PDA

View Full Version : How important is Al Horford to the Hawks?

Richesly
08-18-2015, 09:01 PM
I am saying this because of what difference he made this season and I use to think Teague was more important but after this season, it's obviously Horford.

Horford, imo, would be a top ten player without Hibbert intentionally injuring him and then having the same injury the next season.

Horford is not a "get his" kinda guy, and shares the ball and plays the set. When he did get in this position after the Hawks sat 4 starters against the 76ers and Horford was the only one that played, he had a 30/10/10 game and won the game.

Does he make the Hawks what the Hawks are?

He also is amazing at pulling the chair, which is why he isn't abused from centers. He has a quick first step, along with tricky jab steps, I mean shit this is a unique player.

Akrazotile
08-18-2015, 09:12 PM
I am saying this because of what difference he made this season and I use to think Teague was more important but after this season, it's obviously Horford.

Horford, imo, would be a top ten player without Hibbert intentionally injuring him and then having the same injury the next season.

Horford is not a "get his" kinda guy, and shares the ball and plays the set. When he did get in this position after the Hawks sat 4 starters against the 76ers and Horford was the only one that played, he had a 30/10/10 game and won the game.

Does he make the Hawks what the Hawks are?

He also is amazing at pulling the chair, which is why he isn't abused from centers. He has a quick first step, along with tricky jab steps, I mean shit this is a unique player.

:oldlol:

AI09
08-19-2015, 04:10 AM
^^^^^^^/thread

GIF REACTION
08-19-2015, 05:54 AM
Demarcus Cousins had a 24/21/10/6 game against the 2nd seed in the west.

GimmeThat
08-19-2015, 07:29 AM
like a striking chord in harmony

if you were to replace the Hawks strategy with more of a strong perimeter shooting style team. 1/3/5 would be the way to go, similar to a strong midfielder, strong center forward, and striker.

If you want to go with a strategy in which involves less reliance on simple iso/double, but dribble penetration, to help create spacing (call it the reverse triple post if you will, not that such term/strategy even exist) Then having a Chris Bosh (high percentage perimeter shooter) or a play maker becomes key. similar to having multiple mid-fielder/forward or multiple forward/striker.

I'll leave it up to whoever to translate how that goes on the defensive end of the field. But I've always utilized the counter strategy in game play to assume the players would stretch the floor based off of score, tempo of the game, and opponents.

[End Rant]

QuebecBaller
08-19-2015, 07:29 AM
Demarcus Cousins had a 24/21/10/6 game against the 2nd seed in the west.

And the Kings lost like always? :lol

imdaman99
08-19-2015, 07:43 AM
He's the Hawks best individual player. He is more important than Teague now that the Hawks have a good backup PG.

But he is no star.

RidonKs
08-19-2015, 08:26 AM
bud is the most important guy in that organization imo.

i feel for the hawks though. they have a good team but have to know they stand no chance against the real league heavyweights. if only they had that dynamic wing scorer. i was thinking they should trade teague+ and give the reigns to shroeder who imo will be a better player. but then teague is on a great contract

agree with op tho, horford is the most important guy wearing a hawks jersey for sure. tho for all his duncanesque leadership, he's hardly better than rasheed wallace.

Richesly
08-19-2015, 07:37 PM
bud is the most important guy in that organization imo.

i feel for the hawks though. they have a good team but have to know they stand no chance against the real league heavyweights. if only they had that dynamic wing scorer. i was thinking they should trade teague+ and give the reigns to shroeder who imo will be a better player. but then teague is on a great contract

agree with op tho, horford is the most important guy wearing a hawks jersey for sure. tho for all his duncanesque leadership, he's hardly better than rasheed wallace.

He's honestly much talented more than Sheed was, wtf? He literally can do every thing.

AI09
08-19-2015, 07:52 PM
Rasheed Wallace was better than AL Horford. Rasheed had the potential to become on of the best pf all time. A lot of people forget what sheed was capable of.

RidonKs
08-19-2015, 07:55 PM
He's honestly much talented more than Sheed was, wtf? He literally can do every thing.
no way is he more talented than sheed was, though he's arguably more valuable to the hawks than sheed ever was to the blazers or pistons

hawksdogsbraves
08-20-2015, 12:42 AM
He's much more important than Teague. Hell, Teague probably will be moved after next year if Schroder develops like we hope he will.

As for how important he is, just look at last season. We improved by 20+ games when he came back from injury. His ability to space the floor with his mid-range game, (and decent corner 3 which he began to flash last year) his ability to guard multiple positions and switch out on the perimeter, his ability to run the floor on the fast break - he's easily our best and most important player.

I can't wait to see him play the 4 for long stretches next year alongside Splitter, he's never really had that opportunity in his career.

Akrazotile
08-20-2015, 12:46 AM

when I say face, you say palm

FACE

outbreak
08-20-2015, 12:52 AM
http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/fgks.gif

Bosnian Sajo
08-20-2015, 01:06 AM

Obviously someone who only remembers Sheed when he was in a Celtics jersey.

