PDA

View Full Version : Traffic deaths jump 14% in 2015

~primetime~
08-17-2015, 04:09 PM
http://money.cnn.com/2015/08/17/autos/traffic-fatalities-up-2015/index.html

Our phones are taking the credit here...

How do we keep people off phones while they drive? It would probably be easy for phone companies to shut phones off with the exception of 9-1-1 while the phone is moving at a certain rate of speed, but then passengers can't use their phones while someone is driving them.

This is a problem with no easy solution. I feel like we can start by upping the penalty for text-driving. Driving and texting should be seen as no different than drinking and driving, both are careless and put lives at risk.

Jailblazers7
08-17-2015, 04:12 PM

How do we keep people off phones while they drive? It would probably be easy for phone companies to shut phones off with the exception of 9-1-1 while the phone is moving at a certain rate of speed, but then passengers can't use their phones while someone is driving them.

This is a problem with no easy solution. I feel like we can start by upping the penalty for text-driving. Driving and texting should be seen as no different than drinking and driving, both are careless and put lives at risk.

Make a driver's smartphone the smartkey that has to be inserted into some slot before the car will start. That way their phone is literally confiscated by the car when they are driving.

Nanners
08-17-2015, 04:13 PM
self driving cars will be nice.

Dbrog
08-17-2015, 04:14 PM
Texting already illegal in some states. Also some states have now implemented a no cell phone use while driving law (unless it's hands free). Don't really know the stats since these changes though.

knickballer
08-17-2015, 04:15 PM

I guess it's the universes way of enforcing natural selection.. Don't want to sound like a dick but is that text all that interesting that you must look at it that instance instead of waiting 10minutes?!?

People are way too caught up with this social media/pop/celebrity culture(and I know this on the surface has no connection with texting while driving)

iamgine
08-17-2015, 04:16 PM
They could require both hands have to be on the steering wheel when moving above 30 miles per hour or else gets electrocuted. Car companies should be forced to install these new steering wheels in all cars. I guarantee traffic death caused by cell phones would drop to nearly 0.

iTare
08-17-2015, 04:25 PM
Bunch of ******* here. I text and drive like a mutha****a, sue me.

nathanjizzle
08-17-2015, 04:28 PM

well, that would mean the government would have to monitor and regulate phones via gps. but on the other hand, you have sheeples screaming "bahhhhhh bahhhhhhhh" about the nsa.

choose what you want. either the government regulates society, or they dont.

bdreason
08-17-2015, 04:29 PM
It's not just phones. People's attention spans in general are shorter than ever. I see people doing all types of crazy shit while driving... because apparently driving isn't enough to keep their minds occupied. I saw a guy eating a bowl of cereal while driving the other day.

Velocirap31
08-17-2015, 04:31 PM
Self-driving cars soon. Death rate will be zero.

Lensanity
08-17-2015, 04:31 PM
There is not and never will be a solution to this. Every suggestion in this thread is flat out asinine. Some problems just can't be fixed.

nathanjizzle
08-17-2015, 04:32 PM
Bunch of ******* here. I text and drive like a mutha****a, sue me.

if you are serious, then you are a donkey.

J Shuttlesworth
08-17-2015, 04:35 PM
Self driving cars will be awesome.

But people need to learn to use the voice texting on their phone. If you want to text someone, just click on the google bar and say "Text ______" and you can send a message without touching the screen. This method can read back texts to you too so you never have to look at the phone

Velocirap31
08-17-2015, 04:42 PM
They could require both hands have to be on the steering wheel when moving above 30 miles per hour or else gets electrocuted. Car companies should be forced to install these new steering wheels in all cars. I guarantee traffic death caused by cell phones would drop to nearly 0.

:lol Changing gears? Signalling turns? Changing the radio?

Cell phones can easily use their gps and accelerometers to determine when the owner is driving. They will initiate driving mode on their own disabling texting and phone calls (unless hands-free communication is established). Problem solved. It's much easier to change new cell phone software than all vehicles.

Tarik One
08-17-2015, 04:58 PM
99.5% of those negligent texters females...

CavaliersFTW
08-17-2015, 05:05 PM
Traffic deaths caused by electrocution however would skyrocket. You solved one problem but created another, probably more prolific one. What are you gonna do when you're on the highway alone, and need to scratch your nose...

