Eazy-E beef wasn't delved into on a little deeper level, not even a hint of Dre Day. But then again, with Ice Cube and Dr. Dre largely behind this film, one can kind of see and understand how they might subtly glorify themselves a bit while sparing their fallen friend to some degree.

Lastly, I didn't know many specifics about Suge Knight's legal history, just that he always seemed caught up in something. I Wiki'd him, and there's a spot specifically for all his legal troubles. He was sentenced to nine years in prison in 1996 for a probation violation. He was released in 2001. The rap sheet is even more extensive since then - he's even been shot on a few times. And obviously, now he's facing those charges for running over and killing a dude on Straight Outta Compton's set: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suge_Knight

Vragrant
08-27-2015, 05:28 PM
Loved it. Having grown up in the NWA era, and following them and the beef that followed, having seen it on the bigscreen was a surreal experience.

The opening sequence of with Eazy was amazing, and put you straight into Compton. Might be my favourite scene, along with Eazy learning how to rhyme in the studio.

Lot of things I didnt know(Spoilers):

Eazy had a physical confrontation with Suge?:biggums: . Eazy has some serious balls on him

Dre originally brought in East coast rappers to rhyme on his beats.

Cube smashing up the execs office

Yella was a huge joker.

You can tell Cube was an exec producer for the movie because he pretty much played the whole song for No Vaseline:oldlol: . Its cool though. You can tell there was a different generation watching by the way they were reacting. You can tell some of the audience had never heard that track.

Cant wait to watch it again.

L.Kizzle
07-20-2016, 04:00 PM
Why the hell is Tupac even in this film? I don't care ifnit was for 2 minutes. He had nothing to do with. Or if you want him in the film put him in after Eazy dies not before.