Pushxx
08-20-2015, 02:06 AM
Bunch of people in here disrespecting Sheed's game smh.

Akrazotile
08-20-2015, 03:22 AM
Bunch of people in here disrespecting Sheed's game smh.

"Bunch of" = 1?

Heavincent
08-20-2015, 03:35 AM

What?

Sheed played with the energy of a hung over rec leaguer, but still managed to be a an absolute monster. That's how talented he was.

J Shuttlesworth
08-20-2015, 03:36 AM
"Bunch of" = 1?
:roll:

Akrazotile
08-20-2015, 03:43 AM
:roll:
http://img.pandawhale.com/97228-spaceballs-high-five-gif-tumbl-cOzT.gif

Richesly
08-20-2015, 06:07 AM
Yet no one has argued why Sheed is better.

Smh.

Horford is much better in the post than Sheed was, he has every move down in the book. Defensively, Horford wins this easily as Sheed was lazy on the defensive end while Horford is active as ever. Horford has a more reliable mid range jumper, actually most people consider him one of the best 14 foot shooters in the game.

Sheed can shoot threes better and was a better scorer, cool.

Uncle Drew
08-20-2015, 06:24 AM
He's honestly much talented more than Sheed was, wtf?
Bwahahaha.

Log off.

Clifton
08-20-2015, 07:49 AM
Rasheed Wallace is a great comparison.

I don't think he's as good as Sheed was overall, but it's fair to compare them.

As for OP's question, I don't consider him too far off from the league's top 10. But there's no way he's a top 10 player.

Sheed Wallace never was either, if you think about it. Even in his prime with Detroit, nobody would think to compare him with Dirk, KG, Duncan, even Webber. He didn't have a takeover mentality.

However, the lack of a takeover mentality can be of benefit to a team. I remember Sheed at nearly 40 years old being an essential piece of the New York Knicks, and then he got injured and the balance of that team completely fall apart once they lost his patient approach in the frontcourt.

I don't know if the 4-pronged attack of the Pistons would have been improved by having monotonous pick and rolls with a Karl Malone type every possession. I also don't know if the Hawks would be improved by having DeMarcus Cousins. Their brand of deadly offense is a delicate balance, and Horford is perfect for it.

JGXEN
08-20-2015, 08:57 AM
you deserve 10000 negs for your blasphemous remark

Richesly
08-20-2015, 09:56 AM
you deserve 10000 negs for your blasphemous remark

Okay, **** off little boy who thinks he watched Sheed even play.

Uncle Drew
08-20-2015, 10:38 AM
Okay, **** off little boy who thinks he watched Sheed even play.
Says mister Horford is more talented than Sheed. :roll:

Are you out of your damn mind?

RidonKs
08-20-2015, 10:45 AM
not like sheed is on an entirely different level

the main difference is sheed had post moves. horford isn't exactly a bag of tricks with his back to the basket. sheed also had more range. but i'd call al the better rebounder and offensive playmaker. he's not breaking anybody down for kickout threes, but he can orchestrate on offense from the high post. i wouldn't be comfortable trusting sheed to do that for long stretches. and horford can still take it to the hoop when he has to, maybe not as well as sheed if ur desperate for a bucket.

i think if i had to choose one or the other, i'd probably take horford. you know exactly what you're getting with that guy. sheed also used to take some really bad shots, like a quick three or something. meh

makes sense that sheed's overrated since he was so popular i guess

Richesly
08-20-2015, 06:54 PM
not like sheed is on an entirely different level

the main difference is sheed had post moves. horford isn't exactly a bag of tricks with his back to the basket. sheed also had more range. but i'd call al the better rebounder and offensive playmaker. he's not breaking anybody down for kickout threes, but he can orchestrate on offense from the high post. i wouldn't be comfortable trusting sheed to do that for long stretches. and horford can still take it to the hoop when he has to, maybe not as well as sheed if ur desperate for a bucket.

i think if i had to choose one or the other, i'd probably take horford. you know exactly what you're getting with that guy. sheed also used to take some really bad shots, like a quick three or something. meh

makes sense that sheed's overrated since he was so popular i guess

Future repped.

I really thought it was a good comparison, but I do disagree with you on post moves and he has one of the best mid range jumpers in the game. I think Al does have a bag of tricks. It's not very known though and most people just think he can shoot the mid range J when he can literally do anything.

Sheed was lazy and was a defensive liability.

ihatetimthomas
08-20-2015, 09:10 PM
I feel at their primes its a comparable comparison. But the one thing that separates is I think Sheed's versatile skills never realized their potential where Horford has peaked. I don't like to play the game of "what ifs" but I believe Rasheed could have ascended to greater heights than what he was if he could have been more motivated and avoided the off court troubles.

I believe Rasheed had the skills to be a elite 2-way player and possible franchise player. Players always said he was one of the toughest guys to play against because his length and quickness made it hell to create against. I like Horford but I think Sheed was more versatile.

As it stands in reality, I think they are very close.

Legends66NBA7
08-20-2015, 10:56 PM
Sheed was lazy and was a defensive liability.

Lazy is one thing, but he was far from a defensive liability. The hell ?