Tarik One
08-17-2015, 05:09 PM
Traffic deaths caused by electrocution however would skyrocket. You solved one problem but created another, probably more prolific one. What are you gonna do when you're on the highway alone, and need to scratch your nose...
And the aftermath of the electrocution itself. Imagine the car swerving all over the place uncontrollably...

Lensanity
08-17-2015, 05:09 PM
:lol Changing gears? Signalling turns? Changing the radio?

Cell phones can easily use their gps and accelerometers to determine when the owner is driving. They will initiate driving mode on their own disabling texting and phone calls (unless hands-free communication is established). Problem solved. It's much easier to change new cell phone software than all vehicles.
So any passengers in a moving car can't use their phones. ****ing brilliant.

Lensanity
08-17-2015, 05:14 PM

This is the dumbest ****ing thing I have ever read on the Internet in my entire ****ing life. Are you actually this big of a ****ing dipshit?

Velocirap31
08-17-2015, 05:17 PM
So any passengers in a moving car can't use their phones. ****ing brilliant.

How about if it could be disabled with a method too consuming for a driver to bother attempting?

~primetime~
08-17-2015, 05:27 PM
How about if it could be disabled with a method too consuming for a driver to bother attempting?

I've heard this theory before...IDK

So using the phone while it is going 30+ mph would require some kind of time consuming requirement. Something a passenger would willingly do but it is too involved for the driver.

I'd be worried some drivers would still try thus upping the deaths :/

~primetime~
08-17-2015, 05:30 PM
They could shut just texting off for everyone while moving...if you're a passenger it's just tough shit, just make the call.

We got along fine without texting before...it can wait. If there is an emergency then just call.

sundizz
08-17-2015, 05:31 PM
There really needs to be something done about this. I'm so tired of people looking at their phones merging into my lane, etc. It's unbelievable how pervasive this problem is.

I'd say text driving = drunk driving (they both kill people).

All new cell phones in 2016 should have a driver mode for going over a certain speed. How to enable this is a multibillion dollar question.

Anyone want to make a startup?

ace23
08-17-2015, 05:50 PM
This is disheartening.

self driving cars will be nice.

Yup. Very interesting stuff going on at Google.

~primetime~
08-17-2015, 05:52 PM
Self driving cars will happen...in like 30 years

In the mean time we gotta do something to keep idiots off their phones

Jameerthefear
08-17-2015, 05:55 PM
i can't tell you how many people i see going 70 mph on the interstate all while looking at their phones. it's ridiculous.

NumberSix
08-17-2015, 05:57 PM
Has there been a rise in the Asian population that corresponds with this rise?

UK2K
08-17-2015, 05:58 PM
i can't tell you how many people i see going 70 mph on the interstate all while looking at their phones. it's ridiculous.
I do it all the time.

The way I see it, ive had my license for 11 years and never been in a wreck. Several speeding tickets, but no wrecks.

Therefore, if i happen to get in a wreck looking down at my phone, im still a better driver than just about everybody I know.

Batzboy
08-17-2015, 06:04 PM
I'm guessing this is some joke, right?

~primetime~
08-17-2015, 06:07 PM
I do it all the time.

The way I see it, ive had my license for 11 years and never been in a wreck. Several speeding tickets, but no wrecks.

Therefore, if i happen to get in a wreck looking down at my phone, im still a better driver than just about everybody I know.
But you would possibly be dead, killing others too

I can't tell if you're serious with this logic..."I've never been in a wreck, so I get to juggle bowling balls while a drive, if I happen to wreck I'm still > "

ace23
08-17-2015, 06:13 PM

For sure, but prototypes are already on the road. I think they'll be available to the public soon, 2025 at the latest

Velocirap31
08-17-2015, 06:40 PM

They're actually a lot closer than this. All car manufacturers should have a self driving car by 2020.

tmacattack33
08-17-2015, 06:52 PM
]I guess it's the universes way of enforcing natural selection.[/B]. Don't want to sound like a dick but is that text all that interesting that you must look at it that instance instead of waiting 10minutes?!?

People are way too caught up with this social media/pop/celebrity culture(and I know this on the surface has no connection with texting while driving)

Yeah but half the time the casualty is the other person, who was doing nothing wrong.

Jameerthefear
08-17-2015, 06:54 PM
I do it all the time.

is this a bait post?

navy
08-17-2015, 07:00 PM
is this a bait post?
No. UK2k literally thinks he's the greatest person in the world. And then proceeds to rant about how others are narcissistic.

UK2K
08-17-2015, 07:03 PM
is this a bait post?
No.

Just saying I drive while texting.

I'm doing it now.

UK2K
08-17-2015, 07:04 PM
No. UK2k literally thinks he's the greatest person in the world. And then proceeds to rant about how others are narcissistic.
Nah I have plenty of faults. Because I am superior to you doesn't mean you have to hate me for it.

I also didn't say i condone it either.

If i get a ticket for driving and using my cell phone, i wont bitch about it.

Jameerthefear
08-17-2015, 07:30 PM
the funny thing is people like him think you're just putting your own life in danger. if it was that i'd be like "okay do it natural selection"
but it's not. you are putting other's lives in danger because you can't wait to text at ****ing home. you're a ****ing prick

Lensanity
08-17-2015, 07:39 PM
I'm currently typing this post while driving

Batzboy
08-17-2015, 07:40 PM
I'm currently typing this drive while posting

CavaliersFTW
08-17-2015, 07:41 PM
Nah I have plenty of faults. Because I am superior to you doesn't mean you have to hate me for it.

I also didn't say i condone it either.

If i get a ticket for driving and using my cell phone, i wont bitch about it.
To gloat about texting and driving is like gloating about driving drunk. You're alive with no incident so far? Great, who cares, texting and driving is like playing Russian roulette with a cartridge that has several-hundred empty slots. Only the gun isn't just pointed at your head it's also pointed at the heads of others who cross paths with you on the road. Texting and driving doesn't cause accidents in everyone who does it. But it ramps up the odds a great deal, as evidenced by disproprtionately rising traffic deaths in this cell phone using generation. And no it isn't your skill with your phone or driving habits or some bullshit like your narcissistic mind is thinking. You divert momentary attention to your phone, something happens in front of you, you won't see it or have time to react quickly. Period.

ballup
08-17-2015, 07:54 PM
I get the temptation to look at your phone while driving, but I don't get why people don't get a dock that attaches to the windshield or above the dashboard. At least then you'd have your peripherals. It makes no sense to take your eyes completely off the road no matter what.

UK2K
08-17-2015, 08:19 PM
To gloat about texting and driving is like gloating about driving drunk. You're alive with no incident so far? Great, who cares, texting and driving is like playing Russian roulette with a cartridge that has several-hundred empty slots. Only the gun isn't just pointed at your head it's also pointed at the heads of others who cross paths with you on the road. Texting and driving doesn't cause accidents in everyone who does it. But it ramps up the odds a great deal, as evidenced by disproprtionately rising traffic deaths in this cell phone using generation. And no it isn't your skill with your phone or driving habits or some bullshit like your narcissistic mind is thinking. You divert momentary attention to your phone, something happens in front of you, you won't see it or have time to react quickly. Period.

And people have licenses who probably couldn't pass a drivers test.

I don't pretend I'm impervious to harm. I accept the risks.
People are distracted by things on the road all the time. Putting on makeup, lighting cigarettes, yelling at kids. It happens.

I'm not gloating at all. Just pointing out a fact.

Jameerthefear
08-17-2015, 08:23 PM

People are distracted by things on the road all the time. Putting on makeup, lighting cigarettes, yelling at kids. It happens.

you missed the point again. this isn't just about you.

CavaliersFTW
08-17-2015, 08:39 PM

Your take on this is that of a person who values only themselves. So you see other people doing distracting things on the road? Who cares, two wrongs don't make a right. You are acting like you doing risky shit that puts other people in harms way is considered acceptable merely because you've seen other people act the same way. Are you a man? Or or are you a boy? Your pictures you posted looked like a man but this opinion you've given mirrors that of a child.

If you understand the risk of texting and driving be a man and stop. Did you or would you take unnecessary and preventable risks that put both you and your fellow soldiers lives in danger when you were serving in the military merely because you saw others act equally careless? I would expect more responsible behavior from a person who served time in the military.

Jameerthefear
08-17-2015, 08:47 PM
Your take on this is that of a person who values only themselves. So you see other people doing distracting things on the road? Who cares, two wrongs don't make a right. You are acting like you doing risky shit that puts other people in harms way is considered acceptable merely because you've seen other people act the same way. Are you a man? Or or are you a boy? Your pictures you posted looked like a man but this opinion you've given mirrors that of a child.

If you understand the risk of texting and driving be a man and stop. Did you or would you take unnecessary and preventable risks that put both you and your fellow soldiers lives in danger when you were serving in the military merely because you saw others act equally careless? I would expect more responsible behavior from a person who served time in the military.
why? most military ppl are douches and dumb. it doesn't surprise me

oarabbus
08-17-2015, 08:48 PM
If the phone's GPS/accelerometer is recording speed >30mph, it doesn't allow texting. Easy fix.

Lensanity
08-17-2015, 08:48 PM
If the phone's GPS/accelerometer is recording speed >30mph, it doesn't allow texting. Easy fix.

You can't think of why that is a beyond stupid idea? Just think about it.

Fire Colangelo
08-17-2015, 08:50 PM

I have no right to tell you what to do but... that's kind of ****ed up.

Two wrongs don't make a right. A lot of times it takes two unaware people to get into dangerous accidents that could've been avoided if just one person was fully paying attention.

You accept the risks... of putting other people in danger? lol wtf?

Pushxx
08-17-2015, 09:10 PM
It's not just phones. People's attention spans in general are shorter than ever. I see people doing all types of crazy shit while driving... because apparently driving isn't enough to keep their minds occupied. I saw a guy eating a bowl of cereal while driving the other day.

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Good points, too.

enayes
08-17-2015, 10:03 PM

:applause:

I agree 100%. Props for putting this douche in his place.

enayes
08-17-2015, 10:07 PM
I don't understand why people try to carry on full conversations while driving. It doesn't make any sense. My fiancee has started calling me on her way home from work and I refuse to talk to her while she is driving.

Occasionally I'll send a quick "ok" message or something like that but I never try to type out a whole sentence. I will look at my texts and if it warrants a response I pull over and reply.

One question I have that I don't feel like googling. Is it illegal to text while you're stopped at a red light? I had to do this somewhat often this summer for my job, I was a driver and needed to communicate with other drivers about pickups, etc.

I live in NY.

~primetime~
08-18-2015, 12:18 AM

So because other people are distracted you feel you have the right to text and drive?

Your logic is fcking awful...I only hope that if you crash while texting that only you dies.

ace23
08-18-2015, 12:53 AM
I had to do this somewhat often this summer for my job, I was a driver and needed to communicate with other drivers about pickups, etc.
Don't you have a Master's degree? Or was that somebody else?

enayes
08-18-2015, 02:01 AM
Don't you have a Master's degree? Or was that somebody else?

I have a Master's and even though I knew it was most likely illegal it is much safer than trying to do it while driving. I would send a quick message while stopped and put the phone down before I started to go. Seems pretty safe to me.

EDIT: Actually I was wrong, it appears that texting in NY is only illegal if the vehicle is in motion, so doing it while stopped at a light is legal.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/08/23/new-yorkers-close-loophole-for-texting-at-red-lights/

Smoke117
08-18-2015, 06:28 AM
More black people and border jumpers must have gotten DL's lately...DATS RACIST!?!?!?!?!??! LOZLZOLZ dj;alfdkja;fdljka;ljfd'adj
Racism is only offensive if you're a dumb ****ing mutt too stupid to realize that people are are throwing a grape cola connected to a line drawing you in like your a fish...because its that easy and you are so easily manipulated. Maybe think more and stop being so easily manipulated by obvious bait you dumb f@cking hebes. (see how easy that is...went from shitting on blacks to jews...who knew? ****ing children)

Hawker
08-18-2015, 06:53 AM
More people need to drive a stick.

My kid will be driving sticks so he can't text/call while driving.

Mute point if he's on an open road but the risk is much, much, much smaller there anyway.

UK2K
08-18-2015, 07:08 AM
So because other people are distracted you feel you have the right to text and drive?

Your logic is fcking awful...I only hope that if you crash while texting that only you dies.
Me too.

I hope anyone distracted by anything that crashes, its only them dying.

Next time you turn into the back seat to yell at your kids or drop milkshake on your shirt...

You get the point.

Just kidding I don't hope anyone dies.

UK2K
08-18-2015, 07:23 AM

http://time.com/3561413/texting-driving-dangerous/

75% of people text and drive.

Chances are, others in here do but don't admit to it. Just like others in this thread will drink and drive.

I just admit to it.

Do you drive with two hands on the wheel at all times at 10 and 2 and never turn your head or don't pay attention to what's going on around you?

I thought so..

But you'll say 'but its only for a moment,' and I'll say, all it takes is one second you're willingly putting others in danger. Then you'll try to personally attack me because I pointed out you are not a perfect driver

Bosnian Sajo
08-18-2015, 10:11 AM
Idk...

I think it is idiotic to text while there is a car right in front of you driving. You never know when he will brake, never know if he is gonna turn or not unless you are looking at his back lights. It's different when there is little to no traffic, then it is all gucci (doesn't mean take your eyes off the road and text for 5 minutes). IDK about yall but only time I text nd drive is if I'm at a full stop, driving in a slow area like the hood, or if I'm about to scoop someone up and letting em know to be outside. My biggest problem is searching for songs on youtube on my phone :lol But I do that mostly by not even looking at my phone, only glancing over to see if I typed in the song correctly.

UK2K
08-18-2015, 10:34 AM
Idk...

I think it is idiotic to text while there is a car right in front of you driving. You never know when he will brake, never know if he is gonna turn or not unless you are looking at his back lights. It's different when there is little to no traffic, then it is all gucci (doesn't mean take your eyes off the road and text for 5 minutes). IDK about yall but only time I text nd drive is if I'm at a full stop, driving in a slow area like the hood, or if I'm about to scoop someone up and letting em know to be outside. My biggest problem is searching for songs on youtube on my phone :lol But I do that mostly by not even looking at my phone, only glancing over to see if I typed in the song correctly.

My commute home is about an hour in traffic. Literally, stopped traffic on the interstate.

I text almost the entire time. I get above 30 when I accelerate onto the on ramp.

Most of the time I talk to text. Very rarely does it mess up what I am trying to say. When I get a text back, my Bluetooth will read it for me. Its pretty simple.

The majority of crashes caused by cell phones and driving are teenagers who cant drive for shit anyway. The cell phone certainly isnt going to help matters.

In 2013, 3,154 people were killed in motor vehicle crashes involving distracted drivers. This represents a 6.7 percent decrease in the number of fatalities recorded in 2012. Unfortunately, approximately 424,000 people were injured, which is an increase from the 421,000 people who were injured in 2012.

10% of drivers of all ages under the age of 20 involved in fatal crashes were reported as distracted at the time of the crash. This age group has the largest proportion of drivers who were distracted.

It's likely not going to change until there is a mechanical way to disable texting while driving. Laws wont do anything. How many in this thread speed? But you know its illegal, and increases your risk of an accident, potentially killing someone else? Yeah, thought so.

This is another campaign, something else to get behind. That's all.

Velocirap31
08-18-2015, 11:55 AM
More people need to drive a stick.

My kid will be driving sticks so he can't text/call while driving.

Mute point if he's on an open road but the risk is much, much, much smaller there anyway.

Your kid will probably never drive a car. Neither will mine. Cars will soon be portable living rooms with nice furniture and televisions.

iamgine
08-18-2015, 01:24 PM
Some people can handle drunk driving and text driving. Some can't because they don't know their limit. Simple as that. I've driven with alcohol level beyond legal limit and perform very good driving. And I've seen others who do the same and their driving isn't impaired at all.

CavaliersFTW
08-18-2015, 01:57 PM
Texts and drives despite putting other people in harms way because "other people do it" and because "way better driver" than "teens" who've been in accidents: In a car with a body kit:

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=384501

http://i416.photobucket.com/albums/pp241/jvabadsantos/C9D4937D-486C-41FC-BAF5-4A5FC4454310-21199-0000177952F54616.jpg

Looks just like my car, minus the black rims and the weird license plate.

http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/44/4433ffeb2dea409a3ab6b3e0bfdf2ab98f47276895991d6251 5703024090cf16.jpg

Bruh you've got to be trolling at this point there's no way that opinion is real :lol

enayes
08-19-2015, 01:15 AM
UK2k please bump this thread when you get a ticket or get in an accident due to your relentless texting habits. It will be funny to laugh at you. You can laugh at yourself too and think back on how stupid you were.